No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I heard "Frozen" on the regular radio (a "mix" station) the other day! So surprising. That movie has overtaken all records of previous animated films at this point, I think.

I'm glad you liked Divergent, I kind of thought you would.

It sounds like you're on track with your weight loss, even with the divergence (ahah) over the weekend.
    Depression Lies

Comment

• Frozen just over grossed Toy Story this weekend. Must have been the copy I bought that did it. It's not your typical Disney story. It's not a love story like most of them - although there is a love story involved. It's like Disney hired a new writer and she brought in some great new ideas b/c this one is completely different than any other Disney classic I've watched. I could elaborate, but I don't want to risk ruining it for those who haven't watched it.

Divergent... mmm mmm mmmm Theo James. Man, he was scrumptious in the whole movie. A friend of mine complained about teenage angst... I didn't think they went over the top with it - I felt it was appropriate given the situations at hand. Brad was shocked to learn the characters were supposed to be 16 and 18... I think anyone who hasn't read the books would be just as shocked. But, yeah... Theo James... he was pretty hot... dark, secretive, aggressive. Masculine, manly. Being totally gorgeous helped too. I'd take him home.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• There are other Disney movies that don't have those typical love stories. Lilo & Stitch is one. I watched it last week and nearly cried, it's such a sweet movie. But Frozen really brought the limelight to what could potentially be a new era of Disney princess movies. Brave should have done that (the princess doesn't end up with anybody at the end), but it didn't fit the "princess" mold. Frozen filled that mold and then twisted it. Baby steps for Disney feminism? haha

I was so surprised by Theo James' voice! Super deep. Yeah, he's about 10 yrs too old for his character, but that's Hollywood for you. I thought it was supposed to be 18 and 22 or something, 16 and 18 is pretty unbelievable.

Hulky and I had fun talking about the factions and stuff. He was immediately like, "That looks like SO much fun!" (re: jumping on and off the trains, I had to explain to him that the only place the trains stop is at the end of the line and only Dauntless uses them). I don't know if Dauntless would be the best fit for me, but it's definitely what I would pick now and definitely what I would have picked at 16/18.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• I probably would have picked Dauntless then as well... now though? I would probably pick something like Amity or Erudite now (but I would bail on Erudite when it started it's crap). Candor is too blunt. Abnegation is too simple (but that is also very appealing) and Dauntless is, I don't know, risky? It looks fun but heights are not my favorite thing. It reminded me very much of basic training with all the "face your fears" stuff. I don't know... I guess Dauntless would still be a good place. Must make me Divergent since I can't pick one. Of all of them, Amity is probably my favorite - calm, peaceful, gardening (but it's probably all GMO shit lol), sunlight.

Theo James's voice... *swoon* I love a deep voice!

I have not seen Lilo & Stitch, but since it's not a princess movie, I probably wouldn't have even considered it's storyline in comparison to Frozen, et al. I haven't seen Brave yet either... or Planes... or Turbo... so many Disney movies have come out recently. It's hard to keep up.

Comment

• Oh I'm absolutely Divergent, but I think that's kind of the point. That nobody really fits into one thing, they just try to jam themselves into the mold to appeal to society.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• ((OMG THIS NEW APP BLUH))

I loved stitch and brave and basically I am a huge Disney kid at heart. Frozen is HUGE in Korea. Like our KATUSAs are playing the song at work huge. (KATUSAs are male!) I was impressed by frozen because I not only yelled at my computer multiple times the first time I saw it (for all of the above mentioned reasons), I watched it again the next day. And it's pretty and the music is beautiful.

There was a TED talk I saw about the movies we watch with our children comparing wizard of oz and starwars. He said the girls are being shown strong leaders who learn how to unite the strengths of their companions while boys are being show kill the bad guy and claim the princess. There's more to it than that of course, but it definitely worth a watch if you can find it. It's on YouTube somewhere...

Comment

• That's an interesting observation RR. I hadn't even noticed that, but they're right. No wonder our society is so screwed up - one sex is fighting a battle and the other is trying to create teamwork...

I'm going to vent about this here b/c I don't have anywhere else to do it... I screwed up our checking account somehow. I don't know if I screwed up the math somewhere or if it was just typical overspending, but it's messed up... I had to pull everything out of our meager savings account to cover it and I don't know when/how I'll be able to put it back. We're 13 weeks into the year and are supposed to have $640 in savings right now... but b/c I keep screwing up or something keeps coming up, we have literally, zero dollars in that savings account. What the actual f*ck... I had planned on doing that 52 Week Savings thing backwards this year - with the bigger amounts at the beginning of the year to lessen the burden come Christmas time, but I think I'll need to go back to doing it from the small end so I can at least get caught up for the year. Then I'll only have to replace $91 to get caught back up... It's just frustrating to know we've blown through over $600 in savings... (ETA: I just adjusted the budget to place the smaller figures in savings first and it'll relieve some pressure. Only like $20 a week worth of pressure, but still, it helps.)

I had a situation where somehow I ended up over the limit on my credit card which jacked my payment way up - like three times the normal amount... so I paid what I could at the time, but they started calling me. I scheduled the payment to be withdrawn today, but they kept calling me. I finally had to flip out on them to get them to stop. Since I'd make the arragements to make the payment, them calling me everyday demanding money is harrassment. The calls stopped. Apparently their collections department can't *SEE* pending payments or some shit... whatever.

For some reason, Brad's credit card bumped our credit limit from 10,000 to 13,000. Why? That's stupid...

I can't wait til I have the money set aside to buy into ThirtyOne so I can start earning a bit of money to help us get back on track. I don't know where things went array, but it's really frustrating to never feel like we're getting a grip on it. I could call Veridian and see if they'll refinance my loan (the one we tossed a huge pot of money at after taxes came back) to lower that payment so maybe we can feel a little less pressure, but I really want that loan gone, so I don't really want to do that. I probably just need to swallow my pride and call the credit card companies and BEG for a lower interest rate to help ease the pain. But, I don't think that'll change our payment amounts, actually, so that might be a pointless endeavor.

We need fewer expenses. It looks like things will lighten up a LOT come September... *sigh* What the hell... I don't understand that... so hopefully it's not a mistake in the spreadsheet... But racing ends then too, so maybe that extra money each week just looks good on paper... who knows.

I just have to find a way for us to stick to the budget. I think math errors do occur, but for the most part, we just overspend. That's all there is to it. I just want to get to where we're treading water rather than falling below the surface occasionally and gasping for air. I want us to get to a point where we can have a tithe account! I want to be able to save for retirement. I hate not being able to do what we want to do, when we want to do it.

So, hopefully in a week or so, I can correct this and buy into 31. Do I think 31 will be the answer to all our problems? No. But I do think it'll help bring in a little bit of extra cash that we can put toward these expenses to lighten the load a bit. I think of it as a second job.

But, even so, unless things change, things will always remain the same, so we need to get better at sticking to our budget and eliminating the stupid frivolous spending we do. Those quick debit card swipes that add up very quickly. And I'm probably the worst offender with that... We need to go back to a cash only system. I sincerely think that'll be best...

Anyhow, TL;DR... if you're still here, thanks for letting me vent. I'm not looking for advice. I know what we need to do to correct this... I just needed to hash it out and get it off my chest a bit. It was weighing pretty heavily.
                Last edited by jenn26point2; 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM.

Comment

• Ugh, I'm sorry about the money woes. Obsessive tracking is the only thing that taught me not to swipe my card indiscriminately. I stopped any unnecessary spending for a few months, made NO excuses for any purchases that weren't absolutely essential, and it sucked and I hated it, but I don't have as hard of a time now. I wonder if it would help if you could identify a certain kind of purchase that you tend to spend too much on, or what little things are adding up to create the overspending.
                  Depression Lies

Comment

• Well, this week, I had an error in the check book. For some reason, when I entered Brad's check, I entered it at $100 more than it really was even though he handed me the paystub... I have no idea where I got the figure I entered, but it created the snafu.

With this info in hand, we were sitting a little prettier than usual, so when we went out to eat this weekend, we didn't use our weekly "allowance" to pay for it. We swiped the debit card b/c, well, there was an extra $100 in there... That was mistake number 2.

Then I went a bit over on my grocery budget, but again, there was extra money, so we would have been ok.

And we ordered pizza Friday evening with some friends. The friends paid half, but that money never went back to checking - and I'm not sure what Brad spent it on.

Then there are little odds and ends charges - contact solution, a drink at a gas station, etc, etc, etc. Little mindless purchases mixed in with some neccessities... I just wasn't watching it b/c I thought we had extra (there was a surplus after bills, and then that $100 entry error).

Our checking account is good now, at the expense of the savings account - sadly. I'll get it corrected in the end, but it's frustrating. So glad April is an "extra paycheck" month.

Comment

• A little bit about my plans with ThirtyOne. I plan to buy in this month. The new summer bags will be included in my kit. I find out Thursday what is in the kit (I will be going to my first ThirtyOne meeting and I'm super excited). I don't know if I'll be able to buy in on Thursday or not (I think I was told the kits go on sale on the 15th).

My plan is to do two parties a month - with my first party being held at my house with me as the hostess and the consultant. I'll get the hostess rewards (which will help boost my product display b/c I'll get bags at a discount that I can take from party to party) and I'll get the commission. I will get paid 25% commission. So, if I sell $400 in bag, I'll get $100 in commission. It is easy to have a large sale on a party b/c some of the really popular bags are over $50, plus there's personalization and what not.

I have two friends who are currently trying to "kick off" their own little consulting business (one is doing Scentsy and one is doing Mary Kay). Both have shown interest in my party and helping me get started (and coincidentally, both businesses have a use for bags ).

By having two parties a month, I could (theoretically) bring in an extra $600 - that's if both parties are worth $1,200... I don't expect that much at all. I am hoping for a $300 a month boost in our income, monthly between the two parties (that's $150 in commission per party). At the very least, that'll pay for my car. $300 a month will be so helpful. I will sock every dollar of it to debt.

My loan at Veridian is below $3,000 now. 10 more payments, including this month's, and it'll be paid off. So, $300 a month could go a long way in getting that paid off in half the time.

I am hopeful and excited about this opportunity. If it works out, I might even expand. Someone told me she's been to Scentsy/ThirtyOne combo parties where one consultant and hostess held two parties at once - that increases the likelihood of a sale, which obviously increases the commission. But THAT is a LLOOONNNGGG way down the road... I gotta be sure I can hack the whole ThirtyOne thing first.

Right now, I'm thinking about doing parties on Thursdays and Saturdays. I will add more days if necessary, but during race season, Fridays are off limits. And if we make plans to go camping or something, I'll not schedule parties for those weekends. I may be swayed to do Sunday parties as well. A party only lasts 2 hours, so it's not like I can't fit that in on Sundays since I'm currently spending about 2 hours every Sunday running... I won't be running by that point, so I can just replace running with parties.

And if I'm only doing 2 parties a month, it won't be too much of a burden on the family.

I can see potential with this, and even if it doesn't pan out in the long run, it's a small investment for product I'd get to keep (and could sell on eBay to get my money back). Aside from stuffing envelopes from home at night, I can't think of another option that'll help me bring in more money to help get us back afloat and more comfortable. And Amy, the gal I'm talking to about it - I'll be going in with her as my supervisor - is doing it for the same reason - to supplement their income to help pay off debts. It's amazing to me how many of us are in debt up to our eyeballs - they really should teach something about home econonics (that is actually economics and not just sewing and cooking) in school... There again, parents should teach something too - mine didn't.

Comment

• maybe I could even look at Malecuela or whatever it is... lol Tomi, help me out here... how's it spelled?

I only know of one person in my area who sells it and she's pretty hush about it, so maybe she's not selling anymore...

Comment

• I know you didn't ask for advice but I would like to share my experience. I'm a math geek and I so love my excel spreadsheets. So of course I have a budget and projections until 2018. Anyway, I always had trouble reconciling the budget with real life. So I decided to try something out like QuickBooks or something. That started me on my search and I came across YNAB - You Need A Budget. Oh and I'm in no way affiliated with them. Anyway, they offer a one month free for using the software and good tutorials on their website. Its like $60 or something, I don't remember.

Anyway, this is a budgeting tool that helps you see your saving buckets. It also helps taking you out of the paycheck to paycheck cycle if you follow the "rules". It's hard to explain, but I'm sure you can research it if you are interested.

This tool helped me see where my money was going and how much I was actually saving monthly. At first it was ugly... Very ugly. I then started working on it and it has helped. I still keep my complicated spreadsheets because I'm a nerd. They are awesome for projections. Oh, the software downloads info from bank or credit card company to make it easier. Just make sure to update every few days or so.

Ignore comment if not useful since you didn't want advice.

Comment

• I have looked at YNAB... I'm also a nerd and have spreadsheets on top of spreadsheets. lol The one I'm currently working on goes out til December simply b/c I haven't had time to expand it yet, but the previous version went thru the end of 2018 as well, showing the payoff of all our debts. I also have a spreadsheet that shows me when things will be paid off based on payment amount and interest, blah blah blah.

I have been following Dave Ramsey for the most part - not 100%, but probably about... eh, currently, not at all, actually. Which makes me sad. The trouble is that neither of us are willing to sell any more assets - we've sold what we're willing to part with, so the Dave Plan isn't in full effect b/c of that. The rest of his principles I work hard at - especially the snowball.

Trouble is, my husband is not a reader and hasn't read any of his books, so he doesn't fully agree with the method (wants to pay off high interest first b/c that'll save us money in the long run, and doesn't understand that Dave's plan isn't about saving money, but about getting out of debt as quickly as possible - which paying off high interest first doesn't allow).

I will go to YNAB this afternoon and look again. it sounds like it might be a useful tool (I still get the periodic emails - just don't read them).

Thank you for your suggestion. You brought that option back to the forefront of my mind.

ETA: shoot... it's not web based. I was hoping it was web based so I could work on it at work... I can't download anything on my computer at work.

Comment

• Me_Isabel... how is the app? Can you do most everything from the app? Like I said, I can't download any software to my work computer (I work for the federal government and they frown upon that), and we have one PC at home (it's my husband's). I typically do my budgeting and bill paying at work (hehehehehe don't tell anyone), so being able to access the info quickly is important.

GAH, why couldn't it be web-based??

Comment

• without rule four:

John lives paycheck to paycheck. He knows the date of his next paycheck well in advance, and has a stack of bills he’s timing to go out as soon as the paycheck hits his account. He times bills to paychecks every pay period. This is stressful: Juggling due dates, cash flow, and other unexpected expenses (rule two!). He’s habitually stressed.
                                ^^^^this^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X