My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by marcadav View Post
    Trader Joe's has Kerrygold for the lowest price I've found. I stock up and freeze it as I'm not a fan of Trader Joe's or it's location.
    The Costco's around here have a three pack for 6.99 or something like that. Trader Joe's it is 2.99
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
      You're right Marcadav -- they didn't have it[Kerrygold Butter]. I was so bummed.
      At out Costco, it is kept in the delicatessen section with the cheese, NOT with the other butter. Be sure you check there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        At out Costco, it is kept in the delicatessen section with the cheese, NOT with the other butter. Be sure you check there.
        Just called our Costco. They do not carry it.
        Tomi, the nearest Costco that does have it, according to the guy I spoke with,--Tigard and Vancouver.

Comment

• Seems I may have miscalculated the extent of our losses this year... I calculated that I would be losing $3,113 in take home pay. A calculator I found that First Army compiled to help people plan for the furlough says I'm losing out of $5,663. Currently, we only have about $2,200 in savings.

NOW I'm getting scared. Especially now that student loans are coming due in a month or so...
          Primal since March 5, 2012
          SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• hahaha disregard!! The furlough calculator defaulted to me wanting to save 18% of my income via my TSP account while on furlough... um, yeah right! Anyhow, I'm only off by about $60, not $2000... *whew* crisis averted!!!

Comment

• Brad and I just refinanced our mortgage. The interest rate went down by 0.75%. The mortgage lender sent us a notice that there was a program called the VA Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan that allows us to refinance for little to no closing costs (no survey cost if the survey has been done in the last 10 years, plus up to $1,400 in Wells Fargo Lender Credits for being a Wells Fargo customer). Our payment is expected to go down by only $100 a month, but in 12 months, that's a savings of $1,200, which is about 1/2 of what I'm losing in salary this year, so I consider it a win. Yes, there'll be two more years tacked onto our mortgage, but with the debt snowball, we'll never see the end of that 30 years, so it's all good. I've got to think about our needs RIGHT NOW and not our needs for 30 years down the line, ya know? Plus, if our mortgage goes down, I don't need to sweat the fact that we've dipped into the furlough funds and there's not the full $3,000 left. Having $600 taken off of our mortgage bill for this year will help a lot to help us survive this crap. We should be closing in 60-90 days. I wish it didn't take so long.

Comment

• With the furlough there is nothing you can do work with the student loan people? Frickin' congress. Why the hell aren't they on furlough? I am so sick of their BS
                You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
                height 5'3
                SW 215 lbs
                CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
                LW 172 lbs
                GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Hey Jenn - normally when you do a refi there is a lag in the payment due - as one loan is paying off and the new one is taking affect --- will you have a one month mortgage free zone during the transition?
                  1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                  2. Eat to heal
                  3. Move to live
                  4. Embrace today
                  5. Live with intention
                  6. Respect my body
                  7. Cultivate joy
                  8. Find my passion
                  9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Idk, Tomi. It sure would be nice. I'll be sure NOT to tell Brad about said skipped payment and will instead sock it into the furlough. The furlough needs to be my priority over credit cards right now, I think, since we're 900 short. :S

Comment

• Listening to the Healthy Life Summit: Healing the Mind and Body with Food with Julia Ross (I can't share the link b/c you have to be signed up to listen, I think.) I guess I can try: Healthy Life Summit: Julia Ross | Village Green Network Not sure if that will work or not. I hope it does.

Anyhow this gal SOUNDS like a therapist with her voice inflection and muttering. It'll be interesting to see what she has to say.

I put my name in the hat for 3 total jobs at the University of Iowa. 2 admin positions and then the program coordinator position. I'm not all that interested in the admin jobs b/c I don't think they'll pay what I need them to pay, but we'll see what happens anyway. Maybe I'll be surprised.

Comment

• Ross mostly went over the stuff she talks about in The Mood Cure, but not in great detail. I listened to her yesterday. The main thing is that she emphasizes the importance of protein in helping mood disorders, with at least 20g protein per meal, and not skipping meals while you're "healing".
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• Have any of you tried The Mood Cure? Does it help at all? I would love to be off anti-depressants.

Age 48
                          height 5'3
                          SW 215 lbs
                          LW 172 lbs
                          GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Good luck with the jobs Jenn! I know there is something out there for you!

Age 48
                            height 5'3
                            SW 215 lbs
                            LW 172 lbs
                            GW 125ish lbs

Comment

• Well, if that's all it is, I probably won't listen. I already eat more than 20g protein in every meal, and I feel pretty good, so I won't sweat it.

Thinking about breaking ketosis this weekend. My grandma's 75th birthday party is Saturday night and we're also celebrating Easter that day, so there will be fruit and potato dishes available. My aunt is making a gluten free cake for the birthday party and since the sugar detox is over, I might indulge in some goodies.

Also thinking about concentrating more on strength training and less on running. I'm not running *much* right now (yesterday I did 2 miles) but I think the lack of strength training is really slowing down my weight loss. I've been stuck at this weight forEVER (since the end of August last year) and I'm quite tired of it. A friend on MFP who was a friend on SparkPeople was stuck forever. She significantly restricted calories, another time she boosted her cardio, etc. Then all of a sudden a few months ago she discovered heavy lifting - not cross-fit, but cross-fit type lifting and she has FINALLY made it to her goal, after a 1 1/2 year plateau. I think I might start following her lead and see what happens. She also found that by doing the strength stuff, she was able to SIGNIFICANTLY improve her run. So, I think I'll take some time to focus on strength, run a couple times a week maybe to keep from losing my love for it, and just work on getting strong.

I also started using fitocracy to track my activities (I like the idea of quests and earning points for movement, etc) so that'll be motivating. I may also stop ketosis all together for a while too. I don't know that I've given it a fair chance given my month of ketosis, then bad weekend, then back to ketosis to lose what I'd gained, then bad weekend, etc. But I'm also not any closer to my goals than I was prior to trying NK. I haven't experienced the negative moods that I had last time, but part of me wants to just relax and go back to eating Primal and not worrying about carbs vs fat. Summer is coming which means lots of occassions where NK won't be easy. I don't know... I'll think on this a bit longer before I make any decisions. But sometimes, a baked potato with our steak sounds so yummy.

Comment

• Originally posted by valmason01 View Post
                                Have any of you tried The Mood Cure? Does it help at all? I would love to be off anti-depressants.
                                I take 250 mg of 5-htp daily. 150 at about 3 pm and another 100 at bed. I'm not sure the 3 pm dose is as important as the bedtime dose. Might start playing with dosages again and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X