No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am been meaning to check out the Unitarian services held in the library in the next town but haven't done it yet. Was all set to do so this morning but pretty much everything is cancelled because of the snow storm. Did you check out the church? I am feeling like I need to find a church that is more in tune with my spiritual needs than the one I actually belong to!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Well, a good nights sleep saw the bug, that I felt like I might get, on its way. So I duly got up and got ready to leave. DH made a delicious omlette and I didn't have the tea that I thought was triggering the tummy issues, had the car running to warm up and then felt the impending upset stomach looming TMI warning - No way I am putting myself either en route to the church with diarrhea or trying to find the bathrooms in a new place or not being able to hold it (a distinct likelihood since I have trouble with that since some damage during one of my kids births!!!) and embarrassing myself in public. TMI done So, once again, it is on hold I can't wait for the digestive enzymes to arrive and see if they help with this see saw of bowel issues. About half an hour after eating I am bloated and feeling nasty

My weight this morning 213.8 lbs - my lowest so far and while I know it is after a DD I am still happy. Progress is happening. I am going to lie down until the light headedness that accompanies the stomach upset subsides. Maybe listen to an audiobook ... sip some non caffeinated tea ...
      Last edited by Coll; 01-19-2014, 10:05 AM.
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Coll...pm sent!
        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Gottcha primalcajun!

I have had a nasty day with upset tummy all day and having to run to the bathroom sporadically. I ended up going to the health food store and picking up some enzymes to try with dinner. This is my up day for pete's sake and I am having to be careful what I eat - not nice at all!! And I am feeling so bloated and wobbly with it.

DH has been busy with the kids making armour and weapons with duct tape, some plumbing supplies, cardboard and foam. DS is thrilled to bits - it is a CD book that we got him for his birthday. Here is a pic of him in his kit so far - how cute is this?!

DSCN8413.jpg

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Fabulous! I want!!!!!

“"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• How cool is that!! He looks very warrior-ish!! lol. Good job!!
              Last edited by theprimalcajun; 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM.
              Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• 214.8 this morning. Last night, after an entire day of upset stomach I took some digestive enzymes with dinner. I was wondering if I was being stupid as usually bacon wrapped, mozzarella stuffed jalapenos would not be a good food on top of an irritated bowel. My upset stomach totally settled and the food sat just fine in my belly!! I didn't feel bloated after eating and just felt pretty darn good actually. DH was amazed as I had spent the day trotting off to the bathroom I'd say that these things are awesome (and I picked up these enzymes at the health food store for $4.80 something as they were on sale. Best 5 bucks I have spent in ages!

Today is a down day and I am planning on a boiled egg and half a grapefruit for breakfast. Otherwise I am fighting off a cold - time for green tea, garlic and loads of water. Extra Vit D3 today too. Plus a cranberry capsule ... we'll see if I can kick this things butt really fast. The kids have thrown it off without ever really getting sick which is awesome. Hopefully I can do the same.

I am making some salt and vinegar almonds today in the dehydrator. I hope they work out as the store bought ones have canola oil on and that is instant bloating for me. I found a number of different recipes and this is the first to be tested. Of course if this works I am going to have put them under lock and key or they will be finished in no time at all. I do love my dehydrator - it has been rather neglected of late. I am contemplating making biltong again - such a yummy snack. I also need to find a local source for good bones and fat ... the Weston A Price foundation has a chapter in Fort Collins and I need to find out what sources they can tell me about. I really want to try and make pemmican but only with good quality fat and meat.

Comment

• The salt and vinegar almonds are rather 'meh' as Siobhan always says I am going to have to try a few more recipes until I hit on one that I really like. I do like the sound of the spicy almonds recipe, so I may just make a batch of those too. DH will be going away on a business conference and I want to send goodies along with him. He LOVES nuts so that will be a good start. I will probably get him some Larabars too as a something to get him by if there is nothing available that he can eat. I am hitting a blank as far as food to send with him that will not require refrigeration ... ideas anyone?

I am still holding my own against this cold - in the morning I feel fine but by the evening I can feel it trying to gain a foothold. I didn't do my garlic routine as I had said I would. I got caught up in school today and almost forgot to apply the progesterone cream. I don't have a decent routine at the moment and I need to get one asap before I lose control of all the balls I am trying to juggle!

I did some painting today and only realized a couple of hours down the road that I was slumping terribly in my chair and got a nice muscle spasm as a result. It is hard to get the angle of the rock and my head just right when doing the fine detail stuff as I have poor lighting and only one of my eyes can focus up close. It must look pretty funny sometimes as I am tilting my head this way and that to try and combine the head angle with the light - anyway, I was so focused on all that stuff that I totally forgot about my posture. Ouch! I have been setting a timer so that if I haven't gotten up for something I stand up every 20 minutes so that is at least something good.

Breakfast was a grapefruit and a boiled egg. No lunch. Dinner was a homemade burger pattie (sadly without cheese ) and a humungous salad. Tomorrow will be interesting to see if my stomach upset happens or not. Today was fine - but Down Days are usually fine.

I have a really nasty chilblain on one of my toes I thought they were related to poor circulation (which I definitely don't have a problem with) but after doing some research it turns out that it is often when you get chilled and then reheat the chilled extremity too fast that they can occur too. And this is exactly what happened - I was busy painting (barefoot) in our office which is cold and felt my feet getting really chilly from sitting still and in a cold spot. They got to feeling a burning sensation and then I headed off and had a lovely hot shower! I will be sure not to do that again - they are most uncomfortable things to have! I need to remember that I am not in South Africa now and try not to get too chilled. I don't mind getting a bit cold but I guess I overdid it. Our house thermostat is set at 50F at night and 60F in the day, but where I paint is right next to a window where I can feel the draft off the single pane glass. In fact my paints all get covered in dust when it is windy - even though the windows have never been opened and there is plastic over the whole deal, there is still a gap in the plastic where the wind and dust get through. Kind of funny ....

Comment

• My chilblain is responding nicely to aloe gel I woke up to my lowest weight yet after a down day. 212.4! I am getting into my fat pants comfortably now - phew! I am kind of enjoying the guilt free up days and the quiet down days. I feel as though I am getting into a rhythm and am hoping that this is the beginning of a healing journey for me. I am not tracking my calories on my up days, but I am feeling satisfied and still losing weight so I guess it must be ok for now. Today was a gorgeous day - up in the 60's!!! I helped the kids set up their half shelters outside and they had a day off from school to make the most of the sun and being outdoors! We also went for a walk to the river this afternoon which was nice though somewhat disappointing as our favourite spot was taken by three cyclists who had dumped their bikes in one area and were fishing in the other area leaving hardly anywhere for us to hang. Kept it short since we moved further downstream and I wasn't sure if we were starting to stray into private property. I spoke to our landlord when we got home and asked if he would be ok with us going through the pasture to the corner of the property where it is bordered by the river. He said he didn't mind at all ... so the kids and I will have to wait for the next nice day and do some reconnoitering I am not sure how we will get over the fence but maybe if I take some cardboard with us we can negotiate the barbed wire etc without too much hassle.

I spent ages this afternoon reading someone else's journal and felt positively depressed afterwards!!!! Just sad to see so much ill health both physically and mentally and they are not able to see the wood for the trees. They have tried so many things and it just seems it keeps getting more and more complicated and nothing is working anymore. I had to just quit because it was scarey reading. Please GOD help me to never get in that kind of hole! Freaky indeed. I am feeling rather disturbed now and need to calm down and just refocus on God and the fact that He will take care of me and help me to negotiate all the pitfalls that can come my way just as He always has. Big breath and moving on ...

My latest customer left a positive review on an owl she purchased - lovely. I have some rocks that have been on for months and no-one has shown any interest so am going to let them expire and then set them aside for my next craft fair. The kids love those ones so I should be able to sell them relatively easily, especially if I price them right I do love watching the kids fingering the different stones and agonizing over which one will be THE one. It is so sweet and just blesses me so much to provide others with enjoyment .... I am in the throes of making a series of more realistic looking owls since those seem to be most popular and I enjoy painting them. Hopefully the practice pays off and they keep getting better.

My folks have been needing money lately and we have not had any extra to send - it was quite a concern for me as they needed their clutch replaced and that is a good few thousand Rand. By the grace of God someone actually repaired it for them for free and their landlord filled up their gas tank as they had helped them out during some major health crises. We scraped together enough to see them through just the normal needs for another month and I am so grateful that they are back in SA where at least they can get the health care they need without going broke (or taking us down with them) Many days I am just so amazed at how much less stressed I am.

I am sleeping so much better than I have for a long time. I really think the progesterone is helping with that. I am also feeling an inkling of more energy, more focus, more positive attitude too. I was looking at DD today and realizing that she has gotten rather chubby without my noticing - she has been really sedentary since the winter weather hit (as have all of us) and I really want to make an effort for their sakes as well as mine to get out regularly for a walk and fresh air. This house is so tiny that when the weather is bad there is no room at all for them to play anything physical ... trying to be patient with living here and be grateful for a roof over our heads and heat and running water.

My garlic and a good sleep did the trick and I feel just fine this evening. I had a minor upset stomach today - nothing too bad which is a relief. It was after a cup of black tea (earl grey) with cream and honey. Obviously a few days break was not enough I want to try and find a replacement that still tastes good but doesn't leave me running for the bathroom. Obviously the enzymes helped, but not completely. I am interested to see what the other enzymes do (the ones Sabine mentioned in her journal - I have been waiting for them to arrive) The ones I am taking are only enzymes, no ox bile etc.

Bummed since the almonds I made stuck to the metal baking tray (duh! Didn't think of the salt and vinegar on regular baking sheet!!) and taste totally metallic! Fortunately half of them were done on an enamel tray so those ones are fine. DH likes them - but they are nothing like I was looking to make.

The family was delighted as I surprised them with chili for dinner - all round favourite. It is the best primal chili I have made and I am pleased indeed. My pre primal chili was delicious and it has taken me a long time to tweak it to my liking. I basically made a stew and did the chili seasonings. DS had two full helpings!!!!!! Wow!!! I also found crème fraiche at the local health food store and bought some to try - high ratings from all of us. Very tasty and perfect for chili.

Thinking about getting some Nigerian Dwarf Goats once we have our own place. I REALLY want to have our own milk animals so that we have control over what they eat and the quality of milk we get. The raw milk is just so expensive here and the only raw milk we can afford is from cows that are fed silage which is really not particularly good for them. I mean, these animals are in the pink of health compared to a CW dairy but .....

I need to get ready for bed so that I don't have a late night. Nighty night all and sleep tight!

Comment

• Hi Coll, you are sounding upbeat right now. Way to go.

Pity about the almonds but at least they were edible. I burnt a batch of peanuts today and they ended up going to the chickens.

As for your chilli recipe - would you mind posting? It sounds delish.

Do you and the children like the taste of goat milk? I just ask cos I'm sure it would be a big change from the raw cow's milk, which sounds marvellous and I would not be worried about a bit of silage. I think cows have been fed that in the winter for years. It's a shame about the expense though? How much does it cost, and how does that compare with supermarket milk?

I am sooooo lucky to get raw milk here for $2 a litre but I have to make a 30km round trip to fetch it.
                      Annie Ups the Ante
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• What a great post.

Comment

• Hey Annie, we are not fond of the strong flavoured goat milk, but drank raw goat milk for years before we found a place that sells raw cows milk. The cows milk is $5.00 a half gallon (about 2 litres) but in the store it is a LOT cheaper - not that I ever buy it. We go through about 3 gallons a week - $30.00 which is a chunk of my food budget. It is worth it but we really want to 'grow' our own milk. The only thing is a cow is such an investment - we could never keep up with a full size cow's output and it is illegal to give it away or sell it. To buy a miniature cow is a few thousand dollars (which is what we would love to do) and she would need a fair amount of space to avoid getting parasite loads building up. On the other hand the Nigerian Dwarfs were bred to have very mild tasting milk, the output at peak is only about 2 quarts each, their milk is much creamier and higher protein than goat milk generally is, and their footprint and food bill is tiny. On top of that you pay about $300 for a really good doe so we could get a couple without destroying ourselves financially Oh, and they have a number of kids every year (and go in oestrus all year round instead of just once a year in the fall) versus a cow who has one calf. The city near us has just passed an ordinance allowing people to keep a couple Nigerian Dwarf Goats in their backyard, which means we would have a good place to sell kids too. A friend of mine has some of these goats for her children for 4H and they are so tame and easy to handle too and she says that people are lining up to buy the offspring - even wethers since I guess they make great pets too... Funny I know ... but hey a goat doesn't bark all day and night! If I lived in town I would rather have neighbors who had goats than dogs! So that is our rationale - it has been fun thinking about it and planning and pricing etc. There is a goat dairy in another nearby town that has really good goats that we would be interested in getting. But first a home and hopefully a fair amount of land with it. Then the electric fence (think coyotes and bear etc )and all the other things need to be sorted out and THEN some goats. In the meantime we'll enjoy our cow's milk! And we may continue getting a bit from that farmer anyway especially when the goats are dry. I am sure this was much more information than you needed/ wanted - but I love this kind of stuff so you opened the firehose - sorry!

My chili is one of those dishes that I don't necessarily measure everything out but I will post what I remember. This was a big batch so you will need a large pot at the very least about a 5 quart I think. I started with two onions diced small, about 6 celery stalks chopped smallish, two carrots peeled and chopped small, 1 zucchini chopped small, coconut oil and ghee about a tablespoon each, heat over medium heat and sauté the veggies until the onion and zucchini are transparent, add about 6 or more cloves of garlic minced. After a minute of stirring with the garlic I usually just scoot all the veg to the side and then add the meat to brown in the middle. I did 2 lbs of stew meat, about 2,5 lbs of ground beef. Once that is all browned I added two large cans of diced tomatoes (793 g each) and two cans (411 g each)of tomato sauce (I know your measurements will be a little different but this is not important as long as it is close) Then I add about a tsp of ground coriander seed, 2 tsp of fresh or freeze dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (VERY mild because of the kids), a dash or two of cayenne pepper, 3 tsp ground cumin, 3 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1 tsp freeze dried basil (or fresh), 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp powdered kelp. Stirring occasionally simmer covered for about an hour. We like it with a dollop of sour cream or crème fraiche and some grated cheese. I also make a chutney that DH and I add that adds a delicious kick. It is tomato, garlic and jalapeno - if you like I could share that too. I need to make some soon along with the sauerkraut etc that is calling to me!

DS is feeling sick this morning - darn!!! Loading him up on the homeopathics and tea tree oil on one foot, sweet basil on the other, zinc Vit C drop to suck on - come on boy! Kick that bug! What he doesn't know is we are supposed to go and meet another boy his age tomorrow afternoon and I really don't want to miss the playdate! It has been a couple of months since we started trying to get together and there has been the chaos of Christmas and all that December usually holds for our family! I am hoping I can get him to throw this off again before it takes hold. And they have tennis on Friday too ...

DH leaves tomorrow morning early We will miss him. I know it is only a few days - but that is really unusual for us. He is excited though as he and his brother are skipping out on one of the meetings (he says these particular ones are especially hokey!!LOL) and are going to watch the Avalanche hockey team play They are so pumped that it is fun to see ... they don't often get to hang out together.

I don't think school is going to happen today either with both the kids a little under the weather - I may just go ahead and clean the kitchen (it is a mess!) and paint when I need a break. I have lots of rocks waiting on me Once the kitchen is clean I may just get that sauerkraut going too.

Comment

• When I moved to Maine, it was my goal to have a small homestead with some goats and/or some fiber animals, but I have given that up for now. It is just too daunting for me as a single person and would be too restricting. Also I can purchase local raw stuff quite easily although it is not cheap, it is reasonable. I still think of having goats, though! They are such cool animals. And I love the goaty taste, acquired I will admit! So much easier to digest than cow's milk, which always gives me a headache.

The ideal thing for me at this stage would be to live near a goat farm, where I could help out and reap the benefits, but walk away when other things became too pressing. I know two families with dairy goats, but they both live too far away.

Comment

• Lol Siobhan, you would be the ideal neighbor! If one has animals it is always a concern when one needs to go away for some reason ... who is going to look after my critters and will they be as careful as I am? I would trade you milk for critter sitting any day!!! But I agree -as a single that would be pretty overwhelming especially as you have a job to hold down too!

Comment

• Well, yesterday was the last day with DH home and I wanted to make and enjoy a nice meal with him before he left. So, I decided to make it an up day. I forgot to take my progesterone cream in the morning - both kids sick and DS really sick. I think I am also close to Aunt Flo's arrival and I ended up having a carb fest yesterday! And then this morning I talked myself into another up day. I must have lost my big girl panties somewhere!!!!!! Sigh, so I have already broken the amount for a Down Day. Just pathetic. Going to make an effort to make the rest of this day healthier. The carb cravings seem to have subsided for now. I think I am going to bake a bunch of veggies to nibble on for the rest of the day. And there are sausages waiting to be cooked too. I do think lack of sleep has tripped me up - what with the kids waking up on and off all night needing meds, and DH wanting to talk and talk, and then having to get up early to see DH off this morning. I feel as though I can do almost anything when I have slept well - but woe betide us all if I don't get my sleep! I need to boost my water intake after so many carbs too. Over the last two days I have polished off a whole bag of Rolo's, a bar of milk chocolate, two caveman crunch snack bars - honesty is humbling! And of course I feel rather nasty as a result, and my weight bounced up by a few pounds this morning. Gee I am soooo surprised - lol!

DS was really sick yesterday evening - poor kid was pasty white, high fever, splitting headache and very nauseated. The meds were not helping so I put him in an Epsom salts bath with some essential oils (tea tree oil, lavender, clove, and pine) and kept him in there until he started to feel cold. Then I rubbed him down with a similar mix of essential oils and put him to bed. It helped a LOT. And aside from needing meds in the night he slept beautifully and woke up feeling much better. Still far from well but at least not as bad. DD and I are fending it off. I had artichoke dipped in butter with a whole clove of raw minced garlic in last night. Leaves me with vicious garlic breath - but I am still well! Despite the loads of sugar!

It is really cold today - we had a couple of inches of snow last night and it was 9F this morning. I had a tiny morsel of exercise when I shoveled the snow off the pathway. Otherwise I am going to paint today and do my usual chores and feed us all. Exciting life - I would just love a good walk, but the kids are not well enough to go out in this cold! I think I need to start going for a walk early in the morning when DH is not working so that I get a little bit of time to myself and I can walk at my own pace.

I loved the bit from Mark today - what kind of athlete am I? I am so out of touch after years of being mommy and super overweight and unfit. I used to be really active - always doing something physical. Walking, backpacking in the mountains, jogging, endurance horse riding, weight lifting, bike riding, boogie boarding, swimming ... what on earth happened to me? Sometimes I think America happened to me ... since I have lived here my activity has just dropped off. Though when I first moved here I used to go for long walks and bike rides up in the mountains - was really fit too as I worked on construction and property maintenance for about a year. Getting married and eating too many carbs, living in town in a tiny house with a handkerchief for a yard - dunno. Maybe it is just that all the damage I did over the years has just culminated since I have gotten older ... whatever, God knows, but I want to rediscover that Coll!! Only this time round I want to be healthy AND slim - I am not only after being slim and trim, but feeling energetic and healthy and able to play with the kids. I think that if I can get going a bit it will help my depressive tendencies too. I need to figure out what I am aiming for at least in a general way .... I am very visual. What if I find pictures that evoke those feelings in me and remind me of what I want. What if I made a collage that could be pulled out regularly and looked at to inspire me when feeling down or unmotivated. Maybe I should include a few pictures of me in my slimmer days too - I have a few favorites.

Comment

Working...
                                X