No announcement yet.

Candy in Primal Wonderland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I know that we generally lean toward natural cures for minor illnesses and discomforts, but maybe taking a laxative would be a good idea for you - flush things out and start over kind of thing. maybe?

You take a probiotic, right?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Sometime the advice we get is sorely lacking in anything helpful!!! Listen to your body and see what helps or doesn't! I have seen my issues with constipation disappear since I started applying magnesium oil to my skin before showering every evening!! Incredible what a difference it has made - my whole life I have had constipation issues and only 'went' every few days. Now, at least a couple times a day and without any effort. What a pleasure!
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• It's clearing up! Amazing what a few days of clean eating can do .
        I'm taking a magnesium and probiotic supplement too.
        My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
        My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
        Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
        Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Glad to hear that you're feeling better!

Comment

• Thanks!
            This morning when I got up and looked in the mirror I was finally quite pleased again with how I look. My belly was much less swollen. The cramps are gone too. As is the constipation. Looks.like I'm doing the right thing. Also my weight was down a little . I hope it'll continue moving in the right direction now!

Busy weekend ahead. Tomorrow there's a BBQ at our Crossfit gym. And on Sunday DH and I have a date . Dinner in a fancy restaurant (shouldn't be hard to eat low Fodmap there ). And after that a concert: Leonard Cohen (yes, again! We saw him last year too, but I guess at hos age he won't be touring forever, so we take every opportunity we can). I'm so looking forward to it!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Comment

• Jealous that you're seeing Leonard Cohen! Also really glad to hear that you're health is cleaning up again
              SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
              Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
              Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
              Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
              Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
              Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• Sounds like you've found the right path. I'm right there with you on the FODMAPS thing. I've been on the elimination part for 3 weeks now. My stomach is so much better! I've strayed a few times, and every single time I have had tummy issues the following day. So - I'm trying to stay really clean. I did have a bite of brown sugar yesterday - but table sugar is safe as far as FODMAPS goes. Not so good primally speaking

From what I've read staying on the elimination part for 2-4 weeks is suggested. I think my gut is starting to heal. I'm not getting a belly ache every time I eat something now, and the only time I've had diarrhea in the entire 3 weeks is when I've eaten something off the unsafe list - so I count that as progress to healing my gut. I'm not eating nuts yet - just meat/fish/eggs - cooking in olive oil and very little spices. Old Bay is free of all the spices to avoid so I've been using it on practically everything.

I use this chart but I've seen others that are more comprehensive - just not as pretty to hang on the fridge There is lots of good info out there - it hasn't moved into the CW world yet. I think the thought of fruits and veggies causing "damage" to the body is just too much to handle for the CW world.

Hope things are working themselves out on the homefront. Kids are certainly a challenge...... even once they reach adulthood they can still be difficult!
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Thanks Tomi. I have a paleo-fodmap list from somewhere and also found a fodmap app for my phone. This way when I'm grocery shopping or at a estaurant and I'm unsure, I can do a quick check.

Today we had a quite heavy WOD at Crossfit, but I was able to do it and felt better than I have in weeks!!! I plan to stay strict low-fodmap for at least a month and then start re-introducing.

Ecks, DH and I both adore Leonard Cohen (his voice and music). And he's such a nice person (on stage at least). His concerts are value for money too: he keeps coming back for encores. Last year in Gent the concert lasted almost 4 hours!

Comment

• a fodmaps app! I want that!

edit: just looked. I found several - but none are free. Which one do you have?
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Mine is for Android and is free: fodmaps by titanium. Created by Sean Colombo.

Comment

• Leonard Cohen was amazing, as usual! I want to be like that when I'm his age! The show started at 8:15 and finished at 23:30 with only 15 minutes break.

We went to a BBQ on Saturday, I only ate 1 patty, 3 scampi, 3 slices of bacon and veggies (cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, carrots) with a little mayo. And then I had a little (about 2 tbsp) rice pudding. Wow, it was so sweet! I'm not used to this kind of sweetness anymore, I didn't even like it much.
                        Yesterday DH and I went to a restaurant before the concert: good meat, small side salad (I removed the onions, which were thick cut so easy) and I had a crème brûlée for dessert. It was really good.

So, only dairy (milk/cream) and sugar as downfalls this weekend and guess what? I'm constipated today *sigh*. Seems like dairy is not my friend anymore .
                        Today I didn't have vegetables to take to work, so I though I'd take some from the salad bar: I took some cucumber/radishes salad and tomato/pepper salad. Only after eating a few tablespoons I noticed there was onion in both: *FAIL*! My stomach hurts a little now. I really have to get used to check for things like onions and garlic! But the choices here at work are very limited. Even in the salad bar most veggies have dressing or they mix up different veggies (like carrots and cabbage: couldn't eat that because of the cabbage!). Oh well, I'll just have to make sure to take my own food, so that I don't have to depend on whatever they put together here at work! I can get hold of hardboiled eggs though so I ate 3 meatmuffins (homemade, with ground pork, yellow and red peppers, turmeric and curry powder, very yummie!) and 2 hb eggs. I brought some strawberries as a snack for later .

Comment

• Its a real challenge eating according the fodmaps rules isn't it? Yesterday we went out to our favorite Mexican place. I ordered my favorite dish - its shrimp in a slurry of veggies and a little cheese over the top. The sauce is wonderful - but was all the veggies I'm not supposed to eat. I tried to pick around them as much as possible but still ate some. This morning I wasn't in any pain - but my bowels got sufficiently cleaned out. So - I'm pretty well convinced that fructose is my major issue with all the diarrhea. Also - since stopping the vitamin C last week I haven't had a tummy ache. Sure hoping I've found my fix!
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• I hope so for you too, Tomi!

Comment

• Wootwoot, middle son has passed! I have no doubt youngest has passed too (he gets his results tomorrow). Oldest will know later today, and then can start looking for yet another school (4th in 4 years, he's running out of options).

I've been a little lax with the fodmaps the last days and I'm constipated again. Isn't it strange how the same things give one person diarrhea and another person the exact opposite? But let me tell you it was worth it! We had DH's boss (from Philadelphia) and 2 colleagues for dinner yesterday. I made Italian antipasto (raw ham, coppa, salame with melon), then slow roasted crispy duck legs (recipe on my blog) with fennel-orange salad, grilled veggies-on-a-stick and oven-roasted potatoes. Dessert was an awesome homemade mango-sorbet with strawberrie 'soup'. The sorbet was sweetened with just a little honey and the 'soup' with a little maple syrup. So good!!! Today I'm back to low fodmap.

Gotta run, I have to pick up little niece from school, she's staying here overnight while her parents and baby brother are shopping at the Disneyland Paris (she chose to go to the school picnic instead of going to Disneyland!).

Comment

• All 3 my sons have passed. The 2 youngest had very happy teachers, they are doing really well. Oldest has good votes, but has been expelled from school, so.he has to look for another school. Again. 4 schools in 4 years. I am fed up with his behavior. He stays in bed till well after lunch time, the, gets up and gets out. I only have a vague idea where he is or what he's doing. Yesterday I was going from one school to another (for DS2 and DS3), then to the hairdresser with 2 boys, while he was in bed. Then I got a text message from DS1: well, as I have good grades I think I deserve 5 euro's, when are you home? I sent a message back that I didn't know when I would be home (had to wait at the hairdresser for 2 boys, then had to pick up a few parcels) and this could certainly wait. He demanded where I was, he would come to pick up the money...what??? I NEVER gave money for good grades and I'm not starting now. Besides he still owes us money (we pay for his cell phone but last month he spent 3 times more than he was allowed, so he has to pay it back). And although yes, his grades are good, he got expelled! He called me and I told him I didn't want to discuss this over the phone. He then called me like 20 times while I was in the car, I turned off my phone. He left me 5 voicemails callong me names and said he hoped I had an accident. He the took back those words, but called me some more names.

I don't know what to do with him anymore...I just want him to grow up, get a job and get out of this house so we can live in peace...

Comment

Working...
                                X