No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YUP - sugar is BAD! I've noticed since being on whole30 and having NO sugar for 8 days that my energy level is up and is consistant - my brain is clearer and my weight is dropping. Last night I resisted eating cookie dough cuz I knew it would make me feel sluggish today. This comes from a girl who as a child would take a slice of white bread, spread it thick with margarine, and then pile on sugar! Fold it in half and eat it! Makes my stomach turn now - but I loved it when I was young. And I was also a very pastey white, unhealthy child who got sick about once a month. Sugar is bad.
    1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
    2. Eat to heal
    3. Move to live
    4. Embrace today
    5. Live with intention
    6. Respect my body
    7. Cultivate joy
    8. Find my passion
    9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Tomi, I used to eat the same snack!

Today DH and I had to take DD back to the hospital for a follow-up pulmonology appointment. They made a final diagnosis of asthma, but said she seems to be outgrowing it already since her attacks seem to be less and less severe (either that or mom is more and more in-tune to them and catches them earlier). After the appointment, we went to Buffalo Wild Wings and for whatever reason I didn't think about getting traditional wings as those would have been the most primal option there... instead i got boneless wings and fries. Bad bad bad. Felt sluggish, exhausted and yucky all the way home. Slept for an hour when I got home before going to my doctor's appointment.

At my appointment, the doctor gave me an antibiotic to rid my sinuses of the gunk. She also said my rib pain is caused by a pulled muscle. She says essentially, my ribs have run a marathon. All I know is that it freaking hurts like a bitch and I'm ready for the ribs to feel good again. Last night I sneezed and it about dropped me to my knees. It hurt soooo bad. Truth be told, if I wasn't home today for DD's appointment, I likely would not have gone to the doctor despite the rib pain. I would have felt guilty for taking time off work to go to the doctor b/c I've taken a lot of time off here and there for appointments. I haven't worked a full 40 hours in weeks! Plus, the other guy in my office is being transferred to another post so it'll just be me in the office for a while, and leaving my two bosses without an assistant would not settle well with me. So, thankfully DD had her appointment so I could justify going to the doctor myself. lol

I was shocked this morning when the scale still said 201 despite the sugar yesterday. Hoping that today's terrible eats don't also show up on the scale. Dr's scale said 203 2 hours after eating and if I'm really good with dinner, I should still be ok tomorrow. Of course, the gut was a bit upset today. Not terrible, but I could tell a difference for sure. Right now, I can say that I miss my primal eats. I really, truly do.

Judg, I remind me tomorrow and I'll pull up that series of videos at work. My sound card doesn't work on my laptop anymore so I can't listen at home. I'm very intrigued, though.

I hope everyone's doing well and having a nice day. I'm at home with my kiddos and have a lot of work to do (as much as I can with a pulled muscle, anyway) so I better get to it. Dinner, dishes, kitchen floor, laundry, baths... the work never ends... Have a good one folks.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Ok, Day 11 has been less than superb... I had lunch with DH at Buffalo Wild Wings and for whatever reason, did not consider the traditional wings... Not sure what my thinking was there - didn't even look at them! I, sadly, chose boneless wings instead and yes, ate some wedges. But, that's all I've had to eat today. I'll eat the rest of my watermelon tonight in hopes of loading up on water so that I can pee out the sodium and crap that came with the BWW and deal with the repercussions of PUFAs and wheat tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll be back at work and back in my normal element so I think things will definitely be better by far.

That being said, the scale still read 201 this morning and after BWW I went to the doctor and it only said 203... with any luck, I can bring it back down to 201 before tomorrow. I'd feel terrible if I screwed up my weight loss b/c of this one (ok, two) mistake.

My doctor asked me about my Whole 30 today. We're "friends" on facebook so she's been following. I told her about yesterday and today. She laughed at my logic yesterday... the first item was disappointing, so I had a second. Second was disappointing, so I moved on to cookies. First cookie was disappointing, so lets try another... Ok, that was disappointing too, and I'm still craving sugar, so let's go to the gas station and get a dew and some more cookies and eat til we feel like total crap. She laughed at me and said she could understand the logic.

She also confessed even she thinks the Whole 30 is hard - her hardest battle being sugar and giving up dairy - more specifically her morning whey protein shake. It was nice to see that my marathon running, RAGNAR relay finishing, Paleo doctor finds the Whole 30 to be tough.

Comment

• OH! and my Baby Girl says to me "Mom, me go potty?" So we went into the bathroom and I set her on the potty. She grabbed some toilet paper and "wiped" and then flushed. She didn't actually go potty, but it was super cute and definitely a cue to seriously consider potty training. For reference, she just turned 2 on the 29th of April. We didn't start potty training our boy until after he turned 3!

Comment

• Holy itchy skin, Batman!

For the last 3 days my skin has been itching like MAD! Like hives all over my body itching. But there are no hives. So my logical thought was that I had been taking Benedryl, so maybe something in the air is bothering my body and I didn't notice it until I stopped taking the Benedryl... but today I got to thinking about it a little more and I think it's the soap I'm using. I recently bought a bar of goat's milk and oatmeal soap (it smelled absolutely delish!). The first thing I noticed about the soap is that it burns my nether regions. Most homemade soap does, but this REALLY does. So my thinking is that there is a high concentration of lye in it and that is irritating and severely drying my skin. She said there was oil in it for moisturizing, but I don't think it's enough, or it's the wrong kind.

So my question is, how do I moisturize with coconut oil? Do I have to warm it so it's soft, or do I just scrape it out of the jar and smear it on?

Today I'm using my Aveno Eczema cream (with oatmeal) b/c I cannot stand this itching. But I want to moisturize with something a bit more natural.

Also, does anyone NOT use soap to cleanse their skin? If it's not necessary to clean our hair, do we really need it for our skin? I read in a chemistry text once that soap is only used to make water "wetter" and doesn't actually "clean". So I can't help but wonder if it's a wasted effort and a waste of money. Thoughts?

Comment

• For coconut oil on skin, I use a spoon or some kind of utensil to get a small amount out and rub it in my hands to liquefy it, then on my body.

I only use soap on my privates and pits now, unless I've come in contact with something really disgusting or oily (bike chains, car grease) and just rubbing won't get it off. I use a loofa to gently rub everywhere, especially behind the ears, but my skin feels quite soft and much less dry without soaping up all the time. I also go through soap much slower than I used to, which is nice for my budget. My legs still get dry when I shave, which would be helped if I used coconut oil, but it gunks up my razor so I don't like doing that often.

I think going soap free is totally worth a shot for at least a week. Eating primal, I'm pretty sure you'd adjust pretty quickly and figure out if you really need it for private areas and pits, or if scrubbing with water is enough. I get stinky if I don't wash there.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• I've noticed I don't have much need for deodorant anymore. I don't get "sweaty" or "sticky" in the pits since switching to primal. Most days I completely forget to use it b/c the only reminder I had before was the sticky feeling I'd get if I didn't.

It's so amazing the little things that you notice when you change your lifestyle. Things I never would have expected to be effected by diet are totally affected.

The only problem with using this soap on my privates is that it BURNS like none other. I think the lady who made this soap used too much lye or something b/c even the stuff I got from the stores with stainless steel eating chemicals in it didn't burn my lady bits. This stuff does. She said it would be good for sensitive skin, but I think it's the exact opposite with the drying aspect and the burning aspect.

Comment

• Are you sure it's not the oatmeal? Oatmeal soaps & lotions make me itchy, though it also gives me heartburn when I eat it. Don't know if you've had that kind of reaction.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• I was way itchy before the lotion and I've never had an issue with this lotion before. But that doesn't mean it isn't also a problem... right now, it seems it's not as my arms are no longer driving me bonkers. Just my hips.

Comment

• Hey are you still doing the whole 30? I was thinking of doing that July before my vacation to Mexico. I want to look dang good before I get mutilated by Mexico drug lords, but hey, doesn't everyone?
                      If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• haha I am still doing Whole 30, despite my detour this weekend. It's difficult but worth the effort. I lost 5 lbs of bloat I didn't know I had the first 4 days.

Comment

• OMG I FEEL LIKE CRAP TODAY!!! Everything between my hips and my ribs is unhappy. Stupid garbage food. Stupid bad choices!

Ugh...

Comment

• I think indeed the soap is made with too much lye, throw it away! It's not supposed to burn (and I know, I make soap).
                            I never use soap in my private parts, was advised not too by the first gynecologist I ever visited because of a candida infection (very funny, first visit to a gynecologist because you have a candida...first question: "what's your name"? Guess what Candy is short for....yup!). So I wash myself there daily with water and only water (twice a day if it's warm and even more often if I have my period). I use my own home made soap every time I wash my hands; only if needed (if I can 'smell' myself) under my armpits and once a week on the rest of my body (and that's just because it's DH washing me ).
                            I also don't feel the need to use deodorant much anymore! I only use it when I go to CrossFit, because I get sweaty then (and don't want other people to smell me ).
                            My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                            My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                            Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                            Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• I only use deodorant when I'm working out too!! How awesome that primal prevents perspiration!

OMG... I am showing so many signs of gluten intolerance today - either that or food poisoning, or even a Giardia infection, but I doubt the latter two... I have had some serious bathroom emergencies today with courtesy flushes to boot. I've never had anything like this happen before, not even when sick as hell with the flu!! I can't describe it any better than that without getting graphic... if you're more curious, look up giardia infection symptoms. My dog had a giardia infection once, and this compares greatly (less the cramping and abdominal pain, fatigue, belching gas with a bad taste, nausea and weight loss... none of that).

ANYHOW, I have decided that since the biggest offender in my diet this weekend was wheat, this has GOT to be caused by that. Sugar has never done this to me. PUFAs have never done this. But wheat, oh, you evil, evil mutant! YOU could do this. Therefore, you are banished. Forever. Like Tinkerbell was in Peter Pan before she saved his life. Except, I don't see you ever saving my life. So, you're banished.

That said... food looks like this today:

B:
                              4 sausage links
                              1/2 cup sauerkraut
                              1 boiled egg

L: (haven't eaten it yet)
                              2 small catfish filets with Chef Paul's blackened seafood magic or whatever it's called
                              sugar snap peas with ghee

D: (racing tonight)
                              Hormel turkey breast
                              Some kind of carry along, snackable veggie

Movement: 1.67 mile walk with Work Friend, coughing with pulled rib muscle, and numerous trips to and from the bathroom. (Why don't we have a smilie of a sick guy?)

Back on the whole 30 bandwagon today. Necessarily so. SAD is definitely not fitting with my system anymore. Which I will accept as being good news.

Comment

• ouchy! I'd throw that soap away - or use it just for shaving your legs. I use coconut oil on my feet everyday - keeps the calouses away! I've heard (somewhere here on the forum) that people use CO in their pits instead of deoderant. I've used it as a soothing "salve" pretty much everywhere on my body. If my hair is feeling a bit dry I put about a TB of it on at night and sleep with it. (Ladies in India do that - they have beautiful, silky hair) And then just shampoo it out the next morning. Except, if I put it on my face, I get breakouts. Its amazing stuff. I wish someone would make it into a lotion - just pure CO - without all that other junk. I might try to figure out how to do that........
                                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion
                                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Working...
                                X