No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year we did no kids at all and we still had 100 people show up. There was one infant that attended, but he was just a few days old, and a first child, so of course there was no leaving him with a sitter.

We talked about having a babysitting service, but nothing came of it ultimately b/c no one knew how to approach it or who to have babysit.

We meet again on Friday to discuss what we're going to do. Hopefully we can come to an agreement without blowing two hours on it.

Today we're having a hot dog and baked goods fundraiser. Over the lunch hour we'll have a couple of tables set up with baked goodies and crockpots with hot dogs for people to grab and drop a bit of cash for. Thursday is a REALLY busy meeting day so a lot of people don't have much of a lunch hour (like maybe 15 minutes) so a quick grab and go lunch will work well for most today. I have to take a poll of who brought what tho. We were very disorganized with this and I have no idea what we have. I personally brought my crock pot, 4 packs of hot dogs, 4 packs of buns, 9 dozen cookies (3 of those dozen are gluten free - Pamela's baking mix - so freaking good!!) and 1 dozen brownies. Luckily, the commissary is just down the road and most of our committee members are military so they can just pop in for last minute stuff if we need it. I plan to buy some of the gluten free cookies.

I didn't weigh today. My legs feel better. My mood is still kind of tanked. I'll take my supps and see if that helps at all. Maybe I need some vitamin D.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• So, just for shits and grins, I signed up at healthcare.gov to see what the plans were like in comparison to what I have now... Yikes. They're expensive... the cheapest one that was comparable to what we have now was $500 a month with a large out of pocket cost - like $6,000 I think... for 4 people.

I was shocked and started to understand why people were so pissed off... then I remembered that the US Government pays 80% of my current insurance costs as a benefit of employment... so, if I took my $280 a month premium and added the 80% back on, I realized that the ACA plans are WAY less expensive. Being an employee of the US Government, I save over $800 a month on health insurance for the whole family.

When people are comparing the costs of these new insurance policies, I don't think they're taking into consideration that MOST people get insurance provided at a huge discount from their employer... and those who don't get insurance from their employer and are looking at getting insurance through ACA are failing to realize just how expensive private person insurance is currently. My sister pays $500 a month for JUST HERSELF, NOT her kids too (they're covered by their dad's employer provided insurance as part of the divorce decree). So $500 for my ENTIRE family per month compared to the $500 she's paying for her self right now is a STEAL.

I understand that there are some people out there who don't have insurance now and are being forced to buy it and can't afford it. That part of it sucks... Stay at home moms with no insurance who are now being forced to buy insurance are certainly in a pickle... and I don't have a solution to that... people who live paycheck to paycheck who have no insurance through their employer are now forced to buy insurance, and that certainly sucks... but they ALSO have medicaid/medicare available for those people who can't afford insurance. I went through the application process for the "free" insurance too, only to be told that Brad and I make too much money (I knew this, but I thought I'd go through the whole process so I understood all aspects of it).

While I think there will be financial hardship for some and it's unfair to force someone to pay for something they can't afford, there are programs out there for those who 'qualify'.

So, I'm not convinced yet that this is a bad deal. I still think it'll help so many people who are in desperate need for it. More personally, it'll help US by eliminating the cap on our coverages. I had an insurance policy once that had a $2 million lifetime benefit cap... I was terrified of what would happen if I ever got cancer... I'd use up that $2 million in a heartbeat and be out of insurance for the remainder of my life, which would be short if I couldn't treat the cancer.

My insurance was already proactive about preventive care and didn't charge for well-woman checks, well-baby checks, and preventive physicals of that nature, so all that stuff was already co-payment free for me, but for others it wasn't, and now I imagine more women will get their pap smears and mammograms than did previously, helping us to catch those cancers earlier and prevent deaths.

With the prevented deaths comes a cost too, and I'm well aware of that. We experienced that surge in saved lives with the introduction of medicare too and that alone produced a cost we didn't anticipate (longer lives means more money spent on health care)... while I think we're not out of the woods yet with this whole health care thing, I really do think it'll be a good thing in the long run for the American public. I truly do.

I still think taxing people/fining people for opting out of insurance is a bad idea... if they want to die b/c they can't afford/won't pay for health insurance, so be it... BUT, the government did make it so medicare would be available to more people as a result... so, I say apply for the medicare...

I don't know. Maybe I don't know enough about it, but I really don't think it's going to be the debacle so many people are making it out to be. But then again, maybe I only feel that way b/c my insurance already met the requirements and the costs didn't go up... maybe I'm just ignorant to the issues.

I didn't post this here to start a debate... I'm just airing my thoughts on it. I figured this was a safer place than say Facebook.
      Last edited by jenn26point2; 11-14-2013, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• Our hot dog and bake sale thing is doing really well! We didn't expect to pull very good numbers b/c the event was last minute and very disorganized - no one knew who was bringing what, etc - and we've already pulled in well over $100 from it. I couldn't believe it when the Major showed me the envelope and there were $20 bills in there!! I don't think someone donated $20 for a hot dog and bag of cookies, but there were still $20s in there, which was shocking.

Honestly, I only expected to get maybe $40 worth of pocket change out of this deal and people are stepping up for the cause (not that is a very worthy cause, but a cause just the same).

Every year we do the Holiday Party we get such poor support out of the troops (and some civilians) b/c they don't want to shell out the money for the dinner, etc, so the last thing we expected was to have such a great outpouring of support for our meager little bake sale used to raise money for the party.

We have a goal of raising at least $600 for the party. We want to give everyone who attends the party a gift - this year we're doing pint beer glasses with our organizational logo on it - which is a great keepsake for the soldiers who move on every two years - it's something they can take with them to remember their assignment here - and yet it's functional as well. That's going to cost us about $400. The extra $200 will provide gift cards for game winners. And anything we don't need for the prizes, we donate to charity (last year was the Wounded Warrior Project which is near and dear to many of our hearts and right here on post).

Anyway... all that to say I'm shocked we're having such a successful last minute bake sale. Really really shocked. And very pleased.

Comment

• I am shoe shopping again... nothing gets me quite as stressed as shoe shopping. They're all so expensive! And I understand why... quality and what not, but seriously! The ones I am looking at are Gore-Tex so there's going to be an increase in price on those just for that reason... but $125??? SERIOUSLY!?!? For a minimalist, 0 drop trail runner, I have to pay $125??? That's bonkers.

They're even $120 on eBay!!

Comment

• I never thought I'd see the words "Vegan friendly" in reference to shoes. Merrell Crush Glove Dazzling Blue - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

By the way, I'm totally in love with the color of these shoes...

Comment

• So I found a pair of shoes I like and want... now I just have to convince myself that they're worth $100... maybe I'll tool around on their facebook page and see if I can find a coupon code or something...

Comment

• HOLY CRAP! The bake sale raised $216.75!!! WAY more than anticipated!

Tomorrow is "Jersey Day". Civilians and military are allowed to step out of the confines of the standard dress code and invited to wear sports attire to show allegiance to their favorite team. Each person is asked to donate $1 in return for the priviledge... how we word that is touchy b/c the government has rules against "soliciting" money from employees. We've received $43 from people wanting to wear jerseys tomorrow.

In our first day of fundraising, we raised $259.75... the minimum we need is $360. How awesome to be so close already!! (our overall goal is $600)

Comment

• Nice fundraising Jenn!

Comment

• Ok... so, I haven't told you all this, but I have gained 18 lbs since the end of September. That's 18 lbs in roughly 2 months...

My calories are within range. My carbs are a bit high, but they were high before I started gaining too.

6 of those 18 lbs were discovered after my last race - the 15.5 mile trail race that left me seriously hurting, so I think those 6 are strictly body repair inflammation related. Since 4 of them have recently fallen off, I'm inclined to believe that run is the cause for those (or maybe it was the gluten products I ate the day before/day of the race).

In any event, I've gained 14 lbs now (since losing 4).

I suspect with 99.99% certainty that the weight is all water weight b/c my calories have NOT been high enough to justify any real weight gain.

What in my life could be causing such a huge inflammation response? Well, that run was one of them, but I was already 12 lbs heavier before that. The Texas Roadhouse dinner full of beer and bread could be another, but again, I was already up 12 lbs prior to that meal.

I have been thinking about this a lot. The only things I added consistenly that were "out of the ordinary" during that time period is dairy and refined sugar (by way of Halloween candy and Milky Way Simply Caramel bars - those things are AMAZING!)

So, for the next two weeks, I'm going to cut out refined sugar and dairy. While I suspect sugar is partially to blame, I think dairy is the main culprit. Wait... our first thanksgiving is on the 24th... so I'll cut for a week for sure and see what happens.

A week isn't that long. I can do a week. Easy peasy. I'll weigh in before our Thanksgiving dinner to see where things are at weight wise and clothing fit wise (my jeans are tight). If there's a significant change, I'll know that dairy is indeed the problem, but like I said, I believe with 99.9% certainty, that dairy is my problem.

Comment

• Wow Jenn...sorry to hear that. It is frustrating isn't it? Trying to figure this all out. I gained 4 lbs in one day not long ago...of course it was inflammation... But from what? I pretty much eat the same thing over & over, with the occasional fall 'off plan'...was it a piece of bread...or a coke...that I consumed? Or whatever item I fell off the wagon over? I know it took me over a week to finally get over it & the scale to come back down...but yet other times I can eat badly for a whole week & only be up 2 lbs! Our bodies are very mysterious...& a little spooky!

Hope you figure it out. (((Hugs)))
                      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I understand a sudden weight gain - and the confusion it causes!!! I gained 10 pounds over 6 weeks. And I'm pretty sure it was all the cashews I was snacking on. Sometimes we do it to ourselves and swallowing the blame is a tough one!! At least it is for me! I want to find some "other" cause for the weigh gain. But - it is what it is. You'll get it off again - you have all the tools you need and you know how to use them

I have complete confidence in you!
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion
                        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I discovered that switching from a Sugar Burner to a Fat Burner not only allowed me to lose a lot of weight but it made me THAT much more sensitive to even small amounts of Sugar. Meaning that I would gain rather quickly if I "indulged" for a few days but the great thing is that my Body and Mind are now seemingly accustomed to the Primal Lifestyle so those added pounds come off easily and rather quickly when I get back to it.
                          52 year old Male
                          Goal: 185lbs
                          April 10th: 220lbs

Comment

• Thanks, PaleoPenn. I hadn't thought about that. I had sugar on my mind as a culprit as well but am definitely focusing on dairy as the main problem.

I'm in my second day without dairy and already I feel the difference. My ring is loose again and I don't feel bloated.

It's funny. Whenever a new person pops into my journal I feel embarrassed by all the things they may have read. It's one thing to say all the things I have to people who have been reading my journal for months or who I've been following myself. It's a completely different feeling when a new person comes around. It's all good though. At least a new friend knows what they're getting themselves into.

Comment

• So, um guys... haha... I signed up for a marathon today. It's in March. March 23rd. At White Sands Missle Range in New Mexico... I'll let you Google the race and see what I've gotten myself into. lol

Shit just got serious! It's time to take the 'diet' seriously and get back in the game. I've got 26.2 miles to train for. I'm finally going to earn my username!

PS Canio, I'll be in your area of the world!

Comment

• I have absolutely no doubts in my mind whatsoever that you have got this in the bag, Jenn!
                                Depression Lies

Comment

Working...
                                X