No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really angered one of my oblique muscles while at the gym today. I didn't notice it while I was actually working out, but noticed it as soon as I started to run back from the gym to the office (1/2 mile). I suspect the planks are to blame... I really hope it's not actually injured and is instead just upset, and that it gets over it by tomorrow so I can run. This worries me with only 16 days left before the marathon.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Guess what... my meeting is actually NEXT week... I'm a giant dummy. lol

So, now my diary looks PERFECT for PHD.

Carbs: 149
      Fat: 111
      Protein: 105
      Calories: 1921

So far, I have had zero inclination to "snack" and I had enough sweet potato at lunch that I didn't feel the need for a sweet ending (usually a piece of fruit or something). This is promising. Maybe someday I'll be able to go back to IF?

Comment

• I am now easily able to do the recommended 16 hr IF without even thinking about it.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Man my oblique hurts! It feels a little more than "well worked"... possibly just strained. In any event, I won't be running today. I will instead go to the gym and try to stretch the muscles of my abs out a bit. I was going to go see Dr. Lake but it turns out she's in Chicago teaching this weekend, so no Princess of Pain treatment today... guess I'll attempt yoga to see if I can find relief by stretching it out. Not sure if I'll be able to run this weekend or not. Maybe if I keep on the regimen of ibuprofen, heat and rest, I'll be better by Sunday.

I just thought about running in Muscatine and now my heart is going all "pitter patter" on me - it's itchin' to go! But that's silly b/c I won't be in Muscatine on Sunday... but on the flip side, it's supposed to be SIXTYFIVE EFFING DEGREES on Sunday, so I am freaking PUMPED!

Day2 of PHD (with W30 rules) and I am feeling pretty good. I feel full and totally not hungry. My BRAIN wants to eat - munch - but I am legitimately not hungry. I feel more energetic already too... like I can't wait til noon gets here so I can go to the gym (which causes a crushing heart break b/c I'm only doing yoga and not running or lifting...)

Which brings me to my next point... my workout yesterday consisted of OHP (3x10x45#), deadlifts (3x10x85#), squats (3x10x85#) and planks (3x45s). It was nothing more than I typically had been doing, honestly. It intrigues me that I got injured doing that same workout I'd been doing every T/TH for 3 weeks. Why? Makes no sense to me... but given the "injury" and given my upcoming events, I will be stepping it back. Probably no planks AT ALL til I'm past the marathon... and I'll probably reduce the squat weight as well. Reduce it to what? I don't know... but I think it'd be wise to reduce.

Day 4 for Brady on meds... he has gotten "ready to learn" each day (except Monday - I can't remember what he got on Monday), but according to his teacher, the first two days were the best, the third was a slip back toward poorer behaviors. Last night was TERRIBLE! OMG the kid was so rotten! Then this morning he was SO argumentative and defiant! I wanted to club him like a baby seal - out of pure anger, not for sport! So, I'm not sure this dosage is right for him. Appetite is unaffected. Last night he asked for two helpings of pork chops and mashed potatoes - which NEVER happens - he usually wants more potatoes but refuses the pork chops. And he's still sleeping well enough.

Ah, that reminds me... not sure what happened last night, but he crapped himself in his sleep last night (da fuq???) so I got to clean him up... tossed the undies b/c it was not a favorable bowel movement... I was stirred out of sleep at 11:30 and noticed the bathroom light was on. I went to shut it off and noticed his bedroom light was on too, but he was in bed, asleep. So I shut everything off and covered him up, then went back to bed. Then about midnight I was stirred again. I noticed the bathroom light was on again and went to shut it off (this is typical of him - he's a sleepwalker and will leave lights on behind him after using the bathroom). As I approached the bathroom, he walked out of his bedroom with fresh underwear and told me what happened. I can't help but wonder what's going on with him digestively... he has days where things are great (#2 is what he calls it) and when things are poor (#3 is what he calls this - like a #2, but 'badder'). Someone with our dietary education can connect the dots --> Digestive issues + Behavior issues = the need to improve the quality of food... BUT... yeah... we've already talked that to death. I think I will continue to monitor this... and hope to hell he never craps in his sleep again... b/c that was just not cool.

This weekend we have a car show at the mall. Brady and Brad will be going to that and Makenna and I will stop in on our way to get groceries. Saturday night the kids are staying overnight at MIL and FILs house and Brad and I are going out for dinner and maybe to a movie. Afterwards I think we'll stop in at a fundraiser party a fellow racer is having. I will not be breaking my Whole30 b/c I know if I do, I will go full blown crazy on the white potatoes and cheese... I don't want to do that yet. I'm still worried about dairy and how it affects my ability to run. I suspect we'll go to Texas Roadhouse. But then again, Brad may really want to get Buffalo Wild Wings as we haven't been there in a long while. That menu will be harder to navigate... So hopefully I can talk him into sticking to TR and promise him BWW after the marathon.

We were going to see Divergent but given the bad reviews from friends, I don't know. Maybe we will anyway.

ANYHOW, I'm rambling...
          Last edited by jenn26point2; 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Honestly gluten would be the #1 thing I would eliminate for him to see if the digestive stuff improves.

I hope you can sort out the dosage stuff. Did the doc give any indication of what kind of adjustment period should be expected? Sometimes it can take a little bit for the med to settle and it may work better or worse during that period.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• It's a quick acting med... It doesn't have a build up phase. She started him on the smallest dose.

As for the gluten... yep. Pretty sure as well, but without everyone's (and I mean EVERYONE'S) support, that's impossible to correct. And I don't have the support.

Comment

• I get you sister. My aspergian could benefit from eating gluten free, but I can't do it alone.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Oh and I went to the gym and stretched a bunch but wasn't able to isolate the area that's sore... When I got back from the gym, I noticed while walking, if I apply pressure with two fingers to the area that hurts (at the peak of the iliac crest) the pain goes away. If I don't, it feels like the area is bruised and being bumped with every step... odd.

Comment

• On the gluten, could you get him tested for allergies/celiac? Now would be the time to do it while he's still eating gluten and having such a response. You might even get a doctors note and force some family support with a "professional's" backing. Not that a doctor could be more of a professional caregiver than a mom.

Comment

• The times that bother me is when he makes his own decisions and doesn't have us there to coach him or make the food decisions for him - like at school and birthday parties and stuff like that.

Comment

• Those situations will always be his choice, but you can try to lay good groundwork at home still.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Diet went from awesome to shit in a day... Must get back on track before it gets too far out of hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            The times that bother me is when he makes his own decisions and doesn't have us there to coach him or make the food decisions for him - like at school and birthday parties and stuff like that.
                            That's when you make sure the adults you have entrusted your son's well being in KNOW what the rules are and that you expect them to follow the rules you set down. And, do what's best for your son.

The first time my grandson (now 6) came to visit (Epi-Pen needed nut allergy) my son made it clear that even touching G after handling nuts could cause a reaction. Thanksgiving was held at my house and everyone (25+people) invited was made clearly aware of the situation/ expectations.

Comment

• See, that's a life or death situation... whether or not my son gets to eat a piece of cake is not life or death - and as such "one won't hurt" is the mentality EVERYONE around me will employ. And his dad will be just as bad and b/c one piece WON'T kill him, I'd end up giving in...

Comment

• Watched two movies this weekend for the first time. Friday night we had friends over who brought Frozen with them. Loved it. Bought it yesterday and want to watch it again so badly but haven't been able to. It's such a great movie. I'm listening to the soundtrack on rdio.com.

Then Saturday night we went out with the same friends and watched Divergent. I loved it. There were some major changes between the book and the movie, one change I am not really happy with and can't figure out how it's going to affect future movies, but it's Hollywood - they'll figure it out. They left out some stuff that was important to the story in book 2... I assume they'll just ignore those in Movie 2 as well.

I ate poorly starting Saturday night. Went to Texas Roadhouse and my mind was weak or something b/c I succumbed to the smell of the rolls and butter. I had a few rolls, a salad with ranch, a baked potato with ranch, a steak and shrimp. I ate entirely too much and so many of the wrong foods. My gut let me know about it yesterday morning too... but that didn't stop me from eating poorly ALL day yesterday. Too many cookies, Lucky Charms cereal, Shredded Wheat cereal, Dr. Pepper, and ice cream. Today is a new day - and technically speaking, day 1 of PHD.

I have my diary open and public on MFP so as I work through this, if anyone is interested in seeing what I'm doing, it's available. Username is the same.

Weight this morning was 183 - so 5 lbs down from the start of my Whole30. Makes me wonder just how low I'd gotten before I let it all go on Saturday... I plan to get things back under control and then weigh again next Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                X