No announcement yet.

Candy in Primal Wonderland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the percentages off? You've got carbohydrates marked at a lower percentage than fat but there is 18g more carb then fat.

And yes, of course I wish
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
    Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
    Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

• The percentage is percentage of calories. Fat has more calories per gram than carbs, that's why these numbers look a bit odd .

Yesterday my ratios were better! I didn't have a "real" breakfast, instead had bone broth, coffee with coconut cream and half way the morning a tablespoon of almond butter. Then lunch: avocado-tuna-sushi: mix 1 avocado, 1 can of tuna (drained), 1 tablespoon homemade paleo-mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, green olives and wrap in Nori sheets.
      Dinner was crockpot beef stew, sauteed mushrooms and chicory. After a 2 hour workout at CrossFit (1 "normal" Wod, 1 mobility class WOD) I had an orange.

Energy: 1468 calories
      Source Calories Quantity
      Protein 23% 87g
      Fat 61% 104g
      Carbs 17% 64g
      My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
      My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
      Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
      Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• So, I'm investigating on how to make sourdough with buckwheat, in order to make bread for my boys. They're the only ones still eating bread, but I'd like to give them a healthier (read: glutenfree) alternative than what I buy at the bakery right now. It'll be a little time consuming in the beginning, but I know that once I get the sourdough going it's not that much work. The dough only needs long resting times .

And I finally have a goal on the goal board in our CrossFit gym! On this board everyone can write their CrossFit goal for the new year. The board is getting quite full, but I couldn't think of any goal for myself. I don't feel the need to set a (new) PR on any WOD. Unlike some people I've mastered double unders when I was still carrying my hair in 2 ponytails (and let me tell you, that is a looooooong time ago, like 35 years or so!) and I'm still quite good at it . But I was reminded of my nemesis on Wednesday's Mobility WOD: handstands. I can do them. I KNOW I can do them - I've done a few last year. But I just freeze when I have to do them. Every.single.time. It's like a mental block, a fear that just paralyzes me! And I don't understand why: I never hurt myself doing handstand, I never fell badly. Maybe I'm just scared that my arms and shoulders aren't able to carry my weight, maybe there's a little dark corner at the back of my brain where I'm still convinced that I'm a) obese and b) still suffering from fibromyalgia and thus c) physically not capable of doing a handstand? I don't know. But that's what I'm bound to find out this year. And that's what I've written on the goal board: this year I want to overcome this fear. This is the year I'll do "fearless" handstands!

This is what I ate yesterday (is anyone interested in this stuff anyway?)
        Breakfast: homemade bone broth, cup of coffee with coconut milk
        Lunch: leftover crockpot beef stew, sauteed mushrooms and some leftover parsnip-carrot mash
        Dinner: tomato-paprikasoup made with the leftover “gravy” of yesterday’s stew; beef patty, 1 avocado, leftover chicory, roasted beetroots
        Snack: 1 tablespoon almond butter mid-morning, 1 more after dinner to up my fat intake (was a bit low on calories and especially fat)
        Drinks: 2 cups of coffee, a mug of Kill all the bugs tea (without honey, but with addition of Chai spices and coconut cream), a mug of mint tea, water

This translated to: 1395 calories
        Source Calories Quantity
        Protein 25% 90g
        Fat 52% 85g
        Carbs 23% 85g
        Last edited by Candy in Wonderland; 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM. Reason: the eats, forgot the eats!

Comment

• Crossfit gyms around here are too over crowded. It's almost stressful just looking for open time slots so I've gone back to a conventional gym.

As for food logs... no body cares... but it makes for a good accountability. It's for you not us. By posting publicly you are reminded during the day that others could be watching.

As for bread solutions:
          The Paleo Bread Search is Officially Over!

Enjoy! I've done it with macadamia nut butter and it works quite well.
          Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
          Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension

Comment

• Originally posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
            Woohoow I'm so excited! I'm going to do a sexy, lingerie-photo-shoot next month!
            Great idea!

Originally posted by tomi View Post
            Sugar doesn't effect me nearly as powerfully as grains, so its a bit easier to slip with that.
            Yes!

Originally posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
            Then lunch: avocado-tuna-sushi: mix 1 avocado, 1 can of tuna (drained), 1 tablespoon homemade paleo-mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, green olives and wrap in Nori sheets.
            What an interesting lunch!

Originally posted by ecks View Post
            As for bread solutions:
            The Paleo Bread Search is Officially Over!

Enjoy! I've done it with macadamia nut butter and it works quite well.
            Hmmm, I may have to try that!
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Thanks for the link, ecks! But 'bread' made from nutbutter is really expensive (nutbutters cost A LOT here!) and my kids don't like it as much. I think/hope buckwheat (which actually isn't a grain, but a pseudo-grain like quinoa and therefore glutenfree) will be more like 'real bread' to my picky boys. They mostly eat what we eat, but sometimes they just want a sandwich. And by fermenting it (with the sourdough) it should loose most of the anti-nutrients.

So winter has finally returned to Belgium. After weeks and weeks of rain and temperatures around 10 - 12C, the sun is back and so are the freezing temperatures. This morning it was -6C when I left for work, brrrr! Yesterday afternoon I've been outside the whole afternoon, because we had our annual New Years drink in our street. I'm one of the organizers, so had to be there all the time. We made 3 kinds of soup (I made spicy pumpkin soup), there was hot chocolate, mulled wine and different kinds of "jenever" (typical Belgian alcoholic drink), cupcakes, marshmallows and salted cookies. I only had a cup of tea and 2 cups of my own spicy pumpkin soup (W30 approved) and it wasn't even hard to stick to my W42! When people asked if I was on a diet because I didn't drink or eat, I said I was just doing 6 weeks of clean eating. It doesn't FEEL like a diet, it's not something I have to do, it's something I want to do. Not because I need to loose weight (although my goal for this year is to loose about 10 kg), but because I want my body to be healthy. That is such a mind-shift for me. That is the biggest mental accomplishment of paleo for me: not feeling like I'm on a diet. It truly is a lifestyle .

Comment

• Nice job! Its always hard to not join in when there are so many others 'indulging'.......... so I hope you gave yourself a big pat on the back for staying clean and true to your goals! HIGH FIVES!
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion
                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I've been wondering about buckwheat. I should experiment with it because it is quite cheap here. The almond/nut butter breads are just too expensive for me, although they are quite good. I haven't found a good cauliflower bread recipe yet. Obviously I would like to keep carbs low, and cauliflower bread has got to be lower than almond butter.

Nice work on the eating and on answering questions!
                  My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

That is the biggest mental accomplishment of paleo for me: not feeling like I'm on a diet. It truly is a lifestyle .
                    That's the best part about these resets is that they make you feel more normal then when you are on paleo. There's no moment of "should I have it or should I not?" and there is less likely hood of giving it because clean lines are drawn. When there is temptation you can give into you feel like you're on a diet but a good solid no makes you feel like you're in control!

Comment

When people asked if I was on a diet because I didn't drink or eat, I said I was just doing 6 weeks of clean eating. It doesn't FEEL like a diet, it's not something I have to do, it's something I want to do. Not because I need to loose weight (although my goal for this year is to loose about 10 kg), but because I want my body to be healthy. That is such a mind-shift for me. That is the biggest mental accomplishment of paleo for me: not feeling like I'm on a diet. It truly is a lifestyle .
                      That mind shift is the key.
                      "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
                      "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
                      "Moderation sucks." Suse
                      "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
                      "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Good morning everyone . It's really winter in my corner of the world: we had more snow and it's still freezing...and it ain't over yet! I love this so much more than the dreary, drizzling weather we've had until december! Although I realize it's not all fun for people who have to be outside a lot.
                        Still going strong on the W30, although I did have 'SWYPO' yesterday : I ate paleo pancakes (recipe by the Paleo Parents). But it was a conscience decision, not a craving; all the ingredients were perfectly W30 approved, no added sweeteners etc. . I'm not considering this a fail. I ate them with baked apple slices. After the kids had breakfast there were some leftover, so I ate the last ones this morning, with some nut-butter on top of them. Moving on .
                        I've made an average of my macro's this week:
                        kcal: 1598
                        Protein: 21% (% of calories) or 86 gr
                        Fat: 57% (% of calories) or 103 gr
                        Carbs: 22% (% of calories) or 92 gr

I don't feel like I've lost any weight. I know I shouldn't focus on that, but I would be really happy with some weight loss. My close are not any looser; well yes, they are compared to last week but that's only because it was "that time of the month" which makes me bloat and look like I'm 6 months pregnant *sigh* although I have to say there was a lot less bloating this month compared to last month! Only 4 months pregnant this time .

Comment

• 2 weeks of Whole30 gone and I haven't lost a single gram . I'm normally the one motivating the others in our Health Challenge group, but at this moment I'm having a hard time . I'm not cheating, I'm doing all the good things, but apparently not good enough? And of course the men in the group are bragging about all the weight they're losing! These are my averages over the last 2 weeks, what do you think? Should I go lower in carbs? I'm kind of scared to do that....I think going VLC is what caused my hair loss when I first started paleo/primal.
                          week kcal Protein % Fat % Carbs % Protein gr Fat gr Carbs gr
                          1 1646 22% 56% 21% 93 106 93
                          2 1598 21% 57% 22% 86 103 92

I've started reading "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Has anyone read this book? I think her approach is more WAPF, but there is A LOT of information in that book! I actually bought it because I want to learn about fermentation, I didn't expect this wealth of information!

Comment

• :P you're not supposed to weigh during a whole30. Some people don't start feeling any effect of Whole30 until the last few days. Even further you have to keep in mind that weighing in early can discourage you from continuing on and succeeding (not to mention that it will ruin your relationship with food). Honestly (and I feel like a broken record at this point). Check out "It Starts With Food". It's the book written by the people who created the Whole30 program and it's outstanding.

Try cut the sugars for a few days. Bring your carbs as low as you can go really and really up the fats and the protein. I know it sounds scary but you have to trust that fat will not harm you (fat is your friend!).

Comment

• Ecks, I read the book, I KNOW I'm not supposed to weigh... I'm not afraid of fat, in the past 2 weeks my average fat intake has been 57% of calories; protein 22% and carbs 21%. What scares me is going VLC. I lost lots and lots of hair on low-carb last year, don't want to go back to that! Also: I'm feeling cold most of the time, my feet and hands are freezing! I read several articles where it says that being cold (especially feet and hands) is a tell-tale sign of weak thyroid function and going VLC makes it worse. I notice right away when I eat a little more carbs I'm less cold. There are other signs (like lack of sex drive etc.). No chance of me going VLC soon. First I'm going to do some more investigation on this. I want to loose weight, I don't want to loose my health!
                              Anyhow, I'm in a better mental place today . I've hidden the scale and don't intend to jump back on until the end of my W42. And maybe I'll stop tracking my macro's because it's freaking me out.

Comment

• Tracking might be effecting you as well...

I wonder what the imbalance in you may be. Maybe it would help if you got thyroid checked? I know you've likely read this but I'm posting it here anyways... I thought it was a good read.

A Different Perspective on Hypothyroidism | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

Working...
                                X