Monday Is The Day!/ NoSaladWithoutMeat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superb (a much more fitting nickname) and Metsi (no I'm not dyslexic),
    Yeah, I guess I'm not that special huh? We all seem to have a fucked up metabolism. Isn't it a bitch comparing ourselves to those fit bastards that can wolf down everything in their way and not be affected? Damn them!

I still resent this one friend I have who has FLAWLESS skin and the sort of stuff she eats (big on cola and junk food) and puts on her face (pretty much alcohol and some fragrance) would leave me looking like a leper. Granted she thinks I'm ridiculous for thinking food can break me out, and probably thinks I should wash my face with a scrub and tone it with some alcohol instead of "depriving" myself (yeah, I sure deprive myself with all that butter and steak. Boo hoo hoo).

Is it mean that I relish in the fact she's insidiously getting fatter? >;D

Speaking of insidious weight gain. I wanna make shortbread cookies. Those cookies they only sell on Christmas still haunt me, even in the summer. I can't find their equivalent in butteryness and ceamyness nor can I buy the actual thing in stores as they're sold seasonly.
    I've looked for recipes all over but I'm afraid they'll never turn out like those melt in your mouth Godly creations.

I mean, I just started cooking. I probably shouldn't attempt something as difficult as baking (in fact, the last masterchef episode EVERYONE FAILED at baking!) but I'm so impatient. And without my trusty computer I pretty much have nothing to do today...
    (I could read for school, but this is something I conveniently suppressed as an actual possibility.)

Food the last few days was good. Fish, meat some red currants (oh God, those things are as sour as Chef Ramsey), some dark chocolate, grapefruits, coconut milk.
    I'm slowly becoming more sweet sensitive and have cravings for savoury dishes.
    Plus with all this new food knowledge I'm discovering that some of my favourite things are really primal!
    Like Bearnaise sauce and Hollandaise. I mean crap! I could have had eggs Benedict 10000 times by now!

Weighed myself and the good news is that I am just as fat as always, but now I don't feel hungry or deprived.
    No weight loss but no gain either (which I was afraid of). So....

I'm happy, despite the laptop conundrum. And I HAVEN'T CRIED IN A WHOLE MONTH!
    Okay, that last part sounds weird but really, I think my hormones are in check and my manic depression a little more in control. I'm also less anxious about things like school and life in general. Funny how diet can turn your life around!

But still... I would really like to lose some weight... I really really would.
    I feel like my happiness is not complete. Plus I don't have my energy level, my hair and skin in check yet.
    Things are still fairly hard in that respect. I wanna start working out but I have no will or strength.

I might wanna lower my carbs to 50-75 (which for me is still very high) and limit sweets, snacks and carbs to one or two times a week.
    The calorie counting is still a dilemma.

<3
    "The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
    -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• /golfcalp on the not crying. I've been crying at the drop of a hat lately and its driving me nuts. Olympic opening ceremonies? Bawled almost all the way through, fml.
      I suggest, kindly, you step away from the shortbread recipes. Actually not so kindly. I had a thought, do you have coconut butter? Coconut manna, coconut spread, w/e? Mix some of that with chocolate. Just do it.

Oh, I've been reading the newest version of Atkins. You might want to check it out(it's not the devil, trust me.) The program is pretty darn close to paleo actually, though it breaks it up into 4 phases.

Do you have a thermometer? Check your temperature in the morning. PCOS can also be contributed to hypothyroidism.

PCOS and Hypothyroidism

and on a lighter note:
      My Life Through Kristen Wiig
      Calm the f**k down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
        /golfcalp on the not crying. I've been crying at the drop of a hat lately and its driving me nuts. Olympic opening ceremonies? Bawled almost all the way through, fml.
        I suggest, kindly, you step away from the shortbread recipes. Actually not so kindly. I had a thought, do you have coconut butter? Coconut manna, coconut spread, w/e? Mix some of that with chocolate. Just do it.

Oh, I've been reading the newest version of Atkins. You might want to check it out(it's not the devil, trust me.) The program is pretty darn close to paleo actually, though it breaks it up into 4 phases.

Do you have a thermometer? Check your temperature in the morning. PCOS can also be contributed to hypothyroidism.

PCOS and Hypothyroidism

and on a lighter note:
        My Life Through Kristen Wiig
        My Life Through Kristen Wiig | When I Have No Internet And Everybody Thinks I'm Dead
        Heh.

What temp should I have? It's hard to read stuff on here..... ;/

Is coconut manna just creamed coconut and oil? Cause I don't like that...
        Damn me!!!!!!!! Why don't I like coconut products! I'M NOT WORTHY NOT WORTHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Augh, I know you're right...
        And I just read Mark' post, thankfully. I thought carb refeed meant eating crap with a shovel. But noooo, you have to do it all scientific like. I mean, carbs with no fat? How EWW is that?!

What should I eat anyway? I don't even know...
        Should I even do it? Or should I do lowish carb with no refeeds yet and once I've stalled try the refeeds?
        Should I do it at all?
        I mean Mark said the really overweight shoudln't do it. Am I really overweight? WHY DON'T I know?!

Omfg, some of the comment on that post pissed me off. Someone who's 5'2 1/2 and weighs 112..WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT?! Some people can't be happy with what they have, it's so unfair!
        If I could maintain 120lbs for like a week I would be kissing the ground. But instead all I freaking do is never enough. It's like I'm meant to have ugly skin and be fat forever.

Okay I'm getting upset now. And I just said how I didn't cry for a month ;/ fml.
        -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• Someone who is 5'2 1/2 and 112 lbs should be looking into stfu. Delusional is delusional. Roll your eyes and walk away.

I'm not big on coconut either. Lord knows I've tried. Coconut oil, I can't do it unless I'm frying with it or roasting, coconut manna needs SOMETHING, ANYTHING for me to eat it. I do like coconut milk and coconut water.
          I wouldn't do carb refeeds, I would just keep a steady level for now. Unless you start really working out. Maybe do a higher carb day once in awhile (I think you had success doing that before) but...ah hell I don't know lol!
          First thing I would look into is the energy level. Don't worry about weight loss right now.
          Also, so you don't focus too much on weight:
          Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

and because it cracks me up everytime:
          My Life Through Kristen Wiig | When The Local News Is Filming In My Neighborhood

I would look into GAPS Like Me2 said. I'm thinking about it myself, though I need more info to get started.
          Calm the f**k down.

Comment

• Ew, you don't understand how hard it is to use this comp.
            Can anyone explain in a few short passages what GAPS is?!

Yeah I've seen that chick Staci a hundred times. Big woop after the thousandth time. I'll never get there, and I the prospect of eating chicken breasts and some almonds isn't that appealing either.

Man, it's so hot in here. I'm getting irritated at every little thing.

But this makes me feel better:
            -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• What part of Montreal are you in? I'm looking on kijiji for a damn free screen for you :P
              Calm the f**k down.

Comment

• I give up, its all in french and my computer will only translate half the time. And that clip was just ....wrong...lol!
                Calm the f**k down.

Comment

• A healthy gut contains billions of bacteria, including beneficial bacteria and opportunistic bacteria. When in balance the beneficial bacteria keeps bad bacteria and yeasts in check, helps our body assimilate nutrients, ensures low levels of inflammation, and helps process toxins that come into our bodies.

Unfortunately there are many factors that are now effecting the health of our guts. They include:

1. Birth control pills
                  2. antibiotics, steroids, pain killers
                  3. formula feeding
                  4. stress
                  5. Caesarian
                  6. Processed food and excess sugar

These all disrupt the beneficial bacteria, causing an overgrowth of opportunistic bacteria, which effects digestion, infamation, and toxin processing. One starts to struggle with assimilation of nutrients, and they pass right through without being absorbed. Also, when our guts are out of balance they can become leaky, allowing parts of food to leak through and enter the bloodstream. The foods that you detect as being intolerant to first are gluten and dairy because they are the most difficult to digest. Many find that as they eliminate one thing they find an intolerance for something new. That is because a leaky gut is the culprit, not a true food allergy which is actually quite rare. Over time this will effect our immune system until it is seriously compromised. A person with a truly healthy immune system would get sick about once every two years! Additionally your gut has a direct line of communication to your brain through nerves. Beneficial bacteria give your brain calming signals, when it is absent it can make things go neurologically haywire. Additionally you may find autoimmune diseases in GAPS patients due to gut permeability.

So here is what is happening; We are putting all of the aforementioned items into our bodies. They are disrupting our guts and causing gut dysbiosis, but if you are the first or second generation who is going through it maybe you just have some seasonal allergies, or light asthma. Then that person has a kid. When a child is in the womb their gut is sterile. As they move down the birth canal they receive their first mouthfuls of bacteria, which serves to begin the population of healthy gut bacteria. Basically your child has your gut bacteria, as well as bacteria from people who help raise them. When they receive bacteria that is already compromised, meaning fewer than 85% beneficial and more than 15% opportunistic they begin their lived with dysbiosis. In the case of caesarian the child's gut is populated with bacteria from the hospital and from the outside of the parent's skin. Now that we are reaching the 3rd and 4rth generations of gut dysbiosis we are seeing the more severe issues on the spectrum, like autism, colitis, Crohn's disease, behavioral issues, etc.

Reminder:

If you eat the best most expensive food in the world it will not matter unless your gut is healthy. Your body just won't properly absorb it.

The bare bones of the diet include:

1. Cutting out all grains, sugar (you can have honey), most legumes and starchy vegetables (potatoes)-these feed the opportunistic bacteria (we are trying to starve them into smaller more manageable populations).
                  2. Drinking bone broth (meat stock) with every meals-helps seal the gut and digest food.
                  3. Eating lots of healthy fats - saturated fats from animals, butter, palm oil, coconut oil, and raw olive oil. Eliminating vegetable fats (which are processed with chemical substances such as hexane, unstable and oxidise easily in light and heat).
                  4. Eating fermented raw dairy-yogurt, kiefer, sour cream, cheese (dairy is slowly reintroduced), pill form probiotics
                  5. Eating antibiotic and hormone free pastured animals and eggs including offal if you can bear it (I swallow it like a pill)
                  6. Eating Nuts
                  7. Eating and juicing fresh fruits and vegetables
                  8. Eating and supplementing large amounts of probiotics and fermented foods to repopulate the gut.
                  9. Supplementing with probiotics, digestive enzymes, codliver oil, and vitamins.

Legal/Illegal list: The Diet

Whew, that's a lot, I know. Tell me if you have any questions. Here are some resources if you want to continue your research.

Books on GAPS:
                  http://www.amazon.com/Gut-Psychology...&keywords=gaps

Amazon.com: GAPS Guide (Simple Steps to Heal Bowels, Body and Brain): Baden Lashkov: Books

GAPS Cookbooks:
                  Amazon.com: Internal Bliss - GAPS Cookbook (Recipes designed for those following the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Diet) (9780615409313): GAPSdiet.com: Books

30 Days on GAPS Intro Handbook | Health, Home, & Happiness

Web sites:
                  Home Page
                  GAPS Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) - Natural treatment for autism, ADHD/ADD, dyslexia, dyspraxia, depression and schizophrenia
                  Home « The Mommypotamus The Mommypotamus
                  Grain Free, GAPS, SCD, Primal, Natural Remedies & Recipes - Health Home and Happiness
                  GAPS Guide

Mainstream:

NY times:
                  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/sc...ted=1&src=dayp

Radio Lab Podcast:
                  Guts - Radiolab

Scientific American:
                  How Bacteria in Our Bodies Protect Our Health: Scientific American

USA today
                  Our microbes are facing a threat emdash/&#38;gt; from us
                  Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metismomma View Post
                    I give up, its all in french and my computer will only translate half the time. And that clip was just ....wrong...lol!
                    Haha, you're awesome. But you don't they have an English version?
                    I thought of looking at craigslist but the only free thing there is naked massages...
                    -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• Originally posted by me2 View Post
                      A healthy gut contains billions of bacteria, etc............................
                      EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! That's too much for my peanut sized brain to process.
                      Besides this includes a lot of stuff I don't have access to (supplements, raw dairy, hormone free/ organic). Bone broth? What?! I guess I make it by boiling bones, right?... I kinda like bone marrow so that sounds acceptable!
                      What about sweet potatoes? They're starches right? What other veggies are outlawed? How do you know if an olive oil is raw? ;s

Wait, so is the premise of that diet is that some day we'll be able to eat stuff and not get sick?

Leaky gut syndrome conjures up an unpleasant image...
                      -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• Looked over the GAPS diet, but going on it would greatly hamper my already limited food options.

Without bacon, smoked salmon and canned coconut milk I'll pretty much starve to death.
                        Maybe some time in the future when I have my own place.

Anywho. I still wanna make the cookies, just to see if I can do them without miserable failure. Haven't eaten anything yet.
                        I just some butter with a spoon . It tastes like heaven.

Still not sure where to go with my goals. I just feel like going back to what I know: fasting, VLC, carb refeeds. But I'm afraid this extreme way of weight loss might be hard to maintain later.

Rock> me <hard place.
                        -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• Oops, I posted this before I read your last post. Just think about it for the future. Also, did you know darth friendly was banned?

Peanut brain my arse.

GAPS will:
                          1. repopulate good bacteria so you can properly absorb food and have a strong immune system.
                          2. Heal your leaky gut so you no longer have ANY food intolerance, this includes gluten.
                          3. Decrease or eradicate mood disorders by reestablishing the correct bacteria to communicate through the brain gut axis (series of nerves that connect your brain to your gut), increase your ability to effectively deal w/ stress.
                          4. heal your bowels so you are regular.
                          5. Clear up skin and thicken hair (lots of gelatin and collagen from bone broth, which is just stock made w/ bones and cooked for 6-24 hrs).
                          6. return your body to being a detoxing machine.
                          7. balance hormones.
                          8. possibly make you lose weight like this chick
                          9.Other things I'm forgetting.

No on sweet potatoes and starchy veggies. You can have squashes. I linked to the legal/illegal list in my last post.

I ignore the olive oil rule.

Like I said I feel super fantastic pretty much all the time, it is challenging and more expensive than I would like but it is not forever, so I say it is 100% worth it.
                          Last edited by me2; 07-31-2012, 10:11 AM. Reason: Not paying attention
                          Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Comment

• Originally posted by me2 View Post
                            Oops, I posted this before I read your last post. Just think about it for the future. Also, did you know darth friendly was banned?

Peanut brain my arse.

GAPS will:
                            1. repopulate good bacteria so you can properly absorb food and have a strong immune system.
                            2. Heal your leaky gut so you no longer have ANY food intolerance, this includes gluten.
                            3. Decrease or eradicate mood disorders by reestablishing the correct bacteria to communicate through the brain gut axis (series of nerves that connect your brain to your gut), increase your ability to effectively deal w/ stress.
                            4. heal your bowels so you are regular.
                            5. Clear up skin and thicken hair (lots of gelatin and collagen from bone broth, which is just stock made w/ bones and cooked for 6-24 hrs).
                            6. return your body to being a detoxing machine.
                            7. balance hormones.
                            8. possibly make you lose weight like this chick
                            9.Other things I'm forgetting.

No on sweet potatoes and starchy veggies. You can have squashes. I linked to the legal/illegal list in my last post.

I ignore the olive oil rule.

Like I said I feel super fantastic pretty much all the time, it is challenging and more expensive than I would like but it is not forever, so I say it is 100% worth it.
                            Shakespear was probably referring to lady gardens, if you know what I be sayin', fool *brow wiggle*

But yeah, chicklette, I would love to go on this. Sounds delish and just what the doctor ordered in terms of skin, gut, mental health, I guess I can keep that shit in mind when I eat stuff. But bacon is my main sustenance atm.

Yeah, he did tell me that. Though I'm not sure why he got banned... I don't get it ;s
                            But then again I guess his journal was more about awkward Satanic humour than actual Primal subjects, so maybe they didn't get the joke (Lucifer knows, I still don't fully get it). Did he say why?

I made them cookieses.
                            They are goodish. I wanted them to be melty but they're still crumbly and dry. I can't recreate those damn cookies!
                            How in the gluten do they make them?!

After my second cookies I got sickly. After the first I was fine. Weird.
                            -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

• Originally posted by NoSaladWithoutMeat View Post
                              I made them cookieses.
                              They are goodish. I wanted them to be melty but they're still crumbly and dry. I can't recreate those damn cookies!
                              How in the gluten do they make them?!
                              Magic, that is the answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by unsuperb View Post
                                Magic, that is the answer.
                                Black magic, more like it. Evil, addictive things that make you stray from the righteous path!
                                -Raymond Peat, PhD

Comment

Working...
                                X