No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sucks your friend is bowing out of the Bataan. That would be a bad ass course to finish. It does look like the pros out-weigh the cons though. However, if you do do it, brag to me, I know it is a huge f*cking deal and will totally appreciate how bad ass you are.

Comment

• Well, thanks, Jon, but again - you're former military. lol Not that that status makes it less bad ass, it just means you SHOULD understand. lol

Man, I'm so torn about what to do... I need to talk to Brad. I know what he's going to suggest, but I still want to talk to him about it.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• And it's not like the course ends this year - it'll go on til the end of time, I'm sure. There's no reason I can't run it another year when Wendy can go.

Comment

• I have officially opted out of the Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon for 2014. Wendy and I are talking about it for next year.

In lieu of the BMDMM, I am signing up for the Illinois Marathon, to take place on April 26th - one month later than Bataan. It'll give me 4 more weeks to train, which will be helpful. Maybe I can do a second 20 miler or go past 20 miles... Haven't decided yet. Part of me just wants to say no to the marathon at this point and go back to strength training... I am still grossly overwhelmed by the idea of a marathon - especially solo. If someone were doing it with me, I might not be so overwhelmed. But, it's just like any other challenge... Just have to overcome and adapt, right?

Russian Circus came early. And with a vengance. Skipped the run yesterday due to pain with walking, which is indicative that it is indeed NOT a run day.

Bringing dairy back brought back that peroneal nerve pain. Planning to make an appointment with Dr. Lake to work that out. Dairy is again gone. That was all I had reintroduced before the pain started up again. So, for the sake of my ability to run, dairy has to remain off limits - or significantly reduced - like one day a week max.

Body stuff: probiotic seems to be working... maybe? The itch is significantly reduced. I haven't had any warring in my gut, which I was quite honestly looking forward to as a sign that things were working. Taking two prescript assist capsules a day. If things flare up again, I'll be speaking to the staff at Dr. Lake's office. They sell a product meant to attack candida called Candibactrim or something - manufactured by Metagenics. It's $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply x 2 formulations to take for a month, so $70. Not covered by insurance and likely not by FSA. At least there's another option, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
            I have officially opted out of the Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon for 2014. Wendy and I are talking about it for next year.

In lieu of the BMDMM, I am signing up for the Illinois Marathon, to take place on April 26th - one month later than Bataan. It'll give me 4 more weeks to train, which will be helpful. Maybe I can do a second 20 miler or go past 20 miles... Haven't decided yet. Part of me just wants to say no to the marathon at this point and go back to strength training... I am still grossly overwhelmed by the idea of a marathon - especially solo. If someone were doing it with me, I might not be so overwhelmed. But, it's just like any other challenge... Just have to overcome and adapt, right?

Russian Circus came early. And with a vengance. Skipped the run yesterday due to pain with walking, which is indicative that it is indeed NOT a run day.

Bringing dairy back brought back that peroneal nerve pain. Planning to make an appointment with Dr. Lake to work that out. Dairy is again gone. That was all I had reintroduced before the pain started up again. So, for the sake of my ability to run, dairy has to remain off limits - or significantly reduced - like one day a week max.

Body stuff: probiotic seems to be working... maybe? The itch is significantly reduced. I haven't had any warring in my gut, which I was quite honestly looking forward to as a sign that things were working. Taking two prescript assist capsules a day. If things flare up again, I'll be speaking to the staff at Dr. Lake's office. They sell a product meant to attack candida called Candibactrim or something - manufactured by Metagenics. It's $35 a bottle for a 30 day supply x 2 formulations to take for a month, so $70. Not covered by insurance and likely not by FSA. At least there's another option, I guess.
            4 weeks is a lot of time..... give you plenty of time to hit your long distance goals...

Comment

• I had to look up the Bataan. That is one wicked looking race. I like that civilians are allowed to join as well.
              Georgette

Comment

• Candibactin? I googled and that was the result that came up. I've never seen a formulation like that before, very interesting.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Candibacter... yes, that's it. That's my next step.

Bataan: I want to make it abudnantly clear that I'm not ditching this race b/c I "can't do it". I can physically cover the distance without problems... It's that I don't WANT to do it alone. I don't WANT to go to NM alone. I don't WANT to stay in a hotel 1 hour from the race alone, in a foreign city, with Canio just a couple of hours away... that shiz scares me! lmao

I decided not to sign up for the Illinois Marathon b/c there are no hotel vacancies left, and I'm not willing to drive 3 hours to a marathon, run the marathon and then drive 3 hours back. That's just insanity - more insanity than voluntarily running 26.2 miles. I found one, by the grace of luck, one hour from home, on April 13. It's flat. It's fast. And it's in a familiar area (I used to live in the area just before meeting Brad). I have friends who live there and a gal I work with and talk about running with all the time is running the half. She said since it's my first marathon, she'll come back and find me and run in with me, which I thought was super freaking cool. I'm really excited about this one. Almost as excited as I was about going to Bataan before Wendy couldn't go anymore. Next year... we're doing it next year (hear that Canio??? Next year.)

Gut is gurgling today... I took the weekend off of Whole30 and I can totally tell it. I'm also up 7 lbs... I'm bloated - like a dead cow in the summer sun. B.L.O.A.T.E.D. Me no likey... Back on Whole30 rules today. Hopefully my ring and fitbit won't be so tight anymore that they leave indentations. Seriously, this sucks. What the hell? I didn't eat THAT much stuff. Well... wait, yeah I did. Friday at Texas Roadhouse, I had three rolls, followed with ice cream at Cold Stone. Saturday I had McDonald's. I don't remember what we at Saturday night (how do I not remember that??). Oh wait... we had tacos made at home. Sunday I had Kraft Mac&Cheese (which seriously, folks, is gross now... thanks Paleo... lol) and Chinese for dinner... wow... major off-roading. I deserve every one of those 7 gained pounds and the gurgling gut... but, there's no itch presently, so I'm not completely screwed by my horrible weekend menu. Time to rein it in for sure!

So, Whole30 Day 1.

One final note: I'm reminded of how much I hate Words with Friends... I just want mindless games. lol

Comment

I don't WANT to stay in a hotel 1 hour from the race alone, in a foreign city, with Canio just a couple of hours away... that shiz scares me! lmao

Next year... we're doing it next year (hear that Canio??? Next year.)

Yup, I hear ya. I'd like to do the ruck march, no way I can run a marathon. Time to get my ass rucking I guess. BTW not sure if I am supposed to be offended by that first statement or not

Comment

• I would much rather do the marathon than the ruck march any day! Ruck marches always gave me shin splints b/c people walk too damned fast. I was alway the one causing the slinky effect b/c I'd run to catch up to the person in front of me. You can carry my ruck, how's that sound to ya?

Comment

I would much rather do the marathon than the ruck march any day! Ruck marches always gave me shin splints b/c people walk too damned fast. I was alway the one causing the slinky effect b/c I'd run to catch up to the person in front of me. You can carry my ruck, how's that sound to ya?
                        Well, I plan to walk at my own pace. I don't need to keep up to that insane Army pace anymore. And, now I know who I can blame for the slinky effect. Dang womenz . Seriously, though I am not sure why they have women ruck. Given the hip/leg issues you all can develop just from marching, rucking seems like it is asking for trouble. That said, we never had more than 2-3 women in any unit I was in so it didn't really matter. As for carry your ruck...ruck no.

Comment

• hahahaha What hip/leg issues caused by women rucking? I heard nothing about any possible hip issues... do share.

Comment

• I went to see the Princess of Pain today. She fixed me up again... while I was there, we talked about diet - which is a common conversation piece for us. I told her that I went "off roading" this weekend and gained 7 pounds. She said that much in 3 days is highly indicative of an allergy. But an allergy to what? She thought gluten for sure (that was my suspicion too b/c previous dinners containing gluten have resulted in a 6 lb gain). She didn't suspect dairy as a primary b/c I'd had dairy the 3 days prior and all it did was cause my leg to burn while running (pinched that nerve again), which is an obvious sign that dairy produces inflammation in my body.

But whenever I think back to eating gluten, there's always sugar involved too. Rolls at Texas Roadhouse include their cinnamon honey butter. The ice cream at Cold Stone included a brownie. Sunday, I'm sure the Chinese food had both sugar and gluten in it as well (Mongolian Beef). So maybe it's the combination of the two items.

I don't notice a problem when I eat sugar without gluten.

Do I want to experiement further to determine which one (or both) is the culprit? Not really. What I want is the mental fortitude to avoid both permanently.

Additionally, I want a cheap source for dates so I can make my own larabars... those buggers are sooo good, and so expensive.

Comment

hahahaha What hip/leg issues caused by women rucking? I heard nothing about any possible hip issues... do share.
                              I recall reading an article a year or more back about how something with how women's hips/pelvis structure makes taking marching steps stressful leading to many hip injuries. A quick round of google fu yields this http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/borden/...2-4a518be998f7 pages 3-5 give a quick overview but basically women are 67% more likely than men to get physical disability due to military service and 79-88% of new injuries are lower extremity injuries. I also looked at some English studies that show much the same. Nothing against women, we are just built differently and lord knows the Army has yet to adjust their one size fits all policy.

Comment

• That's interesting... I like how they say that SIJ pain is caused by asymmetrical loading and then list golfing as an example... how 'bout "carrying a kid" as the load... that's more common than golfing...

And of course I have to comment on this:

Running Shoes
                                “Shoes worn during physical training may be the most important
                                equipment related to prevention.”1 Without appropriate supportive
                                shoes specifically designed for running, women are at an increased risk
                                for overuse injuries in the foot, ankle, shin, knee, hip, and back. There
                                is no one running shoe that is perfect for everyone, but many experts
                                have tips for purchasing an appropriate shoe. Running shoes should be
                                comfortable, not old; have a strong and deep heel counter with an Achilles
                                tendon relief; have a strong midsole (should not be able to bend the
                                shoe in half); have a flexible toe box (should be able to flex under the
                                ball of the foot); have a wide toe box; and have adequate cushioning in
                                the heel. For a good fit, there should be a thumbnail’s length between
                                the big toe and the end of the shoe to allow for swelling and expansion
                                during running. There should be plenty of room in the toe box, but no
                                excess room in the heel. The age and condition of the shoes are also
                                important. Shoes should only be worn for running (not daily outings or
                                playing tennis) and changed after reaching approximately 500 miles or
                                every 12 months (if running 3 miles/day at least 3 times/week).
                                WRONG!!!

More and more runners, here, on post are ditching the bulky running shoe and getting a minimalistic shoe - New Balance Minimus, Merrell Pace Gloves, etc. Vibrams are still not allowed for PT testing, but they are used in the training by many of the guys here. Man I hate how far behind "research" is. Which is funny b/c the Army recently released an article indicating those solders who wore minimalist shoes suffered fewer running related injuries - but the Surgeon General of the Army still prohibits vibrams b/c they're "faddish". Whatev... Merrell Pace Gloves are the same exact thing, just don't have the toe separation. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23007933 That was written in 2012, where as the article you provided was written in 2011, so not far off in age. Hopefully they'll get their act together and realize that shoe DOES matter and will eventually allow people to wear what they want.

All of this has NOTHING to do with the reason you posted the article, I just found it interesting and had to comment.

Comment

Working...
                                X