My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added Paula.

I feel bloated tonight. Not sure what that's about. Skipping dinner I think.

I donated blood today. Blood pressure was 107/65, pulse 54. Score! Hemoglobin was 13.4, despite nearly bleeding to death this week (joking...)

Brady got red at school again today. These were his infractions: making noises, touching things in the room, not working.

The noises and not working I agree with... the touching things? really? It's 6:30 and he's sleeping already. I want to completely get rid of the "diet" and remind her what it was like before he went gluten free and dairy free, but I don't know if that's fair to him. I did tell her he could have lunch today and whatever snack the student who was assigned to bring snack brought. I don't know what to do. I don't want to continue to restrict him if it's not working but at the same time, I don't want him to have more days like this if it is diet related. This is so hard...
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Comment

• So, we got a memo from the General's office regarding the furlough. It's looking like we could be furloughed for 22 days. That's 2 pay periods plus 2 days. That's a lot of freaking lost pay. (multiply that by 800,000 civilian employees nationwide and you've got one hell of a cost savings for the government) To illustrate, that amount of lost pay would pay off a loan we own... It would pay off half a credit card... if we didn't have other bills to pay.

So it looks like the $500 I set aside this week is a meager drop in the bucket... Thankfully Brad worked last Saturday and Sunday and he's working this Saturday and Sunday too. That'll help a lot. Probably get us up past the $1,000 mark in savings. We're also hopeful that taxes will help us out.

If we're allowed to pick when we take our time, I'll take it a week at a time - unless they require us to take it consecutively, which is some of the talk.

So, not only am I losing more pay via taxes, I'm also losing out on 22 days of pay because our government can't get its shit figured out. *sigh*

Comment

• A drop in the bucket is still water! Best wishes for you guys.
        Depression Lies

Comment

• Originally posted by namelesswonder View Post
          A drop in the bucket is still water! Best wishes for you guys.
          Thanks, Tasha. You're right.

Comment

• Sorry Jenn, That sucks.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Sometimes, it's $5 that comes between the edge and the abyss. I hope they at least let you do it in increments. Is there a way you can do it where you pull a 32 or 24 hr week for a while, instead of a straight up furlough?
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

• Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
                Sometimes, it's $5 that comes between the edge and the abyss. I hope they at least let you do it in increments. Is there a way you can do it where you pull a 32 or 24 hr week for a while, instead of a straight up furlough?
                They haven't said how they're going to let us do it. Rumor has it the days will be consecutive, meaning all 22-30 days at once. If they do that, then we could probably draw unemployment. If we do it in chunks, I'm going to request 40 hour chunks. That way I can get some stuff done, but not get so used to being off work that I don't ever want to go back. lol Plus, I don't want them to realize that if they can do without me for 22-30 days, they don't need me at all, ya know?

40 hour chunks will be nice. I'd still get half a paycheck each pay period, my health insurance and life insurance premiums would still be getting paid, etc. No writing checks for insurance to keep things in check - no re-enrolling for benefits, etc. I'm hoping it'll be that easy.

Not sure what the issue is, but I've tried to change my profile pic and it's not changing... *sigh* annoying.

My boss learned this morning that his brother passed away. It seems it was sudden and unexpected. He, obviously, left for the day. He lost his sister recently, too, to cancer. I feel bad for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by jenn26point2 View Post
                  Here are my before and after numbers. Please keep in mind, my before numbers come from October of 2008... but, I feel like it is not inaccurate to compare the two b/c my diet pretty much the same from 2008 up until March of this year. If anything, my numbers from earlier this year would probably be worse than they were in 2008 because I weighed more in 2012 than in 2008. Anyhow, for shits and grins:

Before --> After

Total Cholesterol: 211 --> 178
                  Triglycerides: 143 --> 61

HDL: 44 --> 43
                  LDL: 138 --> 127

Um, Triglycerides dropped A LOT!!
                  New cholesterol readings are in... I probably should have maintained my ketosis prior to the test yesterday. I wonder how much different they would have been had I maintained my ketosis instead of eating chinese (to include rice) and wheat cereal the days before.

Date........................2008........10/21/2012........1/21/2013
                  Total Cholesterol........211..............178........... .......190
                  Triglycerides..............143...............61... ................59
                  LDL..........................138...............127 .................136
                  HDL..........................44.................43 ..................46

Your Total Cholesterol of 190 is DESIRABLE
                  Your LDL of 136 is BORDERLINE
                  Your HDL of 46 is NORMAL
                  Your Triglyceride level of 40 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
                  Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.13 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
                  Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.338 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
                  Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.870 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL

By CW standards, I'm still good on everything.

But, in comparison ot previous readings:

2008 readings
                  Your Total Cholesterol of 211 is BORDERLINE
                  Your LDL of 138 is BORDERLINE
                  Your HDL of 44 is NORMAL
                  Your Triglyceride level of 145 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
                  Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.80 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
                  Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.319 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
                  Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 3.295 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) NORMAL
                  10/21/2012 reading:
                  Your Total Cholesterol of 178 is DESIRABLE
                  Your LDL of 127 is NEAR OPTIMAL
                  Your HDL of 43 is NORMAL
                  Your Triglyceride level of 40 is NORMAL

RATIOS:
                  Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.14 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
                  Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.339 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
                  Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.930 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
                  10/21 was obviously the best reading, per CW standards. I wonder how much better my current numbers would have been had I remained in a ketogenic state instead of binging on carbs... Guess I'll give this keto thing a solid effort for 3 more months and rescreen just for the heck of it.

Comment

• Why does the calculator change my triglycerides to 40?? I just noticed it did that twice, and when I go in to recalculate, it keeps defaulting to 40... wth?

Comment

• Ok, well, I'm not going to take much stock in that calculator I found. I was primarily interested in what types of LDL cholesterol was in my blood (the small or the large) but she must not have understood my question b/c she said my ratio was 12... which she said is good, but I don't know what that means.

Anyhow, that's the update.

Comment

• Jenn --- Hope today is SPOT ON for you and you can get back into ketosis in a couple days.

I'm struggling with some bloat - 4 pounds worth! Not sure what caused it - unless it was just the rum over the weekend. But the scales are back up to 183 - which totally pisses me off! I'm hoping if I eat carefully and stay off the salt for the rest of the week I will see it back down by Friday. *crossingfingers-andtoes-andeyes*

I think the suggestion to have an observer in Brady's classroom is a good idea too. Do they allow parent helpers for part of a day? Maybe if you know another mom or dad in your class who would be willing to "spy" for you for a couple hours? I think all classrooms should have webcams so parents can observe at will!
                        1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                        2. Eat to heal
                        3. Move to live
                        4. Embrace today
                        5. Live with intention
                        6. Respect my body
                        7. Cultivate joy
                        8. Find my passion
                        9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Originally posted by tomi View Post
                          Jenn --- Hope today is SPOT ON for you and you can get back into ketosis in a couple days.

I'm struggling with some bloat - 4 pounds worth! Not sure what caused it - unless it was just the rum over the weekend. But the scales are back up to 183 - which totally pisses me off! I'm hoping if I eat carefully and stay off the salt for the rest of the week I will see it back down by Friday. *crossingfingers-andtoes-andeyes*
                          Alcohol causes inflammation so if you're a good girl the weight should come off quickly, I would think.

Comment

• Yes - I will be a good girl! Back to my New Years Resolution!
                            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
                            2. Eat to heal
                            3. Move to live
                            4. Embrace today
                            5. Live with intention
                            6. Respect my body
                            7. Cultivate joy
                            8. Find my passion
                            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• Here is the thesis topic I proposed to my professors. My eye twitches every time I think of this silly paper... lol I think once the proposal is approved, the twitching will stop and I can start focusing on just writing the danged thing. 15 weeks remain...

Problem: Organizations fail without strategic vision and action.

Discussion Topic One: The use of framing in decision making.

Discussion Topic Two: The use of communication in employee buy-in.

Discussoin Topic Three: The use of strategic planning to turn visions into reality.

Proposition One: Leaders use framing techniques when choosing a strategic path for their organization.

Proposition Two: Leaders articulate an inspiring strategic vision to their workforce.

Proposition Three: Leaders implement the necessary course of action to bring their vision to life.

Comment

• Hi Jenn! I've been lurking on your journal for awhile and I love it because I struggle with a lot of the challenges you have (and I also think you're funny as hell ). I wanted to chime in on the issues Brady is having at school. I'm a school counselor working with emotionally/behaviorally disturbed kids (not that I think Brady fits that category!) so I have a little experience with kids who have behavior challenges in school.

The program that I work for uses an incentive-based system like the color one Brady is on. It does work really well, but for two reasons:
                                1) There are rewards tied to a kid's level. For example, a kid on the best level can play video games during free time, while a student on the lowest level has to read quietly or do homework. From what you've said, I don't know if Brady's school does anything like this? Especially at his age, without a reward or consequence going along with his level it's going to be hard to get him to follow that system.

2) There are specific rules that make you lose points (lose enough points and you drop a level). If you talk when you aren't supposed to, you lose a point. If you get up out of your seat without asking, you lose a point. But the kids don't lose points for things not covered by the rules (like Brady getting in trouble for removing his birthday crown - what the heck is that about?) It seems like Brady's teacher is subjectively evaluating the kids and that is not fair.

I also agree with what another poster said a couple pages ago - see if you can get the school psychologist to evaluate Brady. They can do a behavior assessment (sitting & observing him in his classroom) and then from there determine any sort of changes that can help him.

And if you want some resources, I love Parenting with Love & Logic (loveandlogic.com). Their website has free resources for parents & teachers, plus they have books and DVDs that you can buy through Amazon.

Anyway, it sounds like you are doing a great job with Brady. Don't let one mean teacher get you down. The most important thing is that Brady has parents who love & care for him and who are involved in his education - that is definitely not a common thing!!

Comment

Working...
                                X