Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Sabine!

Up day for me - yippee! Off to make me some breakfast. My weight this morning - 214.8 lbs. Gradually dropping.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• I might have to make my own chutney for the next batch of bobotie...it would be worth it. Must look for some more South African recipes...
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I must say that South Africa cuisine is quite firmly centered around meat There are, of course, plenty of traditional flour and sugar based recipes but my favourite has always been the meat. A genuine South African braai (barbeque) is worth going to at least once in your life - especially if you are primal! Steak, kebabs (sosaties) lamb chops, beef sausage in a roll (boerewors), pork sausage, and that is only the basics - many more yummy goodies and it is such a social event. At least all afternoon if not all day. Honestly, a barbeque is about as similar to a braai as a VW beetle is to a Corvette Putting hotdogs on a braai would be met with amazed and horrified looks of pity (you must be VERY poor to not be able to afford REAL meat on a fire) Oh that is the other thing - a real braai is done on a real fire, never on a gas grill. Poor form and really doesn't do the good meat justice. As you can tell, I am pining for a good old braai. Too many years since I had a surfeit of meat cooked on the local woods and hours of fellowship and laughter (and sometimes tears - the good kind) and play until you can't anymore. I hope that the day will come when we can go back to SA - it seems so impossible, but I am sure one day we'll be able to do it. It is now almost 11 years since I was last in my home country.... doesn't bear thinking about for too long.

I have upped the enzymes to 2 at each meal as I have not noticed any warmth in my epigastric region at all yet, and I am still getting a bit of an upset stomach after breakfast on my up days. Still flipping back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. I am also taking probiotics - not sure how many or what kind. I really can't afford some fancy supplement but it is pointless taking something that doesn't work either. I'll finish the ones I am on and if I don't see any change I may switch to another brand. I haven't done any research on this yet.

We are planning on heading down to see BIL in ICU on Wednesday. About 4 hours + on the road each way. We found a decent hotel room for Wednesday night at a really good price and a swimming pool That always helps the kids after a lot of sitting. Hopefully it is really quiet being the middle of the week during school. Sometimes those hotel pools are like insane asylums with all the unsupervised, or just flat out 'out of control' kids that is just isn't worth going. It never ceases to amaze me how much parents let their kids get away with and wonder how horrid it must be to live in their homes! It is pretty obvious who rules in many homes - and then you see the kids who look so downtrodden and wonder if they are living in an abusive situation. There are times that I come out in goosebumps - nothing that one could report, but the way some people talk to and relate to their kids has so much repressed violence that it freaks me out. Maybe because I had a lot of exposure to out of control anger and physical punishment as a kid ... maybe I am oversensitized to that - or maybe I notice it more. No idea but I find it very disturbing sometimes. Deep breath ...

Snowing away outside. Lovely day for being at a window and watching the birds at the feeder and waterer. I am so enjoying the heated bird bath that DH got me. Birds come from far and wide to get a drink, many times birds that would not visit the feeder will come for a drink. Something about watching snow fall is really soothing ... and the dim light too. Snow is still a fresh delight every time I see it... guess that comes from growing up in a country where you only really ever saw it on the mountain tops and once in a while you could take a drive and get close enough to touch some. But I only saw falling snow less than a handful of times growing up.

A few pretty photos to share with you from our time at the river yesterday. It was really windy, but good for the soul

DSCN8438.jpg

DSCN8440.jpg

DSCN8455.jpg

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Coll...beautiful pictures! You're so lucky!! I just love Colorado. And I loved your description of the snow fall. I love the snow & love the peacefullness of a steady snowfall. There is just nothing like it...& its one of the things that I miss about living up north. Of course I wouldn't like the bitter cold temps that this winter has brought!! Heck even down here in the deep south we are getting our share of frigid temps (for us). My brother in south Louisiana said they are expecting up to 3 inches of the white stuff tomorrow there where he lives. I'll be jealous. They took our chance way down to 10%...so I doubt we'll see anything.

have a good night!!
          Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Hey Coll! How's it going? Everything ok on your mountain?? Just checking in.
            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Those mountains are so beautiful! Isn't it great to live in a beautiful place?

I think next winter I will get a heated birdbath, I love seeing the birds and have been wondering where they are getting water.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• The mountains are beautiful I know the birds eat snow - but of course it lowers their body temperature and when the temps get frigid, I figure it is an added challenge for those tiny bodies. They do love the water though - you just have to be sure the temp of the water doesn't get too warm or they will try to bathe in it - fatal if it is really cold. The one we have has a thermostat which seems to work well enough. There have been a couple times that I have noticed the water steaming and I am not sure if that was because it was getting too warm or just because the air was so cold. Anyway, I ran out with cold water to fill it up.

It has been a rather busy and chaotic few days. Went and saw BIL. He has had a VERY close call indeed. Hopefully he will go home in a day or two, on O2 and still some fluid in the base of one of his lungs.

Rant warning : Another BIL and SIL have invited us over for the super bowl tomorrow. While I am not a football fan (don't understand the game and never get to watch as we don't have TV) I know DH will really enjoy it. The kids will be bored out of their skulls, because they have no clue about the sport either for the same reasons mentioned above. Nonetheless I was rather looking forward to spending time with family - they are the ones that we have the most in common with and the least issues with. BUT, it is almost impossible to have a conversation with SIL without a few weeks notice. She never answers her phone when I try to call, if I am lucky I will get a text reply. What is the deal with texting???!!! It takes a 2 minute conversation to communicate menu stuff instead of going back and forth and having to type everything on a phone .... Anyway, the whole thing is turning into a really awkward scenario. DH was over there the other day and SIL was trying to tell him all the snacks and foods she is making for the event Nothing is edible for us - so DH tried to tactfully tell her that we can't eat it (DH also has a hard time being forthright about these things so he may have given mixed signals) and that we will bring some stuff that will work for us. What is so hard to understand about the words 'grain free'? I mean, its not like I am expecting them to make us stuff that will work for us, but, after DH explaining that we are sugar free and grain free she still doesn't get it. So, since she has not called despite me getting a message about an impending call to discuss the food, I texted her today just giving her a heads up that we really don't expect her to figure out what to feed us and we'll bring some food with us. No answer - sigh. Why are these things so awkward? I get the impression that we are in the process of offending them - but why can't they understand that we get sick when we eat this stuff? I am SOOOOOOOO frustrated and wish we didn't have to go after all. That wouldn't be good either because it is not good to hit the pause button while feeling this way. Hopefully we can work this out ... I am going to make primal pizza and a veggie tray with greek yoghurt dip and some primal banana cake. Pain in the butt I am afraid.

On a brighter note, I checked out a series called McLeod's daughters from the library absolutely ages ago. I almost took it back without watching any of it as my time was running out. I pulled it out a few days ago and I have to confess that I have been thoroughly enjoying it. There are a few scenes that get a little out of line but the story is fun. I have put the next season on hold

We are having cold, snowy weather. We were not supposed to get any more snow today but we must have gotten about 2 inches this afternoon. Really cold weather on the way and more snow on and off too. We have had a much wetter winter which I am delighted with. The last couple of winters were so dry that the river stopped running for a while - maybe a couple of months. The river is running beautifully still this year. Apparently there may be trouble in the spring with the runoff from the snow melt as the river banks have been really messed up with the flood last year, may be more flooding in the impacted areas. Some people have had a really raw deal of it lately! My heart goes out to them even while I am so grateful that we didn't have that drama in our lives too.

Plucking up the courage to ask one of my brothers to help us support my folks. We are needing to increase the amount they get every month and yet we are also needing to try and save to ship their goods over, and we have to pay for a storage unit in the meantime. None of my siblings are contributing financially to my folks support, they are all struggling financially and it feels as though it is all up to DH and I. Bless DH's soul - he works his butt off to support MY parents. And there is no end in sight either. Sometimes it just feels so overwhelming and I have to work hard at not getting resentful. Every time we turn around there is another need and we really need to get on top of some of our own needs too. Sometimes I wish I could win a lottery :P but since I don't buy lotto tickets that would be difficult hey!?

Today was a down day and it went well. I just didn't feel particularly hungry - or at least, not that out of control hunger. I have had a headache for about a week now - what is that all about? I never get headaches and that is a constant at the moment.

Comment

• Does anyone else have a headache? Is it possible there is a carbon monoxide or a gas leak?

Maybe you could ask a brother to take over the storage payment? I know these things are so hard. My mom could use more money and I have at least two sisters who could easily be supplementing her income without having to cut back, but they don't think of it and my broad hints are apparently too subtle. I.e. "Can you send Mom some money on a monthly basis? She could really use it." Yeah, I'm known for my tact. Ah, the parent trap...

Just popped a pan of bobotie in the oven!

Comment

• We have carbon monoxide monitors that hubby installed recently (since the place didn't have any) so I know that isn't the issue. But thanks for mentioning it - always good to check on things like that. My neck is stiff and bugging me at the moment - I hadn't thought about it. I think my pillow needs to be replaced. Now that I think of it, I bet that is the root of the headache. I know I really should go to the chiropractor regularly for a while - but at $40 a time I really can't afford to. If my headache doesn't settle I may try to get an adjustment - but not this week. The roads are yukky and I hate driving with the kids on slippery icy roads.

I bet a pan of bobotie would cure what ails me

The whole parent thing can be quite daunting sometimes, and especially so when the siblings are quite happily continuing with all their lives quite content for us to give up everything for the folks. Nope, going to have to exert some of my oldest daughter muscle here and get the brothers all lending a hand one way or the other. Actually the two brothers who are in SA are helping as best they can. It is the other one who is in Taiwan who needs to see if he can lend a hand for a while.

Comment

• Oh, I'm with you on the texting! It is great for some things but others it is completely stupid and tedious.

Comment

• 214.8 lbs this morning - the monthly weight increase is starting to dissipate. Always a nice feeling. I really want to keep my focus now and get settled into the ADF. I need to remember that it is ok to have two up days if something comes up, although I would probably scale right back on the second 'up day' so as to not overload on calories.

I have not heard back from SIL. I am really struggling with feeling like I am a problem guest and that I have offended her. She has probably been prepping food for a couple days and now we are not going to eat any of it Cringing guest syndrome coming up .... though I will just smile and apologize and move on. I can't help it if she won't communicate ...

Comment

• I know a lot of people who text do not respond if they understand the info. So maybe she has just heard that you will be bringing your own, and figures it doesn't need a response from her? I am trying to drum into my kids' heads that they should send a confirmation that they have received the info I have sent them, even a simple 'yep' or 'ok', but they just sigh, and tell me I don't understand texting.

Honey and I are going to a Studio Movie Grill to watch the game on the big screen. We did it last year and really enjoyed it. There's not much that is primal there, but by stretching my boundaries a LITTLE, I found plenty to stuff myself with. Plus, I am bringing my own dark chocolate almond butter cups. And ketchup.

Comment

• You know Sabine, I think you are right that she just assumed that I would assume she got it. For my part I find it really rude when people don't at least acknowledge that they received your message. There are many times that a message doesn't go through for some reason and then it can really make for interesting situations. The evening was fine, but there is definitely some tension there at the moment. I know there is a lot going on in their lives, just trying to extend some grace there, but also realizing that barring some major change we are not going to be close. Kind of disappointing to realize how unimportant you are in people's lives, especially family. Oh well, I guess we'll just move on and let it go. Going to the same family's son's engagement party on Friday. There is only one option for kids and it entails breaded chicken tenders and fries. Can't do that - unless we want diarrhea all the way home, oh, but we are not allowed to take anything for the kids either! They have to eat before the party and then watch everyone else having a blast and stuffing their faces with crap. I'm feeling somewhat pissed off to be honest. I mean, it would be different if we were total strangers - but surely, if they can't provide food for us they could at least allow us to bring something ourselves? Am I being totally unreasonable? Seems that if you are paying to rent the facility for an engagement party you should have a touch more freedom? Anyway, not going to ask for permission - just going to sneak some goodies in for the kids and hope we don't get caught....

Comment

• Bring your own, be discreet about it, and no one will even notice. You could even bring your own chicken and fries--just made the RIGHT way. If an employee gives you grief, say 'doctor's orders' and stare them down. (Mercy, I'm feisty this morning!)

Comment

• Lol Sabine, I like the way you think! I think we are just going to arrive late and eat before we get there and then leave early. Just not excited about being there, but we will put in an appearance and wish the couple well.

I am going to wait a little before continuing with the JUDDDD as I am finding that every up day when I start eating again I get pretty bad diarrhea and it is messing with me big time. I can't go anywhere and am feeling really nasty as a result. I still would like to do this but I feel that I need to get the digestive issues sorted out first. I am going to see my naturopath and see what he thinks too. I am continuing with the digestive enzymes at the moment - taking 5 per meal now with no 'burning' sensation afterwards so that says to me that I am probably needing them at the moment. I am also taking a probiotic but am wondering if I should try a different one as this doesnt' seem to do anything that I can notice.

In the throes of trying to hash out the financial support for my folks with my siblings who are all cash strapped, even worse than we are which is saying something. Going to have to just wait on increasing the amount we send, as we are on the edge of not making it as it is. Still have to save up enough to ship their possessions back to SA - in the meantime it is $80 a month to store it. Sometimes it just feels as though we can never get our heads above water long enough to make any headway. Oh well, eventually things will settle down .... just need to try and keep moving and hopefully we'll crest the hill sometime and see some real changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X