No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenn, just a thought. That foot pain sounds a whole lot like a Gout attack, which could have happened when you ate off w30.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Really? What's gout? Better research this...

Foot hurts again today. Last night it was affecting how I walked - causing a limp. This morning so far it hasn't made me limp as much - maybe the first step or so and then it feels ok.

I'm going to google gout and see what I learn.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• Ok, reading up on gout (at wikipedia, which is a poor source, but a good way to find good sources) and on MDA, it sounds like that could be what is going on with my foot. What worries me is the fructose connection b/c I've been eating a lot of fruit - more specifically, a lot of watermelon.

It doesn't sound like going to see Dr. Lake is going to help at all, so I will not spend the money to see her today.

Looking back, this all started after I started running more seriously. I thought it was "turf toe", which at the time I understood to be a strained muscle in the toe or something of the like. Dr. Lake didn't seem concerned about it. Then after I'd switched to wearing minimalist shoes, the discomfort only presented itself after I'd worn athletic shoes. It was always minor.

This week it's shooting pain through my foot. Seems right what Paula is suggesting. With my fructose consumption going up in recent weeks, and the timing of my foot pain, it's all logical. I will refrain from buying a watermelon and step back from the fruit a bit and see if the pain subsides.

I took two Advil as Wiki said NSAIDs are the course of action for acute attacks and ibuprofen helped a lot the other night... oh shoot! I just remembered I have a prescription anti-inflammatory in my purse! Dang it! I could have put that to use! Oh well.

One thing that's curious to me - how do you get rid of the crystals in the joints? Everything I read explained how to reduce the uric acid content in the blood, but not how to eliminate the crystals.

Good catch, Paula! Thanks.

Comment

• From what I've read (did some research when my toes were being weird), the crystals will go away as/when the uric acid levels reduce. Cherries are supposed to be good for flushing uric acid. At least 500 mg of Vitamin C daily is supposed to help prevent gout as well.
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
            From what I've read (did some research when my toes were being weird), the crystals will go away as/when the uric acid levels reduce. Cherries are supposed to be good for flushing uric acid. At least 500 mg of Vitamin C daily is supposed to help prevent gout as well.
            I read that in Mark's post as well - about the vitamin C. I haven't been consistent with my vitamin C lately. I usually take 1,000 mg a day b/c it's supposed to help with depression/anxiety, and probably for the last week or two, haven't been taking my supplements. I took them today. I should remember to at least take the vitamin C so my foot stays happy.

I knew about tart cherry - used to take a tart cherry supplement, but stopped when I ran out. I'll order some and start taking it again.

Do you suppose I'll have to take the vitamin C and cherry forever??

Comment

• Originally posted by honguqia
              I wish I could move to another planet.

Spammer?

Comment

• The spammers have been really into those emoticons lately!

I don't know if you'll need to keep up the Vitamin C and cherry intake forever. I guess it's a kidney thing? or for whatever reason, you body is just producing too much uric acid. If the pain was triggered by the off-plan foods, then it's probably okay for you to eat fruit & such (after it dissipates), just not the wheat/bad oils etc.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• I've always heard eating too much pork can bring on a gout attach. Have you been having a lot of pork lately?
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• And Brad heard red meat is the culprit.

I don't think they have any clue.

I haven't been eating any more pork than normal. Or any more red meat than normal. Or chicken for that matter. I don't NORMALLY eat this much fruit. Seems in the last month or so I really amped up my fruit consumption - 2 oranges a day, and pineapple with strawberries or heaping bowls of watermelon in the evenings. Prior to June, all I ate was a nightly bowl of strawberries with heavy cream - except when I was doing NK - during my NK stint, I banished all fruit.

My meat consumption has not changed since the start of my primal days. I don't think meat is the problem.

I have noticed recently, most noticably in the last few days, that my body is super super stiff in the mornings. Especially my feet and ankles. Like I walk like a zombie first thing in the morning - unable to really move my feet and ankles very well. Like things are seized up, needing oil.

Comment

• Ok, in talking to Brad, I don't know what to think about my foot.

My feet and ankles have been stiff in the mornings for a very very long time, but it never caused any real pain so it was nothing to complain about. Plus, after a few steps, things loosened up. Same thing happens now, except the pain a little more pronounced in that one area - supposedly the area where gout pain exists. I've had soreness in my big toe for at least since 2011 when I was half marathon training and thought maybe it was turf toe or something or that I had a tendonitis going on - felt a "stretching" when I'd push off while walking/running, and I could simulate that feeling when standing and pushing against my toe. I can get the same effect today. It was more pronounced when I would wear running shoes after being in a barefootesque state for an extended period of time (if I wore my runners one time, my toe would hurt the next day). The pain I'm feeling now is a bit different as it shoots across the top of my foot, which led me to believe it was from a pinched nerve. This pain has only been there since Tuesday - which is what was alarming to me and made me think it needed Dr. Lake's attention, but again, it goes away after a few steps, so maybe it's just inflammation.

Also about a month ago, I stubbed (for lack of a better word) my big toe on the right side during a run. It cracked, and felt a bit sore, but it went away after a short bit. So maybe the toe joint is jammed and the foot just needs an adjustment...

Hell I don't know. I just know it started hurting on Tuesday and I want it to stop hurting...

Comment

• Can you call a doctor or nurse line to ask about the possibility of gout vs. anything else?
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• figuring out what is wrong with your foot is about as complicated as figuring out what is wrong with my gut! Sucks doesn't it!

My suggestion is to start with the Princess of Pain. If she can't fix it - then look to other sources.
                          1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                          2. Eat to heal
                          3. Move to live
                          4. Embrace today
                          5. Live with intention
                          6. Respect my body
                          7. Cultivate joy
                          8. Find my passion
                          9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I read this and it sounds like it's not gout. The area is not swollen and is not red. Just sore.

And this leads me to further believe it's not gout. This soreness (not the shooting pain) has been present for well over a year, which is odd for a sprain as well. It doesn't come and go like they say gout does, but is always kind of there - though not usually bothersome.

I probably need to have an xray and an adjustment done on it. I think I'll call Dr. Lake's office back and see if she still has that lunchtime appointment.

Nope, no more openings for Dr. Lake today. I'll just wait and see what it's like next week and see if I need to see her. The more I read the more I think it's just out of alignment and is now pinching a nerve. I could try to get in with Dr. Jay (my other chiropractor) for an adjustment this weekend if need be.
                            Last edited by jenn26point2; 06-20-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

• Foot felt great through both of my half mile run to and from the gym. Got done and changed clothes. As soon as I was done changing, the pain was there for two steps. The shooting/pinching pain. Wth?? I felt the standard soreness while squatting. I tend not to pay attention to the standard soreness b/c I'm so used to it, but the shooting pain gets me b/c it's unexpected.

Did squat and bench today, then leg curls and planks. 2x5 squat at 95 lbs, then 3x5 squat at 105 lbs. Then did 2x5 bench at 85 lbs, then 3x5 bench at 95 lbs. Then 3x10 leg curls at 80 lbs and 3x60 second planks. And the aforementioned 1/2 mile run to and 1/2 mile run from the gym, both in 5:20, +/- a couple of seconds. Good workout today. I felt strong. I felt good and I looked damn skinny in my navy blue tank and black capri running tights. And I do believe I am the heaviest lifting woman in that gym. I think in the 2-3 months I've been lifting, I've only seen one girl in there using barbells other than me. Oh well. Just makes me a badass, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                                Oh well. Just makes me a badass, right?
                                Totally badass. 5'4" of absolute badassery.

Comment

Working...
                                X