Candy in Primal Wonderland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love those bird nests.
    Enjoy your 'staycation' with your honey! No kids at home can be a lot of fun.

Comment

• Hi Candy
      I got my one and only Tatoo in my 40's!!! I had never even wanted one. It is small and hidden though and I do not regret it!

Comment

• Hi everyone, just a quick update. I'm reallly enjoying the 'staycation' (hihi, thanks Sabine) with DH, every single minute of it!
        The kiddo's are having a great time in Sicily with my parents, thanks to modern technology we talk regulary over skype .
        I'll have a lot of catching up to do in everyone's journals, that'll keep me busy when I'm back at work .

I did decide to postpone the Whole30 to September . I want to enjoy a glass of wine, or some chocolate and even ice cream once in a while . September will be the right moment to get "back in shape". I'm keeping an eye on my weight, just making sure it doesn't go up, but so far so good.

OK, I'm off again, going to a festival with DH!
        My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
        My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
        Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
        Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• I'm glad you're enjoying your vacation. I wish I had been more responsible with my leave so I could take a few days off. Gonna be a few weeks before I can take more than one day... I get one day a month of accumulated leave, so if I want to take a week off, I'll have to wait 4 more months!! EEK! Enjoy your time!
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Time off is so important! We need a break from the routine every once in a while. I'm glad you are enjoying time alone with hubby
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I'm back (in the office that is ). I really enjoyed those 2 weeks alone with DH, but I'm happy that my boys are back home now (since yesterday evening)!
              And now I'm off to read all of your journals!

Comment

• Hey there, Candy. We've missed you.

Comment

• Hi Sabine, I thought of you girls often but was busy doing nothing special with DH .

Ugh, the weather here in Belgium has been just awful the last week, it's been raining every single day! Today started nice and sunny, but now it's all cloudy again (with rain). What a difference for my kiddo's: yesterday morning the left Sicily with 45C (113F) and here it was hardly 15C (59F) . I'm sick and tired of the rain and desperately need some sunshine! Wednesday should be ok (or at least not raining), let's hope it gets better soon.

I'm going to do a Whole30 in September, and DH wants to join me. He's only a bit concerned about what he'll be eating for breakfast and lunches at work: he still has (homemade spelt sourdough) bread then. I'm planning on just starting to cook double amounts of dinner, so there's enough left for breakfast and lunches on other days. I'm going to try to challenge DS1 to join, I'm kind of hoping it would help with behavioral problems too (ADHD/ODD)? But he's 16 and is a first class sugar addict. I've cleaned out my kitchen cupboards last week and found several empty cake decoration jars (you know, those sugary and colorful sprinkels and hearts and things)! I know they were NOT empty last time I used those (in my pre-primal times)!
                  Last edited by Candy in Wonderland; 07-16-2012, 04:58 AM. Reason: updating as I think about things ;)

Comment

• dwain391 is a spambot thingy.......... just hit my journal too, only used one of my own posts so it was pretty obvious. I sure wish they could do something about this.

Glad to hear your time with hubby was good! I think getting your son OFF sugar would make a huge difference in his behavior! Don't give him the option, just don't supply him with stuff he shouldn't eat! Great job at cleaning out the kitchen/pantry!

My son (26) has finally learned that what he eats greatly effects his body in every way. He cut out all dairy and his lifelong struggle with seasonal allergies is GONE. And, he cut out bread and his lifelong struggle with acne is also gone! No more need to spend his hard earned dollars on ProActive! yeah! If your son can see and feel the difference in his own behavior as a result of cutting sugar (and carbs in general) I'm sure he would be happy to continue it on his own.

So, vacation is over and its back to reality........
                    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                      I think getting your son OFF sugar would make a huge difference in his behavior! Don't give him the option, just don't supply him with stuff he shouldn't eat! Great job at cleaning out the kitchen/pantry!

My son (26) has finally learned that what he eats greatly effects his body in every way. He cut out all dairy and his lifelong struggle with seasonal allergies is GONE. And, he cut out bread and his lifelong struggle with acne is also gone! No more need to spend his hard earned dollars on ProActive! yeah! If your son can see and feel the difference in his own behavior as a result of cutting sugar (and carbs in general) I'm sure he would be happy to continue it on his own.

So, vacation is over and its back to reality........
                      I don't supply him with the bad stuff, but then he spends is pocket money on it (that and cigarettes, stupid stupid stupid boy!!!). And he doesn't get that much pocket money, but still he spends it on such stupid things it makes me want to shake him and ask him what's in his head instead of brains! I'll have to really challenge him to do this with me, and promise him something he really wants if he can do it . He'll be staying 2 weeks with his other grandparents (my ex-MIL in Italy) in august and will be eating nothing but high carb foods: lots of pasta, white bread, sugary stuff and junk food *sigh*, so I hope he'll feel kind of sick of it and willing to take the challenge when he returns .

Back to reality indeed, but luckily I work part-time (only Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday-morning), so I still have enough time to spend with the kids . And DH is still home now, then works 2 weeks and then he's home till the end of August! And I have another week off in August too. Now all we need is nicer weather!

Comment

• DH and I went to a 'european folk dance fair' last week; there were several Italian food stalls (amongst others, also France and Spain were well represented). One of the Italian vendors is staying at my moms house for the summer months (with his wife and son), they're really nice people. One of the other Italian food stalls was all about sweets and cookies, but they did have a large array of gluten-free items! I caved for 2 pieces of 'torrone morbido' (soft nougat): one with mixed red berries and one with cherries (both with lot of almonds). OMG it is soooo good! I know the only 'bad' ingredient in it is really bad (white sugar but NO grains!), but I'm proud to say I've just had a small piece each day and I still have half a piece to go! In pre-primal times I would have finished the stuff in less than a day, I'm pretty sure.

I've been working on 'primal treats recipes' as well and did have some success: a really great blueberry 'semifreddo' (made with mascarpone), dairy free 'panna cotta', a really soft and spongy almond-applecake and I finally made primal chocolate chip cookies DS3 loves! I'm getting confident that I'll be able to fill a book with "gluten-free" recipes . The no-cheese-cake (dairy free) is still a challenge, the first trial was....not a success to say the least .

Comment

• Perhaps knowing that smoking is a leading indicator for impotence might make those cigarettes less appealing to DS1. At that age they don't care about dying, but sex...well, that's another matter entirely!

Comment

• Good point, Sabine! Use whatever works!!!! Honestly if it were my son - I'd tell him I won't give him pocket change if he's going to spend it on cigarettes!! Why support his poor habits? No spending money might be enough to help him quit. I have never understood why anyone would start smoking in the first place??? Its gross........ it smells horrible and makes the smoker smell like a stale ash tray.......... and its terribly expensive! In the states it costs about $5.00 a pack now because of all the taxes they've added too try to "encourage" people to stop doing it! So a pack a day-er will spend $150 a month just to suck on a stick and get nasty smoke in their lungs! I'm SOOOO happy I never started! My mom was a smoker, as was her dad, and 2 of my 3 sisters and their husbands all smoked. I think they have all quit now. So I definitely got the second hand smoke growing up.

Oh well........... I don't get it - but I also don't understand what people go through when they try to stop - I know its REALLY hard!

Candy - I also work pt -- Monday - Thursday afternoons, and if there isn't much for me to do, I might only work an hour or 2 instead of the entire afternoon.

The food festival sounds wonderful - and GOOD job! on just nibbling! In my former years I would have found some nice chocolate-peanut clusters and ate a whole bagfull!
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
                              Now all we need is nicer weather!
                              2nd
                              Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
                              When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Comment

• SUMMER IS FINALLY HERE! Yay, blue sky and nice temperatures since Saturday afternoon and they're going to last until Thursday .
                                TMI warning: I've been having a bit of constipation ever since going primal, not a real problem but last week that resulted in a bad case of hemorrhoids , literally a pain in the ass. And then Thursday this happened: PITA + TOM = double whammy AUCH! It was so bad I had to skip my CrossFit WOD! Luckily it's finally getting better. I also finally found some good probiotics and started taking those on Friday and I'm seeing a big difference: I can go every day now (instead of every 2 - 3 days) and also consistency is much better. Happy tummy, happy butt, happy me .

On Friday I've made the best primal "nutella-cookies" ever! ALL my sons AND husband love them (me too, but I'm easier to please ). They were so good I instantly made a second batch and took them to CrossFit on Saturday to share with our CF buddies, they were all enthusiastic. I'm baking a lot lately, tweaking recipes, because I really want to make a gluten-free dessert cookbook! And it's going great, I already have some really good recipes (including the above cookies). I try to make my recipes as primal/paleo as possible, but some will include dairy (others are dairy-free) and some will include sugar (most recipes use coconut-palm-sugar, honey, maple syrup or dates as sweetener). My next challenge is making Macarons de Paris, and I think it would be very hard to make them with an alternative sweetener. But whatever I bake at least it's all grain-free, no compromises there!

Comment

Working...
                                X