No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanting to get back to the jump rope............. gonna give it a few jumps to see how the shins do.

Edit: I did 50 jumps so far no pain in the shins. When I get home tonight I might do another 50 --- I didn't do Barre3 this morning so that's on my list also.

I scheduled Stanley Steemer to come on Friday and do the upstairs hall, and master bed/bath. It really shows the dirt next to the cleaned stairway.
    Last edited by tomi; 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Not sure what this body is doing. Weight still 183. However - I've lost inches in my waste and bra size. I'm down to wearing a 36C. I haven't measured my waste, but I have shape again - curves and definition that I haven't seen in a very long time. I like it! Maybe the muscle I've built is finally burning some fat off?

I've been eating light but to satisfaction. I don't count calories anymore. Yesterday - 3 eggs cooked in a little olive oil, cashew snacks most of the afternoon and a large chicken breast for dinner with a little ketchup and honey mustard. Half a Kumbocha. That's not much food -- but I'm sure the calories from the cashews were enough to keep me in the right range. Today - eggs as always, and fish for dinner. Still not adding carbs (although the cashews are plenty carby!!)

I'm hoping to see the scale drop -- but I'm more concerned with getting back into the size 12 jeans that are patiently waiting in my closet. I'll be happy at that size for a while --- but the goal is much smaller. I'm aiming for a size 6 at this point. Size 6 pants and small/medium tops.

The other day I was talking with my family about weight issues. My nephews girlfriend was saying she weighs about 145 pounds - yet she's a size 2. She's just very solid - dense bones and muscle. Theres not an ounce of fat on her - and no, she doesn't work out at all. She's also 23 years old. Anyway............. I said "I'm going to be 135 pounds again" and my sister laughed and said, "Yeah, good luck with that one!!" I instantly went into CHALLENGE mode!!! GAME ON, SISTER!!! All it takes is one of my sisters to tell me I can't do something - and my determination to prove them wrong kicks into gear! What started me on this primal path was my oldest sister (the one VERY obese and sick with diabetes and fibro) told her daughter, who told me, "You watch, in 5 years Tomi will be right where I am" .................. OH HELL NOOOOOOO!!!!!! And here I am 2 years later - with fibro under control and running circles around her! By this time next year I will be at my goal!! I may not see 135 on the scale - but I'll be a size 6!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Go get 'em Tomi! Remember this determination when the corn chips and rum appear this weekend.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          Go get 'em Tomi! Remember this determination when the corn chips and rum appear this weekend.
          I will!!!!
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I jumped 50 times, then waited about an hour and did 50 more. so far no shin pain I also did a good 10 minute Barre3 total body workout. I have decided Sadie is definitely my favorite (she's the founder). the other girls are good - but she has this "adorable factor" that just makes the workout more fun.

I'm really happy with the changes in my thighs! I was getting that fat middle aged woman poochy thing over my knee and now it is gone! Once I lose the fat and continue to tone I think I will actually have pretty nice looking legs! I have never had nice looking legs - well, maybe when I was 16 and jumping around with my fellow cheerleaders - but not since then!
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Holy bloat! I had my nut snack after work and now I feel like my stomach is going to pop!!! I'm going to need to find a different after work hunger buster to hold me over until dinner. Some days it doesn't cause this bloat and some days it does. Maybe its the "mixing" of the nuts that causes the issue - cuz the past 3 days I have eaten only cashews and I didn't have the bloat - but today I had 6 or 8 other nuts too and now I feel yucko.

I have also noticed I have more "air" when I eat nuts. Whats up with that?
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• Almonds are my worst nut for bloating.
                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I was careful not to eat any almonds. I guess I need to just not eat nuts at all. That makes me sad

Feeling yucky today --- we ate Mexican last night. I tried to order something that looked safe and then I picked it apart so I wouldn't eat any onions......... but I guess that wasn't good enough cuz the tummy is not happy today. I picked out the chicken pieces and carrots and ate the little bit of rice that was in the bottom of it all. I didn't eat any of the tortillas so I consider that a victory! I did have a few corn chips and refried beans though Very few and very little. Only the chips/dip stuff they bring before the meal. I bet not more than 1 TB of beans, and maybe 5 chips. So I guess that's another victory, albeit, a small one.

Weight still 183 --- at least I'm consistent. I know my gut is still inflamed because I've had mild diarrhea for a couple days. I guess I'm still eating something that isn't good for me. Must be the nuts? I wonder if my weight would drop if I could get rid of the inflammation? My pants are starting to get looser and I'm always pulling them up - gonna need a belt!

I'm trying to get to work........... I tried but had to turn around and come home for round 3 in the bathroom. At least I'm not in terrible pain - just the need to "go". I guess I'll try again........... good thing I don't have a set schedule.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Tomi, I am sure the weight will drop once your gut is healing, but if you're still having diarrhea, that's probably not happening yet. It kind of sounds like eating out isn't doing you any favors.

The SCD actually starts off like this (though ideally you should have some kind of probiotic too):
                    -eggs are fine
                    -chicken soup (include skin & dark meat, use carrots, celery, and onions; remove skin & break up chicken after it's cooked; remove all veggies, discard all but carrots, puree the carrots and add back in)
                    -broiled, baked, or grilled meats
                    -pureed carrots (must be pureed or they may not digest fully)
                    -add any primal-friendly fat you want

I think you might want to try this for a few days and see how your tummy goes. It's very soothing. I'd suggest trying pureed squash next, if that's FODMAPS friendly.
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• Yeah, I second the probiotics! They can do wonders for your gut flora. I take mine in diluted GoodBelly juice. ALSO: a testament to their solidifying factor, even in pets - I was dog-sitting for my brother's dog, and she had a few days of diarrhea. My SIL called the vet, and they told her to buy a puppy probiotic. Started the dog on them and no more diarrhea! Amazing.
                      My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
                      Goal BF%: 20-23

Comment

• I just ordered a good probiotic and it should be delivered in a few days.

Eating out is difficult unless we go to a steak house. But sometimes hubby wants Mexican

Onions are a no no on Fodmaps so I would need to leave that out. I might give this a try. I bought carrots and celery and I think I have a whole chicken in the freezer. I think I will make the soup this weekend.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• I will say it again-- I think it is impossible to tell what exactly is irritating your gut/causing your issues.There has not been a significant time frame of eating clean primal approved foods only.

My experience taught me that my issues only resolved after MONTHS of staying away from grains(including corn & rice), sugar and alcohol. I did not try to assign responsibility to any food during the early months of changing my ways. Imodium was my friend until it was no longer needed.

Another thing-- restaurant food was always problematic for me. Beans at a Mexican place had been off my food list for years.

I suggest picking things you will routinely eat. For me, it was eggs with low sugar/splenda ketchup and bacon for breakfast. Or tri-tip roast with ketchup, bacon, and cheese-maybe some veggies.

Lunch was a salad with chicken, turkey, or ham with a low carb muffin. Or meat, cheese, veggie plate. Once a week I'd make tuna salad and use celery as a spoon.

Dinner was meat, veggies,usually. Sometimes I would make cheeseburger pie with a salad or baked spaghetti subbing cabbage for the noodles.

I also suggest you prepare for those walk in the door from work starving times. Cook up some chicken or any meat, slice, freeze and then take slices out as needed, defrost in the microwave, eat.

Some tough love-- you repeatedly say you want to heal your gut yet routinely veer off course. I have said in the past that the first step is getting your head firmly wrapped around/committed to a plan that excludes--grains, sugar, alcohol. You are not committed,

Until you can absolutely take those things out of your diet COMPLETELY I do not see your gut issues resolving.

Some hope-- I can now dabble with things, that were off the table, without gut issue- real pizza, restaurant foods, wine, etc. Diarrhea is now a rare thing I can deal with and pinpoint the reason why. It is not an every day pain in the ass/life disruptor.

Comment

• Marcadav --- You always bring me back to that basics. MONTHS? that's the part that I get hung up on. That's the part I can't commit too. I feel like eating small bits here and there shouldn't cause so much trouble. Obviously that's not the case. I need to talk to hubby and get his help and support cuz he can very easily pull me off course. I hate saying, "I can't eat that" He just doesn't understand cuz he has a cast iron gut and nothing upsets his system. I think if I had doctors orders he would be more helpful and understanding - but I don't, I'm doing this on my own.

Okay............. I've said it before - I'm going to do this. I need to wake up every morning and re-commit. Sorry I've been so flakey. And thanks for sticking with me.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                              I feel like eating small bits here and there shouldn't cause so much trouble.
                              and I feel like by putting small change in a jar I should be a millionaire, sadly it doesn't work that way. Seriously tomi, Marcadav gives some great advice.

and yes, it sucks. Sorry, but it does. But a year of suck for a lifetime of not having diarrhea/gut issues sounds like a net win to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                                Marcadav --- You always bring me back to that basics. MONTHS? that's the part that I get hung up on. That's the part I can't commit too. I feel like eating small bits here and there shouldn't cause so much trouble. Obviously that's not the case. I need to talk to hubby and get his help and support cuz he can very easily pull me off course. I hate saying, "I can't eat that" He just doesn't understand cuz he has a cast iron gut and nothing upsets his system. I think if I had doctors orders he would be more helpful and understanding - but I don't, I'm doing this on my own.

Okay............. I've said it before - I'm going to do this. I need to wake up every morning and re-commit. Sorry I've been so flakey. And thanks for sticking with me.
                                Tomi, your believe that your husband needs to/should be supportive, understanding, and on board is, IMO, your second mistake.. This is your life and your issue. You are the only person who needs to be supportive and on board. You have control over what you do, don't do, allow in mouth.

There are temptations, people, reasons to stray, everywhere. You and only you are responsible/will suffer the consequences for the choices YOU choose to make. No one can pull you off course unless YOU let them.

Why do you hate saying I can't eat that? Is it because you want to participate with your husband in eating crap? Are you afraid that not participating will negatively affect your relationship? Are you afraid to stand up for your right to not eat things you don't want to? Is having your husband tempt you a good excuse to eat things you want ?

Find YOUR why(s). And then find your ways to combat them.

Change what you say from "I can't eat that" to "I choose to not eat that. It's not worth the pain it will cause." Then add if need be, "Please respect my choice."

However, more than anything, I think YOU have to decide that not eating/drinking xyz, for as long as it takes to heal, is more important than the momentary pleasure you get from ingesting it.

YOU can do this. You just have to want it more than you want to give in to the temptations.

Comment

Working...
                                X