No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coll....I hope you can get your digestive issues under control. Next time I go to town I'm going to get me some of the d.e. I think I'm going to try them...sometimes after I eat, within 20-30 mins I have to hit the bathroom quick. They seem to be helping some that are having the same issues. Don't think they can hurt.

Sorry about the parent's issues. So they moved back to SA? Is there family over there that could help out? Govt assistance? Sounds like they really could use it if available.

Have a great day!!
    Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• I am just so tired at the moment, constant headaches too, so unlike me. The tired part was better for a while but since the headaches started I am feeling wiped out. I did have a lot of diarrhea for a few days - every other day actually until I stopped the ADF - and I guess that may be playing into the tiredness. I probably should do extra magnesium for a few days - maybe that is low. My bowels seem to have settled back into constipation for the most part now - which temporarily is more comfortable than the diarrhea and at least doesn't have me sprinting for the loo with my legs crossed (virtually impossible if you haven't tried it!)

I do find the digestive enzymes seem to be helping. Yes, PC, my folks moved back to SA. Well, we moved them as my dad was having 'cardiac' issues and seemed to need cardiac catheterization and a stent. (which we couldn't afford to pay for) Turns out that after a boatload of tests etc in SA he has absolutely nothing wrong with his heart - which I suspected since he is rather a hypochondriac at the best of times. I have no doubt he was experiencing something but it wasn't his heart. So they are back in SA and we no longer have nightmares of having to pick up the bill after they have some major health event. Two of my brothers live near by and help as much as they can - mostly practical help as neither has much money, and my other sibling lives in Taiwan and he and his family are struggling financially. My folks are getting the only government assistance there is available. If we don't help out they'd be in dire straits. At least this way they have a safe and comfortable place to live in and food to eat and access to medical resources. Unfortunately those all come at a cost to them and us - but this is the real world and we still have to eat and function here too. It has been extremely stressful, but I am feeling a lot less stressed now that there isn't a $45 000+ bill looming over us! I have however sprouted a lot of white hairs over the last couple of years - I worked hard for them! lol.
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• So sorry to hear you are feeling bad and many hopes that you will feel better soon. Take care!
        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I hope you feel better soon. And I hope that things are ok with your folks. It's tough when you have aging parents. We are going thru quite the challenge with hubby's mother. *sigh*

Hope you have a nice evening!

Comment

• Thinking of you. Hang in there.

Comment

• Thanks all, I am doing ok today. I have just had to let go of trying to fix the folks problems for them. Otherwise I can work myself into quite a state about it - and with no change in the results, hence not worth it

After feeling somewhat constipated for a couple days after all the diarrhea, my tummy is working well and things are feeling much better in that realm I do still have that headache though - hopefully that will depart soon. I am drinking my morning cup of tea with my breakfast instead of first thing in the morning and that seems to be preventing the diarrhea response. Maybe the issue is that I have not been able to digest the fat properly and of course a hearty shot of heavy cream is a good load of fat. I am up to 5 of the d.e. per meal and it really seems to be helping. No burning sensation yet so will continue like this for a while until I start to feel the heat.

I thought todays success story was awesome - so encouraging. Especially for those of us who have not seen many changes in our weight and fitness. I know I need to get moving - but I need to also start slow. I do tend to go all or nothing and I think it will be good for me to do a small amount regularly rather than nothing or too much once in a while! It also applies to the state of our house - it is a complete dump at the moment and is so overwhelming to figure out where to start esp when you think you have to get it all done in one shot. I think I am going to pick one room and get it sorted and then try to maintain that room while I take on one more. All the upset tummy issues really threw me off - I had to hover near the bathroom and felt awful, shaky and dizzy until the spell had run its course. At least now I am not feeling weird and can get going on some more of the regular tasks around the house.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I can relate to the parental problems - my mom had her recent problems and hospitalization and, while I admire her ferocious independence, her automatic rejection of any suggestion that might help her stay in her home and maintain her health was pretty distressing. Towards the end of my visit I was just sitting there not even responding as she complained nonstop about, well, everything. She's my mom and I love her, but if she would just try...listen a little bit...I don't preach at her and I try to give realistic options, but I get less than zero back. We just do the best we can and have to be satisfied.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I hear you Siobhan, sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and hope that they don't wreck things too badly. Can be very frustrating indeed - I sympathise!

I am not doing too well at the moment. I am still primal - don't think I will ever be anything else. However I am struggling with some pretty good size challenges in the realm of the gut function and it is messing with me. I am never sure whether what I ate is going to set me off and have me hovering 5 feet from a toilet for hours or if I'll have a good day like today where I had no digestive issues. More issues than not lately and it is driving me scatty. I have missed a few social events and haven't been able to go grocery shopping or run errands like I should have. I am just keeping on looking for the missing key here - going to see the doc next week to brainstorm with him. I have ordered some Prescript assist and Potato Starch, and psyllium husk which I am going to add really slowly to see if that helps. Just not sure if I should first do the SIBO diet to deal with any bacterial overgrowth. I really think this is a continuation from that food poisoning I had some time ago. I have never felt 100% back to normal since - time to figure out what is going on and take the next step in regaining my health.

Comment

• What a beautiful day today!! It was about 65F and the sun was shining - we all spent a number of hours outside until the wind blew up and then it wasn't so nice. It rained this evening - just confirming that we are over the hump of winter. The birds are all chittering in the trees and it was soooo nice to soak in some sunshine.

A major awesome thing this morning.... some months ago nearing the end of October DH checked his beehive and found that there were absolutely no cells with eggs or larvae! He couldn't find the queen so assumed that something must have happened to her. We were pretty bummed, as there was nothing we could do that late in the season to help them out and it seemed that after the huge blessing of finding the swarm and them doing SO well this year, that we were going to lose the hive. So, with today being good weather, we decided to go and see if there were any bees left, or if they were all dead. We were going to bring the hive home and start harvesting the honey. Well, to our absolute amazement, there were loads of bees and they were very busy and looking really good!! We have both spent the rest of the day just feeling so thrilled. I guess the queen was just taking her vacation in the fall!! (very unusual for her to quit laying and then start up again!) Feeling so blessed!

We are agonizing over trying to find a home here. It is so hard to find something that is not going to be ridiculously expensive and that will still work for us. Please pray that we will have wisdom to know when we see the right place and even where to look. So many places look nice initially and then you find out that you are not allowed to garden or have chickens etc etc. This is even places that are 45 minutes drive out into the country!! How weird is that?

I have had a couple of better days as far as my digestive system goes - a little trouble, but very little in comparison to what has been going on.

This evening we had burgers in the primal cheese bread buns - so yummy! There was not a word at the dinner table as everyone was too busy munching. And nice to know that the potato and tapioca are actually beneficial and I don't need to feel guilty or that I am overloading on carbs. We just made sure to wait until the buns had cooled .... Getting a little bit of RS as well as a dose of yumminess.

My chilblains are bugging me at the moment - soooo itchy! At least they heal up reasonably quickly compared to what I have heard about the usual length of time it takes. Going to see the doc on the 24th - hoping to make more progress.

Comment

• I sympathize with you Coll on the gut issues. I can eat the same thing two days in a row & one day I will have "issues" & one I won't. Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason to it!! It is so very frustrating!! I hope the supplements you got will help. I will be interested to see how they work for you.

I can also sympathize with y'all on the parent issues. Been dealing with my mil for years & it's getting worse. Her kids can kinda see it, but they say they just don't know what to do about it. I have my own mother to look out for...altho she's not as bad as my mil (altho my hubby thinks otherwise) so they'll just have to figure it out. I hope I'm not a burden to my son when I get old. I'll try not to be.

How awesome on your bees!!!! Hubby's nephew has some hives & gave us some honey one year. I think that was the best honey I've ever had! I need to ask him if he's gotten anymore. Good luck on the house issue. You could always move to Texas!! We have lots of room to grow gardens & have chickens! I have both!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Comment

• That is exactly the deal PC. One day something sets me off big time and I eat the same stuff on another day and nothing at all happens - too weird. I thought for a bit it might be the digestive enzymes - but after cutting way back on those it is not that. starting today I am taking some potato starch (1 tsp to start - don't want any crazy reactions) and 1 prescript assist. I am not waiting until I see the doc next week. Today I feel stopped up in the digestive system. My weight is fluctuating rather widely at the moment - after a day of the runs it is down (obviously) and then after a couple more normal days it is up and I am just not going to worry too much about it until I have the gut issues settled. I am not eating a whole lot at the moment - sometimes I get mad! I eat way better than a lot of folks and here I am still looking like a ten ton Tessy - DANG! So many people look at you and immediately judge that you stuff your face with food all day long. I feel really self conscious sometimes when grocery shopping - I HATE being fat. I am sure people think I am loading up on too much conventionally 'bad' stuff like fat and meat ... I am not exactly a good ad for primal WOE. Not like I can walk around with my blood test results pasted to my forehead along with a sign saying - " I am actually healthier than I look"

We are excited about the bees PC because there is enough honey (we think) that we can harvest a fair amount for our own use. It is the main sweetener that we use and I am also looking forward to having bees wax around to add to lotions and making candles etc. It is going to take a while to accumulate enough wax to do much - but it is a start. Honey is such an all round great thing to have in your house - fantastic for putting on burns and wounds - they heal up really well. I usually mix a little lavender and geranium essential oils into the honey and put a nice generous smear on. Works beautifully and is very soothing too. I know, I am weird - love that kind of stuff

It is always sobering seeing your folks in their senior years and trying to think how to avoid becoming like them! I think having a happy outlook on life, staying flexible and always learning, valuing others and appreciating their efforts on your behalf and saying so, trying to be loving and caring and kind and respecting others choices even when you don't agree. OF course there is much more, but just a little effort would go a long way - just a bit of appreciation would help so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coll View Post
                          That is exactly the deal PC. One day something sets me off big time and I eat the same stuff on another day and nothing at all happens - too weird. I thought for a bit it might be the digestive enzymes - but after cutting way back on those it is not that. starting today I am taking some potato starch (1 tsp to start - don't want any crazy reactions) and 1 prescript assist. I am not waiting until I see the doc next week. Today I feel stopped up in the digestive system. My weight is fluctuating rather widely at the moment - after a day of the runs it is down (obviously) and then after a couple more normal days it is up and I am just not going to worry too much about it until I have the gut issues settled. I am not eating a whole lot at the moment - sometimes I get mad! I eat way better than a lot of folks and here I am still looking like a ten ton Tessy - DANG! So many people look at you and immediately judge that you stuff your face with food all day long. I feel really self conscious sometimes when grocery shopping - I HATE being fat. I am sure people think I am loading up on too much conventionally 'bad' stuff like fat and meat ... I am not exactly a good ad for primal WOE. Not like I can walk around with my blood test results pasted to my forehead along with a sign saying - " I am actually healthier than I look"

We are excited about the bees PC because there is enough honey (we think) that we can harvest a fair amount for our own use. It is the main sweetener that we use and I am also looking forward to having bees wax around to add to lotions and making candles etc. It is going to take a while to accumulate enough wax to do much - but it is a start. Honey is such an all round great thing to have in your house - fantastic for putting on burns and wounds - they heal up really well. I usually mix a little lavender and geranium essential oils into the honey and put a nice generous smear on. Works beautifully and is very soothing too. I know, I am weird - love that kind of stuff

It is always sobering seeing your folks in their senior years and trying to think how to avoid becoming like them! I think having a happy outlook on life, staying flexible and always learning, valuing others and appreciating their efforts on your behalf and saying so, trying to be loving and caring and kind and respecting others choices even when you don't agree. OF course there is much more, but just a little effort would go a long way - just a bit of appreciation would help so much.
                          Coll I know how you feel. It sucks how sometimes it seems our bodies work against us. When you go for months of good eating & the scale doesn't move...or else it does...up...it gets disheartening. That's why I'm trying to take marcadav's advice & trying to get in the mindset of just eating healthy...& not worrying about losing weight. You would think that would be easy, but it's hard! . I quit worrying about what people might think of what I buy at the store a long time ago. Since there are two other people in my house the junk food is for them. There is usually good stuff mixed in with the yucky stuff. lol.

Well if you're weird then I am too. I love honey...& yes it is antibacterial, antimicrobial, that's why it's so good for wounds. It also has practically no expiration date. I love essential oils too. I hope you get lots of good honey from your hive!!

Every thing you said about getting older is so right on. That's how I want to be when I get old...heck I try to be like that now! lol My mil is exactly the opposite & makes everyone around her miserable. I soooo don't want to be like that.

Have a great evening!!

Comment

• I haven't been around for a bit - just trying to get the gut issue under control again. I am glad to report that the day I started with 1 teaspoon of potato starch and Prescript Assist the diarrhea stopped! I am not stressing about whether to eat something or not in case it precipitates a nasty episode. I am struggling with the swing of the pendulum now, but my psyllium husk arrived in the mail yesterday so I am hoping this will get things moving along again. I am just so relieved to be able to eat without fear! I am still being careful with black tea - just having some once in a while instead of every day. I have taken to drinking honeybush or rooibos instead and I have cut way back on the pasteurized cream - too darn expensive aside from a whole boatload of calories when I am toooo fat. I have Aunt Flo pending in the next couple days so once her visit is over I am going to try and do a reset. I'm seeing the doc on Monday afternoon and am interested in what comes of that meeting.

DH has been ill for a few days - he so seldom gets sick but he got a nasty cold this time and has been feeling miserable. Between the kids not sleeping well and DH being restless and snoring fit to deafen an army my sleep has been pathetic for about a week. Yesterday I ate two bars of chocolate!!! Yikes!

I am sooo tired of the wind - it just wears on you and it makes it hard to be outside for long, and really limits what you can do. The temperatures don't look bad on the thermometer but when you add in strong wind it is miserable. Everything has to be tied down, kids can't jump on the trampoline or they'll get blown off it! (We have the trampoline staked into the ground with fence posts and even then sometimes I wonder if it will get pulled up)

We had the kids last tennis lesson yesterday - they have really been enjoying it. Hoping that more will be organized. We started a crochet class on Wednesday which was really fun and even DS is working on a trivet It is painstakingly slow going with him, but he is thrilled to be doing it. There was another boy at the class, who is buzzing along crocheting blankets and hats and scarves. I think DS was inspired seeing another boy interested...

We have at most a couple of months before we look at buying a place - I am hanging in there. I am so VERY ready to be done with this place. So ready to be done with the schmarmy landlord who is so disrespectful of us!!! I was busy doing school a few days ago, late morning, when there's a banging on the door. Sure sign that it is the landlord, only person who knocks as if he is trying to knock the door down. When I open the door he is standing there with a woman from the bank who needed to come in immediately to take pictures of the interior of the house!!!!!!!!!! I mean, not even 1 minutes notice? He knew - couldn't he have given me the courtesy of a call to let me get a few things squared away. Not that the place was a zoo, but it was messy and it felt like such an invasion. Grrrr!

Whining done - just longing to move on and leave this season behind!

Comment

• Hey, Coll! Just poking my head in to say 'hi'.

Glad to hear you got such good and immediate results with the potato starch and prescript assist. Diarrhea is the pits!

Comment

• I haven't had diarrhea but when I made an effort to eat resistant starch (sweet potatoes, tapioca) on a daily basis my digestion improved immensely, so it doesn't surprise me that the potato starch is helping you. Glad you're feeling better!

Pretty sure it is not even legal for the landlord to drop by and want to come unless it is an obvious emergency. Of course you don't want to get involved in BS, but since he is in the landlord business he should know the rules. I hope you will be done with him soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X