No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One would think, Tomi... but how difficult has it been for you to avoid things you love that cause you pain? It's definitely not easy, which is why I need Whole30. I'm an all or nothing kind of person - there's no fuzzy line for me... it's a very fine, very thin line between all in and all out. Whole30 allows me to stay all out where as Primal, even Paleo, allows me to go all in (i.e. eat all the dairy I want, eat all the sugar I want, etc) b/c some things are allowed "in moderation" and I don't do moderation very well. I know no limits when I practice "moderation".

I'm sure there's probably a limit to the amount of dairy I can have before I develop issues, but I don't know what that limit is and I'm not in a place to test limits right now - best do it with a clean slate. I'm also considering talking to the dr about an allergy test to determine if it's whey or casein or both. If it's just whey, I can still enjoy cheese.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I hear ya! I just assumed you were stronger than me since you do so well on the whole30 things. You seem like the "set you're mind to it" kind of person to me. I didn't mean to make it sound easy - that was poor choice of words - change is never easy.

I think I've finally got my head wrapped around the fact that certain foods are just out of my life. Doesn't mean I will never have then again though......... I'm still hoping I can have a little once in a while after a good long time of letting my gut heal.
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• It sounds like we're in the same place in regard to how we approach diet (all or nothing) and realizing that some things we just can't hack anymore - no matter how badly we want them to be ok. I am coming to grips with the fact that I will always have problems if I consume dairy and I will have to eliminate it to live symptom free. Totally sucks.

Comment

• I wonder if you could have it once a while without too much trouble. Like once a month or something.
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Probably, but I'd still have to do that elimination period to test that. And I'm not sure once a month would be worth it - sadly that one time a month would likely work as a trigger and I'd over do it and have to go through elimination again.

I think once I get the gut healed, dairy might not be much of a problem - however, what I'm reading is that casein and whey allergies are not something we just fall upon or that happen as we age (like lactose intolerance), but is an allergy that has been there from the start (and like most other things, we don't notice it b/c the effects are part of our normal). I don't know if I have leaky gut - from what I can tell, I don't have any tell tale signs, but I have also read that the skin is the lowest priority organ and if nutrients are not plentiful or if there is healing going on elsewhere, the skin gets the shaft. What I read said to focus on gut healing and the skin healing will soon follow.

Isn't it interesting how much stuff we read related to certain ailments always comes back to the gut? Depression? Heal the gut. Autoimmune? Heal the gut. Crappy skin? Heal the gut. Inflammation? Heal the gut. Cancer? Heal the gut. So insane how much is dependent on a healthy gut - and here all we thought the gut was good for was digesting our food...

Did you know (I'm sure you've seen this somewhere) that the gut is technically considered the OUTSIDE of our body? In Anatomy and Physiology they threw us for a loop with this one. They said the human body is much like a donut, with the gut being the hole in the center. It's open on both ends, which, by clinical terms, makes it part of the "outside" of our body and that things can only get INto our body through either the skin (wounds) or our gut (osmosis, etc). It's definitely weird to think of humans as donuts. lol

Speaking of the gut - I think the overgrowth is finally getting under control. The gut gurgling has been gone a few days. The gassiness has been absent as well. And I only remember any kind of itch being present for a very short period of time a few days ago. I haven't been the most consistent with the PA, in fact, forgetting to take it entirely the last 3 days (took it today, though). I want to finish this bottle before I say I'm "cured" b/c motility has slowed as well (since not taking the PA). I'd really hate to think that I would need to keep taking that probiotic just to keep things moving. I would like to think that eventually the biocommunity would be sufficient to do the work without the help of the probiotic, right?

Today is a lifting day. I'm kind of excited.

We finally got clearance to move to the new office. I've got the work orders in for the furniture to be moved (again), and the computers to be moved. Now I need to set up the work order to have our phones moved. Everything is supposed to happen on Friday. I'm excited to NOT be sitting behind a door anymore.

Comment

• Yeah for the move! A brighter environment is always good for the disposition.

I've never heard the idea that the gut is "outside" the body - but it makes sense the way you explain it. Weird concept.

I talked to hubby last night about the SCD - why I'm doing it, for how long I'm doing it, and what the outcome should be. I think he had a hard time wrapping his brain around cutting all sugars, grains and starches out of my diet for a year or more. He sorta just stared at me and then said, "okay, if that's what it takes". I hope he's going to be a help and not a hindrance.

Do you have Brad's support in remaining in a constant state of whole30?
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion

Comment

• So I find this to be kinda funny. I do surveys for money, k... not much money, but a little bit of money. Some are worth $2, some are worth as much as $8. Anyway, one such study asked me if I'd be interested in testing a shampoo for them for additional money. I said yes. They sent me a dandruff shampoo (really??). Of course, I had to lie to them and tell them that no one in our family worked in the manufacture of personal care products (Brad does) and certify that I would not share the product with anyone else, sell the product to any manufacturers (or risk jail time) and would not disclose what I thought of the product to anyone other than the research team. I was supposed to use the product for 4 weeks. I did. I got $6 today for completing a survey about the shampoo.

As it turns out, the shampoo is manufactured by the company Brad works for. lmao I just find that to be funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post

Do you have Brad's support in remaining in a constant state of whole30?
                  As long as I'd be willing to provide meals to him that he wants that are not whole30 (i.e. chicken scampi, etc), then he'd be fine with it. Or as long as I found a way to remain whole30 compliant when we go out to eat (he likes Buffalo Wild Wings and that's the one place I haven't found a way around yet - but it's probably possible if I look hard enough).

Comment

• Oh joyous effing occasion! I just got the joys of signing up for some mandatory training! Tomorrow I have Active Shooter training (yippee!!), next week I have Threat Awareness and Reporting training (yippee!!) and the following week, my favorite training of them all, Suicide Prevention training... that one makes me cry every time. I hate it. I wish I could detach myself from the sadness I feel listening to these people's stories. I don't know if it's so sad to me simply b/c that's my nature or if it's b/c I've been there before and know what it's like to feel that hopelessness. Either way, the training sucks ass. I could probably talk to the Chaplain and get an exemption, but it almost seems like it'd be less traumatizing to just sit through the training.

I know Jon will understand the headache involved with all this danged training...

Comment

• Watching the Substance Abuse Awareness Training videos... one of the patients they interview regarding her story was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and abused drugs to ease the pain... sounds all too familiar...

I wonder if they'll disclose what she's done to cope with the pain now that she's kicked the prescription and street drug usage...
                      Last edited by jenn26point2; 03-04-2014, 02:57 PM.

Comment

• Day 1 of my Whole30. Feeling pissy today. I don't think it has anything to do with Whole30. I think it's a combination of things. 1. It's freaking snowing AGAIN! We were only supposed to get an inch, but we've gotten close to 3 already. So, the drive to work sucked. Getting that much snow that quickly makes for a really shitty drive to work. But it wasn't so much the commute to work that irritated me, it was the streets of our little town. They don't get the snow removal trucks out unless there are already 2 inches of snow on the ground (I'd argue that there was already when I left for work, but...). It was blowing already too. So, drifts were forming, which made it difficult to navigate the streets in town (but especially the N/S highways). The streets were slick from all the melt off yesterday and refreeze last night, then snow on top of it. I annoyed and frustrated the hell out of me. I am just fed up and done with winter. Effing done. FFS, enough snow already! If it hadn't been for the leave I had to take tomorrow to see the VA doc, I'd have called in and taken a mental health day.

2. I did some calculations in my head and I think it's PMS week. Feeling more tired, more propensity to reach for foods I shouldn't, and I'm experiencing a bit of digestive discomfort. So I think hormones might be playing a role in my pissiness too.

3. My VA appt is tomorrow and I'm starting to get more concerned about it. It came to me while I was shower this morning that the psychiatrist I'll be seeing is contracted by the government... part of his job will be staying on the government's side in all matters. This worries me a bit... I'm trying to remain optimistic, but... you know.

Five hours later and it's still effing snowing... *sigh*

My plan for this whole30:

46 days total (maybe 47 - haven't decided if I want to allow non-whole30 eating on Easter day or not - I think it'll ruin my experiment)
                        100% compliance
                        Larabars for marathon fuel
                        Controlled reintroduction of dairy products at the end
                        No scale
                        Limited fruit - I tend to use fruit as a crutch when giving up sugar

I haven't decided if I want to track calories or not. I'm not supposed to, but I signed up for food logging on Pact and as a result, I have to or I'm out actual money... I have thought about logging the same things each day to satisfy the pact, but not actually keep track of what I'm actually eating (I can't quit the pact midweek and I've heard it's a gigantic pain in the arse to quit a pact/put a pact on hold). Basically, logging food for the sake of meeting my pact goals, but lying, essentially... so far, it's only been worth a max of 96 cents per week earned for me, so it's not like my lying will earn me millions or anything. I may just stick with logging simply for the sake of accountability and macro monitoring.

I'll soon be entering the taper portion of marathon training, so with any luck, I'll start to actually lose some weight too.

Comment

• Sorry you're feeling pissy today I would too if I lived with all that snow! UGH! Winter has been a bugger this year! Presently in my part of the world it is raining pretty hard. The river behind our house is rising.

I'm sure you'll do great on the whole30. You've done several and know what to expect and how to navigate around the things that would throw you off. I'm looking forward to hearing what kind of weight loss you have this time!

When is the marathon? This is a full 26.2 miles yes???
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion

Comment

• Thanks, Tomi.

The marathon is April 13, and yes, it's the full 26.2 miles.

Comment

• Today is my appointment with the VA psych... *sigh* I don't want to go...

After my appointment - provided I don't feel like a sack of assholes - I'll be going to the gym.

Then to Petco. We have lost a few fish in our tank, so I have been talking to the aquatics market manager. She's going to recommend a few things - certain fish, foods, treatments, etc, and refund my money for the lost fish.

I may also stop at HyVee for more raw organic cashews. I want to make more cashew butter to get me through this Whole30. It's such a magnificent little treat on an apple. mmmm....

Which reminds me - Whole30 day 2. I avoided the scale. It was harder than I thought.

Feeling really bloated, digestively uncomfortable and fat today. I am suspicious of my uterus...

Otherwise, feeling meh... This appointment is weighing heavily...

Comment

• Hope everything goes well, Jenn.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X