No announcement yet.

Candy in Primal Wonderland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, you're belgian too and have a son named Lex just like me??? What a coincidence!!! Yeah right, I think I'll hit the "triangle of death" on you, spammer . Or should I be proud, it's my first spammer .

Oh, forgot to mention, I am PAIN-MEDICATION FREE as of yesterday, woohoow!!!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Wow, Candy IW, awesome on being free of your pain meds! As your body gets the remnants out it can only improve your overall health! Excellent work! And it sounds like your kids and hubby are coming around. It can be quite a challenge on some levels - hubby is on board with me but the kids can resist at times and I can imagine with your kids being that much older it would be harder. But if you persist and just don't keep junk in the house, and don't get too pushy either (that fun parental tightrope) I bet they will come around. Do you think you could challenge them to try it for a few weeks and then if they don't feel better and stronger etc they could go back to the less healthy stuff? Just thinking out loud... depends a lot on what they are like personality wise. Good luck getting them all on board!
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Wow! I am so happy for you. No more meds. I think that is the best thing you can do for your health as they mess everything else up, it seems. I keep watching people taking meds, and their issues just get worse and worse, and -- of course -- doctors never even address diet! Congratulations. You deserve a special primal meal. Great about DH too. That will take a lot of stress away for all of you:-)

Comment

• @Coll: I'm making sure they eat as healthy as possible at home; started making my own sourdough spelt bread too. I don't buy "junk food" anymore (or accept it in my house - exception made for a limited amount of easter eggs); if it's not there, they don't ask about it! They only have (homemade) bread with breakfast and lunch now (now more cereals!), we'll see how it evolves from here . I don't want to push it, and will still allow them "non-primal" (or "junk") food when we're at other people's houses and hope they will start to choose the healthier options when they start feeling the difference.
          @Pam: I know a few people with auto-immune problems (one with MS, one with CVS) and my MIL has some health problems too that I guess would be "cured" with leaving the grains out....but they are soooo into CW . Especially MIL is really into low-fat (as she has high cholesterol issues too). When I mentioned I don't "do" breakfast anymore, because I'm not hungry in the morning, MIL and FIL both were shocked, because don't I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day??? So I (cowardly) decided not to go there and just leave it (I just replied I didn't think our ancestors had 3 meals, let alone 6! meals a day and day still survived, didn't they?). I can only try to 'set the example' and continue on this LIFESTYLE to show them wrong.

Comment

• That's my thinking too... no more talk about how they should be following me... instead I'll take my own path and show them that I'm making progress and they aren't. My MIL has fibro like you. She went to the Mayo Clinic last week and they touched on some aspects of diet (known trigger foods like nightshades and alcohol) but did not touch on wheat as a trigger. I should buy her a copy of Wheat Belly. I believed Mark when she said wheat(grains) were bad, but something about Wheat Belly just solidified that logic for me.

But, I'm done suggesting... I just want to tell them: do what you want and see how you feel later... as for me and my family, we will follow in the footsteps of our ancestors (as much as I can with my hubby and kids) and see who feels better. When you're ready to feel better too, give me a call. Until then, do NOT tell me I'm eating too much bacon, too much fat, or too many eggs. I know what I'm doing.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I second that

Comment

• Wow what a dinner! We didn't have much of an Easter lunch this year, so today I decided to prepare a fabulous After-Easter dinner : slow-roasted marinated (grass-fed) lamb shoulder with roasted sweet potatoes and haricots (green beans) with garlic and sliced almonds. Wow! This was just fantastic! And almost no work at all. I will put the recipe on my blog right away...no pictures sadly, because it was soooooo good I just forgot to take a picture!
                We had fresh strawberries with biological whipped cream (42% fat, it was so thick I hardly had to beat it!) with a little palm sugar.

Nothing much more to say, we had an 'easy' day. Diddy's girlfriend came over, they "hung out" in the park with friends this afternoon and she stayed for lunch and dinner (she lives 18 km from here, it's 15 minutes by car, but almost an hour by bus). Off to read all your journals now

Comment

• I love hearing how excited this entry was You go girl!!

Comment

• Recipes for our "After-Easter Dinner" can be found here: Slow-roasted marinated lamb | Candy in Wonderland

Comment

• Today I went to the movies with the kids, we saw "The Pirates: band of Misfits", it was funny . Kiddo's had popcorn (we had a voucher for free popcorn), but I brought a handful raw pecan/raw cocoa nibbs. Just hearing all the other people chewing on their snacks gives me the munchies .
                      I also baked 4 spelt-sourdough breads (enough for a whole week for the children and DH).
                      At lunch we had leftover lamb from yesterday, with a fennel-orange-salad. Dinner was roasted red beets and leftover green beans with almonds (from yesterday) with meatballs in tomato-sauce (the kids had spelt pasta with them).
                      Going to spend some time with DH now .

Comment

• Sounds like a nice weekend ahead. Glad the bread is working for your family. Sometimes you just have to ease them into changes even if it is not where you want them - it is all part of the journey.
                        Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                        Primal low: 186 lbs
                        Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                        Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Hmm, the snack idea for the movies sounds like a good one!
                          Don't let nobody try and take your soul. You're the original . --Switchfoot- The Original

GW: 135 SW: 156.8 CW: 156.8

Comment

• Candy I loved the movie snack idea~ and funny enough even though I have never been a pop-corn eater I feel the same as you when I hear others eating it at the movies!!!!WTH??

Comment

• Isn't it true! And I knew I wasn't hungry, just felt like nibbling away. Pecans and raw cocoa is way better than popcorn (also in taste!) and as I brought only a handful I didn't go crazy on it either .

Yesterday is a whole different story though . I went to CrossFit with the kids and on the way home (it was past lunchtime) I ate too many nuts/dried cherries. When we got home DH already had lunch ready (big omelet with bacon, yum yum!) and I had an avocado with that. I went grocery shopping in the afternoon and when I got home I just "wanted" a banana (I had taken them with me for after workout, but had the nuts instead). So I had a banana while making dinner....and then wasn't hungry anymore but as we were all having dinner together I felt obliged to eat *sigh*. Had a bowl of tomato-paprika-soup (with little meatballs) and then a little mackerel (fresh, roasted in the oven) and a few roasted purple and yellow carrots (I saw them at the shop and found it so funny, purple carrots!) and felt stuffed.
                              After dinner I went out with my BFF (we meet up once every few months and chat the night away ). We had tea and coffee and I couldn't resist and had a crème brûlée, and 3 coconut cookies (grain-free, but not sugar-free) and a chocolate.... Hmmm. Oh well, I enjoyed it and as Sabine also said, today is a new day .

Time to get dressed, we already had lunch and I'm still in my pajama's.

Comment

• Today's eats:
                                B: coffee with coconut milk and 2 BBBalls
                                L: leftover roasted purple and yellow carrots with leftover mackerel
                                S: strawberries with full-fat Greek yogurt
                                D: oven roasted chicken with a wonderful spice mixture I received in a foodswap, a salad, homemade applesauce (apples, coconut oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup) and homemade fries (only a small handful for me). And 1 glass of red wine

Tomorrow DH and me will be back at work and kids back to school, I'm a little sad the Easter holiday is over again . I love spending time with my family, really enjoyed it even if the weather wasn't really cooperative . Oh well, 2.5 months to go to summer holiday!

Comment

Working...
                                X