No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was sailing away today and without much thought I made myself a small cup of tea with cream - I only realized later that I had blown right by my goal for calories today - not by a huge amount, but I was bummed that I 'used' up all my remaining calories in what actually turned out to be a very unsatisfying cup of tea! So no dinner for me - funny thing is that DH ate some cashews he had left in the car so he blew his quota out the door too. So we'll drink our water and maybe a cup of herbal tea for warmth while we watch the remains of the movie we had started last night. Also realizing how many calories get consumed without truly taking note of how much is going in ... good reminder.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• It is soooo easy to drink up a lot of calories without realizing it, isn't it? It's all a learning experience.
      My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• That is so true Siobhan, I know I need to relearn what is enough especially for the Down Days. But it is all good to take note of - while it is a pain to try and figure out what the caloric count for a stew is, I still think it is a good exercise to try to keep track of how much goes in my mouth.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Well, today was a bit of a failure in that I seemed to eat all day. Just overdid it. Nothing non primal except for the volume. Hopefully I can get back on track with tomorrows Down Day. I think I am just going to fast for the majority of tomorrow so I don't have to try and figure out calories all day Just much easier for me to eat nothing rather than little bits anyway. I tend to be all or nothing in the way I do things - it can get a little crazy sometimes. But I think that fasting might just work better for me and then a light supper. My problem is that once something passes my lips I am constantly thinking about what I can eat next - whereas if I just turn off the eat impulse and tell it to wait I seem to do much better. I am all stocked up on herbal teas and I find that between drinking those and loads of water it is not too bad at all. I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes.

The kids and I went for a walk this afternoon - such pretty weather today that we couldn't resist. Took our pooch along as we didn't go far and she loved it - she pees every few yards funny girl. Our Molly is just starting to look old though she is still very energetic and alert and in great health. Aside from her tremor that is - poor thing is getting very shaky now and her hearing is not the greatest anymore. But you would never think she is 12 yrs old - people are always surprised when I tell them how old she is. I try to feed her the best quality food we can afford - organic and no grains. Plus I will switch her onto a raw meal once in a while when there is leftover meat or egg or sour milk or extra kefir grains ... and she loves raw broccoli. Come spring time she always devours the dandelion flowers in our yard - great for detoxing apparently and then she pees like a racehorse for a day or so afterward. It is amazing how their instinct leads them to things like that too. Of course her instinct leads her to rabbit droppings and chicken poop .... high on her list of desirables!!!

I made apple crisp for the family this evening and there were rave reviews from the family including DS who declared that it is on his 'do it again' list High praise indeed from him.

I talked for 2 1/2 hours with a friend today - awesome! SO grateful for cellphones and free minutes!

Comment

• ADF comments:

Don't worry about eating a lot on your Up Days at first. Just getting into the rhythm of up and down is enough for starting with. And you will still see results.

Also, going over your calorie count SLIGHTLY is no big deal. In his book, Dr. Johnson says that people have good results with a whole range of Down Day calorie options, from 0% up to 35%.

I, too, find it easier to not eat at all than restrain myself.

I get very chilly on Down Days, especially now that I don't have so much insulation. It is a good excuse to cuddle under the covers with Honey.

Glad you got the phone time with your friend.

Comment

• Thanks for the input Sabine, it is encouraging to hear that there is room for a little flex. Yesterday I fasted until dinner time and then had baked salmon and loads of veggies with a little greek yoghurt dip. That worked much better for me - I was REALLY hungry all day but I could just keep reminding myself that I was going to eat that evening. The nice thing was that even though I had a good meal I stayed under my calorie quota for the day. I found that much easier to deal with, than spending the whole day trying to figure out what the calorie count of various things is and how much I have left before I have to quit. That is just stressful for me ... My weight this morning 214.8 lbs. Up day today - yippee. I want to try some of the mead this evening with dinner - or even just before, that doesn't affect my sleep so much then.

I have increased my progesterone cream to twice a day now. Waiting to see the effect if any. Surprised to see my basal temp was 97.5F this morning. Oh well, my body is having to adjust to new levels of food as well as the progesterone.

There were three things I needed to remember to do today and for the life of me I can't remember the third thing! I know it was something that needed to happen today - yikes! Hopefully it comes back to me before it is too late!

Comment

• Yesterday was a reasonable day and I didn't worry about my intake too much. I tried to just enjoy my food and we had a yummy feast for dinner. Bratwurst, baked parsnip, baked sweet potato and lightly roasted asparagus. I also made some paleo bread for the family which went down very well. DH was so happy with the dinner that he washed all the dishes for me

This morning I am 217.6 lbs and going to fast during the day and then have a light dinner. Had my first cup of green tea already and need to go and suck down a bunch of water. I started taking CO 1/2 teaspoon yesterday and didn't feel so sharp by bedtime. The kids both woke up with nightmares and I had one on the sheepskin rug and one in bed between us. I did not sleep well as a result - I was too hot with the duvet on and too cold with it off and then DS was snuggled up right next to me which boosted my heat factor too. The wind has been howling for the last few days and it really hasn't been possible to get out and walk. Today is much calmer and I am hoping the wind doesn't pick up this afternoon so we can get a walk in after school is done. I am also going to get the kids in our hallway with their tennis rackets and balls doing balancing and dribbling practice. I told DD no Gameboy today as I want sleep tonight! She needs to move!

I had to take down the bird feeders as they were being blasted by the wind, every seed spread across the grass and on the verge of being smashed. I am wondering if I can put them back up - I have just been spreading seed on the ground but the squirrels take a huge proportion of it then.

We tried the blackberry mead - I had a few sips from DH's glass. Very pretty - super dark red and pretty dry with a definite blackberry aftertaste. I think it would benefit from more aging. It is nice, but the taste needs to develop more in my opinion. We are going to have to rent the corking machine once we are ready to bottle all these different drinks The next one I want to try is the peach mead ...

I seem to be getting into the swing of this UDDDD. I kind of like it - I don't have to figure out what to make for two meals in a day and then I can go all out with loads of veggies and a little meat in the evening. I find I am eating more veg this way - that is a really good thing. I know that my veg intake is not what it should be and I am determined to really push that into a healthier range. I really do enjoy veg - sometimes I am paralysed by not knowing what to make but I seem to be putting together a few dishes that work when I can't think what else to do. I tried baked broccoli for the first time the other day and it was really nice. Just shake the florets in a Ziploc with olive oil and then season and bake until crispy. It is a nice change from eating it raw or in salads. I have to say that crispy parsnip chips are very more-ish. DD was in ecstasies over them last night and DS actually ate one of the parsnip chips and one of the white sweet potato chips too. I also tried a jalapeno stuffed olive - phew! Delicious but SPICEY. So often the jalapeno is really toned down but these are hot enough to get my attention. I think they might be awesome in a frittata ... planning for tomorrows breakfast already

Comment

• A bit crazy the last two days. I think the second dose of progesterone daily is making me a bit bloated. My weight is sitting somewhat higher than I had hoped, even the weight after a Down Day has been up. I am not going to let it get to me. I am just going to keep going and wait for it to settle down.

I had my easiest Down Day today so far. I don't know why but am glad for it. We had baked salmon and a couple big bowls of salad with a little salad dressing. Very yummy and then DH and I are going to have some blackberries for dessert. They had blackberries 10 for $10 at the grocery store so I loaded up to the family's delight. They also had organic avo's going for 10 for $10 which I also made the most of. I have always adored avocados and so many times they are just too pricey to buy.

My fridge has switched over from not freezing in the freezer compartment to freezing just fine - even in the fridge section I went to make dinner and found the mushrooms frozen solid! I am dreading digging to the back of the veggie shelf as I know that if the mushrooms were frozen then there is a bunch of other veg that is in the same boat - what a waste of food!

We went to a kids concert this afternoon - the Fort Collins Symphonic Orchestra performed a program about Mozart. It was ok, I did however have to fight off some strong urges to take a nap. I think we need to go to a real performance sometime instead. I think we would all enjoy it much more - the acting was pretty corny and I found it very distracting since I had really hoped to see and hear more of the music itself. I have never been to a performance by an orchestra but I think I would love it, assuming they were playing pieces that I like - Mozart is one of my favourites.

Last night we had bacon wrapped oysters and bacon wrapped mushrooms while waiting for the primal pizza to be ready. It was definitely yummy and DH was very happy.

I was thrilled as someone bought one of my more expensive rocks on my Etsy shop - there has been a long slow patch so that was most encouraging. I mailed it off today - had to go to the post office twice as I left the address at home! Fortunately the post office is not even 5 minutes from the house and the kids were pumped as they got to try out being home alone for a few minutes. It is a very strange feeling leaving them at home without me. I left them with my cellphone in case of emergency (we don't have a landline ) and they know how to call DH or 911. It still feels super weird.

Comment

• 215.4 lbs this morning. My weight seems to be stabilizing again. I had a fried egg, half a grapefruit, 1 slice of paleo bread with butter and marmite, a handful of chopped veggies, two kalamata olives, a cup of tea with cream and honey. I can tell I want to just keep on eating but my stomach really is satisfied. So I am going to wait until lunch to eat again. I do think I need to work on drinking enough water for the rest of the morning though - yesterday I felt a bit behind on my fluids and I am going to try to catch up a bit today. DH is off this afternoon for a few hours so we are going to take a drive up to an area where there are some houses that look interesting. This is an exercise in patience - there is a good chance that these places that we like will not be there once we are able to make an offer on something. But, we will get a good idea of whether it is a good distance and area at least.

Got to get some school done before then ... and deal with the bank that wasn't able to do the money transfer I needed...

Comment

• Those frozen vegetables will still be good for vegetable broth!

Comment

• I am struggling with alternating diarrhea and constipation - lovely topic. But not very pleasant to deal with. I am thinking of really making an effort to boost my probiotic intake. I feel as though my gut is not particularly healthy and am also noticing, since my food poisoning of some months back, that I get reflux type pain regularly nowadays. It was never an issue before and I have a feeling that there is an imbalance going on there. I do drink a fair amount of kombucha, but not every day. I drink occasional kefir and eat occasional sauerkraut. I think I need to do a concerted effort to have something fermented every single day and try to include as many different cultures as possible and hopefully this will aid in repopulating my gut. I had a delightful cup of tea this morning and within half an hour I had a major emptying of my gut. This happens too regularly for me to ignore it any more. I think it is the caffeine that is affecting me. I can't drink coffee at all because of a sensitivity to caffeine and I know that there are times that I drink tea (black) more often and end up with an upset tummy. I think that something about the ADF has my tummy not interested in the black tea - organic or not! SO I am going to cut it right down and only have an occasional cup and stick to rooibos and honeybush tea that are naturally decaf. Sigh, I do so enjoy my cup of black tea - but I really DON'T enjoy the runs. I have been doing a lot of reading on Chris Kresser's website - I wish I had the money to take some of his supplements. It is very interesting reading his stuff about folk who don't see results on paleo despite being really convinced that it is the way to go. It made me feel so much more hopeful. I am not the only one out here that is limping along with no real improvement in many areas and actually seeing more issues in some areas for the moment. There is hope for me yet .... not giving up and just going to keep trying until I can get things lined up and working for me.

Comment

• Coll, this is the information from Namelesswonder, that led me to trying digestive enzymes, which I think is the answer to my difficulties. Maybe it will be helpful to you as well.

Probiotics are for carbs (sugars), enzymes are for proteins, acid (HCL) is for fat.

I posted some stuff from Robb Wolf in my journal that explains it more thoroughly, if you want to take a look. (I didn't want to clutter up your journal.)

Comment

• Hi Coll!! I was wondering if I could pick your brain about having an etsy shop? I'm confused about some things. I'm trying to decide if I want to open one with some hand painted quilted items(on wood) that I make along with some other things. I can pm you so as not to clutter your journal if you'd rather. I would also like to visit your shop if you can give the name. Thanks!!

Have a great day!
                            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

• Sabine, that was very interesting! More so because I was reading those very ideas last night in one of Chris Kresser's free e-books. DH and I were talking about it this morning. However, I hadn't seen it put so succinctly and I really think this might be helpful for me! Thanks so much for sharing that - going to do more reading and see what I can do.

Primalcajun - it is a great experience setting up your shop on Etsy. Definitely a learning curve, but well worth the effort. It takes time for things to take off - I am sure part of that is learning what people like and also how to display your wares. I am still very much in the learning zone! My shop is called Livingpebbles (Etsy.com/shop/Livingpebbles ) You are welcome to ask any questions - I may not know all the answers, but I will offer what I do know with pleasure.

Comment

• This morning, after an up day, my weight was down to 215.2 lbs! I guess I must have shed water for some reason - oh, maybe the diarrhea! Dear me, and here I was feeling all encouraged LOL. I went ahead and ordered the digestive enzymes on Amazon. They should be here in a few days. In the meantime I am going to be extra careful about not doing tea or anything too fatty especially directly after a down day.

I was hungry today, all day, but I managed to keep my intake to under 411 calories. I had a 3 oz piece of salmon left over from the other night, 1/3 cup raw milk. Lunch was 0.5 oz of cheese, 6 oz blackberries. Dinner was a boiled egg and a boat load of salad with a little bit of braggs salad dressing. I have drunk a lot today - almost all water. One cup of herbal tea and I think I may have another this evening. I feel as though my clothes are starting to fit better - major relief I confess. I am tired this evening and it seems that the kids and I are trying to fight off a cold. I loaded us all up on D3 today and of course the homeopathics. I think I may do myself a shot of fresh garlic this evening too.

I had thought of painting this evening, I have some rocks just begging to be painted. But I know myself, I'll get all caught up in the painting and then it will be a late night for me. I think an early night is a better bet this evening. Hopefully DD sleeps through despite her throat bugging her - otherwise Mommy will be having a disturbed night. She is going through a spell of nightmares almost every night. Most nights she ends up lying next to my side of the bed on the floor. I am sure she is needing a good nights sleep too - probably why she is the one with the sore throat now.

I was going to check out a church tomorrow - see if it would work for us as a family. We'll see if I feel good in the morning. I am planning some bacon wrapped jalapenos stuffed with mozzarella cheese on the grill for lunch tomorrow For DH and I anyway, the kids'll probably be eating some good hotdogs. My lettuce and salad greens were all frozen this evening - I had to pick through three containers of greens to find enough for a salad this evening. Annoying, but hopefully Monday we can get the issue sorted out. The landlord thought the fridge was relatively new - nope '96 model. I think it may be past the time of being worth getting repaired - but we'll see what the repair guy says. Glad we don't have to pay for this right now - we are stretched very thin financially as we've had a lot of unexpected expenses these last couple months. I reckon we pay enough rent to get the fridge dealt with properly and hopefully soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X