No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m amazed how many of those same people have time to sit there and do the absolutely value-less activity of orchestrating some elaborate schedule of timing bills to paychecks. Are you guilty of building out a separate spreadsheet, calendar, or ledger just to track it all?
    This is what I do with my budget. I have a spreadsheet with our paydates. For each paydate, I have specific bills that will be paid - or money set aside for (pretty much just written out of our check register). I thought this was budgeting... Apparently, it's not.

*sigh* I have so much work to do... I really really REALLY wish this was available online as opposed to downloaded as standalone software... *le sigh*
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Jenn, how and when do you track your bills and spending? When you decide to have things like pizza do you check to make sure you have funds in the "dine out" category to cover the cost.? Why does a believed "extra" like the $100 you thought you had automatically get put in the "available to spend on a whim" category?

Have you considered doing a Whole30 type month in regards to spending? Spending that is not preplanned before the month, is over each category's set limit, etc. can not take place.

Also any dollars not spent in each category, is at the end of the month, set aside for an emergency fund that can only be used for a real emergency. With this I mean, if you budgeted $150 for electricity but it's only $135 the $15 goes into the emergency fund.

What helped me was to have a tangible future goal (mine was a down payment for a house we wanted). Working to acheive that goal I set a strict budget, recorded every penny I spent, and stuck to it. Using my strategy I(I should say we as I was with my then husband who always left money issues to me)saved $25,000 and we moved to our new home soon after that.

I still track everything I spend.

Comment

• I had already put money into our savings... I had already paid all our bills. That money was legitimately extra "unnamed" money. I knew they were planning to have pizza that night and that Brad and I were going out the next night. So, I guess technically I had actually given that money a name... "dinner money" it became. I just didn't realize at the time that the money was not actually there b/c I didn't realize I'd written the wrong amount in the checkbook for Brad's check.

B/c of my spreadsheet, I knew the extra money was going to be there (b/c I also wrote that wrong number there).

The true emergency that resulted in us pulling from savings was the mistake I made in writing down the value of his check. It was needed to bring our check book back to zero.

I balance our check book at least 4x per week, I pay bills every Thursday (I get paid on Thursdays, Brad on Fridays, on alternating weeks - Thursday works for writing out bills b/c I have to pay daycare first thing Friday morning) - I knew what Brad's check was going to be, I just wrote it down wrong. Our checks very rarely change in value as we're both salaried employees, but he gets some overtime occasionally so his can change periodically. This keeps it simple, except I have to adjust every two weeks for his check if he's gotten overtime.

we're also still adjusting the budget some b/c we switched our health insurance from his employer to mine, so my check value changed (throwing off our budget) and his changed. Because he rarely works only 80 hours, I don't know what his 80 hour check amount is yet. He usually takes his overtime for something (truck repairs, stuff for the race car, whatever).

I will download the trial to this software on the computer at home later to see if it's something I like. I'm not sure about the whole not doing my bills at work thing (it was uninterrupted time to get it done without a kid bugging me lol) and using Brad's computer is often less than ideal (it'll dictate when I am able to do bills b/c someone maybe using it, etc). But it sounds interesting and worth a shot.

Comment

• I signed up for the 9 days of email "class" offered at YNAB. I will be forwarding each "class" to Brad with the requirement that he also read it. When we were trying to do Dave Ramsey's get out of debt thing, I was the only one who read the materials and the only one working the plan. He still pulls his $125 of cash each week ($100 for gas between his two vehicles - truck and work car, and his $25 allowance), but he's guilty of using the debit card too much too. I never get my $25 allowance b/c I have to donate it back to our checking account each week to make ends meet b/c he/I/both of us use the debit card during the weekend or go over on a budget or something.

In reviewing the YNAB software, I think it looks really cool and will be VERY handy in helping us get on track... and having it at home will help us keep the communication lines open regarding money - presently the spreadsheet we use is on my work computer and he rarely ever sees it - and never asks to see it. He just goes on blind faith that we have money until the debit card tells us we don't.

It's time to take control. Thank you Isabel for ignoring my "don't give me advice" stuff. If nothing else, your suggestion gave me the drive to try again with the budget.

Comment

• Yipes. Money stresses are the worst stresses. Funny how something so literally meaningless is such an important focal point of modern life that I think when I'm really frustrated at work, at least I have a (decent if not living without the extra stipends given to married soldiers) paying job and I love within my means. I still overdo it on the little things, though not drinking soda or Starbucks (often) helps, I buy little expendable things I don't need like tiny perfumes (I love smelly things!) or BOOOOKS (lie, that's a need) or cheese (ALSO A NEED). I'm thankful for it now because I know when I go I college that'll have to stop.

Yuk. Good that you have a plan!!

Comment

• So, I'm trying to navigate my way through YNAB. Seems pretty easy, but it is screwing with my projection tendencies - i.e. you CAN'T project with this program and if I DO, it'll be exactly the same as using my spreadsheet... so, I have to rethink how I'll do this. A suggestion given to me from the Facebook page was to break my categories into weeks rather than actual categories. So Week 1 category would include my mortgage, car insurance, credit card payment, student loans, etc. Week 2 would include my truck payment, another credit card, etc. So I'll still have my schedule in tact and won't have to figure out whether or not I'm going to get things paid on their due dates... it would be NICE if I could change my due dates to be the 28th of every month... then I could budget to my heart's content all month long and pay everything at once.

I like the idea of how this works and will definitely implement it. I also love how they offer so many training courses on how to use the software and the ideals. I like the idea of spending per categories as opposed to bank balance. That's our problem. I have to move money to different accounts all the time in order to not accidentally spend it. And I love that it's got a "real time" app, so when I get gas I can add that transaction so it pulls from the budget and makes register entry for the gas purchase.

I'm really excited about this. I hope I can get it set up and operational very soon. And I hope Brad reads the emails I'm sending him about it (the 9 day training course) so that he's aware of how it works and how it can help us if we follow the rules. This has me hopeful. I am excited that this serves as my check register AND my budget in one place. It's my spreadsheet and my check register... I like the idea of having a "pile of money waiting for the bills to come in" rather than a "pile of bills waiting for the money to come in".

The TRICK will be budgeting things where it actually NEEDS to go and sticking to it. I'm tired of negative balances. I'm tired of performing creative financing every week.

Seriously guys... I want to go home and work on my budget. lol

Comment

• I'm listening, currently, to a recorded webinar on Getting Started with YNAB. At 11, I am registered to participate in a class called "Making your Budget Work". Tonight at 9:30 is a class on Credit Cards and how to monitor credit cards using YNAB. There are a TON of classes I can take to learn and utilize this software. That makes me happy b/c I don't have to stumble through and MAYBE figure out how it all works.

I look forward to the day when I don't have to have my categories broken up by paycheck and can break them up by category b/c I won't be worrying about my balance anymore.

Isabel, if I could, I would HUG you so hard right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  maybe I could even look at Malecuela or whatever it is... lol Tomi, help me out here... how's it spelled?

I only know of one person in my area who sells it and she's pretty hush about it, so maybe she's not selling anymore...
                  Melaleuca. Great products - but can be a little spendy. There is Zero investment involved in "selling" it. You're more like just enticing people to sign on for membership - from there you work only as a helper/consultant should they have questions - but there is also an excellent on-line chat help on the website. The income potential is great if you find people who are willing to commit to the monthly minimum required purchases. It goes on a point system -- each product having its own set purchase points. 35 points a month are required to maintain your membership. It takes on average $60 of spending to meet that 35 point mark. It is like any MLM company. You sign up under another consultant and then you build your business by getting others signed up under you.

Hope this helps.
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I looked at the YNAB site. What are the differences from Dave Ramsey? Why do you think it would work better?
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• So, I wasn't going to say anything about who was pregnant b/c she asked me to keep it quiet for a while (likely til they see a heartbeat), but I have a complaint and I need to air it or it'll get ugly.

SIL is the one who is pregnant. About 6 weeks or so. Her first appointment is April 17th. That's a Thursday. OBVIOUSLY, the clinic won't work around her work schedule for the appointments, so her appointments will have to happen during the day. She told us yesterday she's closed on April 17th b/c of her appointment being in the middle of the day... ok... so why can't MIL watch the kids like she's paid to do? Why does the daycare have to be closed? By closing the daycare, we have no sitter. The last time SIL closed the daycare, MIL took our kids to school and kept them after. So Brad asked if she could do this again... no she made plans for that day... seriously? So now I have to take the day off of work.

This was my BIGGEST concern when we decided to move Makenna to SIL's daycare - what if you're sick? what if you can't watch the kids for whatever reason? Her answer was "Mom". That was why she and MIL were doing this together, so that if someone was sick or had an appointment or whatever, we still had someone to watch our kids.

Apparently her appointment is at like lunch time or something - which should make NO difference b/c most of the kids will be in school (they have 5 non-school kids). MIL can handle 5 kids - especially since they'll be freaking NAPPING during that time.

What the actual F*CK?? Maybe this shouldn't make me as angry as it does, but it does. Right now, given this and all the other little grievances I have with SIL's daycare, the ONLY thing keeping me there is the transportation to and from school. Makenna needs a ride to school - there's no one to provide that for her. Brady can go to Latchkey which will walk him to school and pick him up after. But there is no such service for preschool if she's at a different daycare. I'd take her back to the Wilton Daycare in a heartbeat if I knew she'd have a ride to and from school.

I told Brad that I will have a real problem with this if it continues through the pregnancy b/c I don't have that kind of leave to burn up and it's not right... I could understand if she was the ONLY care provider in the house, but she's not. There are two.

So, I guess I get to look forward to taking 12 days off of work in the next 9 months since MIL is apparently incapable of watching kids without SIL present... (where's the smiley with the red face and smoke billowing off his head? That's me right now).

Smoking-Mad-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000668-large.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                        I looked at the YNAB site. What are the differences from Dave Ramsey? Why do you think it would work better?
                        I think it'll work well in CONJUNCTION with Dave Ramsey. I didn't like Dave's software - but that could be b/c I wasn't using it right. I've learned the right way to use such softwares through the YNAB training class I just watched. I could see DR's stuff working just as well after watching that video. YNAB only focuses on budgeting, nothing else. DR discusses budgeting, debt snowball, etc. The benefit I see to YNAB over DR (at least at first) is that YNAB doesn't focus on debt reduction, it doesn't tell you to sell all your stuff. It doesn't tell you to completely change your entire lifestyle. It's JUST budgeting. I don't think DR goes far enough into budgeting as the foundation to debt payoff, whereas YNAB stresses that without a functional budget that WORKS, you'll never get to where you want to be financially. They bash financial gurus, but I didn't pick up any DR bashing, really. They were more into bashing people who stress 401ks and mutual funds and stuff like that - saving for the future when you have no money to do so.

I'm still a baby with YNAB - only had the software since last night and only played with it for a couple of hours, so I'm not sure of all the benefits yet. They give a 34 day free trial if you want to check it out.

Comment

• I can totally understand you're anger over this one!!! That's just not right! If you're going to provide a day care service you have to be reliable and available! a doctors appointment mid-day should not require a shut down for the entire day. She should have back up people who are available to fill in during those times when she is required to be away from home. Its wrong that you are required to pay for every day - even if your kid is sick and won't be there - but its okay for her to shut down an entire day just because she has an appointment.

Advice............. find a different day car. Likely her being pg is going to cause many more "days off" in the means of appointments, morning sickness, end of pregnancy fatigue........... then what happens when baby is born? Three months maternity leave? Then what?

Ugh............ I feel horrible for you! I was fortunate in that I stayed home and never had to think about child care for my son. I babysat 2 kids over a 4 year period. Granted - my being home meant we sacrificed A LOT financially. I mean............ we couldn't even afford to get burgers and fries once a month. Money was very tight!! There is benefits and pitfalls on both sides of the working mom debate thing........... but - that has nothing to do with you (rabbit trail, sorry)............

I would strongly advise you to find a more reliable daycare. On the plus side of that.......... a larger daycare is going to be more equipped to deal with kids with dietary considerations. Just might be a good way to help Brady get off the meds ???

As for budget............ I think Marcadav had a really good suggestion. Whole30 budgeting principles!!! You rock the food whole30 ............ you should see if you could adapt the same principles to your spending. But then, Brad needs to be on board with that too. Which is a road block if he's not willing.

As for debit cards............ ugh!!! the worse tool ever invented!!! I stopped using mine years ago. I cut it up and have never asked for a replacement. When I go to the bank they sometimes ask if I have a debit card for ID --- I tell them I don't carry it with me.
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Thanks Jenn. I did some more reading on YNAB. Good stuff.

Daycare is one of the most stressful things about having kids. Now that my youngest is on the bus with his older brother, It is a new world.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010
                            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• I would be game for finding a new daycare... however, NO other daycare in town offers transportation to and from the school. Not a single one. The daycare we were at previously only provided transportation to the Christian preschool b/c the daycare itself did not teach Christian principles, and the state would reimburse them for the mileage. They will not transport to the public school b/c they offer similar education in their preschool program and the state does not reimburse that. We hired a gal for $25 a week to transport Brady and that was a giant pain in the ass.

Much to Brad's disapproval, I texted SIL to see if this was going to be a common thing or if she was going to work it out so that the daycare could stay open for future appointments. She said she couldn't guarantee that and that I should look for a backup - then recommended the previous daycare as a drop in option - again, that'd be great if they provided transportation... I said that I thought the whole point in having two providers in the home meant there'd be less closing if she had appointments and what not. She said closings are a risk we have to plan for in home daycares... She then said MIL was planning to watch our two kids while she was on maternity leave. Shit I hadn't even thought about maternity leave!

The days she closes for appointments will be unpaid days. I wonder if MIL is going to require us to pay her to watch our kids while SIL is on maternity or if she's going to do it as a family favor... I honestly can't wait until Makenna is done with preschool so we can put them both in Latchkey and end all this nonsense. Using SIL's daycare has been more of a headache than I think it's worth...

RE: Financial Whole30 - that's the plan EVERY month... only preplanned purchases, nothing we can't afford... never seems to work b/c it's those months that the dogs eat more food than usual or the cat craps more than usual and I have to spring for extras there, or the kids tear up their shoes and I have to replace them. Or for some reason, we burn more gas than usual. Finances require flexibility, not Whole30. This is where I think YNAB will help us.
                              Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-02-2014, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• I think it means only spending what must be spent. No entertainment or discretionary money.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

Working...
                                X