No announcement yet.

Primal Journal, Alessandra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh boy do I enjoy having Friday's off when the work week has been stressful. Roxy and I went on a longer morning walk then I came home and got breakfast going for Gabi. The schools started 2 hours late today so I enjoyed breakfast time with her since I'm usually at work by the time she gets up in the mornings for school. I got my weekend cleaning done and then took Roxy for a walk at Wannamaker. We mostly walked the perimeter to get in more steps and she actually did good with the squirrels this time. She's a little worn out right now, lol.

I'm planning on going for a walk on The Battery downtown and then hitting up EarthFare for some things. Gabi asked me to cook up chicken, rice, and veggies tonight. Of course she asked if I could have rice and I told her no, but not to worry about it because I will just fill up on veggies and fat along with the chicken.

Tomorrow is Low Tide walk with my Hiking and Outdoors Meet Up group! WOO WOO! I'm gonna have to catch up with them because I've got to get my bangs trimmed first and my appointment is before the walk, but it shouldn't take long, hopefully.

I'm really digging out things are starting to sort of fall in place as far as motivation goes. I was thinking that at my 60 day mark on Whole30, I would be done. However, due to my work's walking challenge, I sort of want to keep going until that challenge is done. The challenge is 8 weeks and we are almost at the end of week 2. Maybe this will push me to keep up better with food, along with some of the stuff that I've been reading?
    Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Comment

• Woo woo! This morning's attempt on Hollandaise Sauce was a success I didn't do so hot with it last night, but I think I figured out the issue of the bottom boiler pan maybe being too hot under the top one. I think I also have to move just a wee bit faster when adding the ghee. I followed the recipe in my old Better Homes and Gardens book, but I used the ghee that I made yesterday since it's already at room temp. Kind of proud of myself.
      Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

Comment

• Hollandaise is a skill...congrats on mastering it!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
        "Locked up inside you like the calm beneath castles is a cavern of treasures that no one has been to....let's go digging" ~ Maynard James Keenan

I am Angela, Southern Fried Primal... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106998.html

Comment

• Your mentioning the title, 'Made to Crave, made me think of something I read in JJ Virgin's book(elimination diet to test for food sensitivities).

She says that when we are reactive to an item, our body generates a lot of antibodies to deal with it. When those antibodies have nothing to do, they make us 'crave' the food, so that they can go out and do their job of zapping it(vastly simplified explanation). Any little bit, keeps the antibodies active. Only after an extended period of no action, do the antibody cells get recycled by the body, and let our cravings lessen.

I thought it was an interesting concept, and (even if simplified) a good explanation that I think will help me on staying away from those 'little tastes'.

Anyways, a long lead up to saying, "Good job on not licking off that honey!"

It was good to read about your walks, and challenges, etc. And how great that you got to meet some real-life Paleo folk!

Comment

• Hi Sabine! Thank you

The last couple of days have been a bit crazy. We got some not so great news at work. Once again, food didn't get the better of me. I was tempted today, but it didn't happen! Thank goodness for that.

I had a great time this past Saturday at the Low Tide walk. I had Gabi bring a friend so that she could enjoy it and I think she might have had a better time than I did. I'll have to post pictures later. Sullivan's Island was surreal at this particular low tide especially with the overcast going on.

Comment

• Gabi asked me how I was going to be able to make Primal work for me when I have to tighten up the budget. I told that kid that I would make it work one way or another. I'm just going to have to get the cheaper cuts of meat and stick to in season and on sale produce for real now. We will make this work!

Comment

• This is the link to Roxy's first time at the beach.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...21460587511251

The girls heading out to the uncovered sand bar
                DSCN5527.jpg
                DSCN5528.jpg

Roxy out at the Battery
                DSCN5488.jpg
                Last edited by Alessandra; 02-25-2015, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alessandra View Post
                  Gabi asked me how I was going to be able to make Primal work for me when I have to tighten up the budget...
                  Organ meats?

Comment

• Shop the sales! You can make it happen...you just have to go in with a target cost and don't waver more than 2.50 above or below. I made a game out of it when I was working within a super tight budget...tally it all up as I was shopping, see how close I was at the checkout. It was a little bit of an adventure! My strategy, though, was to start with the protein. I allowed it to be 1/3 - 1/2 my total budget. I filled in the rest with produce and pantry staples. I probably should get back to that, actually....

"Locked up inside you like the calm beneath castles is a cavern of treasures that no one has been to....let's go digging" ~ Maynard James Keenan

I am Angela, Southern Fried Primal... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread106998.html

Comment

• I believe I'm worn out from this week! Talk about an emotional roller coaster between work and PMS'ing. That's just not a good combination, but through prayer from myself and others, I've managed not to hit up sugary foods or even just one small alcoholic drink while I was out listening to a coworkers band. I'm blessed to have the prayer warriors in my life that I have. I'm also blessed to have this place.

The news from work is that come Sept, we'll all be looking for a new job if we haven't already found one. Our HR people are going to try to see about getting us hired on by either the other company in our building or maybe to our company's main location up North. I'm planning on staying through to Sept to get the severance package that's being offered to us if we do. However, I'm not sure if I want to get absorbed here or go north or maybe go to school. So at the bugging of a coworker/fellow military vet, I finally went to the VA to talk to them about my options. It turns out that I can use the Post 9/11 G.I. Bill until 2019. If I go for this option, I'm going to need a part time job to keep us afloat. I have to wait back to hear about my medical claim to see what other kind of help that I can get. That's going to take a couple of months.

I'm going to start paring down on expenses in the meantime to save money and prepare us for Sept. That means paring down on groceries, but I think that since I've been doing Whole30, it's really helped me to cut back on things that I don't need. Thank you Angela and Sabine for the suggestions on saving some money. Sabine, there's a meat market that I might just be able to get a pretty good selection of organ meats from. I might have to slowly integrate those into my diet. Gabi is starting to eat more of the dinners that I cook in the evenings and I don't want to scare her off just yet.

I kind of just want to sleep all day today, but there's work to be done. Taxes won't prepare themselves and the truck isn't going to fix itself either. Tomorrow is rest day and I plan on doing just that!

Comment

• Crap. I'm sorry to hear about the job situation =(
                        There is nothing more stressful than trying to figure out how to make ends meet while simultaneously job searching. Sounds like you have some good options available to you through the VA, though, so make sure to take advantage of all the benefits that you can.

Comment

• Yesterday was Day 61 and I did have some sugar. I'm not sure how much. I was trying to get rid of a nasty headache with acetometaphin and cappuccino w/coconut milk. I'm aware that Starbucks probably uses coconut milk that has some form of sweetener, even if it's really not needed. I've had the "want" for chocolate, but I'm trying to work on just staying away for now. Maybe once I can be more responisble with it, we'll talk.

Comment

• *visualizes Alessandra sitting across the table from a bar of chocolate and trying to have a grown-up discussion about limits

=)

Comment

• Angela, have you heard of a place called The Veggie Bin? Another friend here in Charleston has been posting about it on her FB page. I guess they have a location downtown, but now also have one on Park Circle. I think me and the kid might go check them out.

This week was almost as crazy as last week was with work. I think it's driving me more and more to look to going back to school full time and getting some sort of part time job. I'm looking forward to having a job that I enjoy doing regardless of whether or not I like the environment that I'm in at times. I think even other people are beginning to question themselves.

However, my one coworker/sort of like an older brother to me, bought me some pistachios the other day. I was joking with him when he asked me if I needed anything from the store! I didn't get like a small bag either, it was enough to feed 8! I did eat the whole bag................. I also didn't cook dinner that night.

I bought a Costco membership yesterday. Woah, that place. That's all I've got to say about that. Avocado oil and they have Kerrygold. It's rather nice.

Comment

• I haven't heard of it...let me know what you think if you guys go check it out!

Comment

Working...
                                X