No announcement yet.

Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomi, I went back through your journal to see if I could see what might be at the root of your issues. I only went back one month and what I see is that the choices you made, if it were me making them, would give me the same symptoms you are having.

I think it's too soon to say you have a list of do not eat foods. I think it's more the continuous hits(every few days over the last month) of sugar, alcohol, and wheat that have and keep your gut rebelling. Just because your gut reacts to the onions/fruit/ etc you ate today or yesterday doesn't mean they are causing the problem. Get the most obvious causational offenders--wheat, sugar, booze-- out, for a good length of time and then add back questionable things one at a time.

It took several months of no deviations for my diarrhea issues to really settle down.

I also see a bit of all or nothing thinking/action going on-- Meaning you deviate with sugar, booze, wheat, then decide to go super restrictive (eggs/meat/fish). The deviation leads to overcompensation and the overcompensation leads to deviation. It becomes a vicious cycle.

The restrictive phase also seems to be very low calorie (900-1100). This might also be driving the deviation.

I would like you to do a 30-60 day solid primal plan. By that I mean eat foods from The Blueprint. Do not track, do not measure, eat when hungry and until satisfied. Do not deviate/tweak the entire time. Note how you feel at the end of each day.

I think your gut needs a rest and time to normalize. Throwing ever changing protocols-whole30, LCHF, FODMAPS, into the mix of sugar, booze and wheat deviations can not, IMO, give dependable data as to what is or is not creating the underlying problem.

Finally, I suggest you think about what you will do and what you wont. Let it run around your mind for a while. You have a birthday and reunion coming up. I would formulate the plan, set a side a few minutes a day to think/review it and then start implementing it with true commitment after those dates have passed.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
      Tomi, I went back through your journal to see if I could see what might be at the root of your issues. I only went back one month and what I see is that the choices you made, if it were me making them, would give me the same symptoms you are having.

I think it's too soon to say you have a list of do not eat foods. I think it's more the continuous hits(every few days over the last month) of sugar, alcohol, and wheat that have and keep your gut rebelling. Just because your gut reacts to the onions/fruit/ etc you ate today or yesterday doesn't mean they are causing the problem. Get the most obvious causational offenders--wheat, sugar, booze-- out, for a good length of time and then add back questionable things one at a time.

It took several months of no deviations for my diarrhea issues to really settle down.

I also see a bit of all or nothing thinking/action going on-- Meaning you deviate with sugar, booze, wheat, then decide to go super restrictive (eggs/meat/fish). The deviation leads to overcompensation and the overcompensation leads to deviation. It becomes a vicious cycle.

The restrictive phase also seems to be very low calorie (900-1100). This might also be driving the deviation.

I would like you to do a 30-60 day solid primal plan. By that I mean eat foods from The Blueprint. Do not track, do not measure, eat when hungry and until satisfied. Do not deviate/tweak the entire time. Note how you feel at the end of each day.

I think your gut needs a rest and time to normalize. Throwing ever changing protocols-whole30, LCHF, FODMAPS, into the mix of sugar, booze and wheat deviations can not, IMO, give dependable data as to what is or is not creating the underlying problem.

Finally, I suggest you think about what you will do and what you wont. Let it run around your mind for a while. You have a birthday and reunion coming up. I would formulate the plan, set a side a few minutes a day to think/review it and then start implementing it with true commitment after those dates have passed.
      This sounds like very wise advice.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Look at Practical Paleo if you need help. It has specialized diet plans.
        Female 55
        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• thanks for taking the time and energy to help me out on this. You are absolutely right - I have an all or nothing mentality. That's a part of my personality.

I agree that I need to heal my gut before introducing anything new - no wheat, sugar or alcohol is in the plan. But I know the 2 weeks I ate nothing but protein made me feel amazing! The diarrhea stopped and I had lots of energy - and I lost 9 pounds. So, that's where I'm going to focus my efforts. I need to dial it all back - and start from the basics. In the beginning of this - November 2011 I was very strict primal for several months, with only a couple small deviations. It didn't help the gut issues at all - in fact, increasing the veggies made my problems worse. Eating an apple or drinking a glass of juice would cause immediate pain and diarrhea. I'm 100% sure I have fructose malabsorption so I have to do a diet with that in mind. I need to go back to the basics of the elimination diet and go from there.

Yes, its drastic, and yes its an all or nothing mindset. But in the past 7 years, that 2 weeks was the longest I've gone without daily pain and chronic diarrhea. I have to believe that my answer lies in what I was doing for those 2 weeks. Proteins don't hurt me - so I'm going to start there.

Hope you'll stay with me for the experiment and give me a leg up when I fall off the horse......... cuz I'm sure I will.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Marcadav is one wise lady, indeed. I'd take her advice seriously. I totally agree that you're derailing yourself every couple of days with some stuff that you know for certain that don't work for you. Eat of the basics to satiety, no counting. You've mentioned you don't like fermented foods, but what about bone broth? Super easy to make, and a cup or more daily would be easy on the gut and very nourishing.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Wow, terrific post marcadav! I'm going to save that.
              My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Fantastic concert! You need to see Scotty in concert, Tomi. High energy performance that just didn't quit!
                Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Another vote for bone broth. It has made such a difference for me, and now that I am in the habit it is easy to make.
                  My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Well, I was just about to put some "tough love" in here, but marcadav beat me to it.
                    I don't understand how you can still drink rum or eat wheat if you KNOW you're going to feel bad afterwards! I know I don't stay 100% paleo all of the time, but sure as hell will NEVER 'cheat' on gluten, because I know I will be feeling like crap afterwards. I mean, it's your body, your health! C'mon woman, no glass of rum can be worth all the pain and bloat you get afterwards. No hamburger bun can be worth a whole day of fibro pain. Really.

I don't mean to upset you or hurt you, but think about it. Marcadav is right and surely put it down way better than me (sometimes it's hard for me to write what I mean, because I'm not native english).
                    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Oh yes and bone broth: all what they've said and then some . Just make sure to get bones from pasture raised animals .
                      My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                      My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                      Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                      Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Okay Tomi time to put your big girl panties on and get serious!
                        Female 55
                        Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 165
                        Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Comment

• thanks, girls............ it's easier to look at yourself honestly when you're seeing with someone else's perspective.

today is a new day - a new start.

Big girls panties are firmly in place.
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I started this journal with the intention of working through some difficult areas of my life - my poor eating habits which have lead to my gut issues and to my weight problems. I also started it with the hopes of having others help me. So, thank you all for the honesty and the time you take to set me straight. And for the encouragement when I'm doing well.

I've read through Marcadav's tough love post several times now. I have to say at first I was a bit hurt -- not by Marcadav, but by the truth of it all. It spelled out my failures and weaknesses pretty clearly, and nothing hurts more than looking the ugly truth square in the face.

I have been less than committed to this venture. Food obviously carries some power over me --- foods that are bad for me carry the most power. I don't binge on apples or sweet potatoes. I eat chocolate (sugar) -- cookies (wheat) -- ice cream (dairy) -- rum/diet coke (just total crap). And in my own defense I don't "binge" at all, but it obviously doesn't take much to set my system off and make me sick. Those are the foods that cause me to stumble and fall flat on my face - and send me running to the bathroom. Those are the foods that are keeping me fat and feeling sluggish and bloated. Those are the foods that I need to eliminate from my diet completely.

I want to be successful - I want to break the power those things have over me. If they weren't in the house it would be much easier. I think I play these head games with myself............ I'll buy stuff for "hubby" knowing full well if I buy it I will eat it too. I guess I should stop buying things that I want to stop eating, and if hubby wants them he can stop at the store and get them himself. For the boat I will take cut up melons. I'll take a bag of mixed nuts w/o peanuts. I'll take jerky and carrot sticks. If hubby wants chips or other snacks he'll have to buy them himself. I won't buy ice cream anymore. Hubby will complain that we "don't have anything good to eat around here". Sorry........

I sent him a text and asked him not to buy any more rum for a month so I can get my gut healed. My hope is that after a month he'll get out of the habit of wanting it also. I have noticed that the majority of the time its me initiating having a drink. I have talked to him about my concerns that I may have a problem with alcohol. He says I don't. Honestly, I think I do in that its become a habit. I'm not physically addicted at all - but I do enjoy the taste and the relaxation it gives. I can easily not drink it if I set my mind to it - but I have it way more than I'm comfortable with. Does that make sense? I guess if I'm drinking more than I'm comfortable with then I need to stop. Its become a habit that could become a real problem.

Big Girl Panties!!!! Face my demons.......... fight them off. Thanks for helping me be honest.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Good luck tomi! Kick some demon butt.

Comment

• It may be easier for your husband not to see/understand the things that you're struggling with because he isn't with you during the day or when you're eating (sometimes? most of the time?). Does he know the misery you're going through in the bathroom? Hulky is much more supportive and helps me stick to things when I tell him when something is wrong (like my knees hurting the other day, he made me lie down and elevated my legs & gave me an ice pack), instead of just whining about it. I try to limit my whining until I'm legitimately distressed.

I think it's important for your husband to understand that even if he doesn't see you drinking as a problem, it is a problem for you. That is what is important. Can you ask him to help enforce a no-rum-for-Tomi rule? Even if it was just for a couple of months, it's a totally reasonable and healthy trial to do, in respect to any diet or health plan.
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X