Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I was wondering the same thing... I haven't sent the bottles to you yet (completely forgot as they're buried behind stuff on my bathroom counter) and now I wonder if I should keep them and follow his recs and take both the 5-htp and the Tyrosine. Seems I may have done more harm than good by just taking the 5-htp all those months.

    Nonetheless, it was a great read. It screams BRAD at me, too.

    Wouldn't it be funny if I was kicked out of the Army and now receive VA disability benefits b/c of CARB syndrome???
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



    Comment


    • Also, if you read the Neurotransmitters article to the end, he has a supplement called CARB22 that might be enough. I'm going to look into it. Might be cheaper and easier to go that route than to buy two different bottles of 5-htp and a bottle of tyrosine.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



      Comment


      • Or not... take 3-4 twice capsules daily??? For 47 bucks a bottle??? Yikes... And seriously? Does someone like me really need 600mg of 5htp a day??? *oops, read that wrong... 300 mg daily...

        But good gravy... could you imagine buying all those bottles of supplements and then mixing it up yourself? I can't afford either option - even if I ditch the XM radio...

        *edited.
        Last edited by jenn26point2; 08-12-2013, 11:03 AM.
        Primal since March 5, 2012
        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



        Comment


        • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
          Also, if you read the Neurotransmitters article to the end, he has a supplement called CARB22 that might be enough..
          Imagine that. List 22 things many of which apply to everyone. Sell a suppliment to fix it. Profit.

          Sorry, but you wont find a person in America that can't pick somethings off that list and apply it to themselves. It is called modern life. We all get it. It is invariably fatal.

          Comment


          • The argument is whether or not it's depression or diet... if you don't display depression symptoms, it doesn't pertain to you. I was kicked out of the army for depression - but yet, I only match the "modern" framework of depression - not the framework that was illustrated back in the great psychological discovery eras (think Freudian Era). And since changing to the Primal/Paleo framework, my symptoms have diminished significantly - now I only still suffer from a small handfull of those 22 symptoms.

            I don't think it's invariably fatal - but I do believe it's modern life. I think it can be corrected and reversed and we can go back to only a small portion of the population needing psychotrophic drugs in significant cases if we all adopt the proper human diet. I think that today's doctor throw drugs at issues instead of throwing fruit and veggies. I think this article is a step in the right direction for sure. Yes, he sells a supplement, but he tells you exactly what's in it too so you can "mix" your own if you wanted to - it's not a secret proprietary blend. If anything, he's making it easy for us by mixing it for us and selling it - it'll cost a FORTUNE to mix that myself. But he's been forth coming with the ingredients, which I admire.
            Primal since March 5, 2012
            SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



            Comment


            • Yeah, I think his recommendations are excessive, but The Mood Cure limits (up to 300 mg of 5-HTP, for example) worked for me.

              An interesting note: it was not until I supplemented both L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP for at least a month together that I suddenly felt that I didn't need them anymore. Originally (late 2011), I had been taking both, but not at a 10:1 ratio. After that, I just took 5-HTP because it seemed adequate.

              I think it all comes down to gut health, which obviously correlates with diet. L-Glutamine is probably more important than I give it credit for. When I figure out what supplements I want this month/moving forward (taking my time with it for now), that will definitely be included. I don't think it has obvious or short term effects, but it is always included in guides for gut healing.
              Depression Lies

              Comment


              • Ok, disregard... it would be way cheaper to buy all the supplements from Amazon and take the recommended dosage each day. here's the cost breakdown

                supplement Cost per bottle Days bottle will last Cost per day
                di-phenylalanine $19.96 50 $0.40
                l-tyrosine $18.80 30 $0.63
                l-glutamine $8.99 120 $0.07
                5-htp $15.83 40 $0.40
                Vitamin B6 $6.29 33 $0.19
                Chromium picolinate $12.63 100 $0.13
                Vitamin C $14.00 250 $0.06
                Folic acid $7.30 250 $0.03



                Total cost per day: $1.90
                Total cost for 10 days: $18.99

                Carb22 costs:
                Costs per bottle: $46.95
                Days bottle will last: 10
                Cost per day: $4.70


                So, we'd end up with a million bottles on our counters, but we could save money by buying the elements separately and taking the multitude of pills each day...

                * I factored in how many days the bottle will last based on how many pills you'd need to take each day to reach the dosages the article recommended.
                Primal since March 5, 2012
                SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                Comment


                • Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
                  Yeah, I think his recommendations are excessive, but The Mood Cure limits (up to 300 mg of 5-HTP, for example) worked for me.

                  An interesting note: it was not until I supplemented both L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP for at least a month together that I suddenly felt that I didn't need them anymore. Originally (late 2011), I had been taking both, but not at a 10:1 ratio. After that, I just took 5-HTP because it seemed adequate.

                  I think it all comes down to gut health, which obviously correlates with diet. L-Glutamine is probably more important than I give it credit for. When I figure out what supplements I want this month/moving forward (taking my time with it for now), that will definitely be included. I don't think it has obvious or short term effects, but it is always included in guides for gut healing.
                  The article I posted made it seem like the supplements would be a temporary thing to boost amino acids as a precursor to pending gut health by the proper diet - that once the gut is healed, the supplements would no longer be needed. Which is logical based on everything else we've read in the past.

                  I just didn't realize that by taking only 5-htp, I was causing dopamine issues. maybe that's why I didn't feel better taking 5-htp?
                  Primal since March 5, 2012
                  SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                    I don't think it's invariably fatal - but I do believe it's modern life.
                    Sorry, I was being flip - at the end of life we all die, hence it is invariably fatal.

                    The depression vs. diet argument is one that gets me into trouble so I will stay out of it. Either way, I wish you much good health.

                    Comment


                    • Sorry to butt in here...but wouldn't a good quality protein powder be easier? I could never take that many 'pills', I have a bad gag reflex after taking just a few. I bought one at Complete Nutrition that has aminos, glutamine(supposedly good for healing stomach issues) & lots of other good stuff in it. I think Mark sells a good protein powder that I imagine is 100% primal. My son who works out all the time is even using mine. Just a thought. I am certainly no expert, nor do I play one on TV! lol
                      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

                      Comment


                      • There are a lot of other things in protein powders. And I don't mind taking supplements. Every morning I swallow a handful of pills - vitamin C, B12, 3 fish oil capsules, 1 probiotic, stress B (b-complex for adrenal health). What's another handful? lol
                        Primal since March 5, 2012
                        SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                          The article I posted made it seem like the supplements would be a temporary thing to boost amino acids as a precursor to pending gut health by the proper diet - that once the gut is healed, the supplements would no longer be needed. Which is logical based on everything else we've read in the past.

                          I just didn't realize that by taking only 5-htp, I was causing dopamine issues. maybe that's why I didn't feel better taking 5-htp?
                          Definitely temporary, but I think "temporary" can still be a while for some people, depending on your body's needs.

                          I wonder if Vitex also played a role for me. It boosts dopamine so it might have helped mitigate some of the issues with 5-HTP solo.

                          I should take a picture of all the supplement bottles I have. I set aside a corner in the pantry for my "active" bottles. This reminds me to look into a good quality B-complex, including B12.
                          Depression Lies

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                            What's another handful? lol
                            Careful, soon you will run out of hands

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by canio6 View Post
                              Careful, soon you will run out of hands
                              I won't be doing this one any time soon. It'll cost $103 just to get the listed supplements to make a 30 days supply - but some bottles have more than 30 days worth of capsules, so it wouldn't be $103 each month - but that initial start up fee is a bit of a shock.
                              Primal since March 5, 2012
                              SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)



                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                                I won't be doing this one any time soon. It'll cost $103 just to get the listed supplements to make a 30 days supply - but some bottles have more than 30 days worth of capsules, so it wouldn't be $103 each month - but that initial start up fee is a bit of a shock.
                                good news...furlough is ending. You had that money taken out of the budget already so would you miss it if you put it towards your health?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X