No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree...keep it!!! Let the fond memories of it being your grandmothers override the drama "they" have made it into. Her memories are much more valuable!!

I sympathize about family drama. My mil is still being a pain...& it's all about the drama for her!! *sigh*
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Jenn, I can relate to your family drama. When my dad died we (me and 5 sisters) went over to his house and put our names on things we wanted. This process went smoothly as we were clear, there was nothing there worth fighting over . I put my name on a set of 3 ships he had. I wanted to give them to my son as he shared the same birthday as my dad.

The next weekend we had the grand kids come to my dad's to choose things they wanted. My children were not there as 2 lived in San Diego and one was in another city going to college.

Two of my nieces fought over the ships I had chosen. When I said I had already claimed them they got nasty. Saying we should divide them. A few of my sisters agreed with my nieces. I told them I had chosen them for my son because of the birthdays.

One niece said that was unfair and if T wanted them he should have been there to claim them.She couldn't see how much she had already gotten simply by living close to her grandfather. Or how much my kids missed living so far way.

I walked away and went back to cleaning. After thinking about it, I decided I wanted nothing to do with any of it,and since my kids weren't there, got in my car and left. My sister came by later trying to convince me to take the things I had initially wanted. I told her I refuse to fight over Dad's stuff, they could have it all.

To this day, I have no clue what happened with those ships.

Comment

• It totally sucks.

But you're right. I'm going to keep it and I'm going to enjoy it.

I posted on Facebook "I resent you for planting the seeds of guilt and turning a beautiful thing ugly." And then I went in to see Dr. Lake. I cried real tears as she was working on my arm. I don't know if it was out of physical pain or emotional pain, but I left there feeling better and reassured that the hutch was in the right place. I know Grandma would rather it be placed where it can be seen by all and not set on some porch soaking up cigarette smoke.

I just need to remember that if it weren't for Sister dating Boyfriend, Sister would have never wanted that piece.

Oh shoot! I forgot to post a pic of it. I'll do that right now.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• 1390340959474.jpg
          This is it up close.

1390340999067.jpg
          Shot of all the dishes washed and returned to their home.

1390341123824.jpg
          A shot of the knobs I have to find some replacements for. I found some online for about $3 each. Just gotta find a way to match the stain.

1390341182600.jpg
          And finally, the beautiful quarter cut oak. I think it's white oak but I'm not entirely sure.

1390341258437.jpg
          And this is what it looks like in my dining room.

Comment

• PS, my table has two leaves to it, so it won't ALWAYS be dwarfed by the sideboard/buffet/hutch/whatever you call it.

Comment

• Jenn - that is absolutely beautiful - and fits perfectly in that space. Keep it and love it! Pass it on to your kids one day.
              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
              2. Eat to heal
              3. Move to live
              4. Embrace today
              5. Live with intention
              6. Respect my body
              7. Cultivate joy
              8. Find my passion
              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Perfect. Meant to be yours. Suck it Sis.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• That's a beautiful piece. mMy you get much enjoyment from it over the years, and may the drama someday turn into a funny,eye-rolling story about how crazy your relatives are.

Comment

• Beautiful!! Your grandma is smiling down on you! It's where it's supposed to be, where it will be loved & appreciated!!
                    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I love it. It's home.

Comment

• Thanks guys. I was able to look at it and appreciate it last night after your encouragement that I should keep it. There was a second piece out in a shed that we discovered in our explorations that day that is in desperate need of refinishing. After this all blows over, if the piece is still around (I'm sure it will be) I'll ask if I can restore it. Maybe at that time, I'll offer one of the pieces to my sister (provided stepmom and Dad let me keep it after I restore it).

hahaha there's an ad on my screen for PrimalCon in Oxnard... this makes me laugh b/c I thought Oxnard was a made up place. I was watching Sam & Kat with the kids the other day and it was referencing a dictionary as the Oxnard Dictionary (instead of Oxford). The girls go to Oxnard to get a word added to the dictionary and while they wait to see the panel (which is very much Wizard of Oz like) they are offered some strawberries grown in Oxnard, which are supposed to be the most delicious strawberries ever b/c they're grown in Oxnard... the receptionist says "sometimes we call the Nard Berries." So to see that Oxnard really exists is just funny to me. I thought Oxnard was just a play on Oxford for the show. lol

I finally decided what kind of body monitor I wanted. I ordered a Fitbit Flex yesterday - in slate blue. It was $20 cheaper than the black one. It's "out for delivery" now, so by 1 it should be on my front steps. I'm so excited! I hope it's all it's hyped up to be. And I hope I don't have the problems of over-counted steps like everyone seems to complain about with it.

Arm still hurts from my fall - but I don't know if it's actually from the fall or from the work Dr. Lake did on it. Yesterday's appointment was the first time I have ever shed tears while she's worked on me. In any event, the arm is still not 100% - I would say it's about 75%. Pushing hurts, pulling is ok. Going to attempt the gym today - going to try to run. If running doesn't work, I'll ride the bike the rest of the time or something. I need to get 3 days in at least to meet the requirements of my Gym-Pact. It'd be much nicer if the Gym-Pact people would get back to me about suspending my pact for this week while I recover, but they're not, so I'm going to have to at least go to the gym for 30 minutes - even if I just stretch, I guess. (Gym-pact requires you to check in at the gym or use certain fitness related apps to confirm your workouts - fitbit is one of the pairable fitness devices, so on days when I don't make it to the gym, 10,000 steps will count as a workout). And honestly, I can't wait til this marathon is over... I'm ready to relax on the running a bit - not run so far all the time. I'm getting burned out by all these incredibly long runs.

Oh, and it's day 17 of the Whole30. I swear, this is the longest 30 days ever. lol

Comment

• So glad you decided to keep the hutch! It's beautiful and you deserve it!
                          My Leptin Reset Journey

Current BF%: 35
                          Goal BF%: 20-23

Comment

• Hi Jenn, I lurk here a fair amount. I wanted you to know that I think you are doing the right thing hanging on to the lovely hutch! It is in a good place and will be cared for and appreciated and the good memories will overcome the ugliness of the present. My husband is a carpenter and he says that looks like quarter sawn white oak to him - FWIW. Just let the nastiness slide off you like water off a ducks back and make an intentional thing of remembering all the special things about your Grandma etc. Bless you!
                            Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
                            Primal low: 186 lbs
                            Current weight: 221.4 lbs
                            Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Thanks Kalli and Coll. Coll, I thought it was quarter sawn white as well. I did some google searching and that's what I came up with.

Brad and I have discussed refinishing it. There are a couple of spots on the top that really stand out. Not sure what happened to the top, but one looks like a fingernail polish remover stain in a way. And there's wax - apparently really really old and really really adhered wax - on the top. I'd like to sand it down and redo the top only - but matching stain would be hard, so I'm thinking I'd have to restain the whole thing. I think I would definitely stick to the dark color. I don't know that it would look right any lighter. But that would be a major undertaking so it wouldn't happen for a while - like a couple of years at least. In the meantime, I'd like to get some new drawer pulls for it and get those stained and varnished - again, matching color would be tough.

Got my Fitbit! so excited. I learned Fitbit sells hot pink bands, so of course I ordered one. I am bummed that it counted 198 steps while I was driving to work though... I put out my feelers to the Fitbit society on Facebook to see what they think. I already have it set to dominant hand (which is supposed to reduce its sensitivity), and I drive with my left arm (fitbit is on my right), so I don't know what caused the steps - bumps, maybe? In any event, it's only 198 steps... I could take it off to walk to the bathroom and back once and make it up, I suppose. But I would like to see what I need to do to prevent the false steps from occuring at all.

I'm getting kind of discouraged with this Whole30. I haven't lost much weight at all. Last week I netted zero pounds lost, which is really unusual for me with Whole30. It might be time to start hacking. I suspect I'm eating too many nuts and possibly too much fruit, which means I'll have to increase protein and fat - moreso the fat. Brad, on the other hand, has lost 18.5 lbs in two weeks. His body is really responding to this.

I am SO excited for our taxes to be finished and our refund to be sent. I want to drop that huge chunk on that loan so we can get on the ball with our debt snowball again. Now that things seem to be back under control with our checkbook, I can start putting a few extra dollars toward that loan and get it paid off before November (if I make no extra payments, November is the expected payoff). Getting rid of that loan will free up $260 a month to sock at something else - probably a credit card or something. That loan is not our highest interest debt (at 8.15% - unsecured) but it is our highest payment that also has the lowest balance... so it'll be quick and easy to get rid of that. Not sure what I'll apply the extra money to. I had thought about our boat loan - it's got a small balance too, and could be paid off quickly as well, freeing up another $100 a month. Debt snowballs get me excited!

Talking to our HR department about 'buying' my military time and converting it to time as a civilian. It'll get me 2 years extra on my civilian time for retirement purposes. It won't get me any closer to retirement b/c my minimum retirement age is 57, but it'll grant me 27 years of service instead of 25... not sure if that'll amount to anything or not... maybe a bit extra in the retirement check?

Planning... it's so fun.

Comment

• Getting some drawer pulls (and extras) will give you an opportunity to practice the stain. It won't be the same on a larger surface area like the top, but it's something?

Re: Whole30, you are having improvement in your joints, yes? What about measurements? Fine-tuning is not a bad idea, but if you aren't going to stick with it, what's the point of doing it? That sounds harsh... What I mean is: what's your plan after the Whole30? Seems like dairy doesn't do you any favors...
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X