Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paula, you were too quick for my edit... lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Jenn, I look at 3-6 months worth of actual costs/spending for things like groceries, electricity, garbage, clothes,mortgage, taxes (I pay estimated taxes quarterly)etc. I then take the average of each category and use that as my budgeted amount.

If I spend less than budgeted, I subtract the difference from my account and record it elsewhere (usually at the bottom of my check register) and label it as something like utilities, household items, etc. and it cannot be tapped for non-emergency spending or out of category use.

I do the same thing for things that are not monthly expenses-- car insurance, estimated taxes, etc. I deduct the monthly average and record it on the bottom of my register page.

This way I am preparing/prepared for those times when the dog was starving, the kids cut up their shoes or gas jumped 20 cents/a gal in a week. It's hard at first but overtime it becomes routine. I also like to adjust the averages every 4-6 months.

Another thing I do is when budgeted amount is reached then, barring a necessity that can not be put off, spending stops.

Whole 30 financial for me would be staying within budget limits in all areas, no entertainment, no fun money, no dine out, menu/grocery planning list stuck to, a very reasonable amount predetermined for emergencies and a goal to have x amount saved by the end.

Comment

• I preplan for our quarterly life insurance bill. Our taxes are escrowed. Our auto insurance is monthly b/c we cannot yet afford to save up that kind of cash to pay it every 6 months.

The problem we have is not being aware of what we're spending and saying "no spending" doesn't really accomplish anything. We've done this time and time again and we'll do well for a couple of weeks, then we lose our resolve and things get out of hand again.

Our biggest problem is communication. He sometimes doesn't think to ask about how much money he can or can't have, and I am not very forthcoming with that information. I tend to take the blows as they come and "roll with the punches" and adjust as needed - which YNAB says you're supposed to do, but of course, the way we've CURRENTLY been taking care of it isn't working...

It's going to take some adjusting and it's going to take some effort but I think YNAB is going to help us with that. The classes are great. I can easily share them with Brad and he can quickly read through them and see the point in the project. He will also have an app on his phone that will allow him to record transactions as he does them - which will be a tremendous help and prevent those surprise ATM transactions that I find a week after he's done them (b/c the bank's system sometimes takes that long to collect and display said info).

I plan to convert to this system and then share it with him. It'll be on his PC at home so he will be able to view it whenever. YNAB is going to bring some transparency to our financial life, I think, and I believe that will be a good thing (or it could be a bad thing...). It will either open up the lines of communication and get us talking about expenses before we make them (or at least THINK about them first) or it'll cause screaming fights about how little money we really have... but either way, it'll be out in the open and will help us make changes. And I think if he's more involved, he will be more inclined to "follow the rules", and then I will also be more inclined to follow the rules b/c I'll FINALLY get out of the cycle of "corrective financing". We both want the same thing - to be free to do what we want when we want and not have live paycheck to paycheck with our income. It's just going to take some changes and some TEAMWORK to get it done. I think this software will help build that team b/c everything will be transparent and readily available. I'm very excited about it.

Comment

• So, I'm watching a video on how to make the budget work for me, and right now they're TOTALLY talking about me (even though I'm watching a pre-recorded video). They're talking about using multiple accounts to 'store money' so it doesn't get spent and that through using their system, I won't need 10 different checking and savings accounts. The gal says I've been budgeting through accounts. She's right.

Comment

• The best way to know what you're spending is record every penny spent.. Get a latte at Starbuck's, get a receipt, then record receipts every few days. It's very eye-opening. And can be useful.

When I was going through legal issues with the ex, he tried to make it look like he paid every/all expenses for our children. My record keeping and receipts proved him wrong.

I think the Whole 30 would be good for Brad as well as you. He would be involved in the planning and go those days knowing, up front, exactly what his spending parameters are .

You wouldn't have to take the blows or roll with the punches. Nor would you have to rob Peter to pay Paul when overspending sends things off the rails.

I also think ATM transactions should be a no go. IMO, they teach people that since the money comes out of the machine then I must be able to get/spend what I want. Never mind that the money that just popped out was there to pay the electric bill or pay for gas to get to work......

Comment

• YNAB will allow us to record the transactions IMMEDIATELY using an app on our phone and will deduct it from whatever category we assign IMMEDIATELY. I think that'll be better than saving receipts b/c the receipts method has never worked for me in the past. Like ever. Maybe for a day or two, but then we stop doing it or we lose the receipt or never get one or whatever number of excuses... I think we'll have better luck doing it the YNAB way. It takes seconds, literally.
              Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-02-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• AH perfect! A 'wallet' account for Brad who likes to use cash! Perfect! I wondered how that would be accounted for.

ETA: Better yet --> cash as a CATEGORY!
                Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• sounds like you have found a perfect tool that fits your needs! I'll be anxiously awaiting updates on how its working for you. I hope Brad is on board 100%!!!

Daycare issues.............. ugh. So if the daycares I the area do not provide transportation to the schools - what do other parents do?? Are they kiddy-taxi's that provide the service??

So an option would be to put your son in latchkey (so no transportation issues) and have your daughter in pre-school/daycare all day. But that would mean more shuttling both morning and evening. Is there a pre-school/daycare anywhere close to Brady's school??? I'm sure you've already exhausted all these possibilities huh???
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• SIL actually provides transportation for many of the kids in the area who need transportation. She charges $10 a week. But she only has so much room so it's first come first served. She takes my son and another boy to school, then goes back to her house to pick up my daughter and another girl, then goes to another daycare and picks up one girl, then to a second daycare to pick up a couple more kids. I think she can only transport 6 kids at a time as that's all she has room for (since she can't put a child under 12 in the front seat legally). She travels 11 miles a day doing all this running. Might not seem like much, but considering she only lives 2 blocks from the school, that's a lot!

And yes, I've exhausted all those options. Makenna can start at the latchkey after the end of the 2014/2015 school year.

Have a ThirtyOne meeting tonight. Super excited. I will get to meet a bunch of ThirtyOne gals and take a sneak peek at the bags I'll be selling. So excited!! I can't wait.

Comment

• I went to the ThirtyOne website and looked at the cool bags! I hope this works for you!
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• If you desire to buy one, Tomi, please, look me up! They're super cute, some are enormous, and they're very rugged. My favorite is the market fresh tote. It is perfect for keeping my groceries cold and holds 4 gallons of milk!! And the straps are sturdy enough to CARRY all 4 of those gallons of milk in one trip too.

There are so many bags I want and can't afford to buy. Seemed logical to sell them since I love them so much.

Remember how I said I was considering adding a second company to diversify once I get my 31 business up and running? Well, i totally found it! I'll disclose it later but I suspect there are a couple of girls here that'll be interested. It fits the whole paleo lifestyle. But for now, it's a secret. This is something I have NOT seen in our area - and in fact, only ONE of my 400 some facebook friends likes the company's page so that tells me the market is bursting with opportunity. And it's easy to sell it online - in fact, it will literally sell itself. And it's cheap (in regards to the cost of most products sold in home based parties). I am so freaking excited about it!! It won't be a huge money maker - this one is more for fun b/c I've never seen it before. Ok, that's all about that for now...

I went to my first ThirtyOne meeting last night and all the consultants were given the largest of the bags for free. I totally felt left out b/c that's one of the bags I have been wanting to buy for forever. The director convinced me to wait until the 16th to buy in so I get the new bag prints (which have not been announced to the public yet - they'll be announced April 7th). I'll host my party in May. I'd prefer to do it in April b/c the hostess rewards is better (love that bag and need a new gym bag anyway), but April probably won't work for various reasons. Did I mention yet that I've confirmed my first party hostess already? She's agreed to hold a party with me as soon as I get my stuff. I'm so stoked! That one will take place in April, so I'll be earning commission already this month!!

ANYHOW... how bout some health discussion... although I guess all of that above could be related to my mental health, right?

My gut is unhappy today. Has been for a couple of days. I'm taking the probiotic to help regulate things, but not much is happening. Just a lot of bloat and gurgling and such.

I exercised the 80% rule yesterday. Had some peanut m&m's, a few starbursts, and a chocolate truffle fun size candy bar thing that sucked (realized it contained wheat and soy and all those other crappy things after I ate it). Weight is 181. Down 7 lbs since March 5th.

Brady: his medication... I'm not sure. He seems to be more argumentative and more aggressive on it. One of the consultants at the party showed me some text messages between she and her husband where her son had told her husband Brady had hurt him at school that day. I guess Brady pushed him down at recess. Brady says it was an accident, but I question that. I most certainly will not tolerate my son becoming a bully. Unfortunately, the school did not contact her or me regarding the incident and they don't mention him being violent at all otherwise, so I don't know what's happening. We talk to him constantly about bullying and now it's not acceptable or appropriate and will not be tolerated and what can happen when you bully someone in school (and in life). The recent school shooting incident in NM (was it NM or AZ? I can't remember) was a teaching opportunity for us. Obviously, I don't want my kid to be a bully - who does - but if I don't know it's happening, how can I stop it other than talking to him about the dangers.

The insurance company felt it was necessary to warn me about someone with ADHD taking Concerta so I contacted his doctor who says that's the typical medication provided for children with ADHD so she isn't sure what the warning was all about. She said I can stop giving it to him if I'm concerned. I'm concerned, but Brad's not... Trouble is, he's talking to other parents who medicate their children and they keep telling him we should wait it out, not discontinue, things will get better, blah blah blah, and when I disagree, he just claims that it's b/c I don't want him on medication at all... well of course I don't, but that's not the reason behind my disagreement, so I have just chosen to keep quiet about it. Dr. Ashley says she typically gives an ADHD med a month to work before she changes it, so I guess we'll wait...

So anyhow... that's that I suppose. I'm going to check out everyone else's journals now.

Comment

• I sent my husband the link to YNAB. Hoping he will do it with me. Otherwise there is no point.

My eldest has been on Concerta since 9th grade. He only takes a 36mg dose which is not enough for his size and age, but he refuses to up it. He can feel the difference when he doesn't take it. Mostly feels zoned out. He has trouble eating enough, because it hurts his stomach and steals his appetite. On weekends, he takes it a little later in order to get a good breakfast in.
                          Primal since 9/24/2010
                          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Brady takes 18 mg right now. Brady has not mentioned any pain with taking it and willingly takes it every day.

Comment

• Regarding YNAB - check out the free trial and listen in on some of the classes (they give away a free copy at the end of the class to one lucky SOB). I've sat through three classes - two of them live - and am very encouraged and optimisitic. Brad seems to be on board - mostly, his role will be tracking any spending he does with anything that is not his fun money (he gets $25 a week to blow however he wants to blow it). You might also sign up for the free 9 day email class deal. One email a day that touches on one aspect of the software/plan. It's a relaxed pace instruction that I think Brad will do well with. Maybe Hubby will be comfortable with that as well? Today it talked about the importance of "fun money", no matter how large or small the amount. It creates a relaxed feeling and helps people to not stress about spending money.

Comment

• Gut is very not happy today... not sure I want to attempt to run. It will likely help in the end, but will be very unpleasant and uncomfortable for me (and anyone around me, I'm sure). And it's too windy to run outside - I'll be running in place!

Comment

Working...
                                X