No announcement yet.

Primal journal : Coll

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, we started school again today. Nice to finally get going again, now i just need to sort out all the details and ... and...
    DH built me a nice fence around the raised vegetable gardens that will keep (hopefully!) the bunnies and deer out. I picked an 18 oz tomato today because it is starting to split - still totally green! So it can ripen on the counter I guess. Sprayed all of my flowers and veggies with a liquid kelp mixture that will hopefully prolong their fruitfulness

Our wine is going crazy at the moment! We added the wine yeast yesterday afternoon and today it is bubbling over every time I turn around! I have to put a clean towel on every time I stir it (at least 5 times today) so I can see my work is going to be cut out for me keeping up, and we haven't even added the sugar yet - that is when the fermentation is supposed to really get going and bubble over! Yikes. We have the wine in a pot in a plastic tub to catch all the froth as it comes over the edge (didn't think the landlord would appreciate it all over their carpets!)

Not sure exactly what I ate today - too much going on. It was primal, but probably was too much, is my guess if I take note of how my stomach is feeling What with school and starting a new math curriculum and trying to preserve the remaining plums and somehow get off my feet for more than a minute at a time I am rather frazzled!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 221.4 lbs
    Goal weight: 140 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Hi Coll, finally caught up with your journal . I hope the pain in your ankle/muscles will get better soon! I know what it's like living with tight muscles and pain day in day out (for years and years), I'm still grateful everyday that I can live with almost no pain anymore!
      My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
      My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
      Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
      Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Mercy! Just reading about your massage made me wince.
        Like the pictures of you and yours.

Comment

• I feel so bad for you - I suffered horribly with plantar fascitis for years and when I read your post I got bad flashbacks. I hope you get resolution soon.
          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Thanks folks School has gone relatively well this week and the kids love their new math curriculum. They want to do math first which is a lovely change.

I have changed my computer station to a seated one again for the moment so that I can take the weight off my feet from time to time. It does help a bit not being on my feet all day. I have not been doing well with my eating lately. Totally undisciplined, too much chocolate (48%) and not enough veggies. I find that I do need a decent amount of veggies or I start craving things too. My feet have been so sore that by the time dinner time rolls around I can't bear the thought of standing in the kitchen preparing and cooking veg. I just need to plan better I know, have just felt overwhelmed with trying to get school routine up and running as well as my usual chores and then we are also making wine (Grok style) which takes a bit of babying. And now the fruit flies have moved in and I am waging war on their annoying little persons! Today the wine goes into the carboy with the airlock on so that should diminish the fruit fly episode as well as my homemade traps. I tried one that didn't work so have to try the next design. I must say that the wine smells lovely! I know it is at least a year or more before it will be worth drinking but it is such a fun little experiment. I think I might try making 1 gallon at a time until I have some recipes worked out and then if it doesn't work I am not going to want to cry because of all the work going down the drain. It took us quite a while to cut up and clean 3 gallons of plums! Fortunately they were free so if it doesn't work out it is only our time that was wasted. However, when I stirred it this morning I tasted it and it definitely tasted like the beginnings of wine. Nothing weird going on in there yet - whew.

I am really needing to get back on track with my eating. I have been just eating on the run and grabbing bits and pieces as I go which is a recipe for eating too much and the wrong stuff. I have got to kick the chocolate habit again - still not as bad as my rolo habit in the 'old' days but it is not a sensible indulgence anymore! On the plus side - I haven't gained weight (Aunt Flo dropped in so a little water retention) even though my eating hasn't been optimal. But, I also don't feel as good as I was either. And while I am very happy that I haven't gained weight, I REALLY want to lose more fat and that is not happening! I still have about 56.5 pounds to go and that is too much for me to get comfortable with! I just have to get my head straight again and get organised and work on getting better sleep.

I 'managed' to avoid having a follow up massage this week because I just couldn't quite face it with everything else I have on my plate right now. So, Monday is the next one and with a different massage therapist. I am hoping, quite emphatically, that she will be a little kinder even if it is not exactly pleasant... My muscles are back to very tight - if I like this ladies massage I will go ahead and try to get her booked sooner than the last. Not the cheapest thing to do very often, but if it helps I will glad to do it. It just wears on me being in pain every moment I am on my feet and every step I take. I know that we all have issues to deal with - I just want to move on. Figure out what to do, what exercises, stretches, foods etc to do or not and then move onto the next issue. I so want to be healthy and able to move and enjoy being physically active again.

So, today, I am going to eat lots of veggies, no chocolate and try to get to bed at a good time. Decided to take a break from school today though I had originally planned on doing it today too. I think we could all use a break after a good weeks work.

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

Comment

• Let me know when the wine is ready, I'll be stopping by.
              Last edited by Siobhan; 08-25-2012, 04:29 PM.

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Comment

• Party at Coll's house!

Comment

• Oh yeah! I'd love to have you all over for a party We have the wine into the carboy for the secondary fermentation cycle. What fun. THe whole family joined in at various stages and DD even said she wants to do this with her husband, when she is older and married Cute...

I have wrapped it in a towel to catch the overflow and protect it from the light for now. There is something so fun about watching it bubbling away - alive and busy morphing (hopefully!) into delicious wine. It smells really good.

I am off for my next massage this afternoon, pretty nervous about that I confess. Trying to be cool and positive but rather dreading the pain. I have been taking Wobenzyme for a few days now and that definitely seems to be taking the edge off the pain for me. Hopefully this afternoon is a better experience - I am also going prepared to ask her to stop to give me a break, even if she thinks I am a wimp...

I have gained a few pounds lately, up to 194 again. Sigh, just got a lot on my plate and haven't been sleeping enough. However, DH has said that he will join me in trying to get to sleep at a good time. I got 9 hours sleep last night and it was heavenly! I feel much better as a result today. DH has talked me out of trying to do a whole 30 for right now as I have a lot of stress going on right now and he feels that it will be too much on top of all that. Said that instead he will help me get to bed at a better time and we can start there. I know that sleep is key - so agreed.

Comment

• Wanted to share a quick pic of our biggest tomato yet - 18oz!

Comment

• Woah, what a big tomato! The wine looks good too.
                      How did the massage go? I sure hope it's helping you.
                      Sleep is really important. I can tell if I didn't get enough sleep on how I eat, like today: was hungry all morning, I have more coffee and I just went down to the coffee bar and bought chocolate (as dark as I could find here at work, which is only 48% ). But at least all the rest of my eating was primal so I'm not going to sweat it .
                      My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
                      My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
                      Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
                      Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Comment

• Well, my massage was quite bearable yesterday. Different girl and different style, she got some areas that the other girl didn't address and was a lot gentler. I was talking to DH and I think I am going to alternate between the two of them as they both seem to help different areas and the one I definitely need time to recover from. This Friday will be seeing the intense girl - but made sure to only book a half hour massage And I am ready with brakes again. Yesterday I took a hanky in with me as last time I had nothing to mop my nose with - and of course I didn't need it this time, lol, isn't that just the way it goes!

I am SO enjoying my gardens Especially since the landlord basically told me that the 'experts' say it can't and shouldn't be done the way I am doing it! So we have miracle tomatoes ripening on the vine and my table and counter and fridge are full of harvest waiting for me to do something with it. I think I am going to make gazpacho leather today - a yummy snack and will help me get more veggies in too. DH loves the gazpacho leather too - kids find it too spicy though. Our zucchini chips went down very well with some guacamole the other evening and DH is delighted as he is a big chip fan. He is thrilled to have a substitute for dipping. DS tried some and declined, DD decided she really liked the combo.

Yesterday, I ate more than a whole bar of chocolate! It was about 40 g of carbs, and I did feel bad after indulging. I think it is an emotional reaction to the massage - I need to come up with something healthy to do to unwind after a painful session instead of chocolate. I always feel shaky and nauseated after I am done ... maybe I should fast and instead find a relaxing activity to do for a short while to transition back into life! I must think about this ... taking a walk is not going to work (for obvious reasons) though that is my first thought. It would be good to be something I could just do in the car before driving home as I feel so spacey when I walk out of there. Wonder if part of it is toxins being released into my system. Maybe I should take a chilled bottle of kombucha to sit and drink in the car while listening to some good music... Mmm, I think I will try that on Friday. That should be sweet enough to satisfy the desire for sweet while not being too much.

7 1/2 hrs sleep last night - not as good. But we'll just keep trying. I would love to get to an earlier bedtime - I have always loved waking up early when everyone else is sleeping and having time to myself and seeing the day arrive. Something so therapeutic about being up with the dawn and breathing that early morning air - especially now that we are heading into fall. Going to avoid snacking today, and going to try to avoid any chocolate at all ... I have had too much of it every day for over a week now! 194 lb this morning, I am ready to go down again. Ready to make the effort to be disciplined... we'll see what I report this evening...

Comment

• OK, I did much better yesterday. No chocolate and no snacking Man, I was surprised to see how much of a difference that made in how I felt. And I know that part of it was just psychological because it feels so much better than being a bit out of control. I also felt hungry for dinner for the first time in quite some time! Felt good! And I had a little space left after I was done eating which also felt good. So I had gazpacho (almost everything from our gardens) and german sausage for lunch. Plenty tea during the morning, with my usual cream and stevia. I had a nectarine and a piece of good cheese just before dinner and then we had lamb shanks roasted in the crock pot. I am going to make a soup out of the leftovers ... yum!

School was tough today. None of us felt like doing it and it just took forever it seemed. Funny how some days just flow so easily and others grind away like a car whose gears are stripped and just about out of fuel! Yesterday, none of us could get to sleep in the evening .... we all got to bed at a good time but just couldn't settle. All I can think is that we were all feeling too warm or there was a change in the air pressure because our food was all the normal stuff with nothing bad or different in it.

OK, so DH and I are having so much fun that we started two 1 gallon batches of mead yesterday too One is a blackberry mead and the other is a peach mead. Much stirring and singing of songs over the pots today (lol) waiting for the yeasts to move in a take over. Feel very 'Grokkish' doing it like this - just found it totally uninspiring reading the 'how to' stuff on the conventional way of making wines etc. This however, is loads of fun, just the opposite for me. I love the idea of doing stuff the way it has been done for generations all over the world with whatever you may have an excess of ... whether that may be plums, or dandelion flowers, or honey etc. I can't wait to see how these all turn out ... Now I need to let all my friends and family know that we need them to save their wine bottles for the next year so that we can bottle these all.

Today I ate - tea with cream and stevia. Gazpacho and fried eggs for lunch with dessert of apple with chunk of cheese. 5 pieces of chocolate this afternoon. Going to try and stop right there ... before another bar gets consumed!
                          Dinner - not sure yet...

Comment

• Lamb shanks...must have lamb shanks...and mead...

Comment

• I have quite the compulsive mead making going on... I had some honey water left over and some home grown pears that are not getting eaten fast enough so I have just over a quart of pear mead going to... just to use up the bits

Did better the last couple of days with my eating though this afternoon saw a little chocolate snack happen Gazpacho for dinner tonight with burger patties. Probably peaches and cream for dessert - fresh peaches that is. Breakfast was a piece of left over german sausage and a fried egg and some veggies from the garden. Lunch was an apple and a chunk of cheese (chives added - yum!) Chocolate (8 pieces for a snack) and I think that was all today.

Did a fair amount of sitting today - so my heel is feeling much easier and the rest of me is restless and wanting to MOVE! Tomorrow is my dreaded massage - got to psych myself up for this I am afraid. I find myself getting a racing heart rate and taking lots of deep breaths. Will have my arnica ready for slathering on as soon as she is done ... Sometimes I can't believe I am paying someone to do this to me... but I do seem to be moving a lot easier than I have for a long time so it seems to be worth it.

Comment

• I hope it goes easier tomorrow! Maybe the worst it over? There is always hope.

Pear mead...wish I lived closer to you...

Comment

Working...
                                X