My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Thanks, Jon. Someone on Facebook said that given my athletic stature, I likely left the obese category behind a long time ago but didn't know it b/c there's no official "athletic" BMI chart. She said BMI doesn't apply to athletic types b/c a body builder with 2% body fat would qualify as overweight or obese simply b/c it's figured using height vs weight, which is completely arbitrary. She's probably right (that I left it long ago) but it feels nice to be "officially" out of that category.
    She is right in a body fat % way meaning if obese means 30% (or whatever) you did leave it behind long ago, but the Army doctor I saw for my last physical explained it well. He said it is not so much just fat it is size. He said, "Look at Michael Clarke Duncan - he had next to no body fat, but he was huge. His BMI would be obese or higher. Sure, he wasn't fat but his body still needed to support and pump blood through all that mass. This could be a factor in why he died so young. So BMI is just an indicator; it gives us something to look at." (okay that was a paraphrase not a quote but you get the point).

Comment

• Canio, what you said just made me really sad because I like Vin Diesel and Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson and I don't want them to die young! Haha I'm a bit of a Hollywood nerd at times, what can I say ><
      Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by canio6 View Post
        Woot Woot! I look forward to that day myself. Congratulations.
        ditto!
        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
        2. Eat to heal
        3. Move to live
        4. Embrace today
        5. Live with intention
        6. Respect my body
        7. Cultivate joy
        8. Find my passion
        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
          Canio, what you said just made me really sad because I like Vin Diesel and Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson and I don't want them to die young! Haha I'm a bit of a Hollywood nerd at times, what can I say ><
          LOL I can understand that. And as the doctor said BMI is not everything but it is a place to start. And large people (be they fat or totally pumped up with muscle) tend to die younger, at least it seems that way.

Comment

• I think you have something there, Canio. If you look at who ends up living into the their 90s or even 100s they are normally slight built people. Never overweight.

I wonder if anyone has ever done a study on this................ (ok, I love research and data points!)
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Oh, and Jenn, I am not trying to detract from how awesome you are doing. Nor am I suggesting you will die young. You are definitely not obese in a fat sense. BMI just really used to annoy me until the doctor put it in that perspective. It was one of those, "Oh...that...huh...that kind of makes sense" kind of moments.

Comment

Oh, and Jenn, I am not trying to detract from how awesome you are doing. Nor am I suggesting you will die young. You are definitely not obese in a fat sense. BMI just really used to annoy me until the doctor put it in that perspective. It was one of those, "Oh...that...huh...that kind of makes sense" kind of moments.
                Yeah, me neither! Haha sorry I get side-tracked easily.

Jenn is awesome and healthy and will live forever. The end.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• Does Brady like jerky?

Comment

• I don't know. I don't like it, and Brad hasn't been purchasing it, so haven't had an opportunity to have him try it. He's not big on spicy - bbq sauce is too spicy for my kid... nevermind that I used to eat Buffalo Wild Wings like it was the only life sustaining substance on earth when I was pregnant with him. He used to eat spicy stuff as a wee pup, but now he's a pansy. lol

I'll probably do granola bars and cereal bars for the time being and work on expanding his palate a bit.
                    Primal since March 5, 2012
                    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• And, Canio, that makes perfect sense, but.......... the labels used are bad. So, if they're talking about mass and how hard the body has to work to pump blood all over it, they need to have two charts - one for blubbery big people and one for rock hard big people. For instance, overweight, obese, etc, for the non-athletic types (but I still hate those words) and fit, ripped and stacked for the athletic types.

Comment

And, Canio, that makes perfect sense, but.......... the labels used are bad. So, if they're talking about mass and how hard the body has to work to pump blood all over it, they need to have two charts - one for blubbery big people and one for rock hard big people. For instance, overweight, obese, etc, for the non-athletic types (but I still hate those words) and fit, ripped and stacked for the athletic types.
                        LOL. I agree, the labels are terrible. But two charts is also problematic because a body builder during bulking phase can have a good layer of fat then boom, they cut and are a 2%. Also some fat people have large amounts of muscle mass. They just need to make a single chart which is based on mass not composition of said mass.

Comment

• They have a single chart that is built around mass, not composition. It's call the BMI chart...

Comment

They have a single chart that is built around mass, not composition. It's call the BMI chart...
                            lol. wow, I should really read what I type sometimes. Sighs. It is going to be one of those days.

What I meant was a single chart but labelled correctly so that people with large mass of muscle are not called obese etc.

Comment

• that being said, I have 4 lbs to lose to be back within Army body weight standards (or 5 inches off my hips). I suspect the 4 lbs will come off sooner than the 5 inches...

Comment

lol. wow, I should really read what I type sometimes. Sighs. It is going to be one of those days.

What I meant was a single chart but labelled correctly so that people with large mass of muscle are not called obese etc.
                                Understand and agree...

maybe X-small, Small, Medium, Large, and X-large to replace underweight, healthy, overweight, obese, extremely obese? And who's to say that someone in the "healthy" category is REALLY healthy?

Comment

Working...
                                X