No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forgot to mention I'm tipping the scales at 191 lbs this morning. Up 25 total pounds. This makes me even more excited for the 21 Day Sugar Detox and the Whole30 that will ensue in a few days.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• I'm an Amazon whore. I'll do anything for money to shop at Amazon. Including completing a ton of research studies/surveys sent out by random companies looking for consumer input. I got invited to participate in these surveys somehow and have stuck with it and wracked up enough to get $50 in Amazon gift cards. One of the surveys I completed invited me to participate in further consumer dialog/research about mobile phones. For every formal discussion I participate in, I get 1 point. Each point is worth $2 at Amazon. I am so excited about this influx of Amazon cash! I see myself buying stuff I really don't need but want - like books.

Comment

• Grabbed a couple of Steno Pads - the notebooks with the spiral at the top - to keep track of the rest of my marathon training. I'll be using it in essence like the 90 day journal, but Mark's journal format wasn't exactly what I needed. A blank notebook should do the trick nicely. My current challenge will be 96 days long and will fully engulf the marathon and all of it's remaining training. I plan to follow whole30 the entire time. I have my best half marathons when following Whole30.

I'll keep track of it in this notebook. Distance run, how it went, nutrition for the day (not quantities, but what I ate), weight, and how I'm feeling overall. Tired, happy, sad, lethargic, sore anywhere, etc. I'll make a few notes each day as well. I think it'll be easier to weed through that when reviewing my training than it is to weed through and online format - either here or MFP or elsewhere.

Made myself go out for a run. Was planning to knock out 4 miles, but 3 was all I could do. Peroneal nerve pain made its presence very well known. I can't wait til this is resolved! Hurry up Paleo! Fix this crap! Of course, I don't expect results after 1 day, but it sure would be nice.

Comment

• Scale said 188 this morning, so already lost 3 lbs. Score.

Yesterday, Day 1, was a good day. I stayed on plan, I ran/walked 3 miles, and I kept my hands out of the Christmas candy (my mom makes homemade candies - toffee bars, caramels, chocolate covered stuffs like caramel, chocolate cream, etc). Keeping my hands off the caramels was a feat that took a LOT of will power b/c I absolutely LOVE her caramels. The ones in the stores taste like plastic compared to hers.

I started getting a headache last night and it's lingered into this morning now. Kind of annoying but not overly painful yet. Probably a 2 or a 3 on the scale. Noticable but not yet bothersome.

No exercise planned for today. Planning to run 13 miles this weekend at some point - hopefully tomorrow when it's 38 degrees out instead of Sunday when it drops back down to 22. Next week will be a super cold one. We have one day that will be 4 degrees. Then it jumps back up to 30 on Saturday. Today is going to be 36 so I'm going to be itching to get outside - spring fever, for me, hits anytime the temp melts snow.

I found a low carb grainless mac & cheese recipe we plan to try - probably tonight. I'll pair it with some pork/venison burgers cooked in bacon grease or something. Or maybe not... I think burgers and fries sounds like a good Friday night meal and I already have everything at home for it. Going simple tonight.

Comment

• Yeah for a drop of 3 pounds! and kudos for staying out of the caramels! I'm starting fresh today
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Currently reading: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...s-05-03839.pdf

Gluten sensitivity is now a recognizable medical "condition" - not yet testable, but recognizable by the NIH.

Comment

• Ooh interesting article - thanks for sharing.

Um, after being totally side-tracked by that, what drew me here was the comment you made elsewhere about not knowing what to think about if/when you reach goal. Its really got me thinking. And it wasn't anything I had thought about before, mainly because I guess I never thought I would be able to. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a long way from goal, and I have been about this weight before and let it all go back on. But somehow I just feel that this time its different. I'm not impatient to be thin and actually I am much more focussed on being well and healthy. I don't think we'll ever be able to take our eye off the ball, we'll always be recovering sugar-burners, but hopefully in time, it will simply become habit the way we eat rather than a conscious choice to eat primal. I know one thing for sure, I don't want to worry about what to think when I'm at goal until I get there.

Comment

• Job interview today.

Comment

• Good luck!
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• I was really apprehensive for this job interview b/c I didn't feel I had interview worthy clothes... but, since gaining a bit of weight back, my clothes no longer hang off of me, so I guess that's a positive for gaining it back.

Then I was worried about not having appropriate shoes. Since it has gotten cold I have been wearing running shoes to work (greyish in color so not outwardly noticeable at first). Since losing weight, my heels no longer fit me and kind of clunk when I walk. So I was going to get new ones this weekend, but totally forgot while shopping. I had decided I was just going to wear my heels anyway, but then discovered my fast flats again.

Now I'm just nervous as hell b/c I don't know any of the interviewers and I'm afraid I'll leave out some important info that could impact my ability to get the job.

Oh well. It is what it is. It's 14 minutes til my interview time, so I better start heading for the elevator. I'll check in when it's done.

Comment

• Hoping it went well!
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion
                        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• GAWD I hate interviews. I have no idea how that went... I guess well, but whether or not it was good enough is questionable. They asked some loaded questions, like

1. Describe experience you have had with establishing and maintaining relationships that helped improve productivity. For this one I tried to bring in my education. The interviewers can't ask any questions for clarification or "lead" me to any answers, so I had to remember things I'd done and bring them to the table. I mentioned my Master's Degree and that it taught me how to use relationships with people to get tasks done - that having a relationship with people will sway them to do things you ask b/c they want to do them for you, YOU being the motivator. Or, they want to do it b/c they like me, not b/c I work for the COL, although in some cases, using the COL as a motivator is also necessary. I didn't communicate it that well, I don't think, so we'll see if it got me anywhere... that was probably the hardest question.

2. Describe experience you have had with time management and shifting priorities and how you have overcome those challenges. I couldn't think of any work related experiences, although there have been plenty b/c most days I feel more like a firefighter than anything, so I explained how as a mom and a marathoner, there are constant prioritization demands in play. I want to run marathons so I have to prioritize training while also prioritizing my kids' needs as well as our family's financial needs because races are expensive. When I tried to also include something work related, the higher ranking interviewer told me the first example was actually pretty good - so thumbs up there.

One was about programs I use daily, one was about maintaining the calendars. There was a fifth question, but I don't remember right off hand what it was.

I was nervous and I think that nervousness and self-consciousness transferred directly into my voice and thought processes which prevented me from communicating effectively. And sadly, communication is a one of the job requirements... but I don't do well in those scenarios and unfortunately, the only way to get better at interviews is to interview more often, which won't happen where I'm at with so few job openings.

Ugh... oh well. If I didn't get it, no loss, really. I already have a job that is sufficient. It's not like I'm unemployed and in need of an income. I am comfortable with my job.

This job upstairs would be great b/c I'd be the secretary for, I think, 4 people, which would keep me uber busy... Basically, what I do now - but busier. But with that busy-ness comes a cost. She said that lunch breaks that would allow me to run pretty much aren't guaranteed, so I'd have to "shift priorities" there. Somedays it would be possible, but it didn't sound like it would be easily managed like it is here. She said that 8-430 for hours is acceptable (given daycare constraints). She also said that a reduction in force (RIF - layoffs due to budget cuts) is not in the plans, but given everything else militarily, plans are always subject to change as the demands change.

So, now I'm faced with a dillema... if I'm offered the job, do I take it and sacrifice my lunch break training runs knowing it will be next to impossible to fit them in anywhere else, or do I decline the job and keep my current position and my lunch break training runs? I guess that's something I'll have to talk to Brad about... but I honestly don't know when else I'd be able to fit in an hour of running and still be able to maintain things at home. Brad would have to start cooking. lol I guess I could pre-make everything on the weekends (i.e. put the meatloaf together, thaw and cut/precook the chicken for chicken scampi, etc) a la Well Fed, and then all Brad would have to do is toss stuff in the oven to cook. I think we could make it work - if we worked together. Of course, then sports seasons would interfere - Brad's racing, Brady's baseball, etc, etc, etc.

Ugh, it would be all too easy to just have a home gym - if only there was extra money available to make it happen.

Comment

• Tomorrow is Day 1 of my 90 Day Whole30. So today, by default, is the last ditch binge day where I get in all those foods I'm afraid I'll crave starting tomorrow. So, I had two donuts for breakfast, a hot chocolate, and now I'm sipping a Dr. Pepper - which is probably the worst of all sodas out there. Oh wait, there's no flame retardant in it, so maybe it's less bad. I plan to do some drinking tonight, but not sure what - probably wine and a couple shots of the Fireball Whiskey Brad got me for my birthday. He couldn't remember what wine I liked so he got me FB b/c that's what Melanie and I were doing for shots in Tennessee. I would have preferred the wine and that whiskey will probably sit in the pantry for 100 years next to the bottle of Southern Comfort that's been in there for 50. Dinner tonight will be Chicken Scampi b/c it'll be 90 days before I welcome dairy back into my life. Brad will be torqued if he doesn't get Chicken Scampi for 90 days... (I haven't exactly told him how long I'm doing this Whole30 for... hehehehe)

I finally got Brad to watch The Hunger Games and now he really wants to go see Catching Fire before it's out of theaters and he has to wait 6 months to catch it on pay per view. I can't tell how long our local theaters are keeping it though. The local cheap seats theater has it currently ($4 tickets FTW!!) but Brad says the seats are really narrow and being a bigger guy, he won't be comfy there. I can respect that... so we're looking for it in the multiplexes. In looking at the website for one of our theaters, they aren't showing it after tomorrow. And the theater closer to home (fewer screens) has already stopped showing it. Bummer. We could probably get someone to watch the kids tomorrow night - maybe. They have 4 showings. 11, 2:30, 6:30 and 10. I know the two earlier showings won't be possible b/c we'll be at MIL's watching the Outback Bowl. The later ones might be possible, but we'd need to find a sitter. Finding a sitter is always a PITA. We were hoping to hit the theaters for a matinee on Thursday or Friday (I took the rest of the week off).

My plan for Thursday and Friday is to spend a little bit of time with Brad, while taking advantage of the time the kids are in school/at daycare to purge some toys and make room for the stuff they just got for Christmas. Brad brought home a stack of boxes from work (BIG BOXES - like moving box sized) to put toys in to clear space. We'll either take the toys to the shelter or to Goodwill. Not sure yet - my preference is the shelter over Goodwill.

Ok, I guess I don't have anything but rambles today. I'm gonna go catch up on journals. Happy New Year's Eve and New Year everyone!

Comment

• Here's something interesting... Brad is having the kids collect toys they no longer want to keep to be given away - he decided to start them on it today instead of waiting til I did it later this week. He just sent me a text stating Brady has filled 3 boxes and Makenna has filled 1. This is bringing me some serious anxiety... Two things come to mind. 1. The kids will throw away a special toy by accident (something I know is special to them but they're neglecting to be mindful of that - especially Makenna b/c I don't think she realizes the toys will be gone for good), and 2. They are mostly likely missing some pieces when they put them in the box so we'll be giving away incomplete toys and/or I'll find pieces to a toy later that should have been put in the box that I will then have to throw away instead of some disadvantaged little boy or girl getting to play with it with the rest of the toy they got.

What I REALLY think the problem is, is that I don't have control over what's happening at home. I have no idea what's being put in the boxes and Brad doesn't care. I really wish I could be at home to monitor what's going in the boxes... :S

Comment

• Maybe you and Brad can sift through the boxes together later, so you can tell him about your concerns & show him any toys that shouldn't have gone in there/were missing pieces. As for important toys... If it's lost, it's lost. It's just a toy and they are young (this is probably very insensitive of me as a non-parent), so they will get over it. You could also keep the boxes "in limbo", out of sight somewhere for a certain amount of time. If the kids don't ask after anyway, they're safe to go.

Happy New Year! I hope you can get out to see Catching Fire with Brad

SPOILER (highlight for text)
                                So the one thing that I totally forgot about from the books that I wish they'd put into the movies is Peeta losing his leg & Katniss needing hearing aids. I think they're doing a great job with the films so far, but cutting those things out isn't a minor oversight to me. I think it would have spoken worlds about the film creators if they'd given the main characters disabilities, even though it's not important to the plot. On another note, I'm really nervous about how they're going to handle Peeta for the last two movies (wonder how they're going to split up the last book).
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X