Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40, Overweight & Ready to Make the Primal Change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 40, Overweight & Ready to Make the Primal Change

    Hey everyone, I'm a 40 year old male that is morbidly obese. I recently decided that I needed to try and lose some weight again. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea. I started out on Weight Watcher's and a low fat diet 4 weeks ago but I was struggling lately fighting hunger. Just felt like anyday I was going to wake up with my head stuck in a chip bag. I then stumbled accross the Primal Blueprint book and it really made sense with me so I started following it 2 days ago. So far It's been good and the extra fat really helps curb the hunger issues.

    Here is my stats:
    5'8"
    294.8 lbs 4 weeks ago
    284.4 when I started eating primal

    I'm hoping this journal will keep my on track and help me on down the road to see how far I've come or where I've made mistakes.

  • #2
    Day 1 & Day 2 Food Log

    Day 1
    Breakfast - 2 fried eggs in butter and 3 strips of bacon

    Lunch - Skipped since it was a later breakfast on a lazy Sunday

    Supper - Pork Chop, Salad w/Egg, Olive Oil & Basalmic Vinegar, Cooked Brussel Sprouts & Turnips


    Day 2
    Breakfast - 3 Eggs & 3 Strips of bacon scrambled in butter

    Lunch - Leftovers from Day 1 supper

    Supper - Beef Roast w/Cauliflower, Broccoli, Carrots & Mushrooms

    Felt pretty good both days except I was pretty hunger on Day 2 in the late afternoon.

    Comment


    • #3
      Welcome and good luck to you! Great start so far!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by andyTHFC View Post
        Welcome and good luck to you! Great start so far!
        Thanks for the encouragement.

        Comment


        • #5
          Day 3

          Breakfast - Guacamole Eggs from Reader Inspired Cookbook

          Lunch - Grilled Chicken with Salad

          Supper - Sirloin Steak with Salad, Grilled Zucchini, & Grilled Beans

          Comment


          • #6
            I am new to this site, so I can't give you any suggestions on how to eat Primal,,,but I wonder if you are still feeling hungry after changing your diet?

            I noticed you eat three meals a day and no snacks. I have problems with low blood sugar and wonder if you try to eat more often if that would help. If I skip meals my hands shake, I feel dizzy and I have a hard time concentrating long before my stomach starts grumbling. I use String cheese (regular fat), protein bars and yogurt drinks in between meals (Any suggestions from someone following the Primal diet?). Another thing I am working on is to eat 300 calories at 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, and 6pm to keep my blood sugar stable.

            PS.
            Oh, got the feed back that snacking is not part of the Primal diet. I guess my advice won't work for you.
            Last edited by MerryRobyn; 03-20-2012, 08:00 PM. Reason: Add the PS

            Comment


            • #7
              Welcome!!! I know that having the support of the community on this journal is really making a difference for me!!

              MerryRobin, I am going to look for your journal and see if I can help with your question from what I have read and learned

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks Longing2bfit. I will check back on this thread or in my inbox.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by longing2bfit View Post
                  Welcome!!! I know that having the support of the community on this journal is really making a difference for me!!

                  MerryRobin, I am going to look for your journal and see if I can help with your question from what I have read and learned
                  Thank you. I'm sure it will make a difference for me too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MerryRobyn View Post
                    I am new to this site, so I can't give you any suggestions on how to eat Primal,,,but I wonder if you are still feeling hungry after changing your diet?

                    I noticed you eat three meals a day and no snacks. I have problems with low blood sugar and wonder if you try to eat more often if that would help. If I skip meals my hands shake, I feel dizzy and I have a hard time concentrating long before my stomach starts grumbling. I use String cheese (regular fat), protein bars and yogurt drinks in between meals (Any suggestions from someone following the Primal diet?). Another thing I am working on is to eat 300 calories at 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm, and 6pm to keep my blood sugar stable.

                    PS.
                    Oh, got the feed back that snacking is not part of the Primal diet. I guess my advice won't work for you.
                    MerryRobin,

                    I'm just starting out on this so I don't know if I'm the best to ask on snacking. So far I haven't really needed any snacks but I'm sure as my body adjusts snacks will come into play. Some ideas for snacks include boiled eggs, small amount of nuts, fruit (less if you want more weightloss), fresh veggies, a little bit of leftover meat, and celery with a good nut butter.

                    I imagine you could eat more smaller meals throughout the day if that works for you. However, for me when I've tried it in the past I tend to find that I just eat more when I eat 5 meals a day. But I'd say just try it and see how you feel. Everyone is a little different.

                    Good luck and let me know how it goes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      H, I am new to PB so I am not really 'au fait' with the science. However, as far as I understand it snacking wherever possible is best avoided; that way your body does not look to your stomach for food and you lose the hunger pangs.
                      I have been eating this way for 8-9 weeks; do not have any scales but would guess that I have lost probably 10lbs. I am rarely hungry by eating this way and that allows me to restrict to 2 meals a day. If I don't, I don't beat myself up about it. This is not a diet, it is a way of eating forever and that means you can 'go astray' occasionally if the situation requires it.

                      I wish you luck on this journey; I certainly feel 100% healthier without constant grains and sugars.

                      Jane
                      Southampton, UK.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        GoodGameMe, I started in my 40's as well and did pretty good. You can too!

                        Stick with it, ignore the naysayers and good luck!
                        52 year old Male
                        Goal: 185lbs
                        April 10th: 220lbs

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PaleoPenn View Post
                          GoodGameMe, I started in my 40's as well and did pretty good. You can too!

                          Stick with it, ignore the naysayers and good luck!
                          Thanks for the advice and I hope my results are as good as yours.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Day 4

                            Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs w/Bacon, Red Peppers, Mushrooms, & Onions

                            Lunch - Big Salad w/Chicken, Red Peppers, Carrots and Olive Oil/Basalmic Vinegar

                            Supper - Hot Wings, Brussel Sprouts

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Still going even if I haven't posted in a few days. Lost 3.8 lbs last week so I'm down 14.2 lbs overall. With the weather warming up I've been getting outside more and starting to think about my garden. I also bought a bicycle and have started riding it to work. It works out to almost 6 miles a day and gives me 35 to 40 minutes of exercise I wouldn't otherwise get in. But this has been the only exercise I've done the past few weeks. I'm hoping to start doing some of the pushups, pullups, etc that Mark recommends sometime within the next month. I doubt I do any sprinting until after I get some serious weight off.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X