No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking is a great way to get kids to start helping. Most people enjoy the creativity and construction of cooking. And so easy to say 'I'm going to teach you how to make tomato soup' rather than how to clean the toilets. Then, after you have made a dish together a few times, you have them practice on their own. Pretty soon they are cooking dinner for you!

Also, teaching laundry only takes ten minutes, and once you mention, 'this is good to know, so you won't have to wait on me to get your laundry done,' their eyes light up.

For tidying-type chores, I found it very helpful to do it together several times, and pointing out the END RESULT that indicates the job is finished. Some chores mean different things to different people, and if you don't tell them that tidying the bathroom means all towels and washcloths in the basket, clothes and jewelery out of the room, items in drawers, and counter, sink, and mirrors wiped, they might think that hanging one towel up and closing the toilet lid suffices.

Also, the speed challenge is great for kids (and some adults-me!). Set the timer and see how much you can all get done in ten minutes.

How was the zoo?

Comment

• Sabine those are some great tips! I am going to start with some of those and see where it gets us. We are sweltering away here! We are all exhausted after very poor sleep last night. We escaped for a few hours to the local lake and river for a few hours and had a lovely picnic and just revelled in the fresh air and sunshine. I also found a bunch of rocks and DH and I loaded our pockets with a lot of different types of rocks - different from the kind I usually get near home. Poor MIL just can't grasp that we are 'allergic' to grains. I tried telling her about 4 times in as many ways and she still keeps offering us cookies and baked goods. Good thing that I don't find them tempting at all. The thought of the consequences takes care of any twinges of desire that slip in.

TMI alert: I am feeling awful today. I am incredibly bloated after barely any sleep and I think that the progesterone is also having the same effect for the moment. The doc did warn me of this passing side effect ... I feel like I've just given birth and have engorged breasts. If you've never experienced this you can be grateful! I feel as though I have two giant appendages attached to the front of my body. This does not blend well with being overtired and overheated!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
      Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
      Primal low: 186 lbs
      Current weight: 221.4 lbs
      Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Home again last night! We all slept like the dead last night in our lovely cool house in our familiar beds I am excited for this year now that we are done with the trip to MIL. My folks back in SA and in a situation where they can get the medical services they need for the moment. I am feeling better on the progesterone cream and am going to try doubling the dose as the doc suggested and see if that increases the improvement. I am also excited to try the JUDDD that Sabine has been doing. DH is considering joining me in this ... but until he decides I am going to get started. Confession - I find it very hard to eat only a little. Once I start eating it is VERY hard to stop. So I am contemplating just doing a fast and drinking a bit of raw milk during the day, possibly some kombucha and herbal teas, maybe eventually I'll start doing some light foods. But first I need to get a handle on not just eating all day. It is such a contrast to trying to eat regularly and higher carbs for my 'thyroid issues' that it will take a little adjustment period. I am looking forward to it though - I am really wanting to see if I can get over this mighty hump I have been stuck behind for so long and see progress in my health and weight issues.

So tomorrow is going to be my start day. I will weigh and measure myself in the morning and start with a down day. Wish me luck as I take the bull by the horns and get started.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Hi Coll, don't beat yourself up over the kids not having chores - yet. You survived alright and so will they. Many jobs are just not easy to manage until kids are around 12 if they can't reach cupboards and clotheslines and across the width of the bed. This may sound like making excuses, but I think it's a bit mean to make children struggle with something that you could do in a jiffy. Anyway, many people, adults included, do not know how to wash dishes, as I discover every time someone else gets in my kitchen without a dishwasher and tries to be helpful.

Your dd does actually have a few ways of cooking eggs under her belt, that's a great start. I have found that the approach of puberty is the perfect time to teach cooking - kids are always hungry at this stage so motivation is higher, lol. Also, as suggested above, anytime they can see the benefit to themselves, or the real contribution to the family, they will gain greater fulfilment from their work.

For example, having my 16yo dd cook the family meal while I was teaching piano in the next room was brilliant. I especially loved it, but we all liked that we could all eat on time and she knew that it was because of her which made her feel great. We ate the same meal every week for a month or so, then she would embark on a variation for a few more weeks. After one year she realised she had gained some very valuable skills and was actually better at something than her older sister (who had left home without gaining this experience - I live and learn, lol). It has made her a very desirable flatmate now that she is out on her own too.

My eldest daughter learnt to do laundry in her last year at high school, the same time I introduced a clothing allowance for her. This was great for us both - I didn't specially like shopping and she had no clothes (having been in uniform for four years). So I handed the whole area of her clothes over to her and she rose to the occasion so well that I started it a year sooner for the next one.

Good luck with getting your children started, my youngest dd is 13 and doesn't have many set chores, but she has a lot of self responsibility i.e. getting herself ready, making lunch and going to school and after school activities by bike which many of her peers can't manage. And given that driving is one of my least favourite things, this is actually a real plus.

I guess I could sum up by suggesting that whatever ways you decide to get your children started, try to make sure there's something in it for both of you. If it's not worth your while to teach them then you've just added another chore to your own list which will make it hard to keep on top of. Once they have established one habit, they can add others later. Good luck.
          Annie Ups the Ante
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Annie, that was so encouraging! I knew you folk would have some good tips - thanks for sharing, you guys are so helpful.

Yesterday was a resounding failure! I started out thinking I would do a down day but in retrospect I really hadn't thought it out very well and soon realized that I was not prepared. So, instead of eating very little I ended up eating way more than I usually do. As a result I felt awful, and then by the evening, with everything else that is going on in our lives, I felt so close to tears all evening. So today was a very relaxing day - the first day in forever that was without agenda and too cold to get outside. We all hung out inside and played angry birds!!! Not our usual mode, but it was fun for a change

I sat down earlier and planned out what I am going to eat tomorrow. I feel as though I am more prepared. I also feel as though I am bloated and even bigger today. I think planning ahead of time is the way I need to go right now until I have things more controlled and I have a good idea of what is ok for a down day. I am hoping to get to the point of fasting on down days too, but I think I need to get fat adapted again. I have been ingesting a lot of carbs since just before Christmas which has the effect of making me want to eat all the time ....

So, tomorrow is day 1 for me. I am going to use myfitnesspal to track my intake and water intake too. I now have the app on my phone which makes it so much easier to keep up with adding foods as I go through the day. I must say that I am really enjoying my Samsung Android phone now that I am more used to it. It is really nice for keeping in touch with my family all over the world using the whatsapp where I can message and send photos and video clips in real time.

So, here's to this next year and getting healthier, leaner and fitter. I also want to get more organized so that I can make some time for music practice as well as my painting.

Comment

• DH and I just siphoned off a partial bottle from the plum wine that has been aging in our shower. WE DID IT!! It is awesome! I was pretty tentative about tasting it I admit. The last time we tasted it was many months ago and what a transformation in the meantime ... it is distinctly fruity, definite plum smell and taste, sweet with a hint of dry and a hint of fizz. Seems like the alcohol content is pretty generous and it is a pretty rose' colour (I don't know how to do the slash over the 'e' ) I wish I could invite you all over for a glass with me on this frosty evening - slainte, cheers, etc to you all.

DSCN8286.jpg

Comment

• OK, so yesterday I found my big girl panties and did my first down day. My starting weight was 221 lbs and I kept my intake to 410 calories. Basically I had some turmeric tea with raw milk, a couple sheets of toasted nori, a boiled egg and some broccoli. Otherwise I drank about 10 cups of water and hot herbal teas, and I actually felt pretty good. I did spend most of the day fighting off the desire to just eat because that is what I usually do. I slept well though I got to bed late which is not helpful. I did only wake up at about 8:30 this morning though. Aunt Flo arrived yesterday and has made her presence felt today. I have had a pretty slow day. I started my day with my usual cup of organic earl grey tea and just was too busy to make breakfast for myself until about 10 am. By then I had an upset stomach from the tea So I had an apple and cheese for breakfast which usually settles my tummy down. I think I am going to have to just avoid the caffeine for now and do rooibos or honeybush tea. I am also going to go for a half portion of the tea since I like it with lots of cream and that adds up too quickly calorie wise.

I had another apple and cheese, sauerkraut, a hotdog, bell pepper and broccoli for lunch. Just before dinner I had about a scoop of icecream that was left over from New Years Eve. Dinner was one ladle full of stew and about 2/3 of a steamed artichoke dipped in garlic butter. I have felt hungry all day though and even now my stomach is growling. This says to me that my body is wanting me to load up to keep me at the weight I was at - sorry body, not in line with my long term goal! I have drunk about 8 glasses of water today too. And about a 1/4 bottle of kombucha.

REalising that I have been neglecting my friends - the far distant ones. It seems when I get down in the dumps I retreat and don't want to interact with people - rather silly actually as just a conversation can be such a boost. Had a dear friend call me this evening and, very nicely, tell me off for not calling when I need to talk. I am too used to being the one who has to help everyone else and feel like I am dumping on friends when I am sharing my feelings and struggles. It was a good reminder that I am as alone as I choose to be. I only have one local friend and she is always too busy. But I have free call time on my cell phone for calls within the US and I just need to use it and call my friends. Sometimes I feel as though I am still a kid that hasn't figured any of life out! And then other times I realize how much I have learned since I was a kid. Life is a journey and every stage has its own challenges and joys and I need to just get back to enjoying it. I think this last year took a toll on me emotionally and too, my health has not been the best as far as the constant fatigue etc. I am praying that I can get over the hump and kick the pity pot out of the back door. I am not usually so down and dreary - really! I am usually the one cheering everyone else on and seeing the bright side of things. I don't know what has gotten into me that I have been so negative lately! Time to be grateful for the many, many blessings I am privileged to participate in every day.

The rest of today was ok as far as my eating went. I had

Comment

• Today was a down day and DH surprised me by joining me. It will be so nice to be doing it with someone - I hope it works for us to do it together. He has about 20 lbs to lose I think and we all know I have loads to lose. I had just over the 411 calories allowed to me - I misread the calorie count chart and so overshot by about 40 calories. Not really worried about that. I figured it out now so won't do that again.

Breakfast - 1/2 grapefruit and a boiled egg
                  Lunch- 1/2 bottle Kombucha
                  Snack- 2oz raw milk
                  Dinner- 2 boiled eggs, a steamed artichoke and 1/2 avocado.

I have felt hungry all day- and yet have not been tempted to eat. Today my resolve was strong and I am glad. I drank about 8 cups of water ...

We all went shopping for shoes today - usually a sad affair for me as I always seem to need shoes and never seem to be able to find anything. The kids are going to start with some tennis lessons through the homeschool group and I needed to find them some court shoes. And, amazingly, there was a pair of mens zipper boots that I can wear and are comfortable (amazingly they don't press on my heel!) and don't look too weird. All I have had were some crocs and my great big clunky insulated Bog boots. Now I have some footwear that can work for under smart pants or casual. Not that I have smart pants Right now I have only tight pants I am looking forward to Aunt Flo's departure as that will be a few pounds of bloat off and my clothes will fit without too much straining again. I am going to head for bed nice and early tonight after an Epsom salts bath. I have been neglecting my magnesium oil lately and I can feel the cramps lurking in the background wanting to make a showing. Going to shut that little show down before it gets going!

I was on the way to the dairy the other day to pick up our milk share and I got to see the most stunning sunset. Unfortunately I only had my cellphone with me so the pictures did not turn out as nicely as they should have. It was also so windy I could barely stand never mind keep the phone/camera steady! It was one of those sunsets that just take your breath away and it took me quite a bit longer than usual to run to the dairy as I kept on pulling off the road to soak in the latest change in the view!! One of those experiences that leaves you feeling uplifted and with fresh hope and the beauty tank filled to the brim.

214.jpg

219.jpg

224.jpg

Comment

• Gorgeous sunset photos, that was a very special moment indeed and these will be a reminder of the experience. It's so awesome that you took the time to really appreciate and bask in it.

Yay for the shoes and for your DH support on your efforts. Here's to another successful day tomorrow. May your resolve stay strong.
                    Annie Ups the Ante
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

• Wow, that middle picture! It looks like a mountain range was turned upside down. Spectacular.

I'm late to the party(been doing only quick dashes to the forum this past week) so I've just read of you starting ADF. Good job on beginning. The first three Down days are said to be the most difficult, after that, there is a sudden easing. So, you are more than half-way!

I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. I consider it has changed my life.

The plum wine looks beautiful. I must ask: was it AGING in the shower, or is that just where you did the siphoning? I am imagining greeting it every morning as you sudse up!

Comment

• Thanks Annie - funny how much that sunset impacted me. Just felt as though I was breathing in hope and peace and new life. LOL Sabine, we have a shower that is pretty much not usable for washing, so we converted it into a storage for our hooch Being in an old trailer it is one of the coolest places in here and we can't use it anyway - it wouldn't be good for the wine to get as warm as a shower would make it! Heehee - I can picture showering with a long straw to sip on the wine and emerging tipsy to start my day!!

Thanks for the encouragement Sabine! Tomorrow is my third down day. Today's intake was ok, until I had almost a whole chocolate orange that DS declared he didn't want or like! YIKES! Otherwise it has been fine. This morning I was at 215 lbs, but this evening I feel bloated (gee I wonder why!?) I am finding that in the up days I am getting an upset tummy a few hours after getting up. I am wondering if the cream in the tea is too much after a down day with very little fat? I might try waiting until I have breakfast on board, before having my tea next up day, instead of the other way around.

Pot roast beef with cauliflower rice for dinner, lunch was my usual apple and cheese and a few almond and rice crackers, and a good hotdog. Breakfast was a small portion of noosa yoghurt (sweetened - that is probably where my chocolate downfall started!) and a tiny bit of leftover stew after warming some up for DH's lunch.

This is my first period since starting on the progesterone cream and it was much heavier and more protracted than I have had for a long time hopefully that is not going to be the norm. Once I start up the cream again I am going to try doing it twice a day and see how that goes for me. I do feel that it is helping, but the doc did say to try upping it if there is not a marked improvement. Tomorrow is the kid's tennis lessons. I confess I am somewhat nervous - it is the first ever for them and I have not done much at all of ball games. I really hope they don't feel like they are useless and are able to give it a good try. It would be fun to be able to play tennis as a family eventually. I figure it is great exposure for the kids nevertheless - we have always lived far out of town or not had the money to pay for private lessons. This is through the homeschool group that we belong to - hopeful for new beginnings as far as friendships go too.

This evening we are going to try one of our batches of mead that have also been aging in the shower too I will have to take a picture of that too...

Comment

• Wow, I have lots of catching up to do! I am so happy you are doing the same plan as Sabine, it worked so well for her and you can get advice! So great the DH is on board also, that will make it better.

The wine looks great, I wish we could sit around and have a glass or three.
                          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• I would love that Siobhan!! We certainly have enough to share it around - 6 gallons of wine goes a loooooonnng way! And that is not counting the various meads we made. It was too late for me to drink anything alcoholic this evening so will wait until the next up day to try one of the meads. We are trying to find out how to bottle the wine as there is some fizz left - just not sure if it will continue fizzing or if it is just a residual bit of CO2 that needs to be dealt with. I guess I have some research to do - we surely don't want exploding bottles!!!!!! I have to say that my appetite seems to be decreasing as the days progress. I am sure that part of that is my carbs are low again - just praying I don't lose hair again!!

Comment

• The great thing about ADF is that having a chocolate orange on an Up Day is completely acceptable. And I have found that telling myself, 'I can have it tomorrow' makes it much easier to put off eating things, and often, I don't even want it the next day.

Comment

• That is good encouragement Sabine, you are right. It really does help thinking that tomorrow I won't be hungry and those things that look so good today will be just normal tomorrow because I am 'allowed' to have them. This morning was 217 lbs ... I was able to wear my fat pants today without feeling like a sausage stuffed into a skin too small for it! Lovely feeling - thank heavens I am losing weight again, such a relief! Tennis went well though it was a big adjustment for DD especially as she was having to learn how to deal with little kids around her and how to focus on the coach and was missing a fair amount of the instructions as a result. Hopefully she will manage better next time. I wore my new boots today and am thrilled to say they were comfortable and my heel was not provoked Exciting for me - usually after wearing closed shoes my heel throbs for hours after and it stays irritated for days.

I washed my hair this morning and realized that my hair is hardly falling out at all - then I remembered that when I was pregnant my hair just quit falling out until after the babies were born. Progesterone is high in pregnancy - progesterone supplementation simulates pregnancy in a way. Good news for my hair if nothing else!

Comment

Working...
                                X