No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was a thrilling recap. It almost makes me want to run. Congrats.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• still playing with the couch to 5k thing.............. you and Tasha have me inspired!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
        Congrats on the half marathon! That's amazing your able to walk today! We saw so many kids that had to be carried off the field at the cross country meet, it blew my mind.

Question about running. Is it typically for cross country runners to take short strides when they run? Tristan kind of looked awkward to me with her long legs taking such short strides at the meet. She said that unless she is running uphill, it hurts to open up her stride on flat surfaces. She told me her legs start to hurt from the ankle to her knees and also in the upper outer thigh area. Any advice?
        Short frequent steps are recommended by every running coach and physical therapist out there. Less time on the ground = less strain on the body. She is likely suffering from ITBS. Google how to treat - requires a foam roller and is incredibly painful, but oh so worth it to make that sheath of connective tissues happy. Specific stretches target this area too. Runner's World & Running Times | Runner's World can be very helpful here.

Also, shoes and running surface will play a large role in this as well. Does she race on a different surface than she trains on? This could be a big part of it - for instance, if she trains on streets and races on trails or grass lands. She needs to train on a surface like what she races on. If her shoes are wrong for her step, gait, and pronation, she could continue to have problems as well. I haven't had ANY of the typical running injuries (aside from overuse tendonitis - which is my fault, not my footwear's fault) since switching to vibrams. Not sure if her school allows the students to run in them or not.

But definitely look into ITBS. That's what it sounds like to me - having been there before. It sucks very much bad if it goes untreated.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• If you're saying short frequent steps are what is needed, then she's doing that right. She runs on all types ground, pavement, trails, grass/dirt/gravel. Her coach is anti-Vibram. I had her try running in mine and she hated it. She doesn't feel like they grip well at all. Hills are where she can really open up her stride.
          Georgette

Comment

• Congratulations, Jenn. what a great race. you won in so many ways!
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012
            Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
            Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• I got some more information out of Tristan. It's primarily the bottoms of her feet that hurt. She says pavement is the most painful(she hates running track), but grass and turf does not hut at all.
              Georgette

Comment

• Wonderful, exciting recap!!! I loved it & the pictures too! You should be soooo proud of yourself! I'm proud of you!! You are an inspiration! Mega congrats!
                Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Originally posted by geostump View Post
                  If you're saying short frequent steps are what is needed, then she's doing that right. She runs on all types ground, pavement, trails, grass/dirt/gravel. Her coach is anti-Vibram. I had her try running in mine and she hated it. She doesn't feel like they grip well at all. Hills are where she can really open up her stride.
                  Weird that she doesn't think they grip...

Anywho, if her coach is anti vibrams and she's anti vibrams, then I'd recommend a merrell type shoe.

And regarding her pains, she needs to see her coach. He's supposed to keep her injury free so she needs to make sure he's aware of them and require that he give her whatever advice to fix the problem. Again, could be an improper shoe thing. Could be a nutrition thing. Could be a surface thing. For me, it's always been shoe and nutrition.

Comment

• I'm taking her after the first of the year to get properly fitted for a running shoe. I cant afford a good running shoe until then. Coach told us to find something that has a thick sole and soft spikes for the first year runners. Next year, her race shoes will have spikes in them. She doesn't have practice tonight, middle schoolers are off tonight. I will talk with her about talking to her coach tomorrow.
                    Georgette

Comment

• I have enjoyed your journal. Good to see someone has journaled for as long as you have. How is the Whole 30 going? I'm on Day 17. I started reading this in preparation for when the W30 is done.

Comment

• So I'm still so freaking high over this half marathon on Sunday. I'm super stoked for the race on the 22nd. The BEST part of this whole experience is how awesome my body still feels after the race. Seriously, in previous races, I'd limp around for an entire week before the soreness, irritated injuries, etc, would lessen. This time there's literally NO PAIN! My muscles feel amazing! My joints are happy! Even my FEET are happier! I really expected some backlash from my feet but they feel really good! And the stiffness I was getting so used to is reduced. I got out of bed this morning and didn't feel like I was walking on stone feet/ankles. I got out of my car and could walk immediately!

Granted this improvement in my feet is probably related to the Whole30, but I'm only on Day 4 so I don't think that's entirely it. I think I just FINALLY got over that 'injury' I had. Things seem to be working so much better. I guess it could also be the supplements. I started taking MSM at PrimalCajun's suggestion (3000 mg daily) and tumeric (curcumin) based off of something I read online reference inflammation (95 mg daily), in addition to my cod liver oil. But I'm not consistent with the supplements - M-F is my only consistency there.

I'm feeling pretty amped up today - jittery and anxious - like I just ate a pound of sugar. Not sure what that's about. The only sugar I've had today came from a peach and some grapes.

OH HEY! I ran across this thing called the Paleo Project. A guy named Brooks did a Whole30 and found that being prepared was the hardest part. Not knowing what to make for dinner, not having the supplies necessary to make dinner, etc, so he thought "how cool would it be to have a meal plan for every single day of the year?" Enter the Paleo Project. He's looking for 52 people to volunteer 7 dinner recipes and 2 breakfast recipes to be compiled in a collection, that he will then share with all 52 participants. You'd get an entire year of recipes for FREE! No more thinking, just do. With the collection comes a shopping list for each week. So for instance, my 9 recipes (7 dinners, 2 breakfasts) would include a shopping list for all the things you'd need to make the recipes I submitted for that week. TOTALLY COOL! The best part is that the recipes don't have to be ORIGINAL recipes, you can totally steal your faves from the web, cookbooks, blogs, wherever b/c there's no legalities behind it b/c the collection is FREE! It'd be like a recipe swap among friends.

I'm IN! I'm working on my recipes now. Here's the link if you wanna jump on board: Paleo Project | Intrepid Pioneer

The deadline on the blog says 1 September, but he hasn't gotten much of a response from people, so he's extending it until he reaches his 52 people, or enough people to make it worth his time. I think this is an AWESOME idea and think everyone here should jump on board - especially those who struggle with sticking to Primal/Paleo. Someone else did the hard work for you, all you have to do is cook what they suggest. It'll create variety, simplicity and introduce us to so many new things, recipes, foods. DO IT!!!!

Last edited by jenn26point2; 09-04-2013, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mfultz0429 View Post
                          I have enjoyed your journal. Good to see someone has journaled for as long as you have. How is the Whole 30 going? I'm on Day 17. I started reading this in preparation for when the W30 is done.
                          Welcome! I hope you don't follow in my Post-whole30 footsteps... i tend to throw it all away when the whole30 is over. lol Glad you enjoyed my whining and ranting. So far, Day 4 and I'm doing well.

Comment

• Jenn, it's totally cool how you feel so great after your half marathon! I am sitting here smiling on your behalf!

Comment

• Got my 9 recipes compiled. Only like 3 are originals, rest are "adapted" or "stolen" from various sites on the interwebz. Just copying and pasting them and verifying the instructions made sense got me excited to make dinner/breakfast!

I can't encourage you all enough to join in on this. It really doesn't take that long to grab up 9 recipes. And the benefits will be awesome when you can just open a pdf file and know what is on tap for the week without any planning! I'm so excited!

Now to make the shopping list.

Comment

• I'm in! Going there now to sign up!! Sounds like an awesome idea. I agree with him... Being prepared ahead & having the things you need is the key I think...to doing the whole30 & beyond. I think thats what got me last year...not having some simple tasty recipes to go to. I was trying to work around hubby's eating...he's not primal at all! This time he's gonna have to work around me...whether he knows it or not! lol. Thanks for the link Jenn!!
                                Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

Working...
                                X