No announcement yet.

My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm younger than Jenn (I think), and I didn't get my first until I went off to college. The only reason I got that was emergencies and a cell phone plan was cheaper than a dorm landline. Since talking to my parents was free, I got the cheapest phone (free) and the cheapest plan (60 minutes a month, nothing else.)
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

• After reading Pam's journal, I am again motivated and inspired to purge my house of unnecessary "stuff". First order of business is children's clothes. I have so many clothes in the house that it's impossible (for me) to keep up with the laundry duties, so clothes tend to accumulate on the dining room table in laundry baskets. Most of the kids clothes are not wearable b/c they're too small. So this weekend, I will be taking time to go through those clothes and at least clear off my table.

I have contacted Family Resources, which has a battered women's shelter, to see if they'd be interested in the clothes. Honestly, I don't expect them to want that many clothes. The sheer number of clothing items is overwhelming at best. If they don't want them (or only ask for some of them), I'll give the rest of the Salvation Army or maybe the Red Cross. I'm hesitant to give them to Goodwill b/c I have a real problem with someone else making money off of my generosity. At least Family Resources and the Red Cross would give the clothes away to someone who needs it rather than selling them.

But the idea of purging stuff from my house is calming and cleansing. I can't wait. And as the furloughs come up (got an email from the union that the letter should be coming out soon and that at a minimum we're looking at 7 days - and that it will not drop to zero), I'll work on purging toys that my kids have but haven't played with in ages. And books. It's time to simplify and minimize!! Owning too much stuff is overwhelming.
      Primal since March 5, 2012
      SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• US Cellular has agreed to pay for the repairs on my phone. Another saga closed thanks to persistence and determination. Or as some people call it, being a squeaky annoying wheel.

Comment

• Phones - I got my first cellphone at 16, I think? A nice little flip-phone. It didn't have a camera. I'm not sure when my sister got her first one, but I don't think it was more than 2 years before I did (she's 2 yrs older). My little brother is 15 and got his first cell last year, I think. He's finally starting to remember to have it with him when he's goes out biking. It opens up to have a full keyboard, which is easier for him to use, but it's not a smartphone. He definitely doesn't need one of those! He's on the computer plenty at home (and I put together a laptop for him last year).

Cleaning house - I think there's a veteran's association that leaves notices in our mailbox about clothes and furniture donations. Not sure if there's anything like that out by you. Sometimes I wish I had stuff to donate, most of my "crap" just needs to get thrown out. Been thinking about that since there's a slim chance we'll move this Fall.
          Depression Lies

Comment

• Ran 3.14 miles over lunch in 36:11. Average pace was 11:31 per mile, so roughly 5.5 miles per hour was my speed. I felt good until I reach the turn around. Then I felt like my legs were heavy. And it started to get really really hot and I was really really thirsty. Would have been smart to take a water with me... silly girl.

I ran across government bridge. I enjoyed looking down through the grated floor to see the water flowing below. The grated floor did not feel so great on my feet though. But it won't deter me from running that route again. I kind of liked it. Just wish there'd been more of a breeze or more shade along the route. It's amazing to me how few trees there are out there.

Definitely earned my shower today.

Comment

• You should itemize the clothes and donate to the Salvation Army. Their website has a value range for each item of clothing. I took the mid point value. Last year, I donated $1600 dollars in clothes, which allowed us to get a refund instead of having to pay the Feds.
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I'll remind my mom of this option, as she owes taxes this year. Could be good for next year.
                Depression Lies

Comment

• The DAV (disabled American Veteran) has thrift stores around here, but I don't think they cater to young kids so much. I much prefer the salvation army as they provide clothes and stuff when people's houses burn down or when everything is lost in a storm. I prefer those kinds of organizations over thrift stores personally.

Comment

• Oy! Feel like I need to be wearing bunker gear and carrying a hose! Been fighting fires all morning. Craziness.

Comment

• What about the Red Cross? Do they warehouse clothing and household items for things like fire/flood disasters too? Maybe they rely on the other organizations to step up for those needs. I think you're idea of the womens shelter is a good one - also, many churches have "clothes closets" for needy people too. I'm sure there are LOTS of places you could donate too.

Hope the day calms down and the fires stop burning
                      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                      2. Eat to heal
                      3. Move to live
                      4. Embrace today
                      5. Live with intention
                      6. Respect my body
                      7. Cultivate joy
                      8. Find my passion
                      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• I plan to check with the Red Cross, but haven't gotten it done yet.

Comment

• Ok, Family Resources got back to me and will take all the clothes for the battered women's shelter. I did a volunteer project with the Family Resources in my second ever master's class and then told us about the battered women's shelter and how when women leave with children, often they don't have time or resources to grab clothes and toys and whatnot for the kids. That breaks my heart and has really stuck with me. They called me back today and were very appreciative of my (enormous) donation and said they would accept it. I will also be gathering up some of the kids' old toys and whatnot and donate those as well. Kids need toys when they're yanked out of their homes and find themselves in a new place like a shelter.

This weekend I will be emptying all the tubs of clothes into garbage bags so they're easier to transport - 15 rubbermaid like tubs won't fit in the back of the truck for that kind of distance, much less in my car! I may find I'm making more than one trip to the center! Last spring, SIL and I held a garage sale at her house. I sold one box of clothes, pricing each item at 25cents each and made $100. If I have as many boxes of stuff as I think, then that's a HUGE tax deduction. I will look at the receipt she gives me and see what kind of figures they suggest for kids' clothes, but I'm planning for valuing them at 25c each since that's what I'd ask for at a garage sale. Clothes move quickly when you do them for a quarter each.

Our refi closing is Saturday at 10 am. Our house is a disaster! I sent Brad a text and told him I'm focusing on laundry tonight (gotta get that table cleared off so we have a place to sign!) and can focus on the other two main rooms tomorrow night (and we can get the kids to work on picking up tonight)... SHIT! I just remembered! Brady has ball practice tonight! Dang it... ok, I guess *I* will be working on the house tonight... *sigh* that's ok. I get more done when Brad's not yelling at the kids for not picking up the way he wants them to. Sometimes I think he fails to remember that there's more than one way to skin a cat... Ok, as I wrote this, Brady's coach sent a message indicating practice is cancelled since it's only like 40 some degrees outside. Kinda chilly... Brady's going to be soooo disappointed. But they're having an extra practice on Monday so that should make him happy. Just means that the Battle of the Bullheaded Boys will take place tonight when it's time to straighten the house.

Our new house payment won't be under $1,000 like originally estimated. It's just a tick over $1,000, so now it's only $100 less than the pre-refi payment... hardly seems worth it, but whatev. I guess it'll pay some of my student loan payments... Looks like I get to play with the spreadsheet again...

Skipped the gym today. I just wasn't feeling it. Kind of feeling bummed and overwhelmed in my head. Brad brought up sex again and how I don't ever seem to want it. I tried my best to explain to him that I had to adjust the vitex b/c it was killing my periods and by lowering the dosage it killed my libido. Just reiterates that there's still things on the to-do list to focus on... *sigh* I'll do squats and bench press tomorrow instead of just squats.

Time to make a list of all the things I need to do tonight so I can stay on task. Adios!

Comment

• Busy lady! Good luck! On the re-fi stuff, $100 less is $1200 per year. That's money to kill off debt or put in extra on mortgages, savings etc.
                            Depression Lies

Comment

• True.

Little snafu... Wells Fargo didn't cancel our autopayment like they were supposed to so now the mortgage writer dude is scrambling to get our payment reversed and refunded... good thing I put that money in furlough! I was able to transfer it back into checking to cover us until they refund it.

I succeeded in totally pissing Brad off, but I think in the long run he finally understands my perspective on things. I used some of my leadership training to get through to him. He started out by bugging me about sex again and what it's going to take to make me want it more... i discussed how I removed birth control and anti-depressants from the picture and started taking supplements meant to boost hormones, but haven't found the right combo yet. I told him that at this point, the only other thing I can think of is reducing my stress level and that means significant changes at home b/c that is my biggest stressor.

At one point we discussed how his racing and all activities included in that one night on the track, to include ALL the 'work' he puts in on the car during the week is a non-essential activity to the way our house is run. In other words, he is the only one who truly benefits from racing. He tried to argue that the "work" he puts in during the week is not fun, so I said "if it's not fun, and is instead work, they why are you racing?" If one part is so unfun that you'll consider it work and not enjoyable, why even bother with the whole activity?? Before you guys point out to me that all hobbies have unfun activities, let me point out to you that he spends HOURS each night working on the race car to spend a whopping 30 minutes racing each Saturday night... hardly seems like much of a pay out to me...

I explained my "position" and "interest" (both are leadership terms for what I think and why) I likened the "household benefit" of his racing to my running (because he mentioned that it's work b/c it's physically demanding, etc, it's not a hobby) and said that running is fun for me and physically demanding, but because it ONLY benefits me and not anyone else in the house, it's a hobby, not work. So then, I think he caved b/c he said "whatever, call it what you want", which is his standard response to "I have no argument against your valid point"... lol

So we have both agreed that we will do two household chores before "hobbies". He will unload the dishwasher and start a load of laundry in the washer. Then go work on his racecar. I will reload the dishwasher and move the wet clothes to the dryer before "standing around and doing nothing" as he put it. Oh, and then he told me I can't bitch if he comes home later... I replied with "I'm only asking for 15 minutes... not an hour".

Now we're discussing why he thinks he needs $1,000 to go racing in September (5 day show that will require a hotel, etc), and why he can't get by with $500. When we originally agreed to saving $1,000 I was going to join him, but now I can't find anyone to keep the kids that weekend, so I'm not going... so I don't think he needs $1,000 anymore. I think he can get by on $500, but would be willing to let him have $750 (since I was only going out for 2 of the 5 days, but even then, I think $1,000 was overkill).

So, strategic communication, emphasizing both position and interest, summarization of the other person's claims, and waiting to formulate my response until after summarization, is playing well right now.

it's kind of funny... and I think he'd be irate if he knew I was using my education "on him" as he would put it. He'd feel I used an underhanded trick instead of sticking to a level playing field, but arguments from our past show that the level playing field is not effective as nothing has ever changed before. But he knows I use it on the kids and has seen it work, so if he doesn't realize I'm using on him too, eh, oh well.

We'll see how long the changes stick. But of course, I will have to show that helping me with the two little tasks (as well as how he talks to the kids, how he gets them to do things, and how well things get done without added stress**) has improved my libido, so hopefully it all works.

**before we started discussing whether or not racing was a hobby or work, we discussed getting down and helping the kids pick up their toys, giving them specific instructions such as "put your blocks in the box" or "put your wrestling guys in your room on the shelf" instead of simply using "pick up your toys" as the direction. Pick up your toys means different things to them than it does to us... to us it means, put them away, but to them it means pick them up... but then what? And with the sheer number of toys they usually have out/leave out, picking them ALL up is impossible and overwhelming. If we phrase it differently, we can get our message across. But also, the tone we take (he's real good at yelling at them, which only scares them and does not encourage them to act) and getting down with them and showing them how its done, will help get things done more quickly.

Like I said, we'll see how long the changes stick... I'm sure I'll have to give reminders... I'm guessing in a week I'll have to remind him to do his two little chores. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not counting on it.

Comment

• And now that I've just spoken with the loan dude about our refund, I'm even more happy that I placed it into savings instead of putting it toward the credit card... it's going to take 2-3 weeks to get my refund. Unacceptable. What if I had already spent that money and was not going ot face a shit ton of overdraft charges??? What if we hadn't had the money in savings to make up the difference? We'd be SCREWED if we had to wait 2-3 weeks. I told Geoff that while I'm not shooting the messenger, I find this to be unacceptable and asked what could be done to speed it along. I am calling the auto pay department now to get it reversed. This should be fun. <sarcasm>

Oh joy... I have to talk to a supervisor... yippee!!! <moresarcasm>

Comment

Working...
                                X