No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting hungry... I last ate about 9 pm last night (damn primal bars!), so currently, I'm almost 13 hours into a fast. I was going to wait until 10 to eat, and would eat my lunch, but I wanna eat now. lol I'm obsessing about my lunch. Could be because it's sitting on my desk staring at me saying "EAT ME!!!" lol 15 minutes early won't make a big difference, will it? I wouldn't think so anyway. I'm gonna eat.

I'm gonna eat my serving of primal meatloaf, leftover carrots and two boiled eggs. That should be MORE than enough to carry me til dinner which will be about 7ish... 10 hours from now. Yeah. I'll be good. Time to chow!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

Good Morning Jenn, that sounds like a pretty healthy lunch and I think if your hungry you need to eat just so your not obsessing over it. I am leaving for a sprint/hike then I will be coming home to eat also. Have a great day..

Comment

Ate my lunch and finished my online hunter ed course so far today... yep, that's all I've done... hunter ed and eat. Thinking about what I want to do for fitness today. I was going to run, but I didn't bring my jog bra - just the type I use for other fitness activities that doesn't require such a high amount of bounce reduction. I could lift heavy things... I could hop on the bike for a swift 8 mile ride... or I could just walk... it looks like it could rain, so indoor activities are probably better... My knees hurt so I don't know if I really want to do squats... and I don't know if I really feel like putting the effort into a LHT workout...

Eh... maybe I don't feel like doing anything at all... I'm going walking with my sister-in-law tonight if it doesn't rain. We'll have three kids with us so we won't go far - especially since one will want to ride his bike.

I guess what I really don't want to do is go through the process of changing clothes for the gym. I know I'll feel better once I get moving. I'll take my clothes to the gym with me, change if I feel like it. If not, I'll walk the track. If I feel inspired, I'll change and ride the bike and read. Nice slow ride. Nothing crazy. probably won't even strive for 8 miles.

Feeling pretty blah today... must be the weather. I hate cloudy days.

Comment

Good Sunday afternoon Jenn, hope your having an awesome day and being relaxed and peaceful!

Comment

What a weekend! I managed to do exactly as I had planned all weekend long! I remained primal all weekend, with the exception of Saturday evening as planned. I did NOT eat wheat, but I did enjoy some baked beans, potato salad, potato chips and Mt. Dew. I didn't feel that great as the night went on (tummy was unhappy with my food choices) and the sugar gave me a headache, but I had fun anyway.

Last night, DH wanted to order Chinese for dinner from the place that I'm pretty sure uses MSG. I did not partake and instead made a primal version of the same dish. It was pretty good. LOADED with calories though, so I did not bring the leftovers to work with me. I enjoyed it on a bed of sauteed broccoli slaw. Yummy. Next time I will add more water to the sauce to thin it out a bit more and to dilute the flavors. They were a bit strong and the sauce too thick. I'll probably use less soy sauce (low-sodium - can't find tamari anywhere here) next time too.

here's a picture:
            MB.jpg

Today I am feeling oh so very tired. I don't know if I overdid it this weekend, if I didn't get enough sleep, or what the scoop is but I could barely keep my eyes open on the way to work this morning and it would only take seconds for me to fall asleep if I laid my head down on my desk. Tonight is going to be a long night b/c I have the last session of my hunter ed training to do. We'll be in class until 9. Then tomorrow night I have grad school. Won't get done with that until 10. I might have to skip the gym today and take a nap in my car instead... geesh! I'm so freakin' tired! I was up late last night too... but I don't know what time it was. And being tired always makes me want to eat... *sigh* I hope I can behave today.

Another thing... I'm tired of getting up early. Can I retire now??? lol

Comment

wow Jenn!! That looks wonderful!! What kind of beef did you use? And how did you make the sauce? I'm thinking that would be good with some mushrooms & broccoli thrown in!! Course you did say you used broccoli slaw...

gonna have to try that!!
              Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

It was a recipe I found on pinterest.

I used stir-fry cut beef that I found at the grocery. The recipe calls for 1 lb of flank steak cut into small strips. The meat is then dusted in starch (I used tapioca).

Sauce is ginger, garlic, water (1/2 cup), low-sodium soy sauce (1/2 cup) brown sugar (1/2 cup) - I use abotu 1/4 cup of honey and could probably reduce it, and pepper flakes. Poor about 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan, add garlic and ginger. Sautee for a quick minute, add water, soy sauce, pepper flakes and honey. Bring to a boil, then pour aside into a bowl.

Add about 2 tbls olive oil to pan again, brown meat. Add onion. Cook onion down a bit. Add sauce. Sauce will thicken upon being mixed with the meat on account of the starch.

I added a lot of pepper to mine which gave it some nice bite, but the pepper could be eliminated if you don't like it spicy.

Comment

Hi Jenn, sorry to see you're so tired. Just try to get the sleep you need, and yes maybe skip gym today.
                  Your dish looks really nice! So good you were able to stick to your plan!
                  My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                  My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                  Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                  Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

Candy, it's weird... any other time I would have said to hell with it and eaten the chinese food I picked up for him - especially since there are two servings there (well, probably 4, but definitely enough for 2). but despite being extremely ravenous and as a result, grumpy, I made my own, using the recipe I'd found, converting it to primal, and enjoyed every bite of it - without feeling so gross today or so bloated b/c of the MSG in the other...

I posted a thread in the Odds & Ends board and it seems like maybe my fatigue is caused by ketosis. I have some time before going to class tonight so maybe I'll stop at WalGreens and pick up some strips and see what they say. Hopefully it won't take real long for my body to make the switch so I can be productive and alert again!

Comment

Ahhhh... break time! Today has been a busy day! I started the day reading the journals... then had to split to write a paper for my class which is due tonight (just submitted it! YAY!!), did a tiny bit of work... and now I'm back.

So far, today has been excellent. I feel less tired today than I felt yesterday. Yesterday I was draggin something fierce! I went to Hunter Ed, got that completed and received my certificate so I can get my hunting license now. I'll be legal to hunt some deer this fall. YAY! I can see my freezer full of fresh deer meat already! I got home soon enough to see my kiddos before they went to bed, and was able to get to bed early myself. I shut off the light at 9:53 pm. I don't think it was a very good sleep though. I vaguely remember waking up a few times. I woke up at 5:30 and should have just gotten out of bed then, but decided to snooze instead.

Food has been right on target so far today. Big breakfast of 3 boiled eggs and 3 sausage links. Lunch was a grilled chicken breast with bacon and cheese added and a salad with field greens, cucumbers, carrots, egg and cheese. Dinner will be a little more scarce... I have class tonight and managed to misplace all 3 of my debit cards... yes, you read that right. I have 3 debit cards to the same account and misplaced all three cards... I have three cards b/c I misplaced two previously and then found them in my house. I know the other two are missing somewhere in my house as well - likely in the laundry or buried under some paper on the counter. I'll find them in due time... Anyhow, so dinner will be almonds and a Chobani yogurt.

All tallied, I'm short on protein, ok on fat, and great on carbs. Calories are in check as well. Here's what it looks like:

Todays Meals.jpg

I wanted to feel strong today so I did a LHT workout... my heavy thing was myself. Here is what today's fitness looks like:
                      Todays Exercise.jpg

Class tonight means sleep won't happen until after 10, which means I'll be dragging again tomorrow. Hopefully not, but I'm expecting it.

I made an observation today... I feel really really good! I don't feel bloated. I don't feel hungry. I don't feel tired. I feel really really good. And I like it!
                      Last edited by jenn26point2; 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Just spoke with my husband who met with our doctor this afternoon for a refill on his depression meds. She and I are friends on facebook and she's seen some of my pictures of food I've made. She saw one where I used whipped cream in a recipe. She commented that paleo doesn't allow dairy, so I explained to her that I'm "primal" not paleo and dairy is allowed. She did some reading I guess and says I'm misinterpreting the information on Primal... I sent her a message on facebook to see what it is that she thinks I'm misinterpreting. I think i've got it down pretty well... don't I? am i wrong?? Of course, the information she received today came from my husband who is not following the primal lifestyle, so maybe HE is misinterpreting the information since he hasn't read any of it...

She went paleo for 30 days. she's very new age in her practice and believes that diet and exercise controls everything in our bodies and our lives and would rather you change your diet than take a med, but since people come to her for meds, that's usually what they want, so she doesn't push too much unless she's pretty comfy with you as a patient who is open-minded and receptive. We talk diet and exercise all the time - both are endurance runners and she's given me quite a few tips.

Anyhow, I trust what she's saying, but wonder what it is that she thinks I have wrong... I'm anxiously awaiting her response.

Comment

Dairy is completely 'allowed'. Maybe she's misinterpreting. And besides, you are trying to find what works for your body, not conform to a set of rules for the sake of the rules.

Comment

She and I talked about it. I wasn't going to argue it with her. I know what I read and what I've seen work for the people here... besides, it's an experiment, not a definitive exact science right now.

DH on the other hand is arguing with me that I'm doing it wrong and that this lifestyle isn't going to improve my depression or anxiety b/c that's a genetic thing, etc, etc, etc. I tried to argue that genetics can be overcome by utilizing specific diet strategies because food elicits a hormone response and the key is finding that right food/hormone response connection that works for you.

I won't argue it anymore. I'm doing this because I believe it will work. I believe it's right for me. I feel it in my heart and believe it with my head. Besides, I feel wonderful! My depression and anxiety meds are working better b/c I don't have those lows anymore or the panic attacks. I'm having more highs and happy episodes than I had before. I'm not as easily stressed or annoyed or angered as I was before. I feel happier.

Whatever...

She did suggest he read the book, though, because she's read it and says it is a promising approach to health and wellness. I doubt he'll read it though. We'll see... but I have been married to him for 6 1/2 years and with him for 8 1/2. I really really doubt he'll read it. I'll be pleasantly surprised if he gets past the first chapter... he's to skeptical and cynical to give it a real chance.

Anyhow... speaking of reading, it's time for my nightly "me time" where I read for a bit before bed. Talk to y'all tomorrow.

Comment

Dairy is 'allowed' and I believe that if tolerated raw dairy in particular is approved. The bottome line I think is we have given up grains, sugar and legumes for the most part so dairy is a personal choice based on whether we can handle it or not!

I hope your DH does read and get on board with you. My DH goes along with whatever I do so I am lucky. Have a good night lady!

Comment

My DH is starting to show an interest , mainly because he's seeing what primal is doing for me, that I feel energetic and good and emotionally more stable. I'm not forcing it and I'm waiting for him to be home the next 2 weeks, because I know it would be hard getting him started when he's stressed from work/busy with work. So I think DH will try to go primal as of next monday .

I hope your DH will read the book. I guess sooner or later he's going to notice how much better you feel (and look!) and I think that will convince him more than a book though
                                My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                                My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                                Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                                Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

Working...
                                X