No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I plan to continue the Whole30 until the end of March. My plan for after the whole30 is to reintroduce dairy and dairy only - and probably only butter, cheese and cream. I don't need milk. I know milk makes me phlegmy, but it's possible that cheese and cream will as well.

I still have some joint stiffness in the morning when I get up - again, feet and ankles only. It takes about 10 steps for it to go away and for the joints to function properly again. If I didn't have to get out of bed to shut off the alarm clock, I could probably lay there and work it out before getting out of bed.

Running is easier again, so I know the inflammation is mostly gone. I think that went away with the initial 8 lbs I lost... but I'm still up 18 lbs from my lowest weight in October. I guess I thought those pounds would fall off more easily than they are.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
      I guess I thought those pounds would fall off more easily than they are.
      Ah, I see we are having the same issue. No worries. It's not like you don't know what to do. Good to hear the inflammation is mostly gone.

Comment

• For joints, maybe look into joining the gelatin cult of which I am a card carrying member.

I agree about the weight. I quickly dropped the 10 lb holiday weight gain when I went clean Paleo, but I am stuck at about 5 lbs above my lowest weight. By rights, things should be moving. I am eating right, exercising and still have 40 lbs to lose. GRRR.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• unfortunately our bodies don't go by the "by rights" rules. GRRRR! When I think I'm doing everything right things might or might not move on the scales. Then I'll do something I think is going to totally screw with the scales and I'll end up dropping a couple pounds over night. Too bad repeating the "screw with" behavior doesn't always yield the same results - its inevitably the opposite! I bounce right back up.

You figure it out Jenn! I found nuts to be my worst enemy and just completely cut them out. I haven't lost the 8 pounds I believe were caused by nuts - but I haven't gained anymore so that's a win.

when you start back on the butter, cheese and cream - I suggest doing ONE at a time so you can assess the effects. Give yourself a one week trial of one thing - if no phlemies - then add one more.

I'm happy to hear Brad is having success with this Whole30 That must be so encouraging to you for the long run - and the hope that he will chose to remain primal/paleo even after the weight is under control and he finds his happy place. I love seeing couples doing this together!
          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
          2. Eat to heal
          3. Move to live
          4. Embrace today
          5. Live with intention
          6. Respect my body
          7. Cultivate joy
          8. Find my passion
          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I think one of the reasons he agreed to join me is that we keep seeing couples we know b/c one loses weight, gets noticed by the opposite sex, strays from their marriage and then they get a divorce. We've seen it happen 3 times recently. He just told me of another one last week. And it's always the woman who does the straying... I don't get it.

So, I think Brad is a bit self-conscious and worried in that regard... but I have zero interest in ruining what we have with our little family. He also got a reality check right after Christmas when we went shopping and he could find ZERO clothes in the stores he liked that fit. He's up to a 4x tshirt. Highest he could find was 3x. We started Whole30 the following Monday.

Things are technically changing - pants aren't as tight as they were, tummy looks less pregnant, etc - but the weight isn't falling off - and I know it can b/c it did once before - VERY recently. It's just kind of frustrating that Whole30 got me to that weight and now it doesn't seem to be working... however, I am only 17 days in, so maybe I'll see a drop yet. And then again, it might take more than 30 days to find the weight loss... I could have done more gut damage over the holidays than I thought. I know it's still not right b/c my skin still looks like shit and I'm still breaking out a bit. So... maybe I just need more time.

Trying to remain patient.

Comment

• What was your activity like back in October?
              Depression Lies

Comment

• Patience is tough when we are looking for results! Hang in there..........

On the activity level - I remember when you were dropping all that weight you were also training very hard. Daily runs to prepare for the 1/2. If I recall - you were not lifting at that time - just running daily. Could be wrong - you know better than I! but I do remember thinking - Man! Jenn is having so much success with her weight loss because she is running her arse off! made me want to take up running - but not enough to actually go do it! (in my defense - I am 53 and have never been a runner! why start now??? )
                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                2. Eat to heal
                3. Move to live
                4. Embrace today
                5. Live with intention
                6. Respect my body
                7. Cultivate joy
                8. Find my passion

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  What was your activity like back in October?
                  Originally posted by tomi View Post
                  Patience is tough when we are looking for results! Hang in there..........

On the activity level - I remember when you were dropping all that weight you were also training very hard. Daily runs to prepare for the 1/2. If I recall - you were not lifting at that time - just running daily. Could be wrong - you know better than I! but I do remember thinking - Man! Jenn is having so much success with her weight loss because she is running her arse off! made me want to take up running - but not enough to actually go do it! (in my defense - I am 53 and have never been a runner! why start now??? )
                  I was running 3 days per week - and parked my ass on non run days. I'm still running the same amount. Prior to October 15, I had done a 48 day Whole30.

Comment

• boy - it sure sounded like you were running nearly every day! So --- now I can really understand your frustration with the go 'round! Why don't we get the same results when the conditions are the same? Makes no sense! I guess that's why we're always "tweaking" things.
                    2. Eat to heal
                    3. Move to live
                    4. Embrace today
                    5. Live with intention
                    6. Respect my body
                    7. Cultivate joy
                    8. Find my passion

Comment

• I don't know what the deal is but my skin is soooo incredibly dry right now. I've been slathering on the coconut oil (when at home) and baby lotion (when at work). My face and hands are terrible. Hands have that burning itchy chapped feeling. Lotion burns a bit when I put it on. I don't know if I should blame the weather or gut health at this point. I just know it sucks...

I read recently that the skin is the last to get nutrients and moisture b/c other things take priority and when you get the gut health in check, the body will finally start sharing its nutrients with the skin. Makes sense to me. Just wish I could remember where I read it. Probably going to need to bring some coconut oil into work to have on hand for just these situations.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        I don't know what the deal is but my skin is soooo incredibly dry right now. I've been slathering on the coconut oil (when at home) and baby lotion (when at work). My face and hands are terrible. Hands have that burning itchy chapped feeling. Lotion burns a bit when I put it on. I don't know if I should blame the weather or gut health at this point. I just know it sucks...

I read recently that the skin is the last to get nutrients and moisture b/c other things take priority and when you get the gut health in check, the body will finally start sharing its nutrients with the skin. Makes sense to me. Just wish I could remember where I read it. Probably going to need to bring some coconut oil into work to have on hand for just these situations.

Dry skin is an itchy nightmare, especially in your cold climate. I remember it was an ongoing problem for me when we lived in Colorado. Some of these look good:6 Nourishing Face Creams for Dry Winter Skin | RealSimple.com

Comment

• I've used this and it works great Amazon.com: Atopalm Intensive Moisturizing Cream, 3.4 fl. Ounce: Beauty

Comment

• Presently, I just use coconut oil. It works really well, but needs to be reapplied frequently.

Good gravy - holy cold thermogenesis folks!! Holy shit it's cold in this office today. I'm sitting here on the verge of shivering.

I was folding clothes last night and came across Brady's shirt from the micromarathon we did in September. I asked him if he wanted to do it again this year. He said yes, but he wants to do the mile this time. Brad chimes in and says "maybe I'll do it with you, Bud. Would you like that?" Brady, of course, said yes. So then I said "Maybe we could all do it?" Brady thought Makenna needed to start with the 1/4 mile race though. It was too cute. And I'm so excited! I hope Brad was serious about running it with him. I would LOVE for Brad to become a runner too. I may have pushed the envelope too far when I said "Why don't you sign up for the 5k, hun?" He looked at me like I was nuts.

But this isn't the first time Brad has mentioned wanting to attempt running. He mentioned before we started our Whole30 that he'd love to pick up running a little. He mentioned jogging a block here and there to see what he thinks. I'd LOVE to go out with him and encourage him. It would be a great pasttime for us to do together.

Liking the new fitbit pretty well. It's got some quirks, but I don't think there's a product anywhere on the market that doesn't have some. And since the technology is still rather new, I would expect some bugs to need repaired and improvements to be rolled out over time. Growing pains, if you will. For now, it does what I want and I'm happy with it.

I got a call from Brady's teacher. She's concerned that she's noticed a lack of focus from him over the last two weeks. I gotta figure out what has changed over the last two weeks and see if we can fix it. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Time to brush up on my Google-Fu. She said he's not causing trouble or anything, just not focusing or putting a full effort into his work, and that concerns her b/c she says he's a bright kid and as they move along, things will get harder and she doesn't want his lack of focus to interfere with his ability to learn the work, resulting in him falling behind. She said they did an assessment the other day and Brady was right there at the top, and she doesn't want that to change and is fearful that if his focus doesn't get reigned in, he'll start to fall down the scale. She's sending home a sheet for me to take some notes on that she'll compare with her notes on the same type of sheet and see if we're seeing the same issues between the two locations that might help us find a solution. For now, when he's got work to do, she said she'll give him the incentive to get it done well and have free time to draw since drawing is something he really focuses on. She may also move him as she said the activity that happens in the hallway distracts him a lot - like when someone walks by the classroom. For now we're in a wait and see what happens over the next week or so and go from there. *sigh* I'm fearful I'll be having these conversations with every one of his teachers from now until graduation unless I put him on meds and I do NOT want to do that... So, time to do some google studying.

Comment

• Try not to worry about meds. He's young, I'm sure it's pretty common for kids to go through periods of inattentiveness. Focus on the week to week right now! Besides, as you know from your own experience, meds are not the only answer to mental things .
                              Depression Lies

Comment

• That's very encouraging about Brad! Wouldn't it be fun to have that new hobby for the 2 of you - or even the entire family in the future? What a picture to see the 4 of you running together!
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion

Comment

Working...
                                X