No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's interesting... I like how they say that SIJ pain is caused by asymmetrical loading and then list golfing as an example... how 'bout "carrying a kid" as the load... that's more common than golfing...

And of course I have to comment on this:

Running Shoes
    “Shoes worn during physical training may be the most important
    equipment related to prevention.”1 Without appropriate supportive
    shoes specifically designed for running, women are at an increased risk
    for overuse injuries in the foot, ankle, shin, knee, hip, and back. There
    is no one running shoe that is perfect for everyone, but many experts
    have tips for purchasing an appropriate shoe. Running shoes should be
    comfortable, not old; have a strong and deep heel counter with an Achilles
    tendon relief; have a strong midsole (should not be able to bend the
    shoe in half); have a flexible toe box (should be able to flex under the
    ball of the foot); have a wide toe box; and have adequate cushioning in
    the heel. For a good fit, there should be a thumbnail’s length between
    the big toe and the end of the shoe to allow for swelling and expansion
    during running. There should be plenty of room in the toe box, but no
    excess room in the heel. The age and condition of the shoes are also
    important. Shoes should only be worn for running (not daily outings or
    playing tennis) and changed after reaching approximately 500 miles or
    every 12 months (if running 3 miles/day at least 3 times/week).
    WRONG!!!

More and more runners, here, on post are ditching the bulky running shoe and getting a minimalistic shoe - New Balance Minimus, Merrell Pace Gloves, etc. Vibrams are still not allowed for PT testing, but they are used in the training by many of the guys here. Man I hate how far behind "research" is. Which is funny b/c the Army recently released an article indicating those solders who wore minimalist shoes suffered fewer running related injuries - but the Surgeon General of the Army still prohibits vibrams b/c they're "faddish". Whatev... Merrell Pace Gloves are the same exact thing, just don't have the toe separation. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23007933 That was written in 2012, where as the article you provided was written in 2011, so not far off in age. Hopefully they'll get their act together and realize that shoe DOES matter and will eventually allow people to wear what they want.

All of this has NOTHING to do with the reason you posted the article, I just found it interesting and had to comment.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Blaaaaahhhhhh... my gut is unhappy today. Gurgling and rolling but not doing anything... *sigh* Still taking PA, which has (I think) reduced the itching, but not improved the frequency of bathroom visits. Still taking 2 capsules a day.

Did I mention that Dr. Lake is certain I have an allergy to something I ate this weekend based on the 7 lb gain I had? Turns out SIL also had a 7 lb gain this weekend, and has lost 6 of those pounds after two days on Whole30. That's nice. I wish I'd had the same kind of loss. lol I'm still bloated and puffy.

She expressed interest in finding out what her allergen is after this whole30 is done. She suspects gluten (likely suspect). I also suspect gluten, but wonder if it's just straight up gluten for me or if it's a combination of gluten and something else for me (like excessive amounts of sugar/dairy). Or maybe it's gluten and MSG or something like that. I'm pretty sure the seasoning Texas Roadhouse uses has MSG, and the Chinese restaurant we ordered from on Sunday also uses MSG. Something to ponder for sure.

4 mile run today. On the effing treadmill again. *sigh* I have a friend who is an instructor at the Y who is hooking me up with a 10 day punch pass ($25) to the Y so I don't have to drive so far to run my long run - and don't have to run on a crappy treadmill. I'm pretty excited b/c I could also swim afterwards. 18 miles on the ol' hampster wheel this weekend...

Day off on Monday. President's Day. Stoked about that. I love days off. Not sure how I plan to use it.

Comment

• I'm having my best scoring game ever on Words with Friends and it's against someone who is getting crappy letters with low scoring words... seriously, why couldn't I get these opportunities with my powerhouse opponents?

Comment

• lol. I love WWF...& generally have the same prob with my brother. I swear they give him all the good letters & I get the crappy ones cause he almost always trounces me!! Poor mom on the other hand...she quit playing me & brother cause we would out score her so so bad. ha! Scrabble was always my favorite board game, so WWF is great! If you ever need another opponent just give a shout.

On the running shoe thing (of which I know nothing!), my son uses a minimalist shoe & loves it for running. They are bright neon green & ugly as sin...but he loves them. He had surgery when he was younger on both big toes for bunions & I was afraid of them not giving him the right kind of support, but he says they work great & are comfortable. He can't wear vibrams...they don't fit him right. So I guess the secret is to find what's comfortable for each individual.

I used to love to walk on the treadmill...did it everyday when I was going to the gym on the island. I'm not a runner...would black both my eyes if I did!!! lol. Hell I can't even walk right anymore due to the knees. So I'm running vicariously thru you Jenn!!
          Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Ha! PC, I thought for a minute that you loved the World Wrestling Federation.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
              I used to love to walk on the treadmill...did it everyday when I was going to the gym on the island. I'm not a runner...would black both my eyes if I did!!! lol. Hell I can't even walk right anymore due to the knees. So I'm running vicariously thru you Jenn!!
              PC, what is the issue with your knees?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                Ha! PC, I thought for a minute that you loved the World Wrestling Federation.
                Hahaha I did too at first... and then I was like, no, WWF is World Wildlife Federation... why the heck is she talking about that? Then it dawned on me after I looked at my last post. lol

What gets me is that I am playing a couple of people that I never would have expected to has as vast a vocabulary as they have. Some of their stomping me is actual legitimate board play, but some of the words they're coming up with I've never seen before. I almost feel like they're cheating. lol But not Paula... I know Paula is honest.

But today, I'm 150 points up on a friend - the friend who is at the top of the leaderboard, so I thought for sure he'd stomp me. I went out of the chute with a 7 letter word for 57 points. And then I had another word that I was able to build from a word he placed and it scored me 63 points. The highest scoring word I've ever had was jock. The J fell on TL, the K on TW.

Comment

• I have friends who constantly input their letters into Scrabble Word Finder. It pisses me off no end. Play honestly or go home.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• There is an actual cheat out there that works very well. It's on a blog called "Blog My Brain". You enter in the words on the board (and their placement), then enter the letters you have to play, and it'll give you the highest point option based on your "vocabularly" level - English professor, college, high school, World Champion, etc. You can save the board and come back to it. Once when I thought someone was cheating and I was dang tired of losing to them, I used this blog and won, but not by much... I can't help but wonder if said friend was using the same algorithm.

Comment

• I mentioned to my running buddy/former fellow Guardsman/former Bataan buddy that I was not eating sweet potatoes as per the GAPS protocol to help fight off this candida thing. She mentioned that she had a copy of The Paleo Diet for Athletes and is letting me borrow it. I'm excited to read it.

The same friend also has a source for raw milk. It's just across the river from where I live. It's $7 a gallon, plus a $6 deposit for the jars (they put it in glass jars and each time you get milk, you exchange the jars). I wonder if it's grass-fed.

Comment

• Coconut Cream Pie Larabars are my new crack... Can't. get. enough... Can we say "food without brakes"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
                          I have friends who constantly input their letters into Scrabble Word Finder. It pisses me off no end. Play honestly or go home.
                          That's just cheating! why play if you need that kind of help?
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• LOL. Don't like wrestlers...but do love wildlife!! I agree...why play if you have to cheat? I do occasionally play some pretty weird words...but sometimes I just put letters on the board to see if it makes anything. Sometimes I luck out. My highest score was 106...I wished i'da taken a screen shot! The stars were all aligned that day! lol

Marcadav, I have osteoarthritis in both knees...very little cartilage left so it's pretty much bone on bone. I have what my chirodoc called a "joint mouse" in my right knee. He says either a bone spur or a piece of cartilage broke off & now my knee won't bend properly. I have to sit down verrrryyyy slowly to give the knee time to gradually bend. Anyways...I can't walk in a normal fashion so I limp & have to walk slow. I'm in considerable pain when I'm on my feet for very long. It's been about 4 or 5 years now. I definitely need knee replacements, but no insurance...no money...so no whining. If the pain gets bad enough I have a script for Loratabs & that helps. I have been wondering if the gelatin that everyone has been taking would help my situation. I have been told that the cartilage doesn't grow back...once it's gone it's gone. Oh well!

Back to Jenn's regularly scheduled programming.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                              LOL. Don't like wrestlers...but do love wildlife!! I agree...why play if you have to cheat? I do occasionally play some pretty weird words...but sometimes I just put letters on the board to see if it makes anything. Sometimes I luck out. My highest score was 106...I wished i'da taken a screen shot! The stars were all aligned that day! lol

Marcadav, I have osteoarthritis in both knees...very little cartilage left so it's pretty much bone on bone. I have what my chirodoc called a "joint mouse" in my right knee. He says either a bone spur or a piece of cartilage broke off & now my knee won't bend properly. I have to sit down verrrryyyy slowly to give the knee time to gradually bend. Anyways...I can't walk in a normal fashion so I limp & have to walk slow. I'm in considerable pain when I'm on my feet for very long. It's been about 4 or 5 years now. I definitely need knee replacements, but no insurance...no money...so no whining. If the pain gets bad enough I have a script for Loratabs & that helps. I have been wondering if the gelatin that everyone has been taking would help my situation. I have been told that the cartilage doesn't grow back...once it's gone it's gone. Oh well!

Back to Jenn's regularly scheduled programming.
                              Is arthroscopic surgery a possibility to see if they can remove the spur/wayward cartilage?

I have bone on bone arthritis in my left, CP affected, knee. Staying away from grains has done wonders for the pain and swelling. I also feel better with consistent movement/walking.

Jenn, sorry for the highjack.

Comment

• Marcadav...it probably could be, but again no insurance. I will agree that last year when I first went grain free & lost a few ponds it made a lot of difference in the amount of pain I had. Makes a good case for doing so again! If I could just get myself motivated!! *sigh*

Comment

Working...
                                X