No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I am somewhat scarce on here at the moment. The family has succumbed to the bug that came home with DH. One of those slow moving bugs (makes me think of a slow moving storm system!) that everyone ALMOST fights off and then get sick. Honestly there are times that being a mom is hard, not that I would change it for the world of course. I have nursed everyone through their fits of coughing and feeling horrid, and was feeling ok until DS got sick and I have been sleep deprived for days on end. Just exhausted and then being coughed on at regular intervals too just is hard to keep resisting this d***n bug! So now everyone else is feeling much better and only now am I coming down with it. Sigh, I am hoping that I can get a good nights sleep tonight and keep up the defenses. I am feeling really tired, feel as though I did a series of sprints and overdid it. Scratchy throat and growly voice, headache and stinging eyes. But I may yet overcome ...

Good news, we put in an offer on the old farmhouse on 80 acres.... pray for us that the sellers accept the offer and that this works out. It is going to be tough financially as this month is also the month we have to pay my folks taxes as well as our own and a couple of other things that have come up. We used up our savings getting my folks back to SA so we are very thin on the ground when it comes to cash for closing costs and all those expenses. If we can just get through this next month and a half we'll be ok but I would so appreciate any and all prayers that it will work out. We just love this property and the little house is neglected but is going to be soooo cute once we are able to put some work into it. There are tumble weeds everywhere! They have all been trapped against fences and trees and honestly there are places where they have made a dense wall almost as high as my head! I can see that once the house is cleaned up the next order of business will be some serious burning of tumbleweeds - for those of you who don't know them they are really prickly! It is going to require some creativity to make the main level work for us right off the bat, but we are flexible and it is far enough out in the country that we don't have to worry about accommodating guests yet I have decided that I am not telling my folks until it is fait accompli as they have this knack of raining on our parade - we really want to enjoy this experience without them wrecking it with negative comments etc.

Exciting times - and scary! Will we have enough money for the earnest money etc, will the sellers accept it all - I am choosing to think about all the fun things we will be able to do there eventually instead. We'll deal with the challenges as they arise and not before. It is in God's hands now and either way it will work out in the wash.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Hi coll!!! So sorry about the bug running thru your house! It visited mine right after Christmas. I haven't been that sick in a long long time. Yuck!! Take care of yourself!!

I am sending so many positive thoughts your way for the farm!!! It sounds wonderful!
      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Thanks PC, looks like I am managing to fend off the worst of the bug which I am very grateful for! Just waiting to hear about our offer - tomorrow is the day they should respond by. Going to keep busy and not think about it for the moment. I am focusing on the blanket I am busy crocheting instead I am very happy with how the colours have worked out on that ... my family are all admiring my efforts - they are so cute.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Well, a bit of a nasty day to put it mildly. One of those days where it doesn't rain it pours?! We got a very surprising bill from our accountant for the taxes - something was awry with the calculations so we have thousands of dollars to fork out for our taxes!!!! And that is not figuring in whatever we are going to owe for my folks taxes too ... no way we can buy anything. We'll be lucky to make the payments without resorting to credit card (please God no!) 'Fortunately' the sellers of the place we made an offer on countered with a pretty ridiculous counter offer so we would not have been able to do it anyway ... seriously disappointing day. We waited a whole year to get to this point and now it turns out that we have been paying too little in taxes and it is going to take months to get over this. D@#%n!! DH and I are going to eat icecream and watch a movie. Talk tomorrow - sleep tight all.

Comment

• Well, I am delighted to announce that aside from a very minor scratchy throat and a day or two of feeling very slightly under the weather I seem to have evaded the 'bug' that the rest of the family got. And that despite the sleep deprivation Spring is trying to spring - little bits of green peeking out on the lawn and a few early trees with buds starting to swell.

We're off to our last crochet class for the moment - it has been fun. We're going to look at a different rental on THursday evening - just to feel like we have options. I don't think we are necessarily ready to move into another rental - the thought of signing a year lease is rather too final for me. Despite being heartily sick of living here we are on month to month now which gives us the freedom to move at short notice - worth a lot at the moment. Hopefully we can get on top of our cash flow issues over the next few months and then try the home buying again. It is all in God's hands however and I am choosing to leave it there and be peaceful about it. No use weeping and wailing and gnashing my teeth when there is absolutely nothing we can do to fix it. Just hunker down and then move on when we can.

Comment

• So it's a no go on the farm? Glad you're feeling better tho! Spring is trying hard to make itself known down here in the Deep South...another front blew in this morning & the wind is just howling! Low tonight 39. Enough already!! Everyone is ready for some warmth!!

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the farm and the sickies. This too shall pass - and let's hope quickly! I can't wait to hear you have your own place and probably lots of chickens and goats. Do goats eat tumbleweeds?

Spring has not sprung here yet - not even close! Why do I have a feeling that summer is going to be beastly hot?
                My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Oooh Siobhan, not a hot summer pleeeeeaase! I was hoping we'd have a mild summer and a wetter one than usual here in CO just for a treat. I am hoping that this winter was enough to put a serious dent in the pine beetle population that has devastated so many thousands of acres of trees ...

I was wondering whether goats eat tumble weeds - I know they eat a lot of stuff that nothing else is interested in. I am being very patient with just waiting until we can pay off our bills and start over (again!) with house hunting and HOPEFULLY find a place.

Comment

• Revisiting the laryngitis, bronchitis that I would have certainly come down with in the past - I am so pleased to see that things have changed so much even though I am very overweight. I am a 'healthy' overweight (if there is such a thing!) I used to get laryngitis and bronchitis all the time and with the amount of exposure to the bug that the whole family had and the fact that I was so tired I 'should' have gotten pretty sick - just another example of how much better off I am since going primal! Very grateful. I have started us all on a little CO every day - kids first day today. I wasn't sure how they (esp DS) would tolerate it - non issue it turns out. So I will gradually increase it to a couple of TBSP every day. No point in rushing it but it is a start

Comment

• I know that goats eat thorny bramble - some acquaintances used goats to clear their property of some nasty stuff. They borrowed the goats for the summer. But I am no goat expert! Just an admirer of all things goat. But I am thinking that tumbleweed is not so far off from bramble.

Glad you're over the sick and the CO is going well. Personally I am so much healthier than I was before primal that it is astounding, especially given the fact that I am exposed in a very big way to every sort of infectious illness that happens to be going around. Of course I work in an environment where it is not only acceptable but an ironclad rule to protect oneself with hand hygiene, clothing, and masks. For several months now every hospital employee has been walking around with a mask either over their face or hanging off an ear if they are not near a patient. It's really a shame that we don't do this more in our society, it would cut down on illness. Anyway, I'm off on a tangent!

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Siobhan, tangents are welcome

I have been reading Chris Kresser's book Your Personal Paleo code - I am very hopeful that I might find the key to my missing link in here. Just going to finish off some of the food that is already prepared that doesn't fit the Reset and then will start doing that. I am hoping that DH will join me - it can take him a while to get his head around what is required, but he is usually willing to join me in these endeavours - good man that he is! I have asked him to please read the book too so that we are on the same page all the way through.

Comment

• Well, surprise! I reread the label on one of my supplements and discovered in tiny writing below all the other things it didn't have in it, that it has wheat in it. Not sure how I missed that! BUT that explains some of the upset stomach issues!!! I have chucked those out and have ordered some more that is really and truly allergen free! Honestly, I am an avid label reader and somehow I missed that ... so glad I found it though.

Comment

• Coll, so glad to hear from you! Another one that sneaks in is SOY. I was horrified to find my Vit D3 had soybean oil in it. It was hidden away in tiny print somewhere. You can bet I was extra careful when I bought new supplements. Soy has never agreed with me, even when I was CW I knew soy was not good for me.

Comment

• It is incredible how such a tiny amount of wheat had me feeling so bad! Just reinforces to me how I really am sensitive to it! I have not had any of those supplements for a couple of days and it is amazing the difference I feel already ... creepy how that stuff sneaks in through the most unexpected avenues. Yup, I am really careful of soy - though I do ok with tamari once in a while that is the ONLY kind that we have and as I said I am a paranoid label reader ... it still sneaks through once in a while!

Comment

• Originally posted by Coll View Post
                                ... creepy how that stuff sneaks in through the most unexpected avenues. Yup, I am really careful of soy - though I do ok with tamari once in a while that is the ONLY kind that we have and as I said I am a paranoid label reader ... it still sneaks through once in a while!
                                That is so true!! I have to be more careful with soy I think. I have always been a bit sensitive...but oh how I love Chinese food!! . Re: sneaking in...I've read that folks who have Celiac's have to be so careful of cross contamination. I wonder sometimes if some of us with sensativities should be more careful & treat ourselves as a celiac patient. And when we eat out you just never know what they are doing back in the kitchen!

So have you been painting any cute little rocks? I've been working away creating things for my sis in law to take with her this weekend to a huge antique show/flea market she's doing about 2 hrs from us. Hope some things sell, I could use the money! I need to pay for my booth for a show I'm doing next month.

Well I hope your weather is becoming more springlike! Ours is, thank goodness!

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Comment

Working...
                                X