No announcement yet.

Candy in Primal Wonderland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sabine, he does eat leftovers (meat, fish) sometimes for breakfast, so I don't think it'll be a problem for him to move away from the muesli. I think it's more psychological .

Thanks for the link, Chris!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

Just a short entry today, had a nice day in the spring sun
      Breakfast: coffee, 2 BBBBalls and 1 creamy coconut/chocolat bonbon
      Lunch: steamed veggies with a leftover from yesterday's fish and a piece of french cheese (Tomme de Montagne)
      Afternoon snack: raw pecan/raw cocoa nibbles
      Dinner: slowcooked duckleg (my mom bought it in France yesterday) with some more steamed veggies

Didn't feel like running this morning, but then decided to go running while my son Lex was at the ranch for his horse riding lesson. Went shoe-shopping with my mom this morning. Had an easy afternoon in the spring sun .

Comment

I thought I'd have breakfast this morning, it is the weekend after all! So I had a banana-coconut milk smoothie (although I wasn't hungry). Oh boy, it's been on my stomach the whole morning .
        Skipped lunch, because my stomach still wasn't very happy, starting to feel a little better now.
        OK, I'm off grocery shopping and then I intend to spend some time in the sun in our garden!

Comment

Isn't it interesting, how once your body starts working as it should, when you feed if it is not hungry, there are problems.

I never had that situation when I was ALWAYS abusing my body- I guess it just didn't know the difference. Now it is educated. And not afraid to speak up when I blow it.

Comment

Hi Candy,

Just caught up on your journal. I love how you and your family live in and travel throughout Europe. So Jealous. I lived in Spain for 4 months 20+ years ago. I always wanted to go back. I am a Mom to three sons as well ages 16,14 & 7.

I want to see bellydancing pictures here soon, so get back to it!
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              Isn't it interesting, how once your body starts working as it should, when you feed if it is not hungry, there are problems.

I never had that situation when I was ALWAYS abusing my body- I guess it just didn't know the difference. Now it is educated. And not afraid to speak up when I blow it.
              It's amazing, isn't it!

@Pebbles: unfortunately I can't go belly dancing now, because it's the same evening as school . I'm starting with crossfit on Thursday though, looking forward to build some muscles - and when school is done I'll reconsider the belly dancing .

Comment

Hi Candy!

Originally posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
                If someone told me 2 months ago I would be skipping breakfast, or at least not get hungry before 11am I would have said he's crazy. If someone would have told me last year that I wouldn't mind feeling a bit hungry, that I would think it's just a "funny feeling in my stomach", I would have laughed and asked what he'd been smoking . But it's true for me now: since I realized I don't have to eat if I'm not hungry I don't have breakfast until I get hungry (I do have coffee with coconut milk when I get up). And I usually don't get hungry before 11am, and even then I can wait, because it really is just a funny feeling in my stomach. Back when I was 'sugar addicted" being hungry was painful, I would get all shaky and aggressive!
                Yup, I was the same (only change 2 months to 1.5 years)

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                Ok, so this is multil step, so bear with me...

First start your coffee, then...

Go toBariatric Foodie: BF Basics: How to Make a Hot Protein Drink
                Thanks for this, I'm going to try it, only with Chai (I HATE coffee)
                "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                "Moderation sucks." Suse
                "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

OK, I may have skipped lunch but totally made up for it at dinner . We took the stone grill out of the cupboard and grilled various kinds of meat (Irish ribeye steak, sausages, bacon, Spanish pata negra mignonette), I grilled green asparagus, baked a few potatoes and some peppers, made guacamole. It felt so festive . And then I had made chocolate mousse (my favorite recipe and it's almost primal!) and we had fresh strawberries with whipped cream , I enjoyed every bit of it!!! It's the weekend after all .
                  I used 'Gula Java unrefined Coconut blossom sugar' to sweeten the chocolate mousse, anyone heard of this before? It says "Recognised as the most sustainable form of sugar by the FAO"
                  Gandhi, 3rd of May 1939: “The use of coconut blossom sugar is a way to solve the world’s poverty. The juice of the coconut tree can be transformed into a sugar as soft as honey… Nature created this product such that it could not be processed in factories. Palm sugar can only be produced in palm tree habitats. Local populations can easily turn the nectar into coconut blossom sugar. It is a way to solve the world’s poverty. It is also an antidote against misery.”
                  Could this be considered 'primal'?

Comment

"Thanks for this, I'm going to try it, only with Chai (I HATE coffee)"

it is fantastic with tea as well!

never heard of coconut blossom-sounds interesting
                    Chris
                    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

Another beautiful spring day in Belgium. We're enjoying every minute of it, as I know it could change any day and we could have rain for weeks then .
                      I started the day with a cup of coffee with a dollop of whipped cream (leftover from yesterday's strawberries), so yummie .
                      Lunch was a simple salad (romaine lettuce and tomatoes) with some very nice Italian raw ham (culatello, the most savory - and expensive - part of the ham) and some grilled vegetables.
                      I went running in the forrest with DH and our 2 youngest sons and it went so good! After that we had a snack, a portion of my homemade chocolate mousse. I was in doubt though, I wanted a slice of rye bread with raisins (DH brought it from the bakery this morning) with a thick layer of butter, but then decided I didn't want it badly enough and my chocolate mousse is surely the most primal option then. And it was good .
                      Dinner was a free-range chicken, roasted in the oven, with stir fried mixed vegetables (carrots, snow peas, broccoli) and a glas of red wine.
                      I'll go to bed early this evening, as I had an hour less last night (DST this weekend in Europe).

@wineandcandy: how do you make your chai?

Comment

I am interested in Chai too. I don't drink coffee. Love the smell, hate the taste.

Belgium sounds so pretty. I picture lots of trees, bluffs, rock walks/fences, etc. Iowa is flat and everything is cut down to make room for confinement farms or cornfields.
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

In my town there's still lots of trees, we have some (small) forest nearby and a big park. And at the moment the weather is nice so I'm not complaining . I have to put some pictures on my blog again (kids, rabbits & stuff like that ).

Just a short entry today, as I'm reading through PrimalCajun's journal! Monday is working day, so I left early this morning. It's almost bedtime here for me and I'm really tired (stupid DST, missed an hour sleep this weekend!).

B: coffee and 2 Batty's Blueberry Butter Balls
                          L: chicory, tomato, leftover chicken and some mayo
                          D: veal steak with roasted sweet potato and a salad made of fennel, orange, olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Tomorrow is working day as well, so I'll be up early again (6am). Off to bed now!

Comment

Several ways, it depends on how much time I have

1. Chai bag with whipping cream
                            2. Chai bag with spiced whipping cream (in a small jar I add ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, pepper, and cloves to the whipping cream - but the ground spices tend to settle to the bottom of the cup. sometimes I add Chinese 5 spice and/or vanilla extract)
                            3. In a pot, combine star anise, cinnamon sticks, crushed cardamom pods, ginger slices, pepper corns, cloves, and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer. Then add vanilla extract. (You could put a vanilla bean in the pot at the beginning) I strain it and add it to a 1/2 cup of hot Chai (with whipping cream). I either use it right away or pour this in a jar and keep it in the fridge.
                            4. sometimes I do step 3 with more water and add regular teabags at the end (about 10 minutes - no longer or it turns bitter).

I prefer #3.

If you want/need to you could add honey or Stevia or your sweetener of choice, I don't.
                            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                            "Moderation sucks." Suse
                            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
                              Several ways, it depends on how much time I have

1. Chai bag with whipping cream
                              2. Chai bag with spiced whipping cream (in a small jar I add ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, ginger, pepper, and cloves to the whipping cream - but the ground spices tend to settle to the bottom of the cup. sometimes I add Chinese 5 spice and/or vanilla extract)
                              3. In a pot, combine star anise, cinnamon sticks, crushed cardamom pods, ginger slices, pepper corns, cloves, and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer. Then add vanilla extract. (You could put a vanilla bean in the pot at the beginning) I strain it and add it to a 1/2 cup of hot Chai (with whipping cream). I either use it right away or pour this in a jar and keep it in the fridge.
                              4. sometimes I do step 3 with more water and add regular teabags at the end (about 10 minutes - no longer or it turns bitter).

I prefer #3.

If you want/need to you could add honey or Stevia or your sweetener of choice, I don't.
                              Sounds delish! Thank you!
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Thanks! I've been making a Chai spice mixture already, so I could just make tea with black tea and the spices and add (whipped) cream, I guess.

Didn't have time to post here yesterday, because I've been busy reading Pam's (Lopisheep) journal (almost there!). And the day before I've been reading PrimalCajun's journal. Reading about their struggle with weight loss made me think. I started to track my eats on paleotrack.com about a week ago, because reading other people's journals and their thoughts on min/max fat, protein and carbs made me wonder how I was doing. I have no clue though how much I should be having (there should be a way to calculate that somewhere here on MDA? I haven't found it yet though). And I noticed the last few days I was starting to behave as I was on a diet: "oh no, this is way to much fat/not enough protein; hmmm, if I have this, then I shouldn't have that". I guess you ALL now what I mean. This is not what I had planned for me, when I started paleo/primal. So I decided to go "back to basics" and review my initial goals:

1. I want to give my body time to adjust to this lifestyle (not diet!)
                                2. I want to be able to lower (or get rid of) my pain medication => I'm down to 1/3rd already since I started! (from 900mg to 300 mg a day)
                                3. Focus and gaining strength and getting in shape => started running and I'm having my first lesson of CrossFit tomorrow!
                                4. Any weight loss will be a bonus, but is not primary goal right now! => I already lost 27 kg before going primal on a low carb/low fat diet, and although I would still like to loose another 5 kg or so I already look great

And then now evaluating what primal has done for me until now:
                                * my skin looks great! It was really dry before and is now ever so soft; I haven't needed hand-cream in weeks.
                                * I feel great! I have tons of energy during the day and most nights I sleep really well.
                                * I don't have cravings, not even when in 'PMS'
                                * my first period on paleo/primal was the first since I stopped hormonal contraception (10 months ago) that I didn't need painkillers
                                * I'm learning to listen to my body and can tell almost immediately if I've eaten/done something that is not good for it
                                * I don't need breakfast and I don't get hungry until lunch time! I used to need breakfast AND a snack to get to lunchtime!
                                * Hunger is just a feeling in my stomach. It doesn't hurt, it doesn't make me go crazy/cranky/aggressive/shaky.
                                * I don't need snacks. If I'm hungry I can have a snack, but I don't "need" it to feel good.

Now that's quite a list, isn't it .

So I'll continue to post what I eat to my journal, but for the moment I'm not going to track it anymore. I'll continue weighing once a week, just to make sure I'm not gaining weight . And I'm going to enjoy the journey again!

Comment

Working...
                                X