Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checking in. How are things?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Things are just fine! I'm on the GAPS diet, and I think lost a little weight at the beginning when I was eating (drinking) mostly broth - but I think I gained it back. I need to truly dedicate myself to fasting daily and not eating too much when I have my meal!
      Making adventure out of this thing called life

Comment

Have your body fat tested so you know about where you are. You say fasting didn't work for you so Fast 5 isn't probably a good suggestion. The Atkins Fat Fast might be a way for you to lower calories to nuke out your bigger meals- it's 1,000 calories and 90% fat- basically you eat like 1 can of sardines, some vegetables and 800 calories of butter, one stick. You could add a little more protein if you want.
        Atkins Article : The Fat Fast
        AFF is very primal.

You might just cool your jets and allow yourself to eat over the summer doing the AFF here n there for damage control. Cold thermogenesis might also be something to look in to for the fall, not sure about the summer......
        Also if nothing else you should plan to walk a lot, as much as your schedule will allow- helps burn off the extra calories.

Comment

Ahhh, I think the biggest problem I have is that I stress too much about what I eat because I want to lose fat, which makes me think more about food, which makes me hungry, which makes me eat more! I somehow need to get my focus off of food, but let myself really enjoy it when I eat meals. I tried a only meat-and-fat (and kefir, bone broth, and whatever spices/herbs I wanted) diet for a few weeks, which made me feel really good - but I didn't notice any weight loss unless I fasted for 24 hrs. Besides, now I'm tired of the taste of beef and pork.

Thanks, fiercehunter! I think I'll try it! I saw your thread about the results you got while doing it, but I do want to know - did you regain any weight when you returned to the regular paleo diet? Seems like you should.
          I'll start tomorrow with a Primal Toad inspired avocado and coffee smoothie (adding an egg-yolk and coconut oil) before final exams, then hopefully stop by the health food store to pick up macadamias, grass-fed butter, and tuna! Yum. Maybe the options are limited, but it sounds quite delicious at the moment.
          Last edited by alg2435; 04-30-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I spend a lot of time concentrating on food too. But, I find I spend more time concentrating on food when I'm here reading the journals than in "the real world".

Good luck with your experiments. I hope you find something that gets the results you want.

Comment

I would second the idea of not setting too thin a goal, thinking about at what weight you feel best. But I have a suggestion for portion control, since it sounds like you cook for 1. How about cooking enough for several meals, but then dividing it up into the right number of freezer containers to make each one a regular portion. Eat one and put the others right into the freezer. You will have less incentive to eat more on the day you cook because you know you will be shortchanged when you eat the others.

Comment

You can also try calorie cycling- eating less one day and more on others with the aim of a certain average # of calories per week. This helps you to get away from eating the same amount every day which is what fuels the dreaded plateaus. On my low calorie days I eat no carbs, seems to help.

Comment

Is carb/calorie cycling just as easy as that? I think I'll follow that method when I finish the fat fast. Thanks!

Comment

Calorie cycling IS that easy. And it's beneficial because your body never gets "used" to a certain amount of calories each day.

Comment

Working...
                    X