No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMI considers me borderline overweight. Depending on the day, measurements and body fat calcs put me as normal or athletic.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• The origins and limitations of BMI: The importance of waist circumference: Cut the Waist "The concept of BMI - a simple ratio of weight in relation to height, was the work of a Belgian statistician, Adolphe Quetelet who published his "Quetelet Index" in 1832. It is important to emphasise that Quetelet had no interest in studying obesity when he developed this index.

It was Quetelet's interest in applying probability calculus to human physical characteristics which led him to develop an index of relative weight. He used this index to study the growth of normal man, having established that during normal growth, weight tends to increase in relation to height in meters squared."

It's just a height/weight ratio and nothing more. It really says nothing about an individual's fitness level or health. It aggravates me whenever anyone uses BMI to draw a conclusion--that's just the media cherry-picking the words that make for sensational headlines, or doctors/researchers taking the easy way out.

Using BMI also makes skinny-fat people believe they're healthy. I have an acquaintance who's 5'8" and weighs 115. That makes her BMI 17.5, but all she eats is fast food. She can't lift 25 pounds, gets winded up one flight of stairs, and has a noticable belly/muffin top. But, oh, she's healthy, just ask her, her BMI is 17.5! Get real...

Comment

• I feel like body fat calculations would be more helpful than BMI. Calipers aren't perfect, but a doctor could do them. Makes more sense than just basic measurements. Hulky's neck implies that he should be a lot larger than he is.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
          The origins and limitations of BMI: The importance of waist circumference: Cut the Waist "The concept of BMI - a simple ratio of weight in relation to height, was the work of a Belgian statistician, Adolphe Quetelet who published his "Quetelet Index" in 1832. It is important to emphasise that Quetelet had no interest in studying obesity when he developed this index.

It was Quetelet's interest in applying probability calculus to human physical characteristics which led him to develop an index of relative weight. He used this index to study the growth of normal man, having established that during normal growth, weight tends to increase in relation to height in meters squared."

It's just a height/weight ratio and nothing more. It really says nothing about an individual's fitness level or health. It aggravates me whenever anyone uses BMI to draw a conclusion--that's just the media cherry-picking the words that make for sensational headlines, or doctors/researchers taking the easy way out.

Using BMI also makes skinny-fat people believe they're healthy. I have an acquaintance who's 5'8" and weighs 115. That makes her BMI 17.5, but all she eats is fast food. She can't lift 25 pounds, gets winded up one flight of stairs, and has a noticable belly/muffin top. But, oh, she's healthy, just ask her, her BMI is 17.5! Get real...
          +1
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Okay that clinches it for me - I'm throwing away that stupid BMI thingy I have been using as a guideline for the past 1000 years! I thought there was some real science and research behind the development that stupid chart. Now I know its really garbage! Thanks, Goldie! For releasing us ALL from the clutches of the labels made by a man who didn't know what he was creating!

From now on - OBESE is not longer a part of my vocabulary.
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
              Thanks, Goldie! For releasing us ALL from the clutches of the labels made by a man who didn't know what he was creating!

From now on - OBESE is not longer a part of my vocabulary.
              HA HA ha, you're very welcome! I'm a statistics geek, so things like using BMI just get my panties in a knot!

Good on you for removing that nasty word from your list!

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                Understand and agree...

maybe X-small, Small, Medium, Large, and X-large to replace underweight, healthy, overweight, obese, extremely obese? And who's to say that someone in the "healthy" category is REALLY healthy?
                That would work or catagories. Catagory 1 (equivalent of underweight) up to Catagory 6 (or whatever to mean walking mountain).

I am no where near Army weight standards. They want someone my height to be 163 or some such. I enlisted at 181 and made tape - barely. My neck screws me because it is not large. I had my body fat measured by my doctor the day before shipping out (electronically and with calipers) it was something like 16.7% and 17.2% or some such. Tape method put me at 25.8% due to my tiny ass neck. Max allowed to ship out was 26% and of course they do not care that the tape method is completely unreliable.

Comment

• When I say I'll be within Army standards, I mean body fat standards - I'll be borderline. I have NEVER made weight. Lowest Army measured weight was 144, 3 pounds over the max, straight out of training. I have been taped every single weigh in day of my Army career. I still use the tape test, but occasionally I'll use the electronic body fat scale at the gym. Of course, those are finicky - water consumption can change the results drastically, and it's hard to find a person who uses calipers properly.

Comment

When I say I'll be within Army standards, I mean body fat standards - I'll be borderline. I have NEVER made weight. Lowest Army measured weight was 144, 3 pounds over the max, straight out of training. I have been taped every single weigh in day of my Army career. I still use the tape test, but occasionally I'll use the electronic body fat scale at the gym. Of course, those are finicky - water consumption can change the results drastically, and it's hard to find a person who uses calipers properly.

Agreed. I just figured a doctor had a better chance of success (plus the two results were within 1%) than some annoyed Navy PO who did not want to be stuck at MEPS. My lowest weight was when I shipped out. I gained weight in basic though lost fat. My waist got smaller but so did my neck (damn it lol)

Comment

• You never learned the skill of making your neck fat?

Comment

• I know BMI isn't a great measurement for all of us to use in our daily lives... but it is a decent goal to get ourselves out of the "Obese" category IMO if for no other reason than all of our records are constantly being tagged with it and judged by it and used as statistics with that nomenclature.

If you have a medical problem and are "obese" on your medical file, that is going to weigh heavily on how the doctor thinks about you unfortunately. You become "an obese woman" or "an obese man" in their thinking... and it can change the way they treat you.

Do I think that BMI is particularly "meaningful"? No.
                        Even though I'm now simply "over weight", and one day I'll likely be in the "normal weight" range... I probably won't be as fit as many people who have more muscle mass and less fat and may tip over into the "over weight" range like my son did when he was playing football in high school. He was a work out addict. And BIG, damn teen testosterone was doing him all sorts of favors... and trying to keep him fed was nuts! LOL

But... I still think that it's a worthy goal marker to keep in mind if only to get the CW docs to shut their damned yaps.
                        Just my 2c.
                        “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
                        ~Friedrich Nietzsche
                        And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Comment

You never learned the skill of making your neck fat?
                          Oh, I know how to puff it out for the tape, but as to actually making it fatter while not getting a fatter waist...nope.

Comment

• Puffing was what I was referring to.

Comment

Puffing was what I was referring to.
                              Ah yes, a vital army skill.

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                                Ah yes, a vital army skill.
                                Nono, that's "fluff."
                                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                                My Latest Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X