Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Do This: Stopping the Sugar Binge

You can call me A.

This morning I sugar binged for the last time in my life. I have been (attempted) primal for about three months now. I am capable of it, definitely, but every five days or so I slip, just a tiny slip, and fall into a compelte orgy of carbs, sugars, aand other stuff that I know has NO right to be in my body.

My problem is this: any miniscule amount of sugar (even fruit sugar) sends me spiraling into a cycle of sug.r, renunciation, self-loathing, and sugar again. This is bad for my body, mind, emotions....all of me. And as much as I try to remain paleo/primal, if I make so much as one misstep I end up thinking, "well...might as well just pig out". Well NOT ANYMOREn Gone are the days oreos, sugary cereal, chocolate chips..things that dont even taste good, things that give me a pounding headache, yet things I crave terribly and binge on simply for that momentary high. I am not drastically overweight, but I feel terrible. I am 17 years old, 5'3", and 125 lbs. I woukd like to stabilize around 110 and stay there comfortably but THIS JOURNEY IS NOT ABOUT MY WEIGHT OR HOW I LOOK. This is about shaking my addiction to the poison that is sugar and carbs. This is about regaining control, letting something other than food be at the center of my life.

Today at 2:00 I began a 24 hour fast to cleanse my body of the ridiculous amounts of crap I have eaten. Tomorrow at 2:00 I will eat, and from that point on, nothing but veggies, meat, eggs, tea, and coffee (and water, of course) will pass my lips. I hope to break this addiction in 70 days, cold turkey. In 70 days I will be 18, truly an adult, truly free of the problem that has plagued me for years. This will be incredibly difficult, but it is a journey of healing, a struggle for health. And I hope with time a healthy lifestlye will be effortless.

Thank you for helping me to do this. Simply by reading you are holding me accountable to keep my promise to myself and to my body.

It begins now.

I'm going to give one point of advice:

No matter how many times you fall off the wagon, get back on. Eventually you'll stop falling off.

Good luck hun.

Comment

hey, A : )

I just wanted to give you a few words of encouragement. First of all, it's so great that you are working toward becoming 100% primal. I can totally relate to your sugar cravings because mine used to be pretty powerful. Just remember that your old way of eating was the result of 19 years of an accumulation of poor eating habits. Of course you're going to have a lapse.

Also, you probably haven't been cooking for yourself for very long and it's super easy to run out for a pint of ice cream or grab something sugary when you're on the run. The key is to make sure you've got lovely, tasty fatty foods to quickly prepare when you're hungry - and you're still 19 so you're still GROWING for goodness sakes! You've got more reason to be hungry than someone 10 or 20 years older than you.

My weakness is breads and any salty snack that comes in a bag - chips, crisps, popcorn - but you know what? Ever since I've upped the good fats in my diet my cravings have shot down to zero. ZERO CRAVINGS. Don't deny yourself completely. Small amounts of raw honey are absolutely delicious and a couple of teaspoons a day won't do you any harm. I bake apples with cinnamon, butter and a drizzle of agave nectar and that's an incredibly tasty treat that feels like an indulgence.

And there are loads of great primal recipes that can satisfy a sweet tooth. Just remember to eat them in moderation. Once or twice a week. If you increase your fat intake you'll find the cravings just go away. And you're right, those sugary processed snacks don't even TASTE good. Your cravings are very much a mental habit that you'll find disappears when you're feeding your body delicious whole fats, proteins and veggies.

Good luck and never give up!
      Ali
      || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
      My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
      AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

Comment

Hey A!

I have battled, and am battling, similar problems. I astound myself at how much I can binge when I break my primal way of eating.

As another poster said, just get back on the wagon and do the next positive thing you can. These lapses will happen - you don't need the additional pressure of beating yourself up over them.

Good luck,

C

Comment

Thanks for all the support everyone!! I'm still feeling sick from all the sugar this morning so I'm at that point where I feel like I'll never want it again...but of course that won't last. Here's to the first week....

Comment

I could have written that CallmeA! So horrible being completely controlled by an inanimate object huh? I will say that, as completely sugar-addicted as I've been my whole life, once I started eating animal fat my cravings instantly disappeared. I render my own tallow and lard and cook with it and sometimes just lick a little off a spoon by itself.

Comment

I'm a sugar addict as well. I'll be cheering you on and watching your progress

Good luck!!
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Comment

finished the sugar binge off with some chocolate chips yesterday...yet another sign of how much I need to kick the sugar fix. Couldnt sleep all night thinking about how awful I felt but the good thing is I had planned to do some 6am hot yoga with my sis. Whoo cleansing!! Today it officially starts!! wish me luck!!

Comment

I feel your pain as well..I was 13 days in and had some sugar yesterday,probably as a result of having pure organic orange juice.
                  Like you,fruit puts me into sugar mode,hence the chocolate last night and today.
                  I am getting right back on the wagon and not thinking about it again.It wasn't a wheat binge,I can get past it.
                  I wish you all the luck and look forward to hearing more about your journey!

Comment

feeling totally cleansed and ready to do this after that early hot yoga session!

Comment

Hot yoga==NEVER AGAIN. I felt awesome afterwards and was drinking plenty of water, but later in the day had a huge headache, digestive issues, dizziness, etc. Probably electrolyte imbalance or lack of water...in retrospect, I used to get really dehydrated as a kid when playing in all-day softball tournaments and would experience these same symptoms. Not good. Feelign a little better today, but what a waste of money!!

Comment

Never even heard of hot yoga ... sorry it didn't go down well though. It is good to listen to your body and respond to what it is telling you. When you have been bingeing on sugar (been there done that more times than I can count) you need extra water to get back to normal. Take it easy for a few days and then try some of the primal movement stuff. Fun and feels good. I have been addicted to sugar for my whole life and I can say with utmost confidence that when you get the balance of foods right you will probably kiss those addictions good bye! I have been so satisfied with the food that I can happily walk through the candy aisle and not even salivate at my old favourites! It is the most incredible feeling to be free of those powerful temptations that have caused untold misery and floods of tears and self recrimination over and over again. Each time swearing I was going to quit and then caving in to having one and the whole cycle starting again... hang in there and keep experimenting with what you eat. I too find that fruit is something I have to be careful with, berries and cream work really well for me and I don't end with cravings. Add a little more fat and even up your protein (make it fatty) and see how you go... Avoid all fruit juice - you might as well go and suck down spoonfuls of sugar for the good it'll do you!!
                        Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                        Primal low: 186 lbs
                        Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                        Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

WOW what a good day yesterday!! I mean, not fantastic (I ate a few too many cashews for my liking) but around midnight I was having terrible cravings and couldnt sleep. So I (sleep?)walked downstairs, telling myself "SUGAR. I JUST NEED SUGAR." but first i made myself drink three big cups of water. By the time I finished, I didnt even want the sugar anymore! I even put a chocolate chip in my mouth just to spit it out--it just tasted salty and gross. WHOA! Who would ever imainge the day when chocolate disgusted me??? Such a good improvement--lets hope it lasts.

Comment

I was also a candy head. Soda and spaghetti, cookies and crackers all day long. I made the final jump by stuffing my face so full of primal food that I didn't want bread. Got a craving, and did it again. I think the long-term benefit of this way of changing outweighs the ugliness of eating too much primal food for a few weeks.

x2 on guzzling tons of water!

Sugar=bad in large dose!

Carbs=pretty much safe from starchy foods in moderation. You don't necessarily need to go into hardcore ketosis to lose weight and gain health.
                            Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
                              I was also a candy head. Soda and spaghetti, cookies and crackers all day long. I made the final jump by stuffing my face so full of primal food that I didn't want bread. Got a craving, and did it again. I think the long-term benefit of this way of changing outweighs the ugliness of eating too much primal food for a few weeks.

x2 on guzzling tons of water!

Sugar=bad in large dose!

Carbs=pretty much safe from starchy foods in moderation. You don't necessarily need to go into hardcore ketosis to lose weight and gain health.
                              I agree with this approach to managing cravings - you start craving sugar, you eat up the fats. It's worked for me as well. Great to see you're making such wonderful progress, A!
                              || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
                              My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
                              AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

Comment

Working...
                              X