No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been cooking since I could reach the knobs for the stove (old stove, knobs were above the burners on the oven.) My first experiment was adding my own seasoning to the ramen and tossing the too salty packet. Ever since then, I've adapted and edited recipes as I go and made them up on the fly. I, too, have had the "That's awesome! Let's do it again," and "we'll see if I remember what I did first." I'm well known for looking at recipes and saying "well, we don't have this and we can't put that in there BUT..." and having it come out better than the original.
    Metaphorically throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks is what turns cooking into Science! With Food!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• I made green bean casserole for the potluck today. There is zero left over. I had someone ask for the recipe... I was hesitant to share it with him b/c most people are wishy washy when it comes to "abnormal" ingredients like *gasp* arrowroot powder, coconut flour, coconut oil and heavy cream. I sent it to him and he responded with "That is great! I am sure they are going to like it" (they being his boys who I guess are really picky and won't eat green beans or something like that - I have to admit. I wans't really listening that closely b/c when people ask for my paleo recipes, I go into a panic b/c again, people freak out about "abnormal" ingredients).

Anyhow, here is the recipe I used. I adapted two different recipes I found for GBC and used my own cream of mushroom soup.

Base:

Chopped fresh mushrooms (about 1/2 a pound)
      1/4 medium size onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (I used a mandolin at
      the 1.5 mm setting) - separate the rings
      1 cup milk (I used 2%)
      1/2 cup heavy cream
      Arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
      2-3 tablespoons of butter

Chop mushrooms and sauté with mushrooms in butter. Reduce heat to low when
      onions begin to get crispy.
      Push mushrooms and onions to one side of pan and tilt pan so the butter
      drains off the mushrooms.
      Add arrowroot powder (or cornstarch) to butter and mix til well blended and
      smooth. Should form a thin paste.
      Mix mushrooms and onions into the butter and starch paste.
      Add 1/2 cup milk, mixing well to ensure even thin texture. Bring heat up to
      medium-low to medium. When mixture starts to bubble, add remaining milk.
      Heat to bubbling again. Add cream. Allow to simmer on low til desired
      thickness is achieved. If this takes too long, you may add more starch, but
      only add a little bit - like a teaspoon at a time. If it thickens too much,
      it'll get very pasty - think rubber cement. If this happens, just add more
      milk to thin it out. Arrowroot can be tricky to work with at times.

Once sauce is the way you want it, add it to the beans. I did 5 cans of
      green beans. I prefer Butter Kernel or Green Giant brand b/c they're not
      mushy. Add only the amount of sauce you want. Rest can be placed in the
      fridge or discarded. There likely won't be much excess sauce.

French fried onions:

3/4 medium size onion, peeled and very thinly sliced (I used a mandolin at
      the 1.5 mm setting) - separate the rings
      1/4 cup coconut flour (regular flour would probably work as well - coconut
      flour gives the onions a slightly sweet taste like the French's brand of
      fried onions)
      1/4 cup arrowroot starch (0r cornstarch)
      1/2 cup milk
      1 cup coconut oil (sustains high heat without getting all smokey)

Mix coconut flour and arrowroot flour in bowl. Heat oil in skillet on medium
      heat.
      Dredge onions through milk and coat in flour mixture. Ensure they're
      completely covered.
      Shake off any excess flour and place in oil in small batches.
      Remove with slotted spoon or fork when browned and place on paper towel
      lined plate.

It's time consuming, but you can safely make the sauce early and store in
      fridge. Can also make the onions early and place in an air tight container.
      The original recipe that I adapted this from said you can store these at
      room temperature. I'm not sure about that, so fresh is best as refrigeration
      will make them a bit soggy - they'll lose their crispiness but still taste
      really good. It took me about an hour to do all this last night, while also
      making dinner and straightening the kitchen.

Here's a pic. It's not beautiful but it was pretty damn tasty. I think it's missing something - some depth of flavor - but I'm not sure what it is.
      20131120_110046.jpg
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• sounds very yummy! I can't wait to try this! My sweetie doesn't like GBC but I do. Now I can make a "diet" version all for my very own!! Thanks for sharing!!
        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Last night, Brad and I got a call. He had signed up to receive information on trips to Disney while he was at an auction last week. They called last night and offered us a discounted trip to Disney and Daytona. 7 days total. Accommodation costs would be $550, the rest on us (travel, food, etc). We would get a tour of the resort and after the tour we'd get 2 $100 passes to the Disney theme parks to offset the costs of park admission. We would have 18 months to use the trip. The tour would be a sales pitch to join the timeshare. We agreed to take the trip and gave them $500. Then I called my sister and asked her if she wanted to go with us (we were told we could take 11 people total and would upgrade to the condo for an extra $45 to house 10 - since 5 are kids, having beds wouldn't be a problem). She wanted to do it. SIL did not b/c she didn't want to miss 7 days of work.

FIL got the same call. So, we started to wonder about this, so I started googling the company. It seems that the organization did NOT lie to us. We were getting accommodations for a trip to Disney for $550 for 7 days. We were responsible for travel, food, taxes, etc. We would be required to take a tour of the facility and beat off the sales pitches. We would get 2 tickets to Disney. All of that checked out. The problems people had with it were that when something came up and they could no longer go, they had a hell of a time getting their money back. This concerned me, a little, b/c what if we needed to cancel? But, we don't so I wasn't overly concerned - but it nagged at the back of my brain.

Then I saw a review of the 'tours' and how some ended up being 3 hours long, some had to repeat tours, some were really pressured to buy into the timeshares, some were even "held hostage" until a manager could sign off on the slip indicating they'd done the tour while said manager was unavailable (in a meeting or not at work yet, or whatever). THIS is what turned us off.

Brad and I would be taking Brady and Makenna with us. As a married couple we both have to attend the tour. We would have to take our kids on the tour. Our kids would want to see Mickey, not a hot tub. It would be nightmarish.

So I called today to cancel. I told her that after we got off the phone we realized right now isn't the right time for us financially to give out $500. She offered to cut the costs in half yet again and I still declined stating that we're not in the right place for it right now. She accepted that and agreed to cancel our transaction, telling me that no money would be drawn from our account. So, I'm watching my checking account like a hawk right now. There's still a hold for the money in place, but the credit union says it will expire tomorrow at 0800. I asked for a cancellation number, but the girl said that since my card hadn't been charged yet, there was no cancellation number to provide - because the transaction had not yet gone through, there was nothing generated to say this has been cancelled - our number is simply no longer in the transaction queue and that if the money had already come out of our account, and then cancelled, a cancellation number would be generated at that time. She assured me that I will not be charged.

I was so anxious about the difficulty I'd have getting the transaction cancelled after reading some BBB complaints last night that I couldn't sleep. I ended up taking an Ativan to help. I finally dozed off about 1 am. And I'm not sure why I was so anxious b/c it was a breeze to cancel. The gal didn't get snotty with me like the reviews said she does. She did get a bit frustrated when trying to explain to me why I couldn't get a cancellation number, but it dissolved quickly - I think it was more of a "I don't know how to explain this" kind of frustration.

Brad and I have a rule that we don't give out our financial info to people who call us and I don't know why we both ignored that rule last night. I think if we had gone, we would have gotten a hotel room for 7 days for $550. I believe that. And I believe we would have a great time. The hotel she said we'd be at was a 4 star hotel (based on the reviews people left on Google) and was right outside Animal Kingdom. It was a steal, honestly. But I'm not comfortable with the reviews on those tours. That was something I didn't really want to deal with - sales pressures, hostage situations, hassles, kids... nah. I think we'll just go to Disney the old fashioned way.

Comment

• Wow, so glad you dodged that one.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I have a friend who goes to Disney every year. She goes through a travel agent when she sets it up and does all kinds of crazy stuff - last time she swam with dolphins. I'm not sure we'd need to swim with dolphins, I think park activities would be enough. I just wonder how much she spends on her trips.

Comment

• 4 mile run today. Felt very off. I felt slow and heavy and weak. I never found my "rhythm". I know the run was "comfortable" based on breathing and pace was supposedly 10:54 per mile, but it just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere. And my feet got cold. 42 degrees is pushing it in vibrams. New shoes should be here tomorrow, so I'll head out in them on Saturday for 6 miles.

Comment

• Good luck with the new shoes

Comment

• I submitted a proposal to proofread and edit a book written by an 11 year old. I hope I get the job.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                      I submitted a proposal to proofread and edit a book written by an 11 year old. I hope I get the job.
                      I hope it is better the Eragon.

Comment

• who knows. Her parent - who posted the ad - of course things she's a gifted writer for her age. I offered to proofread and edit *kindly* so as not to shatter her 11 year old self esteem for $100.

I put in for two other jobs too that are beta reader related. One is looking simply for misspellings - misspellings stick out like a sore thumb to me, so I think I'd be a good one to read his/her book. We'll see if I get any invites. I hope I do. Gotta pay for that marathon and that Disney vacation somehow! lol

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                          I hope it is better the Eragon.
                          hahahaha Man, those books stole from so many others.
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                            hahahaha Man, those books stole from so many others.
                            Yup, but but but he's 12! (or 14 or wtf ever. Who cares? Crap at any age is crap.)

Comment

• Sinuses are kicking my ass! Snot is "normal" color, so I don't think there's an infection - just build up - again. Using the netipot and Omnaris but don't feel like I'm really getting anywhere with it. Really hoping to avoid the dr. I'd like to beat this on my own.

Brady has been experiencing some headaches since his last head injury. In September, he slipped at school and hit his head on the floor. He had quite the goose-egg. He showed signs of concussion but I didn't take him to the dr b/c all they'd do is a CT scan and say "yep, possible concussion - he'll be fine," and then charge me $5,000 for it... he's had two or three major headaches since then - migrane grade that caused vomiting and exhaustion. He'd take a nap and wake up feeling fine. So, I emailed our dr yesterday. She thinks possible "Post-Concussion Syndrome" which is said to occur for up to 3-5 months after a possible concussion and there's really nothing you can do except wait it out, treat for the pain and monitor their frequency. So, we're going to be keeping track of his headaches and if they start to come more frequently or wake him up, we're supposed to call her.

I'm thinking about switching to a lower carb method - i.e. Primal the RIGHT way. I'm not talking going VLC or anything like that, just dropping the starches and cutting back on the total number of carbs I eat. It's getting out of hand. But I won't start that til after Thanksgiving is over b/c there are just too many good high carb food items. I think I'll do that and keep dairy around for a while to see what I can get done. I'll do this between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm going to monitor how it affects my marathon training. I know it can be done - running low carb - but I want to monitor how it makes me feel. I love running fasted b/c I find that energy surge when I burn up all my glycogen stores - but recently I've had enough carbs to keep a horse running for hours, so no mega surge for me in recent weeks. And I'm gaining weight hand over fist, so it's time to change it up again. After Christmas, I'll probably do a Whole30 again.

12 days til I go to Tennessee!! So excited to see my friend again. It's been almost 3 years.

Comment

• You got a lot going on, girl~

Get some Kill Everything Tea!!!
                                1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                                2. Eat to heal
                                3. Move to live
                                4. Embrace today
                                5. Live with intention
                                6. Respect my body
                                7. Cultivate joy
                                8. Find my passion
                                9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

Working...
                                X