No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Coll...glad to hear the big D has stopped! I agree with Sabine, it's the pits! Just makes you feel so tired & drained. Oh! Pun not intended! lol. Hope it stays away!

Oh guess what!?? I got my first order last night! I was so excited! lol. I'm planning to do two craft shows in April....so need to get busy & make more stuff. I'm hoping to generate more traffic to the website.

I do know what you mean about the wind!! I have said many times that I don't remember the wind blowing like it has the last year or so. I hate it. Blows your hair...makes it hard to walk (even for my poor chickens!), dries your skin out! I live on a flat prairie with not many trees, so there is just nothing to stop it! I don't mind a gentle breeze...but what we usually get is ridiculous! It's always something with the weather isn't it??!! lol.

Have a super Sunday!!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• My tummy is so much more settled than it has been in ages. I am realizing that those very important microbes in my gut really need those starches. I am going to make an effort to add in some of the more natural ones as well as the potato starch. We really like dolmas, which are loaded with RS, and have dug up a couple recipes to try. DH and DD both really like these and it is a good way to get some tasty natural RS into our systems. Pickled grape leaves and rice and spices and olive oil - that is a good combo. Only thing is they are kind of pricey.

Siobhan, you are so right. I was so surprised that I just let them in ... but I was just talking with honey and saying that if it ever happens again I am going to say, "no - come back in half an hour". Sometimes these things have to happen to get us thinking about what we should do. I am terrible with that stuff - I always err on the side of polite and gracious and end up getting run over. That has been the benefit of living with this landlord right here - I have had to learn how to say no and just leave it there, instead of trying make excuses or be the free babysitting service. Just trying to keep breathing and learning and keep my focus on good things. Only about a month and a half before we can start looking for our own place (I think)

Today we are taking the kids to the local firestation for a tour. This is a tiny town and DH did some work for a lady firefighter recently. She offered to show us around - pretty cool since being homeschooled means the kids don't always get the cool field trips. I know this will be neat for the kids as we had that really bad fire close by two summers ago and DD is still panicky whenever she sees smoke. Hopefully this will help her calm down a bit.
      Last edited by Coll; 02-23-2014, 09:26 AM.
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I saw the doc on Monday. I have stopped the Potato starch for now as well as the psyllium husk as he said both can be constipating. And sure enough things are moving again. I still want to take the PS but will wait until things are working more normally and then start really gradually again. And if I get to the diarrhea stage again for some reason I know that the PS will slow things down real fast! He agreed that I am very low in enzymes - he said that the fact that I was fine on my down days and then as soon as I started eating I got diarrhea was a sure sign of depleted enzymes. I am going to continue the 5 caps with each meal for 2 or 3 more weeks and then may cut it back just a bit. Still taking the prescript assist and am happy with that. I am glad things are settling down again as I am really needing to get back on the wagon of weight loss and healthy eating. I have been on a sugar run lately - and my weight has soared up to 220 lbs (and of course Aunt Flo is here too) That time of the month seems to be bad for sugar issues.

I am not enjoying the chilblains - between my toes and under my toes - incredibly itchy and somewhat painful too. This has been a long winter and I am looking forward to warm air and sunshine on my skin again. I have a gardening urge growing at an alarming rate Last frost date is about May 10th here ... I am also looking at chicken breeders and am planning which birds I want to get ordered as soon as we know we have a place lined up to buy. Spring fever is building!! I'm tired of frozen chicken waterers, layers of clothes every time you step out of the door ....

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• D@mn sugar! I had a sugar attack the other day. These days when I eat too much sugar I get a terrible headache. That's another problem with the blasted stuff, you can eat a lot of it fast. (Almost impossible to do that with steak.)

I really want some chickens!
          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I have a post sugar day headache this morning you'd think I'd have learned by now that the d@mn stuff is poison. Not good when you are addicted to the stuff! As always I do fine if no sugar passes my lips but the minute something sugary gets onto the tongue the rest is history. I really need to start over with the sugar especially and do a month sugar free. For me that means no chocolate (because I only really enjoy the milk chocolate!) and no ice cream. Otherwise I am doing fine without sugar ... I don't even miss it after the cravings stop. I just have to get to the point of no cravings again. And in fact, with Easter looming somewhere in the not too distant future I want to try and come up with ways to enjoy Easter without a single bite of chocolate this year. I mean really, the meaning of Easter is profound and is a very important holiday for us. How has it become this mess of feeding addictions and getting me in a major slump every year? Pretty sick really and the opposite of what Easter really stands for. So I am going to try and be creative this year and come up with other fun things to do and eat and ways to celebrate that don't include chocolate as the mainstay! I was thinking of painting a bunch of little stones for the kids so they each have a little collection of painted critters. They do seem to like them and enjoy playing with them .... and I think I should paint DH something special and have him do a treasure hunt for it. We love doing those and haven't done them forever. I can't believe we have been in Colorado almost 3 years! Easter day will be 3 years for us - what a wild ride it has been and it isn't over yet!

I want to start today with making small consistent changes in how I do everyday life. SO, starting today, I am going to do 5 squats before taking any snacks and while doing so see if I can bypass the snack altogether. I think that if I have just a few seconds to think about it I may come to my senses and remember that I am not actually hungry. And I am going to have something veggie with every meal - even if it is only a handful of baby carrots. Start small and keep on building on it ...

I was wondering if you guys could share some of your favourite veggie dishes with me. I am in such a rut with the veg and I am sure that this is part of not being excited about making them. What are the things you do to make sure you get enough veggies every day? Time saving tips etc.

I haven't painted for weeks and am feeling the lack, my poor table is sitting there all neglected and there are a bunch of stones half finished just begging for the next coat of paint.

Siobhan, chickens are the ultimate in entertainment and there are so many kinds that everyone could have some. I am just thrilled thinking about which ones we can get. They are really cheap to buy, economical to feed, and the best eye candy too. We used to have a big flock of over 70 birds and it is so awesome having your own eggs and meat from birds that live the happiest lives. I had no idea how much fun they are until we had our own flock and I HATE having to buy eggs from the store. OK, I know most of you probably could care less, but the breeds I am hoping to get are the Salmon Faverolles, Orpingtons (can't decide which colour yet torn between gold laced or lavender or jubilee!) and partridge Silkies. The chicks are the most fun part in a way and they grow SOOO fast. There is nothing cuter than a silkie hen with a bunch of chicks peeking out from her feathers ...

Comment

• Well, a bit of a regression today in that I had another of the episodes of diarrhea. I took some potato starch and that seemed to sort it out for me. I just took one teaspoon ... what the heck is going on? I decided to take fewer enzymes in case I am missing the clues that I am not needing as much as I am taking. I am feeling ok after dinner without the full load of enzymes. Maybe I am taking too much ...

I am not in a good place with my weight at the moment - 221 lbs this morning. Deep sigh ... my pants are way tight and my clothes in general are not good for my mood! I have got to get back to watching what I eat. I am contemplating getting Chris Kressers book- Your personal paleo code. Sometimes I think I am making everything too complicated - but then the diarrhea comes back and throws me off.

We drove out into the country today to look at a property up for sale. I don't know if it will still be available when the time comes for us to actually buy, but it looks as though we could have a blast there. It is an old farm house on 80 acres, probably a real fixer upper since it is something we can just barely afford But the possibilities are many and it was so peaceful. The view of the whole range of mountains is stunning! Waiting to get all the documents lined up so we can get pre approved etc. etc. There are a few other places that are vague possibilities too and of course as spring draws nearer there should be more to check out.

Comment

• I can't give any advice about your diarrhea (wouldn't that be nice if I had the answer!) but I have been very happy with implementing Kresser's recommendations on resistant starch. I don't eat that much (at least I hope not) but I eat some every day and the digestive results have been excellent.

The farm sounds great! I hope this all happens soon for you. It will be so much fun to read about your adventures.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I have to say that I trust Chris Kresser's recommendations more than the doc I see despite his being a naturopath. The doc is not really on the same page as far as diet etc goes. I decided to do what he recommended and see what happened. 3 days with no RS and back to diarrhea. No thanks. Going to go back to 1 teaspoon of RS daily and just leave it at that amount until I am sure I am tolerating it without constipation. And I am going to up my intake of natural forms of starch too by including some form every day in our meals.

Comment

• I love vegetables. Cutting back on the variety while I have been sorting out my digestive issues has been a burden. So I don't have any tips, per se, about getting more into my life. [Notice that this does not stop me from giving these non-existent tips, below! ] That was never my issue.

But I DO have favorite dishes. Things I like so much that I will just scoop some up, any old time. I think you should find some favorites and keep them on hand, so it is easy to just HAVE them.

And the first thing I would suggest starting with, is a vegetable soup. Some combination(s) that you love, and always have some in your fridge. Eat two cups before lunch or dinner, and when you want a snack.

I love the idea of little painted critters for Easter instead of candy. In our family, it is my husband who is the candy-fiend. I have tried moving to quarters in the eggs, but if there's not enough candy for him, he just goes out and buys more. It's a problem.

Comment

• Sabine I like the idea of veggie soup - I shall have to look for some recipes. Soup is such a nice thing in winter ... plus I can make up a big batch that will last for days.

I had another day of upset stomach, not sure what or why. I have caved and ordered Chris Kresser's book, Your personal paleo code. I think I am going to have to do an elimination diet of some form to exclude whatever is causing the diarrhea. Not sure what is upsetting things but I am going to start journaling everything that passes my lips and the times as well as the time that it exits. I have found that light meals like apple and cheese and veggies seem to sit just fine and even seem to settle things down again. As for the rest, I'll try to see what pattern emerges after a few days of charting my foods etc. Off to make some fried eggs and grapefruit.

Comment

• Such a beautiful day today - about 55F and sunny, no wind for the most part. Actually had sun on my arms for the first time in a looongg time We got to play with 2 week old miniature goat kids - toooooo cute. The one just loves to jump up into your lap for a snuggle. Makes me even more interested in getting some Nigerian dwarfs....

No upset tummy today - I am still taking just one teaspoon of potato starch and things are moving albeit a little slowly. I think that I just need to persist and keep taking 1 teaspoon until my system is working well on that and then try upping it very gradually. I am waiting for my new kefir grain to arrive from Scotland. I also ordered a viili culture at the same time to make a yoghurt type product. I am trying to get plenty of fermented goodies at the moment but I find yoghurt from pasteurized milk just leaves me feeling weird so I hardly ever eat it. I have two versions of sauerkraut at the moment and we are enjoying having homemade 'kraut again. The one batch is a real concoction and it turned out really yummy. How's this for a fun combination? Cabbage, turnip, onion, garlic, turmeric, coriander, chili powder, freshly ground black pepper and of course salt ... a slightly spicy and slightly sweet flavor. Something totally different - sometimes I want to taste something totally new and this did it for me. DS is not fond of sauerkraut - but he is willing to eat about a teaspoon of homemade 'kraut. So he eats it on sufferance - I hope that he can develop a taste for fermented veggies eventually. We are about half way through these jars of 'kraut so I better get going and make the next couple jars.

DH and I were up way late last night talking. When we get talking the time whizzes by and it can get really late without us noticing. SO I am pooped today ... off to have a shower and hit the sack.

Comment

• Sunshine on bare skin is such a good feeling, Coll, especially after a long winter.

You are brave to eat your own sauerkraut - I made some and had only the barest nibble. It was fine, but I just feel apprehensive about it. There's never a good time to risk getting sick.
                          Annie Ups the Ante
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Annie- Sandor Katz, a fermentation expert and author, impressed me very much on his NPR interview with the scope of his knowledge. He said there have been NO deaths or serious illness reported from from consumption of fermented foods in the US, compared to the scores from commercially prepared items, sometimes even raw ones. Remember the spinach incident?

Comment

• Sabine, you got it! I have made and eaten homemade sauerkraut for years - my family with me. It has only ever helped our health. I have never had a batch go bad on me - though apparently if something happens to make it bad, you will KNOW! There are no half measures when a ferment goes bad, either it is good or it is NASTY. Annie, we have been told for so long that everything made by us is second rate and only things made and ok'ed by the government (or approved vendors) is safe and/or good quality. Just look at the statistics and you will see that this is inherently untrue! It has been so empowering for me to realize that so many of these foods are actually so much better for you when made at home. I really, really, really like Sandor Katz's stuff. It is his methods that I use to make wine, mead and all the other yummy ferments. Oh and Sally Fallon of Weston A Price foundation. I make beet kvass too - now that stuff is really different but so delicious. DH and I love it when I have it on hand - a shot a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

• I trust my own concoctions WAY more than anything storebought. Actually I've never been sick from own cooking. Can't say the same for restaurant and prepared food.

Comment

Working...
                                X