No announcement yet.

Stronger, Better, Faster, Happier

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just hold down the option/alt button and push "k". Seems less complicated.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Comment

• Crazy Mac user!! What are you doing on this thread!?!?!

Oh wait...
      ~It's All Relative!~
      34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
      Fitness Blog - Instagram
      Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

• I went to yoga at Mindful & Embodied on Wednesday night. It was incredible. Natalie (my teacher and soon-to-be-trainer) makes every class life changing. I don't know how, but every class sequence is new and challenging and exactly what I needed that day! We finished this class (which had me trembling with exhaustion and determination, and grinning through all of it), with a long savasana and guided meditation which I cried through, because I was so flipping happy! Then I floated home. Floated... laughing and crying at the same time. Uncontainable joy. There are no words for how incredibly right I feel about my choice to study yoga- right now and with her. My official training begins March 6th, but I am in study now. I am loving it. I'm so excited for the dedicated concentration that will come with deliberately making the space and time for yoga training in my life.

I find I still need my outside runs, and I am going to have to keep making time for those too. There is just nothing like running around in the wilderness with people that I love. I crave it. I wish I could go more often, and I wish for running partners with similar fitness levels to mine. I love to run with Misha and Alicia, but I do a lot of running ahead, then walking and waiting, and they never want to go as far or run for as long as I want to. So I could go with the guys. They are fun to run with too. But Then I'm the tail end who can't keep up or go as far or as long as they want to. And I want WLB to be able to just run without worrying about waiting up for me. We have trails groups that meet up to run- there are options almost every day of the week, but they are all far more advanced runners than I am, and I might as well run alone for as well as I'd be able to keep up. Besides, WLB needs the training miles more than I do, so I get to be babysitter often. His 50k is coming up quick. Running alone is not a very good option for me here, as there are mountain lion tracks everywhere... and then there's the whole engrained "girls shouldn't go out alone" mentality that makes me think cougars and rapists are watching me from the scrub oak. Plus running alone is no fun! That is my dilemma. So for now I go out with my besties and love it for all that it's worth. Hopefully I'll figure out a few longer training runs as Spartan Beast gets nearer.

I've started doing my short burst body weight and weight lifting exercises again. Hand stand practices, kettle bell stuff, push ups, pull ups, squats. And of course yoga... always yoga. My body is so happy when I'm active.

I'm doing all right at getting back on track with food. Seeing primal carbs and baked stuff as occasional treats instead of regular fare is helping. So is cutting back the snacks. I'm just trying to get back to basics. To love my food and not stress. The scale and little belly chub are starting to reflect my efforts a bit, so that's nice.

I'm just happy. I have preferences and things I am a little anxious for (like warmer weather), but I'm still loving where I am. My fam rocks, my friends are awesome, my husband is incredible and my kids are fantastic and hilarious.

I donated blood today. Last time I donated (years ago) I almost fainted because I was low in iron. Not today. Strong and healthy with nary a lightheaded waver. Yes.
        My Primal Journal

Comment

• Last Saturday the girls ran Meuller Park. It's gorgeous up there in any time of year. Conditions were pretty good and we had a ton of fun exploring different trails tracked out by snow-shoers and animals.
          This week, with Matt and Alicia on vacay and Misha not wanting to run in the awful awful air, WLB, Ben and I headed up Farmington Canyon. No sooner had we pulled into the parking lot than I realized I'd forgotten my Snow Trax. I had no traction. None. We decided to see how it went and go ahead to try to get above the fog and smog. The first mile was so miserable. A solid shell of ice (from the freezing rain we had Thursday) had formed over the snow and I swear I ran 3 steps to every step I moved forward. Once we made our way out of the mist around 1.5 miles, the ice and snow turned to slushy, unpredictable mess. Every step slid sideways one way or the other. It was so hard to run in! But the sun! And the fresh air! My lungs actually stopped itching for the first time in days! WLB wanted to get in a 10 miler, and Ben was up for it, so I said we'd go as far as I could handle in this and kept going. We saw some cool Mountain Lion Tracks on the way up. Been seeing a lot of those lately. Silly me- I'd figured that since it was warmer out, I could wear one pair of wool socks instead of two. Heh. Not so much. My feet were soaked in no time and then they turned to frozen stumps! I made it to 4.05 miles before turning around (the boys got in an extra half mile up and caught up to me). Unfortunately going back down wasn't much better! It was awful! WLB and I held hands to try to give me some stability most of the way (really it was for emotional support too). My hips and stabilizing muscles in my thighs and calves were screaming in pain. I'll admit that I cried a little and whined some too. I tried stopping to stretch, but as soon as I stopped moving, pains very near to child birthing levels would shoot down my low back and legs. It hurt to move, but it hurt more to stop. So we moved. I ran as much as I could just to get it over with. It was still slow going. 8.15 miles in 3 and a half hours. Going back into the muck was hard. It smelled awful and stung my lungs and nose. I pray that a storm with wash this all out soon!! I told WLB, "I swear I can run 8 miles without crying!" He just answered that running in the slushy icy mess was a whole different animal. He was right. That's an animal I do not want to come in contact with anytime soon. I'm already so sore! I hate to see what it will be like in the morning!
          Unfortunately we came home from that run to find 3 of our 4 kids sick and/or fevered. Not cool. Luckily the girls perked up a bit after naps and food. Poor Boy #2. He is so sick tonight. It hurts a mama's heart to see him this way! Carrying him up and down stairs with my achy legs has been crazy! Here's to clear days, healthy babes, and better runs ahead!
          My Primal Journal

Comment

• Stupid sickness is taking forever to be gone!
            You did great yesterday, those were some very harsh conditions! And I think without those you would have been fine. It was also a crazy climb!
            ~It's All Relative!~
            34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
            Fitness Blog - Instagram
            Join me on Fitocracy

Comment

• I hope you guys and the kiddies start feeling better soon!

Your resolve in the face of "ick" and difficult conditions is really impressive.
              Depression Lies

Comment

• I figure that if I can make it through four au natural child births, I can make it through a few miles... or 8... miles... of crappy running. It's true, the climb was impressive (over 3000 ft of vert). It's amazing the kind of confidence even one well-prepared birth gives you for the rest of your life!

Happy to report that the kiddos are doing much better. Fevers are down and much less whining is happening. I am just hoping to get some sleep tonight. Last night was not awesome. Girl child 2 had feverish nightmares and yelled for half the night. I slept a few fitful broken hours perched on the edge of her bed periodically comforting her and convincing her I wasn't a monster trying to steal her toys/a bad guy/Flynn Rider/Rapunzel/a mean man/or the Lorax. I stumbled up and down the stairs at least 5 times in the night. Makes for one sleepy mama. We are all still hacking over lung irritation from coughing so much, but we had a storm blow the inversion out and we could see the sky today!! We had to take a foot of heavy new snow to get clean air, but at this point, I'll take it! Plus, snow shoveling is a great workout- especially when it's heavy and you have to fling every shovelful significant distance because the piles near the edges of walkways are too piled up to not just tumble back into your path. Yay for default shovelglove workouts!

I am also quite pleased to report that my legs have been quite functional since our "run". My calves and abs are a little sore and my hammies and inner thighs feel the stretch for sure, but nothing any other good workout hasn't handed me. I'm actually pretty darn proud of how well my body is handling recovery.
                My Primal Journal

Comment

• We had a good few days of clean air... and the haze is coming back. It's been warm and sunny enough to melt some of our crazy snow accumulation and the massive icicles that are everywhere. I've been able to go out and about barefoot a couple of times. Makes me happy.
                  I had an epic breakfast this week that must be recorded. 3 eggs scrambled with HWC and kale, served with fresh salsa and avocado cream sauce along with 3 strips of bacon, and about 1/2 cup of a fermented blend of cabbage, apple, orange, onion and garlic with one more strip of crispy bacon crumbled into it. It was so. dang. good.

Yoga on Wednesday was fantastic as usual. I was super tired and my breathing was weird from this lingering cough/larygnitis I've had, so savasana was more rest than inspiration, but that's just how it is sometimes. At least I didn't fall asleep and snore!

Just started TTOM which, rather than making me moody angry mean, has been making me depressed, bloaty and crazy tired lately instead. It sucks. I hope it's over fast.
                  Saturday's run was... interesting.
                  Alicia wanted a short run (She finally announced her pregnancy to the fam! I'm so happy! I've known for weeks and had to check myself in conversation constantly!). The boys had already bagged Mt. Olympus that morning, but WLB and Matt wanted some more miles, so that came with us on one loop of the vitacourse (about 1.5 miles) and then WLB and I ran to the mouth of Adam's Canyon on the BST and back (about 3.35) for almost 5 miles total. (WLB's total for the day was 11.5). The day was warm, sunny and gorgeous! The problem was within the first few steps my snow trax stretched too far and popped off my feet. I couldn't get them to stay on for more than a couple of steps. I don't know if it was due to the warmth or the hard packed snow on the trail or what, but it was horrible. I finally ditched them and just ran in my zero traction Eves. Again with the slipping and sliding. Makes for slow going and a killer mean workout on the lower abs, hips and legs. The snow texture was crunchy and sharp with unpredictable depth from step to step and the trails were pitted and packed. Running off trail was like punching post holes. It kind of sucked, but the company was good!

Here's a pic of me angry at my snow trax:

And here's Matt, Alicia and me relaxing on the white sand beaches of Kaysville, Utah. (picture credit to WLB.)
                  My Primal Journal

Comment

• Beautiful scenery. I hope the congestive crud clears up soon! If you can, try a mix of any green tea steeped with Tazo Calm. It really helps to clear things up. Naiadknight calls it the Kill Everything tea .

Congrats to Alicia!
                    Depression Lies

Comment

• It's been too long since I updated. Too long to really catch up on. Which is a shame, because I have great pictures. But most of those who read my musings and respond regularly are my facebook friends (or live with me), so you've probably seen them already!

I'm just going to skip ahead then.
                      I've been running once a week- sometimes in blizzards (so fun). I've had steady once a week yoga class and intermittent and random meditation and personal solo yoga practice. I've been trying to throw the PEMs and weights back in there too. I've been doing okay on food- but I think I just developed lactose intolerance (thanks mom). I refuse to give up butter and occasional cream, cheese, sour cream, yogurt, homemade ranch and ice cream. So I took my dad's advice and bought some lactase. It helps. No more stabby-gonna-die belly followed my a noxious cloud of death. Weight went up to 155 (152-153 on the original scale) and has been there fairly consistently. Boo. I keep having to tell myself that happens in winter. I'm ready to be out in the sun and active more continuously. I'm also having some odd-for-me hormone stuff (TOM is 2 days late), which could account for the small weight gain. I lost almost all the winter gain a few weeks ago, and now it's back- but I've increased my activity and tightened up the diet some, so go figure. There's got to be something else at play. Honestly, I can't complain. My "issue" is a 7 lb weight fluctuation in a still-pretty-ideal-for-me weight range. It'll work out. Silly to stress over it- even if it does nag a bit at me.
                      The sun is shining today and the snow is melting. Girl child #2 (youngest of the 4) turned 3 on Friday. She is a gem. I took the kids to the zoo Thursday (all by myself! yay me!) and the Aquarium with my parents Friday. Today we went on a sunny walk around the backside trail of Lagoon Amusement park and saw Buffalo and Elk (they looked delicious). We took my nephew along. There was much play to be had today. Girl child 1 and I had awesome one on one reading and racing time outside in the sunshine while the youngest took an extended spontaneous nap and the boys were at a home school group. When I woke up this morning I thought today would suck, but it has turned out to be a very happy day indeed.
                      My Primal Journal

Comment

• So good to see you back. I was wondering how the homeschooling was going.
                        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Sounds like all good things. I picked up some Lactase last night after reading your post. Been having symptoms on lactose intolerance since September and haven't bothered getting any yet. I want to enjoy a meatzza from time to time!
                          Depression Lies

Comment

• Thanks honeybuns! Things are going well. We've fallen into a mostly unschooling pattern with some field trips and TJed thrown in here and there. I do wonder whether I need to implement some deliberate subject teaching curriculum now and then, but we'll see. We've got time.

Namelesswonder I hope the lactase helps you too. It isn't perfect for me, I still get a little gassy and I have to take it before any meal with dairy, but it helps a lot!

An acquaintance texted me the other day and asked if we could go out on the mountain together. She hasn't run seriously in years because of an ankle injury, but she loves to hike. Honestly, this is a woman I have been seriously intimidated by. She's a former lawyer turned mom of two- married to a lawyer. She's extremely direct, very fit, beautiful and well off. I was hesitant. She wanted to go during the morning when I'm home with my kids, so I was hesitant to leave them alone. But I've been trying to say yes to life's offerings more, so I did just that- I said yes. We met near her very large house in the foothills this morning and headed up the switchbacks, just talking away. We surprised each other with conversation topics. Everything just flowed. Before we knew it, we'd hiked 4 miles and sat chatting in her driveway. It's amazing what you can find to love about people when you just open up to each other. Turns out we went to the same high school- she graduated 12 years before I did. I had no clue she was that much older than I am. I would have been even more intimidated had I known. :P She was a band and drama geek. I was a choir and drama geek. It also turns out that she inadvertently intimidates a lot of people, and thus has few close friends, but she's just a mom, wanting what other moms want- for her kids to be active, happy and social, for her husband to love, understand and see her, and to have a little something of her own that allows her to be her. I'm excited to go out with her again next week.
                            My Primal Journal

Comment

• Yoga Teacher Training starts tonight!!!!! WOOT! **happy dance!!**
                              My Primal Journal

Comment

• Kakes you are truly an inspiration in so many, many ways.
                                "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Comment

Working...
                                X