No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Siobhan, exactly what we were running into. Radon test came back 36! Needed a new roof, extremely high water table, needs new hot water heater, furnace is old, all the appliances are at least 18 years old, and we would need to add a bedroom and a bathroom to make it work ... amongst other things ... just not worth it. I'd rather keep renting and that is saying something! We drove up a different canyon yesterday afternoon to look at another cute little cabin that looked (on the pictures) as though it could work well for us. What a mind numbing trip!!!! I had forgotten that the flood happened since we were last up that road - absolutely horrifying seeing the miles and miles of devastation on gigantic scale. It looks as though a giant kid had a huge tantrum and I still can't get over the extent of the tragedy. Not only did people lose their entire homes - the land is gone too! There is nothing to rebuild on - it used to be a really beautiful drive and yesterday we came home feeling traumatized! The cabin we went to see is intact - but the river washed away the whole yard within a few feet of the walkout basement .... you would officially own 3/4 of an acre but in reality most of that is now river bed ... you could see up the side of the canyon how high the water ran - I can't imagine seeing that from your house and wondering if you'd escape it. A house we looked at last year up this road is just gone as are the neighbors all up and down the road - there is NOTHING left. But all down the river there are still huge piles of wreckage strewn everywhere and they are still trying to get the main road repaired before the spring runoff. We've had a heavy winter and they are trying to get ready to for floods again. Just heart breaking thinking of all the lives that have been devastated. Very sobering and yet I am so grateful that we are not one of the survivors trying to piece our lives back together again. A picture of the canyon ... nowhere for the water to go as you can see!

20140415_155851.jpg

On a lighter note, I thought I would share a semi primal potty stop on our house hunting trips recently. Very chilly, but so very pretty. It is one of those state park sealed vault toilets. The extra fun thing is that there is a veritable gale blowing from underneath onto your exposed undercarriage!!! YIKES. Makes for an extremely quick potty stop

20140414_185531.jpg

DH and I have been doing the DD UD thing and it is going reasonably well. I have lost a wee bit of weight which I am grateful for. I am gradually getting back into the swing of it. I have been experimenting with timing of my RS and probiotics. Things do seem to be settling down gradually in the gut arena. Again, I am very grateful! I would not be driving around house hunting otherwise!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Interesting note - I am now taking 2 TBSP of RS in the am and 1 TBSP in the evening with 2 prescript assist with each dose. Things are waaaay better and I am finding I have less desire for sweet things and my tolerance for sweets seems to have diminished - in that I just don't want as much as I was used to devouring. This is a relatively new thing that I am noticing. I have also been doing ADF for about 10 days ... are these changing me? Is this going to continue or is it just a flash in the pan? I guess we'll see. I do know that I am feeling better in myself lately - mostly since starting the ADF. It cannot be overstated how much of a positive it is in my life to have lost a wee bit of fat and to be able to get into at least a few pieces of clothing without being squeezed within an inch of my life. I have never been a person to like tight clothing - loose is best for my mood! I REALLY didn't want to buy more fat clothes but it was not far off, so I am greatly relieved to be shrinking a bit again! Whew!

I have some teeth trouble going on .... an old crown is working its way loose so I have been eating on the opposite side to try and delay the visit to the dentist. Then I bit into a very hard carrot the other day and hurt my gum and the roof of my mouth and I feel as though I may have cracked a filling!!!! So right now I can't eat properly on either side. You only appreciate your teeth fully when they are not right! I have had so many different dentists over the years and have a boat load of fillings. Back in the day when I had no idea how much my diet was impacting my dental health! If I could go back and do it again - man alive! Anyway, I have done a lot of reading over the last few years about the impact of amalgam fillings on one's health - I really believe that this may well be a significant part of my health issues - so nebulous and hard to put your finger on, but real nonetheless. I have found a biological dentist about 1 1/2 hrs drive away and am taking the plunge next week to get the tooth/ filling sorted out and then hope to gradually get my mouth restored. I know it will be a long process, but I am hoping it will make a discernible difference. And a very nice thing is that my SIL is a dental hygienist/ tech and is going to glue my crown on again for me on Fri pm. That way I can eat while waiting for my dentist appointment!! I must say that the chewing is not an issue with chocolate though - it melts so nicely You should see me trying to eat my salad though - pathetic.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• RANT warning (don't read if easily offended) : A very stressful afternoon with my SIL. She wants to manipulate me into letting her office do the work on my teeth. But (and I know lots of people don't agree with this) I REALLY want to get some help from this Biodentist. There is so much more than just a sore tooth that needs dealing with and I am hoping that it might actually be refreshing to go to see someone that is not trying to push fluoride or amalgam fillings on me. I seem to be going through a prolonged season of having to stand firm when people try to push me into doing things that I really don't want to do. I always used to be so nice that everyone could just push me around. But having to deal with my parents these last 8 years has taught me to keep my boundaries up even while I try to be kind and respectful. I just don't like being condescended to - or 'mothered' by someone who is only 2 years older than me. I think because we got married later and my kids are young and I married the youngest kid of 8! the siblings all think I am a 'baby' like my poor DH. It is not easy being the youngest of 8 kids - though he always says he feels sorry for his brother that is just older than him. He reckons second youngest is even worse in that situation and I have to agree ... I think people (DH's family especially) think that I am not especially intelligent. After all I am a foreigner (only Americans are truly great!) and they have only known me as a stay at home wife and mom. They have no idea the work I used to do as an RN in ICU and the ER and as a qualified midwife ... and let me tell you, since you are probably never going to meet me, we had a WHOLE bunch more responsibility in South Africa as an RN than any RN's have here in the States. We didn't have enough doctors to go around when things got crazy and you just learned to do all kinds of things. You didn't have all these specialized branches in health care. As RN I did everything from suturing drunks to drawing arterial bloods to diagnosing (initial diagnosis in emergencies) collapsed lungs and many times helped out inexperienced doctors who were making some pretty serious mistakes that could have resulted in death for the patient. We didn't have respiratory therapists who would keep the ventilator all running smoothly - that was also our job. I used to have to open the 'meat wagon' (the police mortuary van) in the middle of the night and dig through all the corpses to make sure they were all dead and that there weren't potential patients in there. (and all the time hoping and praying that I didn't find someone I knew) I've seen the most heartbreaking things and the most awful sights you could imagine, and done things that someone living in this country probably would not be able to see just because of the different circumstances. This doesn't make me any better than anyone - but I wish people wouldn't look down on me because I am JUST a stay at home mom, and an eccentric one to boot. (I mean - what sane person won't let their kids eat bread and cookies and.....) And it isn't that I don't appreciate the SIL's skill and knowledge. I do not pretend to know everything - but she doesn't know everything either and I do have a brain lurking somewhere in this noggin of mine. CW has a whole boat load of crap in dentistry too and I just had it all shoved down my throat this afternoon. I REALLY wish I had backed out and just waited for my appointment on Wed with the biodentist ... it was so awkward and uncomfortable and I am seriously irritated with SIL even while being grateful for her time and generosity. She's just one of those people that thinks she has to rescue all the time and will try to force you to do what she thinks is best for you. She is very sweet, but truthfully she really doesn't know me at all, and doesn't want to. I haven't been to a dentist in about 8 years (due to finances partly) and she was telling me how awesome my mouth is looking - I only had a tiny bit of tartar on two teeth. NO cavities - just tons of very old amalgam fillings from the days when I had no idea what a huge impact my diet had. And I do not exactly have a good track record with teeth as I have loads of really big silver fillings. So aside from the frustrations - I do feel hugely encouraged that my mouth is so healthy due to our primal way of life. Yeah!

Comment

• Wow coll those scenic pix are stunning.

Too bad about the house, it wasn't to be. I really hope something even more suitable comes along soon.

Happy Easter to you and yours xx
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Thanks Annie! Happy Easter to you and your family too. We are just waiting to see if anything else comes up that will work for us within our tiny framework. We certainly are getting to practice our patience

Just after I finished my entry above there was a furor outside. The dog had caught a baby bunny and was running around the yard with it screaming all the way and DH trying to catch the dog. DH got some great exercise though I am sure his blood pressure was up in the sky! Dog could not be caught so we left her to eat her prize. 20 minutes later we go to call her in for the night and she is still carrying the bunny - DH caught her and we had to prize her jaws open (waiting all the while for her to get mad and snap at us) We thought it was dead but as I took hold of its tiny soft backlegs to pull it out of her mouth it started screaming again!!!!! Not a fun scene late at night (or any time for that matter!) Poor little thing hopped off a few paces so we picked it up and set it outside in a thick patch of grass - I found it right there this morning, died shortly after I think. I hate seeing creatures suffer. I know everything has a role and rabbits are for feeding just about everything - but, for it to suffer so long.... shudder! I went out this morning and found the 'nest' and pooch is going to have to resign herself to being on a leash when she goes outside for the next while. We have nestlings in the tree and bunnies in the yard and I am NOT having another scene like that if I can help it.

Comment

• I am trying the salt baked roast this evening - it is smelling delicious. Going to do that and a BAS. I picked up a couple small pork roasts the other day in the sale zone of the meat department (favourite place to shop!) and decided to roast them both so we have lots of leftovers for the next few days. Tomorrow I will be roasting lamb and what not so we should be set for a number of days! It will be lovely to have hubby off tomorrow again .... and being Easter he won't have to work at all. Yeah!

I find that my appetite seems to have settled a bit since doing the UDDD thing. Not as many cravings. I can eat chocolate without wigging out and wanting to eat a few bars of it. Very refreshing feeling.

Comment

• Mmm, so many roasts. You make me feel hungry, Coll.
                Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Ok, mini derailment as a result of too much sweet stuff on Easter. Yesterday was supposed to be a DD but right around lunch time I fell off the bus and lost it. Got to pull myself together again ... sugar and I are too close to disaster!

My crown that SIL put back on a few days ago came off again yesterday afternoon! Seeing the biodentist tomorrow morning anyway so he can put it back on - going to be an early start for the whole family. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there without taking morning traffic into consideration .... yikes. Early to bed for the kiddos tonight!

Comment

• I am not particularly looking forward to our trip to the dentist tomorrow. It is hard to think of all that money gone - poor DH just feels as though he can never get ahead. Just feels as though it has been one thing after the other the last few months. Major expenses all around and DH has had one after the other cancellations for jobs. From people losing their jobs to financing falling through etc etc. We are so blessed to have this job, only thing is it costs a boat load just to keep things up and running. A pretty big stretch keeping two families going on one income ... oh well, I am grateful that we are making it. Even if it is very tight financially we are alright. Just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and trust that God will work it out in the end. I am going to have to really work on relaxing in the dentist chair tomorrow. I had such a headache and stiff neck and shoulders after my little jaunt with SIL - kept realizing that I was gripping the heck out of my wrists. I am wondering how much more it is going to cost now that my crown came off ... hopefully not too much as it just needs some glue and the correct placement. Oh well, just have to walk through it and see what happens. DH is going to take the kids to breakfast while I do my thing at the dentist. Such a good daddy - and hubby. I am so blessed.

The kids and DH and I had a blast today. We got the 'duct tape' weapons together and had a 'battle'. It was great fun and I did some puffing (it is embarrassing how unfit I am at the moment - but at least I am doing something)

I am torn as to whether I should plant some cold weather crops in my gardens in case we don't move soon - part of me just wants everything to come together quickly. But I think that may be wishful thinking. There is hardly anything on the market at the moment (that we can afford that is!) and I think I may just need to take a chance and plant. Then if we are here when the crops are ready for harvest I'll be glad and if not, the cost of the seeds is not much. Plus gardening will get me moving again and it is wonderful therapy. Maybe it will help me start moving out of this funk I have been in for so long. On a positive note - the grass seed that I started a while ago has taken and the grass is starting to look healthier. We are going to have to mow soon as there are patches that were already there that are now getting very thick and long. I am waiting as long as possible to allow the dandelions to seed and spread ...

It looks like my potted plants that I buried under a pile of straw in the fall have all survived. Lovely! I just WISH I could plant them all out - some of them obviously are not particularly happy being confined to a planter.

Comment

• I just wanted to stop by and say Hi! I see you are still moving along. I'm moving forward again. Slowly but surely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coll View Post
                        I think I may just need to take a chance and plant. Then if we are here when the crops are ready for harvest I'll be glad and if not, the cost of the seeds is not much. Plus gardening will get me moving again and it is wonderful therapy.
                        Coll, that sounds like a convincing enough argument. How cold does it get where you are and what will you put in?

Sorry bout the tooth. I hate going to the dentist and avoid as much as possible.
                        Annie Ups the Ante

Comment

• Wondering how the dentist trip went? Hope it went well.
                          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Thanks for the thoughts all! I tried twice to post a reply last night and after it got deleted twice I gave up and went to bed. The dentist went okay despite the stressful start where we arrived late (Denver traffic is not fun at that time) and the difficult old foreign couple that took up so much of everyone's time and energy. Typical prima donnas! Anyway, I had my crown reglued again, and it feels good this time. Had a very in depth assessment of my mouth and teeth and a good discussion with the doctor about the issues going on. Pretty sobering, but nothing particularly surprising. I knew that I was going to need a huge amount of work due to the age and size of my flock of amalgam fillings. Cracks in teeth, a couple small cavities, a new crown needed, pretty extensive wear here and there and some poorly designed fillings etc all end up in a LOT of work needed. In about 10 days they'll send the treatment plan and then we get to discuss when and where etc we start the process. The good thing is there are no teeth that are going to be lost and aside from all this old stuff that is such a mess he said I have a very healthy mouth. I know this is going to cost a huge amount of money. So we'll wait until we get hit with the prices and then we'll decide how much to do. Saving as best we can ... this is when I miss the prices in South Africa. The dentistry here is astronomically expensive. But then, some of the trouble I am dealing with is the somewhat shoddy work that some of those dentists did - not all, but some! I must say though that some of my best and absolute worst dental experiences have been here in the USA. I still shudder to think how the one man treated me and how horrid he was and rough! I was much younger and didn't have the attitude I have now - I was such a door mat ...

Comment

• Today was supposed to be a DD but life happened and I was not focused enough ... grrr! I had a friend stop by with her baby this morning and it was so sad to hear her struggles with trying to work with him there with her. He is 6 months old and is needing more attention and is starting to get more mobile - just isn't working. (she does home health visiting) She is also concerned about him being exposed to weird illnesses ... anyway, the upshot is we will be looking after little M every Wednesday and Friday for a few hours in the mornings. The kids are thrilled (as am I). I am so glad that I can help her out - poor girl was sitting there with big tears in her eyes trying not to cry as she told me how he cries and she is unable to pick him up as she is in the middle of changing a trach tube etc. She is so stressed - I am so happy I can help out. I can only imagine how tough it must be. And we get the fun of a wee one in the house again. I think the kids are going to have a blast. Our dog is most impressed too - she loves kids, the more the merrier

Comment

• How great of you to help her out and what fun for you and the kiddos! This sounds like a really positive thing for everyone.
                                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

Working...
                                X