Maybe this will help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe this will help.

I've been primal about 6 months now, and I'm loving it.

Only problem is getting myself to work out. So here's my plan. I'm going to start recording my workouts here, daily, with the hope that the presure to publicly post will keep me going.

The PLAN

Mon-Wed-Fri
    Bodyweight workout
    Plank (Front and sides)
    Squats
    Pushups
    Pullups

Tues-Thurs
    Stairs. 3X sprints from 3rd floor to ground floor and back. 1 minute rest between each

Weekends
    Rest, Recover.

Starting point (03/08/2012)
    Hand/Knees plank
    Hand/Knees Pushup
    Standard Squat
    Chair Assited pullup (one leg)

I'll progress each exercise when I have completed the PBF recomended progress numbers for 3 consecutive days. I'll progress beyond the basic movement when all exercises are done with the basic movement.

Long term goal.
    Weighted (25 lbs) completion of all four basic movements to the PBF recomended progress numbers.
    Warning: I'm an anarcho-capitalist political activist. It gets into everything.

Journal

3/8/2012

Stairs
    Lap 1: 32.06
    Lap 2: 28.57
    Lap 3: 27.33

Not a terrible start, but not great either. Getting up at 0400 to do it is hard too. But that's day one out of the way. Just need to keep improving. It's more important to be going in the right direction than it is to get there quickly.

Journal

Comment

3/9/2012

Squats: 80
      Progress point: 50
      Times Progressed: 1/3
      Current Level: Full Movement
      Next Level: Side-to-Side (Advanced, not progressing until all other exercises ready to progress to advanced level)

Pushups (hands/knees): 20
      Times Progressed: 0/3
      Current Level: -2
      Next Level: Incline

Plank(Elbows/Knees): (front)2:25.47; (right side) 1:23/65; (left side) 1:23.71
      Progress point: (f)2:00, (R)0:45, (L)0:45
      Times Progressed: 1/3
      Next Level: Hands/Toes

Pull-ups (one leg chair assist): 14
      Progress Point: 20
      Next Level: Negative Pull-up
      Last edited by Trifith; 03-12-2012, 04:27 AM.

Journal

Comment

3/12/2012

Squats: 83, 50
        Times Progressed: 2/3
        Next Level: Side-to-Side (Advanced, not progressing until all other exercises ready to progress to advanced level)

Pushups (hands/knees): 22, 11

Plank(Elbows/Knees): (front)2:008.33, 2:03.66; (right side) 1:29.02, 1:09.95; (left side) 1:29.46, 1:11.81

Pull-ups (one leg chair assist): 15, 6

Added in a second set on each exercise. Feeling it today.
        Had a vacation weekend. Went off trail, had some things that definiately weren't primal. Soda tastes like crap. Not going to drink that anymore. Too many potato chips, but that's a bad fat, so not quite as terrible IMO. Drank some mead too. It was tasty. Had some stomach discomfort from the bad foods, but overall had a good time.

Journal

Comment

3/13/2012

Stairs
          Lap 1: 28.74 (-3.32)
          Lap 2: 26.66 (-1.91)
          Lap 3: 26.54 (-0.79)

Improvement across the board. Not that sore from yesterday (YAY!). My abs were a little tight all day, but I spent nearly 8 minutes in some variation of a plank. More tomorrow

Journal

Comment

3/14/2012

Squats: 88, 52

Pushups (hands/knees): 24, 12

Plank(Elbows/Knees): (front)2:17.94, 2:07.64; (right side) 1:35.07, 1:13.42; (left side) 1:38.10, 1:16.57
            Times Progressed: 3/3
            LEVEL UP!

Pull-ups (one leg chair assist): 17, 7

Improved in all areas. Glad of that. Quite the workout. I'm very... aware of my muscles. They don't hurt, but they're very present in my mind. Moving up on the plank Friday, still holding on the squats.
            Last edited by Trifith; 03-14-2012, 05:27 AM. Reason: Changed Date.

Journal

Comment

"LEVEL UP!"
              Haha.

It's Josh. Just subscribing to your journal. Hope you don't mind if I pop my head in here every now and then .
              Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
              Follow me on google+
              Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
              "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Comment

Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
                Haha.
                Anything to motivate me!

Originally posted by fpsjosh01 View Post
                It's Josh. Just subscribing to your journal. Hope you don't mind if I pop my head in here every now and then .
                You're more than welcome. The whole point of a public journal is so that the fact that people are watching makes me get it done
                Last edited by Trifith; 03-14-2012, 11:08 AM.

Journal

Comment

3/15/2012

Stairs
                  Lap 1: 28.11 (-0.63)
                  Lap 2: 26.05 (-0.61)
                  Lap 3: 25.35 (-1.19)

Not much better, but better. Half a second isn't much on it's own. As long as I see improvement though, I'm happy.

Journal

Comment

3/16/2012

Squats: 90,55

Pushups (hands/knees): 27,013

Plank(Hands/Toes): (Front) 0:54.46, 0:50.65; (Right) 0:34.56, 0:31.??; (Left) 0:39.28, 0:34.11
                    Progress point: (F)2:00, (R)0:45, (L)0:45
                    Current Level: -1
                    Next Level: Elbows/Toes

Pull-ups (one leg chair assist): 19, 8

Time on the Plank is down about 50% because of the level up. Time on the second set of Right side plank is in question. I didn't hit the stop button when my muscles failed. Oh well. Goal on that is 32 seconds for Monday. Other than that, improvement everywhere. Yesterday's maximum effort is today's minimum standard.
                    Last edited by Trifith; 03-19-2012, 06:50 AM.

Journal

Comment

3/19/2012

Squats: 93, 60

Pushups (hands/knees): 29, 16

Plank(Hands/Toes): (Front) 1:03.66, 0:57.94; (Right) 0:38.76, 0:33.41; (Left) 0:43.68, 0:39.36
                      Progress point: (F)2:00, (R)0:45, (L)0:45
                      Current Level: -1
                      Next Level: Elbows/Toes

Pull-ups (one leg chair assist): 20, 9
                      Times Progressed: .5/3

Distracted myself durring the rest between Push Up sets. Took way too long of a rest. Then I just phoned in the second set, rather than push as hard as I can. Not so good. Going to have to stick to the clock for rest periods there.

I've been thinking about squats. I'm doing nearly twice the progress point in my fist set. I want to keep impoving, but the reason I'm not steping them up to the next level is I want to have a more even build. I'm thinking I should just hold at 2x progress (100 reps of squats) and not push past that. I don't want to take the time that 200+ squats would take. I'm also considering holding on advanced progression till all exercises are at 2x progression of the base movement in both sets.

Thoughts? Comments?
                      Last edited by Trifith; 03-19-2012, 06:50 AM. Reason: Date. Have to remember to update the date :)

Journal

Comment

I've been thinking about squats. I'm doing nearly twice the progress point in my fist set. I want to keep impoving, but the reason I'm not steping them up to the next level is I want to have a more even build. I'm thinking I should just hold at 2x progress (100 reps of squats) and not push past that. I don't want to take the time that 200+ squats would take. I'm also considering holding on advanced progression till all exercises are at 2x progression of the base movement in both sets.
                        I have the same issue. I can squat a lot.... plus you are doing stairs so really doing a lower body workout daily. I don't think continuing to progress in your squats is a bad thing. All you will do is add more muscle mass, and unless you are a body builder or swimsuit model, I don't think you will look that unbalanced. A nice firm booty and strong quads is a hot look for anyone.

Right now, my new mission is the pistol squat, so I am adding in some need for balance and a deeper squat. They are harder, so I don't have to do 100 plus to feel some burn. (Heck, I can't even do one yet!) so it gives me something to aim for.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
                        Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Comment

3/20/2012

Stairs
                          Lap 1: 25.19 (-2.92)
                          Lap 2: 25.27 (-0.78)
                          Lap 3: 23.72 (-1.63)

After asking here and in the fitness forum, I think I'll move up on the progression on squats starting tomorrow. Should be fun.

Journal

Comment

No lifting today. GF was sick last night, which woke me up, so I slept in rather than exercise. Back on track tomorow.

Journal

Comment

3/22/2012

Stairs
                              Lap 1: 22.52 (-2.67)
                              Lap 2: 23.63 (-1.64)
                              Lap 3: 23.58 (-0.14)

It's been two weeks now. Missed one workout. Great improvement IMHO. Getting back on the strength tomorrow.

Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X