Fibromyalgia and Fat - Tomi's story

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh boy - I didn't know you all were still hangin' with me

Canio - haven't heard from you at all? or in ages??

I'm feeling loved.

Yes - I'm backing off on the fat a bit to see if it helps. Its worth a try. I'll opt for leaner cuts of beef and go for the chicken instead of the fatty salmon.

I've tried probiotics in the past - but honestly didn't give them a good long try. Maybe 2 weeks and gave it up. The new vitamin "packs" that I'm taking have probiotics as a part of the whole so I will be taking them on a regular basis - daily for a month to see if these new vitamins really make me feel $100 worth better

Breakfast early was a protein shake with my liquid magnesium added in. Lunch is 2 fried eggs. Fried in only a tsp of butter - my norm has been a TB (HFLC - bye bye). I'm adding the whites back in since it didn't seem to really matter. YUMMY - I like to put smoked paprika and cayenne on my eggs! and just a little garam masala.

My weight was back up 2 pounds today - but the last 2 days I've done 30 minute Barre3 workouts and I'm sure it was from that. A little inflammation as I'm healing. Today I did 2 10 minute workouts - upper body/core and ski conditioning. Not that I'm a skier - but its a great lower body workout. I'm seeing some improvement - but with all the blubber it is still not enough to get me all excited!

I'm supposed to be at work in about 45 minutes and I haven't even showered yet. I left the TV on after doing Barre3 - and I never have daytime TV on - its Rachel Ray interviewing VJ's from the 80's when MTV was the NEW GREAT thing! What a waste of brain power........... I'm turning it off and heading for the shower............... don't go to mental image there, yucky!!
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'm still lurking. I agree with Paula about probiotics and diarrhea. When I was taking them my diarrhea came back. I tried digestive enzymes and HCL for a while. They seemed to help and I am relatively diarrhea free without them now. I do tend to drink a small amount of kombucha with meals each day.

My experience-I can now have occasional treats like pizza once a month or so without diarrhea issues. If I dabble more frequently, it seems to cause issues for a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
        Canio - haven't heard from you at all? or in ages??

I'm feeling loved.
        You should. We love you long time...err...or something.

As for me, always lurking but not always something worth saying

Comment

• Well it is nice to see that I'm cared for - and watched over

I'm back on my "high" of feeling in control and on top of things! I like this place much better than feeling lost and floundering. I'm still monitoring my weight daily - but I'm putting more stock in eating healthy and getting enough movement in my day. Barre3 has made a big difference in my muscle tone. I can really see it in my thighs (ugh, those nasty thighs!)

I wanted to share of picture of dinner last night cuz it was especially pretty on my plate!

171a.jpg

I hope that didn't turn out too small...... if so I'll try again........ OH its perfect!

recipe - one chicken breast - 2 slices of bacon - 1/2 small onion - 1/4 green pepper - and mixed veggies of your choice - I used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, sweet potato. Fry the bacon, onion and pepper until crisp - remove from pan. Add cut up chicken to bacon grease, sprinkle with smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and cinnamon. Toss until well covered with spices. Add all the veggies plus bacon mixture - cover and let cook until done to desired tenderness. Total calories ~900. It easily makes 2 meals OR one big one if your into eating one big meal a day!
          Last edited by tomi; 05-22-2013, 05:01 PM.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• You can make the above recipe with whatever meat and veggie combo you want. But alter the spices accordingly. I made it with salmon, but used garlic only.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Okay - I've concluded that the probiotics are definitely doing a number on my digestive system. Again last night I had the full feeling and the swooshy grumbly noises within 30 minutes of taking it. This morning I had to run to the bathroom at about 6 am cuz I was sure I was going to throw up. A couple burps and the feeling subsided, but didn't completely go away for about an hour. It has to be the probiotics cuz I only get that feeling after the evening dose of pills and the probiotics is only in the evening pack. Process of elimination points to the probiotics. I must have some nasty fighting going on in there! I'm going to stick it out until my supply of vitamin packs is gone. Hopefully the good bugs will fight off the bad bugs and I will start to feel wonderful and have normal BMs daily. Sometimes the power of positive thinking can make things happen!

Weight - 184.6 - still bouncing between 183 and 186. I haven't cheated or made any bad choices for 6 days now. I've been working out (4 times), or working hard in the yard (2 times). Not one lazy day yet. I'm building muscle and tone - so I'm not going to get upset that the scales aren't moving. Now if they aren't moving in a month I will definitely be upset!! My total calories are right at 1100 everyday. Most of my calories are at dinner - I'm wondering if I should spread them out more evenly??? I know a lot of people can eat all their calories in a small window - but I've read a lot about how calories are used and stored - what can't be utilized within a certain time frame gets stored as fat. I think I'm going to try to even it out a little better and see if that helps the scale move a bit.

So - right now I'm having a protein shake with magnesium (which seems to be alleviating the cramping in my hands and feet!) Before I go to work I will eat something a little more than I normally do........... instead of 2 eggs I'll eat 4 eggs. Then a small bite of something after work - maybe a serving size of pork rinds. Then at dinner I will tone it down a bit. I'll plug the numbers into my spreadsheet and see how it comes out. Dinner tonight is Tenderloin and fried veggies.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• The thing about calories is that your body is constantly burning them. Constantly. Every breath you take burns calories. So whether you eat them all at once or spread out over the day shouldn't matter. If you eat them all during one meal, you'll create a deficit through normal activity until you eat. I really don't think when you eat matters - as long as you eat when you're hungry.

Your chicken and veggies looks delicious! And I like the fork.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• You're probably right. I think I'll do a bit of research anyway - couldn't hurt. The fork is part of the new flatware that I got last fall - I love it!
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion

Comment

• Can I ask...Have you always been eating 1100 cals? How many were you eating when you were successfully losing? You are exercising now, so you may need more food.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I have a very slow metabolism. I maintain at 1500. Doc told me I should be eating between 1200 and 1500. If I go above 1500 I gain. I'm only 5'3" tall - and my best weight is 135. I'm medium build with a pretty good muscle base - I build muscle very easily. I've been so inactive for the past 10 years I've lost a lot of the muscle I used to have - I think as I build up more muscle I will be able to eat a bit more, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the right level of calories to be losing. Time will tell.............
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion

Comment

• Barre3 - 20 minutes of a 30 minute standing tall workout. Everything done in a standing position - squats (or the ballet equivalent of) and LOTS of leg and core work! I just couldn't do the last 10 minutes.

I found a source of free range eggs 18 eggs for $4. OR......... I can get them from the sister for free - but not as many as I want, just as she has them available. The new source is through my BIL. He gets them from his boss. And they are enormous for chicken eggs! I'm happy.

Yummy............ spicy eggs!
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion

Comment

• After 6 months stalled (gain/lose the same 5lbs), I have managed to get the scales moving again. Perhaps some of my techniques will help you? I am moving to low carb for about a week, with a reefed day where I eat lots of carbs. This weekend's refeed will be for DH's birthday. I will still stay away from wheat as that makes me sick. I think how I'm eating my food also makes a difference. I am now having a large breakfast, small lunch, and medium dinner. I'm not sure if the breakfast is the signal to my body that food is plentiful so it can use up fat stores? The lunch basically gets me to dinner without being starving. And the dinner is enough to make me feel full in the evening so when my mind wants ice cream I can tell myself no because I'm not hungry at all. Eating beef over chicken seems to be having a positive effect on my hunger and weight.

A sample of what I'm eating:
                          B - 3 or 4 eggs cooked in butter, 1 burger patty, blueberries and strawberries (1/2C?)
                          L - 1 or 2 HB eggs, small portion of steak
                          D - Brocolli or green beans, 2 burgers or med steak or meatloaf

Comment

• Chicken leaves me feeling hungry shortly after as well - I think it's the reduced fat content.
                            Primal since March 5, 2012
                            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by teach2183 View Post
                              After 6 months stalled (gain/lose the same 5lbs), I have managed to get the scales moving again. Perhaps some of my techniques will help you? I am moving to low carb for about a week, with a reefed day where I eat lots of carbs. This weekend's refeed will be for DH's birthday. I will still stay away from wheat as that makes me sick. I think how I'm eating my food also makes a difference. I am now having a large breakfast, small lunch, and medium dinner. I'm not sure if the breakfast is the signal to my body that food is plentiful so it can use up fat stores? The lunch basically gets me to dinner without being starving. And the dinner is enough to make me feel full in the evening so when my mind wants ice cream I can tell myself no because I'm not hungry at all. Eating beef over chicken seems to be having a positive effect on my hunger and weight.

A sample of what I'm eating:
                              B - 3 or 4 eggs cooked in butter, 1 burger patty, blueberries and strawberries (1/2C?)
                              L - 1 or 2 HB eggs, small portion of steak
                              D - Brocolli or green beans, 2 burgers or med steak or meatloaf
                              I'm trying to move toward something close to that. You eat a lot more meat than I do though. My carbs are still under 100 - usually closer to 50 - 90% of the time. So I'd say I'm still low carb - I think bumping up the protein is my next tweak. And I agree - chicken leaves me feeling hungry within a couple hours. Unless I add enough fat in the way of bacon grease or butter.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion

Comment

• I'm at work with very little to do today.................. I need to stretch out the afternoon. But the boss would seriously frown upon my being on the internet - luckily he's not in his office right now. I hate coming to work when I have so little to do - its hardly worth the gas to get me here. But I do love my job as far as what I do. The medical field fascinates me - I should have known this earlier in life.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X