Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Journal of a Sugar Addict - can I beat the sugar demons?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, GAPS is going well and I haven't cheated once so far which means no sugar since last wednesday - one more day and it will be a week!

GAPS is definitely tough just from a boredom and time point of view if nothing else. We make a lot of broth and eat lots of soups... The first few days were the worst as we started with no veggies at all to see if it would help DH's digestion. We're not sure if it is or not yet though. He does seem to be getting some die-off reactions but if anything things seem to be a bit worse. We decide that living on no veggies wasn't healthy as we were getting zero carbs so after 3 days of that, we've moved onto full stage one which includes some veg in the soups. It is a lot better as we now have a bit more variety in flavours, but I'm still wishing for big juicy steak and some chocolate! I've been experimenting with making ferments which has been interesting. Our sour cream is pretty awesome although the yoghurt leaves something to be desired. We tried with raw milk and it just goes very liquidy - not nice and thick like the sour cream. We might try using some organic pasteurised milk next as apparently that can give better results. Saurkraut is bubbling away as well and the first batch should be ready tomorrow. All very exciting!

I've not noticed a huge amount of die-off. I've been working my way slowly up to a bigger dose of bio-kult. I started at 1 tablet a day a week ago, and have just gone up to three today. I don't seem to notice much from them, but my first try of 24-hour fermented yoghurt went a bit wrong. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling absolutely awful! After quickly running to the bathroom I felt a lot better, but its given me a healthy respect for taking things slowly :P

I've not been craving chocolate or sugar which is great. I haven't been subject to any temptation though! I think at the moment it is easy to say no though as we are both being very strict in the hope that GAPS will help DH. It just doesn't seem worth cheating when its taking so much effort to have everything available for introduction - I don't think either of us really want to have to try it again!

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

Ugh - sugar cravings galore!!!

We're now on week two of GAPS and just starting to introduce foods in stage 3. I was doing really well with the sugar cravings until Saturday night and now I'm craving sooo badly. So far I haven't given in but its a daily struggle. I'm not sure what has changed but I'm determined not to give in until I have been free of sugar for at least two or three weeks. I'm hoping that if I can make it that far it will get easier and I won't want to give in then. We're eating very similar foods from day to day so it might be a bit of boredom creeping in. Another of my theories is that I'm not getting enough carbs. I've been consciously eating as many as I can, but with sweet potatoes and rice off the menu it makes it difficult. I've upped them today, and will do each day this week and see if that makes a difference.

I think doing GAPS is helping in that we've put so much effort into it and I don't want it all to go to waste. Other than the sugar cravings, its going really well. Its quite a bit of work but I'm getting the hang of it much more and some things are starting to flow a bit better. Its a bit like when we first went primal and it took a few weeks to get into the hang of making lunches every night.

Sugar is my nicotine...

Comment

Working...
      X