No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really tired tonight. We have been going to a week long activity for the kids and it is so different for us all that we are all feeling pretty pooped. Tonight hubby and I are going to move the bees to their (hopefully) 'permanent' spot - until we move or the landlord insists on a move.

We visited at a friend's place this afternoon and had lunch there. It was primal, but still heavy on the carbs and not much fat or protein. Both of the kids were asking for snacks on the way home and I felt like I ate too much today. I had a little bag of macadamias with about a tsp of raisins (I was not expecting the carbs at the friends place) and an apple and cheese on the way home. Had a small bowl of butter chicken - it was nowhere near as nice as the last batch I made Will have to try to fix it before we eat anymore of it. I know it is lacking in chili powder as I was out of that... some salt will help too. And next time I need to be sure to have all the ingredients on hand before I start cooking it up!

I was down to 209 this morning - so nice to see the numbers dropping gradually. I was feeling so bad as the numbers kept creeping upwards. Clothes kept 'shrinking' and I got more and more uncomfortable again - and felt so helpless. Those feelings are SO unhelpful!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Feeling as though I am bloated this afternoon - didn't eat anything that would have brought that on. Feeling a little 'hormonal' and almost as if Aunt Flo might drop in early. She's not due for a couple weeks yet so we'll see what happens. hopefully I wake up feeling ok in the morning and the bloat is a thing of the past.

Hubby spoke to the landlord this evening about the bees and he seems fine with us having them, though he is so clueless We chose not to enlighten him at this point, just not worth the energy expenditure sometimes to try and educate someone who isn't open. He wanted to know if having the bee hive will bring more bees to the property - I don't think he realizes that there are loads of bees all the time and this won't mean anything except that my veggie garden is going to do better (and his apple trees) as a result.

I wonder if the bloat is related to my lack of good quality sleep at the moment! I just can't fall asleep nowadays - so frustrating! I feel really tired and then once I am in bed it is as though a switch gets flipped and I can't drop off! Some nights I am taking 2 melatonin and the stuff the doc gave me to settle things down at night doesn't work at all. I guess I should keep trying ... going to hit the sack really early tonight in the hopes that even if it takes a long time to get to sleep maybe I'll be able to drop off before it gets too late. I feel so sleepy in the daytime, driving home from the kids activity this morning I had to work on staying awake!? What is that all about? I have never had an issue with getting to sleep - I have always slept very well. Have always been able to go to sleep really fast - 5 minutes used to be a long time to wait to get to sleep. Ate reasonably well today, though I did have an apple for lunch again and I had three bratwurst at dinner this evening, which was too many I know. But I was feeling as though I still needed something. I mowed the lawn for about 45 minutes today until we ran out of gas. It was really hot so I was glad that it quit when it did ... I also took the dog for a 20 + minute walk this morning.

A deer climbed the steps onto our back porch last night and inhaled pansies, geranium flowers and at least half of my beautiful grafted apple trees that were doing so nicely I never dreamed it would be bold enough to climb wooden steps (4 of them) to get to my precious plants!!!! It better hope I don't catch it messing with my stuff!

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Amazing he can be so clueless! Anyone with apple trees should know you need bees. I have a friend with an orchard - he rents bees!

A friend of mine told me that you can always tell a gardener - when they watch the film "Bambi" they cheer when Bambi's mother dies. (A bit tasteless, but murderous thoughts do occur when one finds one's garden devastated...for the fourth time in a month...)
        My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Lol Siobhan, I probably wouldn't go quite that far - but I am quite ready to take some pot shots with my sling shot!! Going to load everything in some habanero/ garlic spray and see if it is quite as keen to eat my plants. Yup, those are some persistent critters ... and the bunny is trying to dig under the gate to the veggie garden as well! Buster.

Very tired tonight - I am remembering why I am a home body. It is exhausting being around a lot of other people every day! Hubby is home tomorrow - yippee! So happy to be home with no agenda again...

Not sleeping well at all, I tried again the last few nights to see if the caps the doc gave me would help me getting to sleep - no way! It makes it harder for some reason. Not taking those anymore. Couldn't get to sleep last night again. After midnight before I faded out and then woke up often with hubby tossing and turning. Had to drag myself out of bed this morning.

Our new bees are looking very contented and busy which is fun. Going to open them up this weekend and see if the queen is laying eggs as she should We are seeing quite a few of them with their sacs loaded in pollen. ... just a lot of fun for us

Took a walk with the dog this morning and then busy with the kids all morning. Spent a chunk of the afternoon lying on my bed - half asleep but couldn't fall asleep....

Comment

• Well, what a weekend! TMI warning! Friday afternoon I started feeling bad, ate a really small supper that I shouldn't have because I wasn't feeling hungry. Started to get a really sore stomach ache and then spent the night puking and pooping. Food poisoning - eventually figured out it was some cheese that I bought that I think had not been handled properly. No-one else had any thank heavens!!! because that was a nasty thing there. I think I pulled a muscle just below my ribs from the force of the vomiting! Feverish for a while and then slept really well Sat night and thought I was getting over it. I sipped on kefir and kombucha the whole time. Had scrambled eggs for breakfast which seemed to be fine. At lunch time DD brought me a breakfast sausage (which I should have refused but was swayed by her sweet face and the fact that my tummy felt much better) and I had some chicken broth with some veg boiled in it. Spent the afternoon running to the bathroom Slept well again last night and this morning I am trying some scrambled eggs again. Not sure what else to eat. In my old days we used to eat plain crackers after an upset stomach but that would make everything worse now! I think I will just stick with scrambled eggs and plain chicken broth. I am feeling really weak and tired. I have been putting magnesium oil on to try and replace some of what I lost and I took an Epsom salts bath with essential oils in too which seemed to help break the fever (?) Drinking herbal tea and water plus the kefir and kombucha. I really don't want to trigger anything again! I lost over 5 pounds this weekend!! But I know it was not a good way and I am sure as I rehydrate that will pick up. Of course this morning I feel like I am getting a cold and Aunt Flo has arrived!!! Talk about bad timing! Grr! Feeling rather overwhelmed with the assault. And I am thinking that I usually retain a lot of water when Aunt Flo drops in so may have lost even more than it seems.

So there is my saga of the weekend. I get up for a few minutes and then have to go and lie down again. Got to go and water my garden then it is back to bed for me! Have a good day all!

Comment

• Boy, I feel as strong as a newborn kitten! Just watering the gardens and the planters and picking a few peas and a couple heads of lettuce is about enough to send me to bed! I ended up eating scrambled eggs for breakfast and dinner yesterday and applesauce for lunch. Otherwise I had popsicles made from coconut water and blueberries. Everything was tolerated fine, so today will increase the amounts and if all is well during the day I may have a light dinner. Talk about a boost in the weight loss department! Another pound down since yesterday - this is certainly NOT my favourite way to do it, but at least there is a benefit to all the nastiness... I got brave and put on one of my sleeveless shirts today, I know my arms are really way too fat to wear something like this but there are only the kids to see me.

If I can summon up the energy today I may try to inflate the kiddies pool and clean it out and fill it. The weather is so hot and I know the kids will have a blast playing in it. Just too hot to enjoy being outside except early morning and late evening but the mosquitoes are in full force at the moment too. There is a swampy area in the pasture below the irrigation ditch and it breeds them in squadrons!! Fortunately the Burt's Bees insect repellant really works so I don't have to worry about getting all those toxins on board when we go out. Love that stuff - it even works to keep chiggers off!! Excellent stuff - you do need to reapply from time to time, but I love the herbaceous smell so that works just fine for us

I spent the day watching movies and reading books yesterday Not often that I give myself permission to have a day like that - but at the moment I can only be up and about for a short while before lying down again. I found the series by Mary O'Hara that I adored as a child, My Friend Flicka etc. Filmed in 1943 and I am loving it - so many flashbacks to my childhood and my horse dreams ....

Comment

• Yesterday was the first day that I felt totally normal. BM's are not yet up and running after the craziness but otherwise I was able to do all my chores and cook and clean normally and no weakness. My weight had dropped to 203 lbs for a couple of days but has gone up to 206.5 lb now and seems stable there. Now that I feel better I can look at eating a balanced diet again and look to continuing my journey to health.

Yesterday I made DS and I huaraches from kits I bought. Very comfortable and as close to barefoot as I can get and still be allowed in stores. Also helps to protect my feet from thorns - we have plenty of goat heads and cactus around here. I am not planning on trying these on the cactus but hopefully they'll protect me if we have an accidental encounter. I am pleased with how they turned out. DS is delighted too - he has been complaining that the soil is too hot for him to walk on barefoot now, he hates shoes and is almost always barefoot. I think these are going to be a good compromise for us. Of course it is a mission to get them adjusted just right - especially on a fidgety kid's foot! But we are almost there, and then it is a pull on sandal and no more messing with it required.

DSCN6561.jpg

DSCN6568.jpg

We are going to look at another house this afternoon. Will have to see if it could work for us. About 900 sq ft on about 2.5 verticle acres with a little plot across the road and on the river. Feeling hopeful and yet cautious. It hasn't been lived in for about 2 1/2 years as the old man who lived there before passed away. Needs a lot of work - question is, "How much and what kind?"
                It is up in the mountains and the elevation would take care of the worst of the heat that would be awesome!!

We are working on getting the chickens moved to the veggie garden area this weekend. THen the dog will have the run of the backyard and should also keep the deer and bunnies at bay while my grapevines etc do their thing.

Comment

• Are those Xero shoes? I have them too! Loooove them! If I'm not barefoot I have my huaraches on
                  My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                  My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                  Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                  Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Like the huraches. I can't stand having things between my toes, though. Is there a type that just does an across the toe band? How neat that you made them yourself.

What's a verticle (vertical?) acre?

Our first house was 900 square feet. It had a circular layout- perfect for kids to run around.
                    Last edited by Sabine; 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Yes Candy, they are Xero shoes Still trying to figure out exactly how to tie them. I seem to have them too tight right now but any looser and they start sliding off my heel. I may need to try a different configuration for them. Sabine I have seen pics of people tying them in ways that don't require going between the toes ...

Vertical acreage is when all the land is a very steep mountainside The place could have worked if it hadn't had such big issues that had been left for too long - think major water damage, never mind the other multiple issues. Mark that one off the list and go back to waiting. We ate out tonight for a change and while I enjoyed not having to make dinner I can feel that the food didn't really agree with me It is sad when you enjoy your own homemade food more than restaurant food - I feel healthy and satisfied when I eat at home. Not so with food cooked elsewhere.

Comment

• There are very clear instructions on different ways to tie the xero shoes on their website.
                        My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                        My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                        Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                        Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Yes, I saw that Candy, this is one of the ways that they showed ... I just may need to tweak it a little for my particular foot shape, or try a different one. I do like how this one looks ... we'll see. Which tying style do you use?

Comment

• I took a look. Very interesting. I may have to put those on my Christmas list. (Behind the spiral vegetable cutter!)

Comment

• Sabine they are very affordable!

I have figured out why my huaraches were not fitting too well! My feet were swollen toward the end of the day - that is why they seemed fine and then started to dig into my feet. So I need to adjust them for my feet when they are not swollen and just go barefoot when they are swollen. Hopefully that will settle down eventually. I am considering having my mercury amalgams removed by a biological dentist. So many of my symptoms seem to be very closely related to those of heavy metal toxicity. I have loads of fillings from my sugar addict days and have had some of them removed and replaced at various times along with all the routine immunizations and then the many extras that I had when I was working as an RN for about 10 years. But, not advisable to try to detox until I have at least removed the main source of it from my body.

The kids and I went for a short walk together. DS ran the whole way in his huaraches and it gave me a thrill when I remembered how different it was when we first arrived here. He used to hardly run at all and was in constant pain. Now his back and foot hardly ever trouble him. We had initially taken the route of the special shoes and insoles recommended by the chiropractor but saw no improvement whatsoever from those. The actual adjustments definitely seemed to help a lot. Since he has taken to going barefoot nearly all the time he has hardly any pain anymore. He is to the point of detesting shoes - says they feel like prisons for his feet I can relate.

I was hoping to start taking bagpipe lessons again - private ones this time. BUT the teacher that was recommended has suddenly moved away As you can imagine there are not very many bagpipe teachers around. Pretty bummed about that. Oh well ...

Comment

• Why not just buy a chanter and try find lessons on youtube? I know it's not the same but at least you can plan it around your own schedule.
                                SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333
                                Current Weight as of Nov 25 2015: 248
                                Short Term Goal: Fit into the shirts I got on my honeymoon at disney and universal in august next year when I go back to for my 1 year anniversary
                                Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension
                                Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
                                Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Comment

Working...
                                X