No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I canned 5 quarts and one pint of homemade chicken stock the other night. I posted a pic of it on Instagram and some random person told me that I can't hot water bath can chicken stock b/c the temperature isn't high enough to kill the bacteria and I need to pressure can it.

Riddle me this: if the stock is boiling for 48 hours, then placed into jars and immediately placed into a HUGE pot of boiling water and submerged in said boiling water for 35 minutes (which also causes the broth to come back to a rolling boil), why wouldn't this be sufficient?

I'm seeing a lot of recipes online that tell you to pressure can it at 10 psi for 35-90 minutes, but I don't see WHY or any difinitive proof that it HAS to be pressure canned. I'm really hoping PC has some insight on this b/c I'll be totally pissed if I have to toss out more than a gallon of that beautiful goodness...

(This also makes me curious to know if the chicken soup I canned will be any good if broth must be pressure canned...)

Itching was intense last night and this morning. Had sweet potatoes with dinner. I figured since I wasn't doing the GAPS protocol as prescribed, I might as well not be doing it. Going to hold out hope that the PA will help get things back in line and that's all I need.

Got my kids new shoes yesterday. I purposely got Brady shoes with laces. Normally, I get him Sketchers b/c they look neat and he likes them, but they don't do laces with Sketchers, so I got him a cool pair of grey and bright orange Filas. He likes them. I showed him how to ties his shoes (loop, swoop, pull) and he got it quickly. Just needs to practice a bit more so he gets it right every time. I was suprised how easy it was to show him how to do it. I thought for sure it would be agonizing.

Whole30 is over. I lost 11 lbs. Brad lost 25.6. Yes, you read that right. 25.6 pounds. It's fantastic. Now beings the battle of whether or not I want to reintroduce dairy or not... I'm torn. He wants to, but you can see his hesitation. I think he actually feels pretty good and doesn't want to muck it up. I think he's scared that dairy is a bad deal for him and that he'll need to give it up forever... it'll be interesting to see how it works out for him. But man... 25.6 pounds. So stoked for him. He was hoping for 30 and missed the mark, but something tells me a couple more weeks would see him past that 30 lb mark.

I suppose that's all. Better get ready for the gym. 4 mile run today.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• True, low acid foods shouldn't be canned in a water bath. It has to do with Clostridium Botulinum, the bacteria that causes botulism. Normally foods prepped for a water bath are not boiled long enough to kill all of the bacteria, and the heat and pressure of a pressure cooker does (just like a steam sterilizer)..... however, since you boiled it for 48 hours, it will probably be fine. I would suggest that you store the jars in the fridge as an added measure of safety, and use them quickly...

The why has to do with the bacteria... it forms spores (a tough outer shell) that can't be broken by the short boiling times of a water bath. The pressure canning has enough pressure to break the shell and the temp kills the bacteria...

OK, enough geeky medical crap for one day... all that time in the Nav was worth a little something, anyway..
      Last edited by ssn679doc; 02-05-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• Why not give a 1 week trial to dairy and ask Brad how he feels after that week? I imagine that would be enough time to see if he re-gains during that time too.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• I don't know sh*t about canning but couldn't you freeze the stock? With regard to the Whole30, congrats to you and hubby! DH and I tried to do one and ours didn't go nearly as well as yours.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clarkie View Post
            I don't know sh*t about canning but couldn't you freeze the stock? With regard to the Whole30, congrats to you and hubby! DH and I tried to do one and ours didn't go nearly as well as yours.
            Yeah, I'd freeze it if it were me. I also hope to have a huge freezer chest someday though.
            Depression Lies

Comment

• Jenn I sent you a pm. The info already posted by the others is what I've always read & done, you just have to be so careful when you can foods yourself. Botulism can be fatal...& at the very least make someone very sick. I personally would not chance using what you've already done in the hot water bath...sorry. Why risk it? If you don't have a pressure canner then I would just freeze the next batch. Or keep it in the fridge, if you could use it within say a week. I've been canning for about 8 years now & have canned just about everything. I've got & read lots of books on the subject & talked to a lot of folks over the years. I don't consider myself an expert, just experienced...but I'll be glad to help any way I can.

And no I would not chance using the chicken soup you previously canned if it was not done in a pressure canner. Sorry again. but again...why risk making your family sick?
              Last edited by theprimalcajun; 02-05-2014, 12:14 PM.
              Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• *sigh* My mom thought that if there was no meat in the broth, it would be ok... I don't have a pressure canner. I *could* freeze it, but I really don't have the room for it and my jars are already sealed - I'd have to break the seals and pour some off to make enough room for expansion. Pressure canners are like 80 freaking bucks!! And I don't know anyone who owns one... and I'm leery about buying one on ebay... Yeah, they're no cheaper on eBay... a lot of people are selling "cookers" as "canners". *sigh* this sucks...

Comment

• To be on the safe side --- my suggestion is to just break the seal -- pour the contents into zip lock bags and freeze. Consider it part of the learning curve All you're losing is the sealed lids and thats only pennies. Not much in comparison to the safety of your family - right???

When it comes to food safety -- I always err on the side of caution. You know the old saying, "When in doubt - throw it out"!!!
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• It's been sitting on my counter since Monday night - since I sealed the jars. Is it still ok to freeze at this point?

Comment

• I don't know...even tho they are sealed, they were not processed properly (the broth or the soup) & have not been refrigerated ...chicken spoils very quickly in my opinion. I wouldn't chance it & would throw it all out & start over. Lesson learned. But that's just my opinion.

I bought my canner at Wally World for $67. If you plan to do quite a bit of canning its worth the investment. Again my opinion, but I do ALOT of canning. My mom & my brother also each have one & sometimes we get together & have all three going! And yes there is a difference between a pressure cooker & a pressure canner...altho you can cook in the canner...but I wouldn't recommend it.

Ultimately it's up to you Jenn & what you feel comfortable doing.

Comment

• Well, I don't feel comfortable using it, that's for sure. As for a pressure canner? Not for a while at least. That's a lot of money for something I'd use once or twice a quarter at best. I guess I'll find a way to freeze it in the future.

Comment

• Well then you're probably right if that's all you would do...it's not worth that expense. If I lived closer to you I would can it for you!! I think you made the right decision tho. Chances are you could use a jar or two & not have a problem...then the next jar could be the one that makes you/family sick. Freezing the broth in small quantities sounds better. You can even freeze the soup.

You could watch Craig's List or the paper & maybe you could find a small freezer used. We lucked out & got ours for free...hubby's uncle gave it to us because they had one too many & as they are getting older didn't need 2. It is an older model (upright) & if it goes out we will have to find a way to replace it. I can't be without a freezer as I buy meats & stuff in bulk (it saves us money in the long run) & I freeze some of the garden produce. Altho I do can most of it.

Comment

• We have a chest freezer. It's full. Lol

Got my PrescriptAssist. Luckily, it came from a company called Trinity Health so Brad didn't open it... not that I'm hiding anything from him, but at that expense, I don't want to share it for fear I'll run out before it has a chance to work fully. If it works quickly, I'll share the wonder drug with him for sure and discuss whether that's an expense we want to continue with. If it's not enough, I may ask Dr. Ashley for another diflucan rx. I thought about what might be causing it and the only thing I can think of is that maybe my body's pH is off. Will monitor and talk to Dr. Lake about it at my next chiro appt. Not sure insurance will cover the testing. It's just a spit swab test, I guess.

Comment

• Whole30 thoughts: Brad and I discussed our first "non-whole30" day last night. He said someone ordered pizza for work (Papa John's) so he decided to partake. He grabbed two slices. He said just looking at them he felt like he was cheating on me. lol He brushed that aside and started eating. He said he developed such an upset stomach that he didn't finish. He said the worst part was that the upset stomach wasn't even worth it b/c the pizza sucked (he's not a papa john's fan), but would have been worth it had it been better pizza, like Happy Joe's - a small midwestern chain. Their pizza is freaking awesome! They ship it frozen to people b/c it's so well loved. He was saddened by the experience but just realized how good he really felt pre-pizza.

Sister-in-law experienced something similar. She had a glass of wine and a conventional cookie (that she baked at home for the daycare). She said the two (wine the Tuesday night, cookie Wednesday) caused her stomach to be upset and her mind to feel panicky.

Brother-in-law started yesterday morning with two HUGE bowls of cereal. Oops Berries. Brad said last night in the garage while working on the cars, BIL was very gassy and it smelled horrific. And BIL is the type of person who takes pride in the smell of his farts - he's very immature like that. I guess even he was appalled and less than enthusiastic about it - kind of like he was trying to act normal, but maybe he was thinking there was something to it afterall. He told me yesterday that he didn't feel any different after 30 days, so he saw no reason to continue. Part of me hopes he feels like total garbage today after a day of eating garbage. Since he and I don't get along the greatest, I opted not to tell him that NOT feeling better after 30 days means you need more time on the program. There's no way he'd do that anyway.

I had a meal with dairy last night. Heavy cream, butter, and parmesan cheese. Too much? lol We decided to have Chicken Scampi for dinner - Brad's absolute favorite dish. I started having that gross phlegmy need to clear my throat shortly after eating, but it seems to be mostly gone now. I have leftovers for lunch, so I'm sure I'll have the same condition later.

What really surprised me last night was that Brad opted for WATER with dinner instead of milk... I thought for sure he'd go back to drinking milk, but maybe that 30 days was enough to change most of his habits. I know he said he has no plans of going back off the rails now that he's done... he said he'll eat Primally, Paleo-ly, and Whole30-ly, for the most part, but when he's dining out or if they're catering in lunch at work, he's not going to stress about it and will just eat what he wants. I just hope the freedom he takes when eating out and when at work won't escalate and become freedom all the time.

I'm surprised by myself. I still haven't had anything with sugar in it... I was walking through the grocery store last night and I considered getting a chocolate bar, but decided I really didn't want to go down that path. I don't want to reintroduce all those bad habits again.

Brad and I are going to Texas Roadhouse for dinner this weekend. I'll be tempted by the rolls, but I think I'll maintain a gluten free mindset and stick to the dairy splurges for right now.

Gut: I got my Prescript Assist. I have taken two already. I took one last night when I got home and one before bed. So far, no war. The incredible itching is still present. May venture to a store over lunch to buy some kind of anti-itch something or other. May even place a call to the dr for a Rx. May wait a few more days for the Rx and just do the cream for now. For the last two days the itch has been the absolute worst! It's been keeping me up at night and frustrating me almost to the point of tears. I definitely wish I was feeling something from the probiotic - even if it was cramps from the flora wars.

General: I just spoke with my old boss. It's always nice to catch up with him. I liked him a lot and often wish I still worked for him, but a permanent position is a permanent position... I should tell him about this budget analyst spot. I know he'd put in a good word for me.

Welp... time for bacon!

Comment

• I hope you get some relief from the itch soon. I'd suggest going for a cream if only to minimize that discomfort for now! I know how obnoxious any kind of odd-place itch can be.

Great news on Brad. Hopefully he will be more open-minded to a strict Whole30 now and then if his loss doesn't continue with the "occasional" splurges. With Hulky, if he's feeling bad after eating something, I'll usually just prompt "What did you eat [insert time frame]?" and we'll figure out what the problem was. I don't agree with his plan of attack once we identify the likely cause of the problem (like oh I'll just drink less instead of maybe not drink for a few months), but it's his choice.
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X