No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Same thing happens if you boil them for too long. I've had it happen to me three times when I've left them on the stove longer than usual. I don't use a food processor - I use a hand mixer to mash mine.

Day 3.

After two days I've dropped 5 lbs of (I assume) bloat. No idea what Brad's lost. He said he's going to wait out the month before weighing b/c right now he's so focused on weight loss and he wants to focus on how it makes him feel overall so that if the weight doesn't come off like he wants, he's not overly disappointed. I can respect that. But after my post on Facebook this morning, he's really interested in his current weight, so he might weigh tomorrow. Who knows.

I made mashed sweet potatoes last night. OMG delicious! I make mine with coconut oil and then sprinkle cinnamon on them if the mood strikes. Brad tried a baked sweet potato. You could tell he was trying hard not to gag or puke. He seriously has a problem with sweet potatoes. He thinks it's the texture. So... on to the next thing. Probably parsnips. I hear they taste rather potato-y.

I've been watching the cost of flights to New Mexico. I had heard if you buy your flights two weeks before your travel date, on a Wednesday, the price is lowest. I tested it. EEEEhhhhh... wrong. FOUR weeks out was the cheapest flight I found.

Our flight dates are 21-24 March, but since today is Wednesday, I checked the cost from Moline to El Paso 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks, 5 and 6 weeks out from today, then what it costs for our actual dates. This is what I found. Tasha, you might play with this as well since you'll be flying internationally soon.

1 week out: $433
    2 weeks out: $393
    3 weeks out: $333
    4 weeks out: $293 <--- DING DING DING. lol
    5 weeks out: $333
    6 weeks out: $333
    Buying today: $573

This is going from little airport to little airport, so if I fly out from a big airport, it might be cheaper. Nope, not cheaper. Both the local little airports have $293 for 4 weeks prior to flight (if purchased on a Wednesday). I'll check what it costs to purchase on a Thursday too, just for research sake... hell, I might do it for every day of the week and see which day brings me the cheapest price, but $293 is pretty good. I just need to save up the money before February 19th now... b/c if the trend I just analyzed is correct, that'll be the golden ticket day for our little airports.

Anyhow, the analytical part of my brain is all fired up now. I should probably go run to calm it down.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
      So... on to the next thing. Probably parsnips. I hear they taste rather potato-y.
      You have been misinformed. I do not find them to be potato-y at all, at least not when mashed/pureed. Perhaps if you made parsnip 'fries.' To me they are almost a cross between a carrot and a turnip - very sweet and awesome in their own way. On a side note, I have found that parsnips that are large/older can be very woody and you need to be very careful with this if mashing/pureeing them as the woody parts can get in the mash and are next to impossible to remove and thus ruin the whole thing.

Comment

• Hmmm parsnips and their woody parts...
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
          Hmmm parsnips and their woody parts...
          I hear it has an unpleasant mouthfeel though YMMV

Comment

• That's okay, I'll just cut them off.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pebbles67 View Post
              That's okay, I'll just cut them off.
              e31.jpg

Comment

• Bwahhaha

On flights: I bought our tickets to London months ago Hotel rooms too. We didn't want to wait and risk the flight costs going through the roof! I used Kayak.com and watched the recommendation thingy for when to buy over a couple of weeks. I checked just now and it looks like we got a good deal (but Hulky bought the tickets so I don't remember how much it was in the end).
                Depression Lies

Comment

• I set up a price alert on Kayak to let me know when the fare changes to El Paso. If it dips below $300, I'll be on it like stink on shit. Or do you prefer white on rice? hehehehe

Comment

• I make something I call sweet potato hash. I dice raw sweet potatoes, nuke them until al dente, then fry them in butter, with green onions, salt, pepper. I think frying them changes the texture so maybe Brad could/would handle them better.

Comment

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
                      I make something I call sweet potato hash. I dice raw sweet potatoes, nuke them until al dente, then fry them in butter, with green onions, salt, pepper. I think frying them changes the texture so maybe Brad could/would handle them better.
                      I make hash browns similarly to Marcadav, but without nuking them first; I just fry them in ghee. They come out like regular potato hash browns (although they taste a lot better!), crispy parts mixed with softer bits. The more you cook them, the crispier they get. Nuking first would shorten the frying time... thanks for the idea, M!

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                        The hard part will be feeding the kids while we're both doing this. I don't want to completely up-end the kids' menus, thus limiting what they'll actually eat,...
                        Why not? The kids have your genetics. If they eat the things that give you problems, in twenty years they will be having the problems you are having now, if not sooner. Why set them up for that? They are young enough now that any agonies of making the change will be over quickly. And the positive results might last a (long) lifetime.

Comment

• a note on sweet potatoes........... If you lather them up with coconut oil and bake them (uncovered, not in foil) in the oven the flesh comes out silky smooth - and they taste better than nuking them. Maybe Brad would enjoy them without the grainy-ness caused by the microwave?
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Tomi, that's the first way he tried them. Hated the texture.

Comment

• bummer........... how can you not love silky smooth sweet potato yumminess???? I just took 4 sweet potatoes and 4 big baked potatoes out of the oven. I love having them precooked and ready in the fridge!
                              1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                              2. Eat to heal
                              3. Move to live
                              4. Embrace today
                              5. Live with intention
                              6. Respect my body
                              7. Cultivate joy
                              8. Find my passion
                              9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I am talking with BodyMedia regarding a refund for my armband. I keep having connectivity issues with it. The connection between the armband and my phone keeps breaking, requiring me to unpair the device from my phone, plug it into the computer, wait for an upload to take place, then reactivate it, shut down my phone for 1 minute, then power my phone back up and do a bluetooth scan to find it, then re-pair them... This may not seem like a big deal but it's happening almost weekly and it's a time consuming process. Last night it took an hour to finally get it to pair - I had to go through all the steps twice.

The app will occasionally not show me data even while paired, requiring me to plug the armband into my computer to resync it to the server so it'll pull the info into the app or some such shit... it's really becoming quite annoying.

I was looking at the Jawbone Up but someone pointed out the poor amazon reviews to me, so now I'm researching the Fitbit Flex. I asked BodyMedia for a refund so I could apply the refund to a Jawbone, but I think I'll just take the money and run. If they won't give me a refund and instead send me a new armband, I'll try to sell it on eBay and will then buy the Flex. But in reading a review comparing the Flex and the Up, I am drawn to the Up again... I guess if they'll give me an Up, I'll take the Up and deal with any difficulties arise. Maybe none will. If they do, I'll ask for a refund and get a Flex or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X